Print Thread
Powderhorn SP & Sambar ?'s #8451593 11/17/21 07:49 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Been following the post's about hunting Sambar and /or Axis at Powderhorn, with the hope of drawing a spot there next year.
1st ?...what is the suggested minimum caliber rifle and bullet weight needed for Sambar? About like Nilgi? Average expected range on shot's taken on Sambar? The Axis I've seen in the field over the years are about like White Tails and I expect to become more "educated" after this season's hunt at SLRSP in late January/early February after White Tail season is over in the surrounding private hunting pastures.

Over the last couple years, after I sold off my bigger boomer's in 300Wmg, 7Rmg & the dumbest thing I ever sold was a cherry CZ 550 in 9.3x62 I got to hunt one time, with Crazy Horse, and after my multiple health issues became a real problem, we moved down here to get out of VA Dallas's Service area & into Temple VA's coverage area with multiple surgery's, putting a real dent in my outlook on doing anything outdoors. Best move I ever made anywhere without a doubt.

Since then, I've only shot a pair of 270's with mostly factory 130 &140gr'er's and not spent any range time at all with the 6.5x55 Tikka or the 7x57 Winchester Fwt and why I am not comfortable enough to depend either one of them right now. Both guns have just had a new to me bigger scopes mounted on both of them as of about a month ago, with lot's of ammo components left over from the old days before I quit shooting at all, and dumped the Magnum's & Texoma Goose guns.

Looking forward to hearing about Sambar, with pic's or mebbe Red Deer, Aoudad or a nice sized Nilgi, there is still some empty space on the trophy wall beside Mr Bill Carter's West Texas Mule deer, but the BH is wanting to redecorate with her stuff if I don't start to fill it up ...and she won't let me hang the 22lb Rattlesnake 5' + skin I shot with a 22 lr pistol and carried out thru a mesquite pasture in the dark with out a flashlight, while looking at a new lease just west of Brownwood...another oop's story... Randle Weem's is/was not the only crazy #@*&% around here...God Bless him.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 11/17/21 08:03 PM. Reason: clarity

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Powderhorn SP & Sambar ?'s [Re: WileyCoyote] #8451820 11/17/21 11:21 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
That is one of the toughest ones to draw. I did not get drawn the year before with 26 points cubed and did not expect to draw last year with 27. There is near 100 people showing up trying for standby. I would not worry about planning for that one until you do get the golden ticket. But that said, I did draw it last season. I always enjoy your hunting enthusiasm. So I will bite.

I carried a 300 wby with Norma 180 gr Bonded Oryx bullets. My backup rifle that I never took out of the case was a 6.5x55 with 130 Swift scirocco IIs. I normally use the cheapest soft point ammo I can find for 100 yard deer stand hunting, but this being a once in a lifetime type hunt for me, I wanted something better. I think most hunters there did not have to take long shots. I did practice for such shots just in case, but on the hunt I was never in a spot where a long shot would have been needed. I got the impression Axis were not very plentiful on the WMA and don't believe anyone on my hunt even saw one. It's possible they come and go from the area.

The Sambar I shot was running angled away at very close range. And by close range I'm talkin I could have thrown a rock at it and hit it close. The Bullet entered mid body, angled through the body diagonally, through stomach, then lungs, then hitting ribs on opposite side it deflected forward breaking ribs. The bullet finally stopped just under the skin on the outside of the shoulder. The bullet pulled stomach contents, lung tissue, and rip pieces with it into the shoulder. The bullet did not exit. The bullet fell on the ground while I was skinning the animal. When I made that shot the Sambar did not react to it and kept trotting along like nothing happened. It turned a corner and out of sight. I ran with my tripod and rifle until I could see it again, planted my feet with rifle cradled on tripod trying to follow through on the running animal. I later found I had made a pass through broadside gut shot. Again the animal did not react to the shot and kept going. I was freaking out with myself confused with how in the heck could I have missed both those shots, but obviously I did not miss and the Sambar fell over dead after traveling a few yards further.

After going on this hunt, I would say I might not recommend anything smaller than a 270 and at least 150 gr bullets of an appropriate bullet construction for large game. Although I say that, I probably would still take my 6.5x55 as my backup only because it is my main hunting rifle and what I am most familiar with. Bullet placement is going to be very important for a Sambar. A change I would make is to use 140gr A frames instead of the 130gr Sciroccos, but course the 6.5x55 still would not be my primary rifle for this hunt. Only if I dropped the 300 and banged the scope as an example.

[Linked Image]

Re: Powderhorn SP & Sambar ?'s [Re: WileyCoyote] #8451928 11/18/21 01:13 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Outstanding critter you harvested ...what a picture !! Yes I understand the difficulty in drawing the Big Time destinations. Gonna be looking at Bend & some others harder this year an do some on site visitation.

Before we bought the house here in Dogwood Country we spent several weekends west & north of Belton looking at several different lakes and associated hunting possibilities. Got close on a couple but just could not pull the trigger.. until the added pressure popped up to DO SOMETHING PDQ to have a place my oldest son's wife could come "home" to and rehab at, after the planned "last" cancer surgery scheduled for the following February.

I've become a firm believer the God laughs at the best laid plans of Man, especially me. We sold the Texoma property in 30 days and moved down here the end of April of '16, busy as beavers for months to update this old house...and my DiL passed peacefully in September, after 13 cancer surgeries in 6 years, the fight ended sooner than we planned was God's choice, as it always is, and was a blessing for her and all of us too.

Since then my time has been rearranged to facilitate our growth in the Antiques and collectable Furniture business, and business has been good after a totally new to us slow learning curve start. My BH of soon to be 54 years is beginning to encourage my outdoor alone time while I can still enjoy it. That's why this post was started since I am a planner & plotter of events rather than just sit in my chair and "ugh watch TV".

I've spent most of my work life travelling most of the the US selling consumer stuff to retailer's of one sort or another and I miss the alone time to plot and plan then execute the Plan....sound familiar to this post? Still got places to See, Things to Accomplish and Souveniers to collect and prove I really had been there. One of my most treasured things is a rock from the beach at Dover England...with a hole thru it.. only place in the world this kind of rock exist's ...right in front of the White Cliff's ....that my father had taught his P-51 pilots to fight all the way across the Channel to cross and make it HOME.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 11/18/21 01:16 AM. Reason: clarity

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Powderhorn SP & Sambar ?'s [Re: WileyCoyote] #8452257 11/18/21 01:04 PM
C
Cajun Raider Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Congratulations on the Sambar.

Don't talk the talk if you didn't walk the walk.
Re: Powderhorn SP & Sambar ?'s [Re: Sniper John] #8452974 11/19/21 01:49 AM
J
J. Richard Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Sniper John, Congrats on the Sambar. How does the mount look? Any pics?

Re: Powderhorn SP & Sambar ?'s [Re: WileyCoyote] #8453342 11/19/21 02:05 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Very cool

Re: Powderhorn SP & Sambar ?'s [Re: J. Richard] #8454241 11/20/21 03:53 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by J. Richard
Sniper John, Congrats on the Sambar. How does the mount look? Any pics?

Still waiting on it. I'm sure it's covid's fault.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide