Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ranger or Golfcart #8450278 11/16/21 03:16 PM
I
ijohnston Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I
I am thinking about selling my 2013 ranger and getting a modified golf cart instead. Is this a bad move? I basically hunt 3 different properties each about 150 acres. I know I would not get the same power out of a golf cart but do I really need it? The only time I ever really need pulling power is when getting big logs out for firewood.

Looking for opinions on this.

Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: ijohnston] #8450356 11/16/21 04:30 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
They ride very rough, and battery maintenance is annoying

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: ijohnston] #8450366 11/16/21 04:48 PM
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
It's really cool what you can drive up on in an electric golf cart. That might be the one and only benefit.

[Linked Image]
Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: Gumbeaux] #8450380 11/16/21 05:01 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
It's really cool what you can drive up on in an electric golf cart. That might be the one and only benefit.

It really is. We have 3 electric golf carts on our lease. It’s 3.5 miles to the back of the ranch and they get there and back no problem. Yes the suspension sucks but it’s worth it to me to get to stands quietly.

Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: ijohnston] #8450428 11/16/21 06:08 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Our terrain is sand minimal hills no rocks.

Golf cart works well for us. They are quiet, but that said on a dead still morning they can be heard from quite a distance.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: ijohnston] #8450437 11/16/21 06:18 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I have a 2013 Ranger and a 48v hunting buggy (upgraded golf cart). They both serve their purpose.

For doing work it's the Ranger. Yes I've also hunted with it plenty, but it's loud. I'll take the electric buggy any day over the Ranger for hunting, yes it's rough riding but it sure is quiet. You can also upgrade the power train on your golf cart if you need more torque for pulling stuff.

Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: ijohnston] #8450440 11/16/21 06:20 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
As long as steep hills and mud aren’t involved it should be fine.

Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: ChrisB] #8450441 11/16/21 06:25 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by ChrisB
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux

It really is. We have 3 electric golf carts on our lease. It’s 3.5 miles to the back of the ranch and they get there and back no problem. Yes the suspension sucks but it’s worth it to me to get to stands quietly.

It is until their there is a short on the post and you have a big boom under your seat, on a 21 degree evening and you are 4 miles back from camp and no cell.

I love fact you can literally drive up on deer, but you need to have appropriate roads for them. This one had an upgraded controller and motor and would easily do 20mph, in fact torque wise, you could almost wheelie it. It just wasnt made for enough roads though. Jaring takes its toll on aluminum welds and battery connections

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: 68rustbucket] #8450449 11/16/21 06:32 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

That's why I bought the torquiest upgrade kit I could find for my electric buggy. Pig hunting at night, that wet black clay would plug up my tires adding weight. The regenerative braking system that comes stock with the cart could not handle the constant creeping and stopping while sneaking up on pigs in the farm country with the extra weight especially. The motor would get hot, overheat, and shut down leaving you sitting out there until it cooled off.....and almost caught on fire one night. eek2 Anyway, upgrading and doing away with the regen motor solves that problem. Way more torque, no more overheating, mud and hills no longer a problem.

Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: 68rustbucket] #8450467 11/16/21 07:04 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

Mine is far from stock but climbs steep hills no problem. I’ve only been stuck in mud once and so did the four wheel drive truck that tried to get to where I was stuck.

Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: ijohnston] #8450496 11/16/21 07:35 PM
F
Fltmedic Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
As everyone has stated they each have their purpose. I hunted with my upgraded Golf cart for several years only started having issues with wiring last year. It was able to get up some hills around Medina, Tx fully loaded with corn no issues. Hardest thing is keeping batteries charged if there’s no electricity on site. Purchased a ranger this summer haven’t hunted out of it but I enjoy the suspension compared to the golf cart just cruising around the ranch as well as additional seating.

Don't take life so seriously, you'll never make it out alive!
Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: Fltmedic] #8450503 11/16/21 07:44 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Fltmedic
As everyone has stated they each have their purpose. I hunted with my upgraded Golf cart for several years only started having issues with wiring last year. It was able to get up some hills around Medina, Tx fully loaded with corn no issues. Hardest thing is keeping batteries charged if there’s no electricity on site. Purchased a ranger this summer haven’t hunted out of it but I enjoy the suspension compared to the golf cart just cruising around the ranch as well as additional seating.

My electric buggy is down right now, batteries died. I want to put lithium batteries in it, but good Lord they are expensive (looking at $5-6k for the ones that I want). Probably not going to go that route. Buggy will also be around 300lbs lighter with the lithium's, which may be a bad idea because you can pop wheelies with this power train upgrade with the heavy lead acid batteries in it. It may be pretty dangerous 300lbs lighter with my kids driving the buggy. Hit the accelerator too hard one time, and it may flip over backwards.

Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: ijohnston] #8450611 11/16/21 10:01 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I will stay with the UTV.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8451054 11/17/21 05:44 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

This is the truth. I have three...Bad Boy Buggy, Pioneer, and Ranger. The gas buggies get all the work, and the suspension on the Bad Boy is rough. I'm also on my 3rd set of batteries in 5 years. If you don't have it plugged in all the time or can charge it consistently the batteries will only last about 2-3 years, at least for me. I typically leave mine at my property year-round in a container and the heat and cold kills the batteries. From now on I'm gonna keep it at home except November and December because I'm tired of spending $1600-$2k on it every 2-3 years.

That being said, it is awesome to sneak up on animals at night or during the day, and it is what I use to drive to and from the stand or hunting with thermal.

Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: skinnerback] #8451128 11/17/21 12:27 PM
F
Fltmedic Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Originally Posted by skinnerback

My electric buggy is down right now, batteries died. I want to put lithium batteries in it, but good Lord they are expensive (looking at $5-6k for the ones that I want). Probably not going to go that route. Buggy will also be around 300lbs lighter with the lithium's, which may be a bad idea because you can pop wheelies with this power train upgrade with the heavy lead acid batteries in it. It may be pretty dangerous 300lbs lighter with my kids driving the buggy. Hit the accelerator too hard one time, and it may flip over backwards.

It’s got enough torque to pop the front tires up off the ground. Gets a little scary when you’re climbing uphill with the back seat dropped and loaded. Love the golf cart though. Considered getting rid of it but I enjoy it for checking things out when I’m not in a rush. Been fortunate with batteries only on my second set first set lasted 5 yrs could’ve prob kept them I thought they were going out, turned out to be a bad connection on the controller.

Don't take life so seriously, you'll never make it out alive!
Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: Fltmedic] #8451371 11/17/21 04:18 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by skinnerback

It’s got enough torque to pop the front tires up off the ground. Gets a little scary when you’re climbing uphill with the back seat dropped and loaded. Love the golf cart though. Considered getting rid of it but I enjoy it for checking things out when I’m not in a rush. Been fortunate with batteries only on my second set first set lasted 5 yrs could’ve prob kept them I thought they were going out, turned out to be a bad connection on the controller.

Yelp, torque makes even the HD 10 and Polaris 1000xp’s look weak.

Just wish they had a real suspension

Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: ijohnston] #8452671 11/18/21 07:56 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I wouldn't do a Golf cart for the reasons Doc laid out as it pertains to batteries. If my Pioneer has sat for a few months and it has gas, it's good to go as far as the gas will carry it.

I do think the whole discussion around sound disturbing hunts is interesting, I personally think we make too much of it. We shoot hogs with deer standing next to them and most don't care about the gunshot. Guys drive to their blinds with road feeders and attract deer (yes there's corn, but it was noisy and had a vehicle involved when dropped). I've idled up to within 30-40 yards of many hogs in my Pioneer and shot them without ever getting out. Moon and wind have mattered alot more than vehicle noise. I just don't think the slight advantage silence has in cart outweighs the battery hassle.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: ijohnston] #8452694 11/18/21 08:32 PM
C
Chaseh Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I'm a golfer, and I have had the electric and gas powered carts that I tried to dual purpose. I know own a 900 ranger crew. Golf carts are a terrible idea, as the ranger is 10x the machine unless you only drive on asphalt roads. Ranger has power when you need it, towing ability when you need it, reliability, much comfier ride, and are surprisingly quiet if you keep your foot out of the throttle.

Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: ijohnston] #8452695 11/18/21 08:33 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I have a golf cart I had fixed up for hunting and I think I used it 3 times and I got stuck on the last trip and that was all I wanted of it. It rides like a brick, always concerned if the battery will get you back home and they will get stuck in a wet paper sack. Give me a Ranger all day every day.

Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: ijohnston] #8452749 11/18/21 09:55 PM
V
Vern1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
The only advantage an electric golf cart has is quiet.
They ride smooth on golf courses.
If you must use one, get some good knobbies on back and it will go lotsa places it wasn't designed to go.
If you run it down and charge it every day, the batteries go south quickly even with good maintenance.

Flip side: Gas ain't getting any cheaper and California has outlawed small gasoline engines starting in 2024.
With that being said, California is a sewer and filling up fast but the feds are trying to outlaw vehicle maintenance/modifications and any recreational use of and/or racing of all types of internal combustion engines.
It's probably gonna suck.

Last edited by Vern1; 11/18/21 09:58 PM.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: Vern1] #8453824 11/19/21 09:07 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Yep, put a lift and knobby tires on that cart and it's hard to get it stuck. Mine has only been stuck once after finding a sink hole, but popped it right out.

Standard lead acid batteries are a pain to maintain. AGM or lithium batteries are maintenance free and last longer. A battery indicator meter is easy to install so you can keep an eye on your available power.

Place I was on a few years ago, the deer were very skittish even with the normal use of a tail gate feeder. No one ever saw deer driving a truck, ATV, or UTV. Take my electric buggy out and you would see deer. It was super quiet on those sandy roads, and not ruff riding at all. I wouldn't use one in rocky country though, would beat you to death.

Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: Chaseh] #8453863 11/19/21 09:57 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Chaseh
Golf carts are a terrible idea

LOL, maybe for your purposes but certainly not everyone's. Mine works great for what I bought & fixed it up for. Depends on where you're at and what you're doing with it. Just another tool in the box. I've got a Ranger, a 4 wheeler, and an electric buggy. They all serve their purpose for me. up

Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: ijohnston] #8454393 11/20/21 01:06 PM
T
therock Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I have used an ez go trail hog since 2009 and have worked the heck out of it. Very little trouble with it besides regular battery maintenance. As said by many on here, it sure isn’t a smooth ride. It is broke down right now though. The left side leaf spring broke and I’m having a hard time finding one. If anyone has a 4 leaf spring on an old retired rig, give me a holler.

Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: ijohnston] #8454452 11/20/21 02:14 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Different strokes for different folks.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Ranger or Golfcart [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8454460 11/20/21 02:17 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

and expensive when you replace them.....

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide