Help with hog hunting during deer season #8452175 11/18/21 10:44 AM
B
Bob Warner Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can advise me on what I want to do.

My girlfriend's parents have 60 acres in Montague County. They have a HUGE hog problem. I have a brother that lives in Michigan who wants to hunt hogs and luckily they are not in Michigan (YET).

We have permission to hunt the hogs on the 60 acres. Unfortunately the only time he gets vacation is at Christmas time. If I read the rules correctly he would not need a license since it is private land with permission. I read that even out of state people do not need a license.

Assuming that is all true, how do you convince a Game Warden that you are not hunting deer? If there is shooting, especially at dusk or nighttime with spotlights and night vision scopes? Shooting at evening/night could prompt a call to the Wardens or Sheriff.

Please try to point me to something I can have on me showing we would be legal if someone calls in and the law shows up.

Thanks for any help.

Bob

PS: Look twice for motorcycles
Re: Help with hog hunting during deer season [Re: Bob Warner] #8452232 11/18/21 12:37 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I think it would get you some points if you built a corral trap for them. Some panels, a home-made plywood guillotine door, etc. I know it doesn't help your brother "hunt" them that much, but just thinking down the road. He might be able to help you build it. Keep the panels no higher than 4' so deer can jump out. Hand bait or put an old feeder in there.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Help with hog hunting during deer season [Re: Bob Warner] #8452243 11/18/21 12:52 PM
B
Bob Warner Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Creekrunner,

Thanks for the reply.

I have built pen traps in the past and made swinging door gates. Put one on a guys land and he called me that evening to tell me there were 9 hogs in it. I went in the morning and there were 13. Got to love it. Best hog bait is another hog chowing down.

My girlfriends dad does not trust people on his land since he had a stroke and I have been out of commission due to health issues.

I made him a similar trap to the above but he wants to wait for my brother to come hunt, then go all out catching and killing as many as possible.

I just don't want my brother to get in trouble with a warden that accuses him of hunting deer. He has wanted to kill hogs for many years and this is his least expensive option.

Bob

Re: Help with hog hunting during deer season [Re: Bob Warner] #8452248 11/18/21 12:57 PM
G
garyrapp55 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
G
Call the GW ahead of time and notify/explain/ask. Poachers don't do that, at least I assume they don't.

Last edited by garyrapp55; 11/18/21 12:58 PM.
Re: Help with hog hunting during deer season [Re: garyrapp55] #8452251 11/18/21 01:00 PM
B
Bob Warner Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Yea,probably the best route. Thanks.

Bob

Re: Help with hog hunting during deer season [Re: Bob Warner] #8452290 11/18/21 01:28 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
There’s a new GW in Montague County. A young guy. I’ve met him but don’t remember his name. I saw him and introduced myself. Heck, he already knew who I was and where my land was.

The previous one, Chase McCaninch, got promoted to Lieutenant and is teaching at the GW School.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Help with hog hunting during deer season [Re: Dave Davidson] #8452381 11/18/21 02:47 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Bob Warner
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can advise me on what I want to do.

My girlfriend's parents have 60 acres in Montague County. They have a HUGE hog problem. I have a brother that lives in Michigan who wants to hunt hogs and luckily they are not in Michigan (YET).

We have permission to hunt the hogs on the 60 acres. Unfortunately the only time he gets vacation is at Christmas time. If I read the rules correctly he would not need a license since it is private land with permission. I read that even out of state people do not need a license.

Assuming that is all true, how do you convince a Game Warden that you are not hunting deer? If there is shooting, especially at dusk or nighttime with spotlights and night vision scopes? Shooting at evening/night could prompt a call to the Wardens or Sheriff.

Please try to point me to something I can have on me showing we would be legal if someone calls in and the law shows up.

Thanks for any help.

I hunt hogs in Montague County.

There is nothing you can have that will substantiate that you are not hunting deer. You can have a trap. People have hog traps and still poach deer. You can call the GW ahead of time (which is a waste of their time) and tell them you aren't hunting deer, but why should he believe you? Maybe that is just an invitation for him to come out and ruin your hunt...to make sure you aren't hunting deer. You can have a letter from the landowner saying you have permission to hunt hogs, but that doesn't mean you aren't poaching deer. I once gave a guy permission to bring his son to get his first deer on my property and he decided he needed to shoot predators (his son wasn't even with him). I didn't give him permission to hunt or hunt predators.

YOU don't have to prove or convince them that you are no hunting deer or cattle or horses. They have to prove that you are.

The only thing I would suggest is that if y'all do hunt deer and then hunt hogs, have a picture of your dead deer in daylight to prove it was taken during legal hours.

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
There’s a new GW in Montague County. A young guy. I’ve met him but don’t remember his name. I saw him and introduced myself. Heck, he already knew who I was and where my land was.

The previous one, Chase McCaninch, got promoted to Lieutenant and is teaching at the GW School.

He got promoted? He was the one that came to check on me for night hunting a cemetery...which the cemetery association asked that I do since the graves were being rooted. I explained this to him and showed him the damage. And then he started his fishing expedition when I asked why he was there and he said he "had a report" of somebody hunting at night and wanted to know if I had a letter giving me permission to hunt. I explained, politely, that there is no legal requirement of having a letter to hunt on private property. He then wanted the contact number for the cemetery association and I again explained that there is no legal requirement for me to provide that information and he replied that he could order me to leave the property. Again, I explained to him that since he did not have a valid complaint from the landowner (and if he did, he would have their phone number), that he had no probable cause to take action. He checked my license and left.

The bottom line is, people may call. Don't be doing anything illegal. The GW comes, checks, and will leave.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Help with hog hunting during deer season [Re: Bob Warner] #8452394 11/18/21 02:55 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
I've hunted hogs many times over Christmas in Cooke Co., just call the GW and let them know he will be hog hunting. He won't be poaching unless he has a deer down.
Let the GW know you'll be using a light at night and he'll be on private property, should be no issues.

Re: Help with hog hunting during deer season [Re: Bob Warner] #8452502 11/18/21 04:29 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
You are correct, no license required on private land (for residents or non residents) WITH landowner permission.

A 'Courtesy Call' ahead of time might prevent your hunt from being disturbed, but don't count on it.

Have all your ducks in row as much as possible and go for it. Good luck, have fun, be careful.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Help with hog hunting during deer season [Re: Bob Warner] #8452848 11/18/21 11:16 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
How much is a bare bones out of state license? Maybe that cost would be worth your while. Cant be that much

GO TRUMP!
Re: Help with hog hunting during deer season [Re: Bob Warner] #8452870 11/18/21 11:32 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
10 years ago, legal night hunting might have been uncommon, or certainly less common than today. Now, it is a common thing. NV and thermal are fairly cheap. Even some of the landowners I hunt for have their own thermal gear. Conservatively, on any given night, there are at least 20-100 active hunters in Montague County. I am out 3-4 nights a week and it isn't uncommon for me to see or run into other night hunters. If we were all calling to self report our legal activities, blowing up the GW's phone what good would that really do?

If you want to call somebody, contact the neighbors. They are the ones apt to be reporting you to the game warden. If they don't report you, then he isn't apt to come. If they do report what they think is illegal activity, it is the game warden's obligation to come determine if it is illegal or not. He won't know it is YOU until he speaks with you, right? So, either way, he has come out, whether you told him in advance or not.

Re: Help with hog hunting during deer season [Re: Dave Davidson] #8452910 11/19/21 12:43 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson

There are two Matt's (Matthew) that service that area now. The new one is Matt Childress. Met him Saturday. He was with Matt Waggoner whom I have known for some time. Both are nice guys, but can be all bidness in a hurry.

Re: Help with hog hunting during deer season [Re: Bob Warner] #8453064 11/19/21 03:24 AM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Sounds like Double Naught knows his business around that area, listen to his advise and just be ready for a visit.
If you're just hunting hogs you should be fine.
Make sure he stays on property he has permission to hunt and no license is needed.

Bigfoot no license is needed so why buy one ? The landowner has a problem and he wants to help with it , win- win for both.

Re: Help with hog hunting during deer season [Re: Bob Warner] #8453087 11/19/21 03:45 AM
Roll-Tide Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Is your brother the type who would shoot a deer if he saw a big one??

I have found it easiest to get game warden phone number. I text him something to the effect. “sir, I will be hunting hogs tonight until about ———- , off county road———. If you get any calls, feel free to call, text or stop by”. Name.

Re: Help with hog hunting during deer season [Re: Wytex] #8453099 11/19/21 03:52 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Wytex
Sounds like Double Naught knows his business around that area, listen to his advise and just be ready for a visit.
If you're just hunting hogs you should be fine.
Make sure he stays on property he has permission to hunt and no license is needed.

Bigfoot no license is needed so why buy one ? The landowner has a problem and he wants to help with it , win- win for both.

Based on our experience with out-of-staters, the reason you have them buy a license for their "hog hunts" is that they are likely going to want to shoot any coyotes or bobcats they come across, particularly when the hog hunting is slow. The get bored and/or upset that they traveled all that way and aren't getting to shoot when there are obvious pest opportunities because they don't have a license.

If Bob and his brother shoot a bunch of hogs early on, they are likely going to have plenty of coyotes the following nights. If they just keep to shooting only hogs, then yeah, no license is needed.

Re: Help with hog hunting during deer season [Re: Bob Warner] #8453697 11/19/21 06:53 PM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Not worth the hassle, Have him buy the Special 5-day
Non-resident 5-Day Special Hunting License Non-resident 157 $48

Legal for any period of five consecutive days (valid hunting dates will be printed on the license when issued). Valid to hunt exotic animals, all legal game birds (except turkey), all non-game animals, fur-bearing animals, squirrel, javelina and alligator (not valid for white-tailed or mule deer including MLDP tags, pronghorn or bighorn sheep). Endorsement requirements apply.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Help with hog hunting during deer season [Re: Bob Warner] #8457267 11/23/21 07:39 PM
B
bassfishinglawyer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
if it has a gate, uh... lock the gate???

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide