Print Thread
Winchester Model 70 Super Grade #8447326 11/13/21 02:56 PM
T
TxImpalaClone Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Has anyone had any issues with the stock cracking on the model 70 super grade specifically the maple stock? My wife purchased one in 300 Win mag. Put 3 rounds through it and the stock had a small crack in it near the receiver. She contacted Winchester and sent it back to them. They kept the rifle for 5 months then sent her a completely different rifle that had some other stock issues. So we sent that one back. Then 3 months later they sent another rifle which appears to be someone's rifle that was sent in to be repaired because it has a crack in the stock on the end cap. So I am starting to wonder is this an issue with these stocks, or perhaps maybe the caliber is too powerful for the stock not sure. Just curious if anyone else has had or heard of this being an issue with the Supergrade Maple stocks? Thanks

Re: Winchester Model 70 Super Grade [Re: TxImpalaClone] #8447371 11/13/21 03:31 PM
J
jhenderson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Goggle it. I think I’ve read some issues about cracking in that same area. Of course customer service is not what it was and getting a fix may never happen.

Re: Winchester Model 70 Super Grade [Re: jhenderson] #8447381 11/13/21 03:42 PM
T
TxImpalaClone Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Yes I must say, we are very disappointed in the service and response that we have received.

Re: Winchester Model 70 Super Grade [Re: TxImpalaClone] #8447387 11/13/21 03:51 PM
J
jhenderson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Don’t get me wrong I like Winchester overall but I wouldn’t own any of the new stuff.

Re: Winchester Model 70 Super Grade [Re: TxImpalaClone] #8447733 11/14/21 12:54 AM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Did you buy it new or how old is it?

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Winchester Model 70 Super Grade [Re: freerange] #8458831 11/25/21 02:54 PM
T
TxImpalaClone Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
It was brand new

Re: Winchester Model 70 Super Grade [Re: TxImpalaClone] #8458948 11/25/21 04:49 PM
T
TAB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I’ve seen several posts about the maple stocks especially cracking on other forums.

I think they are beautiful to look at, if I was hunting with it I’d put it in a hs stock and save the maple for something later.. idk.. seems like people are building pretty instead of functional these days not much in between..

Re: Winchester Model 70 Super Grade [Re: TAB] #8458966 11/25/21 05:08 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TAB
I’ve seen several posts about the maple stocks especially cracking on other forums.

I think they are beautiful to look at, if I was hunting with it I’d put it in a hs stock and save the maple for something later.. idk.. seems like people are building pretty instead of functional these days not much in between..

Then there's hard nosed functional. Stainless and cerakoted barrels, composite stocks pillared and bedded, action screws torqued to 65 in/lbs. Many say they are not "pretty". Then there's the camp of appreciating the functionality and reliability.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Winchester Model 70 Super Grade [Re: J.G.] #8458980 11/25/21 05:20 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Originally Posted by TAB

Then there's hard nosed functional. Stainless and cerakoted barrels, composite stocks pillared and bedded, action screws torqued to 65 in/lbs. Many say they are not "pretty". Then there's the camp of appreciating the functionality and reliability.

I don’t understand the specifics of what makes em “functional and reliable” but that’s what I value.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Winchester Model 70 Super Grade [Re: J.G.] #8459040 11/25/21 06:13 PM
T
TAB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TAB

Hard nosed functional gets heavy!

Re: Winchester Model 70 Super Grade [Re: TxImpalaClone] #8459317 11/26/21 01:45 AM
B
billymagg Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by TxImpalaClone
Has anyone had any issues with the stock cracking on the model 70 super grade specifically the maple stock? My wife purchased one in 300 Win mag. Put 3 rounds through it and the stock had a small crack in it near the receiver. She contacted Winchester and sent it back to them. They kept the rifle for 5 months then sent her a completely different rifle that had some other stock issues. So we sent that one back. Then 3 months later they sent another rifle which appears to be someone's rifle that was sent in to be repaired because it has a crack in the stock on the end cap. So I am starting to wonder is this an issue with these stocks, or perhaps maybe the caliber is too powerful for the stock not sure. Just curious if anyone else has had or heard of this being an issue with the Supergrade Maple stocks? Thanks

Sorry to hear this, I had a nice Winchester Super Grade from New Haven, I traded it for a pre 27 with a gold box and never looked back... I have an early FN 270 and a Husky 30-06, as they say, they don't make em like they used to...

Re: Winchester Model 70 Super Grade [Re: TxImpalaClone] #8459318 11/26/21 01:46 AM
B
billymagg Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by TxImpalaClone

Sorry to hear this, I had a nice Winchester Super Grade from New Haven, I traded it for a pre 27 with a gold box and never looked back... I have an early FN 270 and a Husky 30-06, as they say, they don't make em like they used to...

Smith and Wesson, sorry

Re: Winchester Model 70 Super Grade [Re: TAB] #8459324 11/26/21 01:51 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TAB
Originally Posted by TAB

Hard nosed functional gets heavy!

Not true at all.

There are tons of them out there that weigh far less than wood stocked rifles. Carbon fiber stocks, carbon fiber wrapped barrels, thin steel barrels with flutes. All cut ounces, that add up to pounds. There are plenty of rifles, with wood stocks, built in the last 100 years that weigh much more.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Winchester Model 70 Super Grade [Re: TxImpalaClone] #8459838 11/26/21 10:46 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I love wood stocks. Walnut is what I like. Glass in some pillars then hog out the inletting and glass bed the action from the recoil lug back. Float the barrel. What you have then will be stable and should not crack. Comparatively speaking, maple is more brittle than walnut.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Winchester Model 70 Super Grade [Re: TxImpalaClone] #8460017 11/27/21 05:42 AM
T
TxImpalaClone Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
We are replacing it with a Walnut Rifle. That Maple is beautiful, but so is the Walnut.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide