Print Thread
Duval County #8457416 11/23/21 10:19 PM
H
Hubby and Wife Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
H
Is Duval County still a terrible place to hunt? Hubby looking at buying some land there. I'm on the fence.

Re: Duval County [Re: Hubby and Wife] #8457865 11/24/21 02:01 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Hubby and Wife
Is Duval County still a terrible place to hunt? Hubby looking at buying some land there. I'm on the fence.

Not terrible, actually some good deer can be found but as always will depend on the hunting practices of surrounding properties; quite a few "shot out" smaller and larger ranches so be leary. Also some historic night hunting down that way sometimes done by law enforcement of all people.

Re: Duval County [Re: Hubby and Wife] #8457883 11/24/21 02:12 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Lot of very old subdivided tracts of land that have been overhunted for years and are for sale very often. There are some good places still but you have to research very well to find the good areas. Google Earth can tell you a lot about the area you are looking at as well as the county CAD records. Big deer are not everywhere in that county. Well water can be an issue also depending on the exact area you are looking at. If had my choice, I would look in La Salle County or Frio County. If you are looking for just hunting then you might look at places in the Edwards Plateau or Central Texas.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Duval County [Re: Hubby and Wife] #8457901 11/24/21 02:29 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
We hunted a while a few miles out of Realitos, so sometimes we would roll into the bar in town. The owner would show us all the deer he shot off the asphalt ranch. But then again that happens just about everywhere.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt
Re: Duval County [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8457915 11/24/21 02:45 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
We hunted a while a few miles out of Realitos, so sometimes we would roll into the bar in town. The owner would show us all the deer he shot off the asphalt ranch. But then again that happens just about everywhere.

Reality and Benavides area historically known for poaching.

Re: Duval County [Re: Hubby and Wife] #8457917 11/24/21 02:45 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Realitos

Re: Duval County [Re: Hubby and Wife] #8458066 11/24/21 05:11 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

Hunted Duval County for over 35 years. It's never been a terrible County to hunt, but there are plenty of smaller leases that are terrible places to hunt. Like anywhere else it's all about location and neighbors, the hunting can be good or bad. I personally like hunting Duval, not just for deer/pigs/turkey but the dove & quail hunting can be extremely good and is most years. I personally favor the SE area of Duval around Concepcion and Rios. Road hunting and poachers are everywhere in the State, not just down there. I would rather deal with them than the mojados and the damage that they can and do cause.

I'm saving to buy my own place as well, and if I can find a place that I like and can afford in Duval I'll probably be buying it.

Re: Duval County [Re: skinnerback] #8458071 11/24/21 05:21 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by skinnerback

Hunted Duval County for over 35 years. It's never been a terrible County to hunt, but there are plenty of smaller leases that are terrible places to hunt. Like anywhere else it's all about location and neighbors, the hunting can be good or bad. I personally like hunting Duval, not just for deer/pigs/turkey but the dove & quail hunting can be extremely good and is most years. I personally favor the SE area of Duval around Concepcion and Rios. Road hunting and poachers are everywhere in the State, not just down there. I would rather deal with them than the mojados and the damage that they can and do cause.

I'm saving to buy my own pla as well, and if I can find a place that I like and can afford in Duval I'll probably be buying it.

Agree, Conception and Rios seems to be a more secluded part of the county.

Re: Duval County [Re: DQ Kid] #8458076 11/24/21 05:32 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Originally Posted by skinnerback

I'm saving to buy my own pla as well, and if I can find a place that I like and can afford in Duval I'll probably be buying it.

Agree, Conception and Rios seems to be a more secluded part of the county.

I like that area a whole lot better than Benavides/Realitos. I was on a lease one year just outside of Benavides. I hunted every weekend for the entire season and shot the only deer I saw on the place. Yep, one deer all season lol. It could be worse though. I was also on a lease one year just outside of Rio Grande City that I hunted every weekend and never saw a deer, then "someone" stole all of my stuff.

Anyway, it's amazing just how much better the hunting gets from one area to another within the same County.

Re: Duval County [Re: Hubby and Wife] #8458088 11/24/21 05:44 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Benavides and Realitos way overhunted areas with tons of road hunting. Went to high school with yahoo's in mid to late 80s whom bragged about hunting their Benavides lease and the county roads too. Bad guys not respecting
property lines or laws. Sad thing is they were Corpus Christi Country Club punks that knew way better and had more money than sense but did it "just because and were bored"

Last edited by DQ Kid; 11/24/21 05:47 PM.
Re: Duval County [Re: DQ Kid] #8458102 11/24/21 05:59 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Benavides and Realitos way overhunted areas with tons of road hunting. Went to high school with yahoo's in mid to late 80s whom bragged about hunting their Benavides lease and the county roads too. Bad guys not respecting
property lines or laws. Sad thing is they were Corpus Christi Country Club punks that knew way better and had more money than sense but did it "just because and were bored"

Yep, have been around a lot of those guys myself.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2021 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide