Print Thread
Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's #8446833 11/12/21 10:22 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Well I guess lightning can strike if you are patient enough. After 21 LP's of time I just got drawn at South Llano River SP for Exotics with hunt dates of 1/31 thru 2/03.

The other 2 Final Pending 2nd Draw's that were Not Selected were a Hog Hunt at Keechi Creek & Mason Mountain's Oryx Hunt. Gotta try again next year on the whole batch of 2nd Drawing Pendings.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's [Re: WileyCoyote] #8446850 11/12/21 10:42 PM
W
wtjim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Take a lot of coolers, we filled 6 150 quart coolers. Buddy and I killed 8 axis and 6 whitetails on a management hunt there...

Re: Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's [Re: WileyCoyote] #8446858 11/12/21 10:54 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Wow...Double wow ...I've 3 refrigerators out in the storage area.. but it sounds like I need to swap those in on 3 deep freeze's! Axis or Sika are the primary target

Any info on economy motels would be appreciated.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's [Re: WileyCoyote] #8447028 11/13/21 02:05 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Good luck brother and post some pictures!!!!

Re: Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's [Re: WileyCoyote] #8447495 11/13/21 07:11 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Congratulations Ron. I have put in for that hunt many times, but never drawn it. It should be a good one.

Re: Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's [Re: WileyCoyote] #8447566 11/13/21 09:21 PM
F
Fltmedic Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Congrats should be a fun hunt for sure.

Don't take life so seriously, you'll never make it out alive!
Re: Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's [Re: wtjim] #8449633 11/15/21 10:38 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Took a look at SLRP's info page...and Oh My Goodness ....Axis & Hog's have no limit...Now I understand how you could fill up a big bunch of 150 QT coolers. Brings back memories of my Hunt there some 25 years ago and the horde of critters running down the river in front of me, waiting at the Low Water crossing. What's funny about that lone Axis I brought in was just that. My Axis kill was the only one taken during that Hunt. Need to start now getting things put together to take full advantage of this gift of an opportunity. 1st thing is to start buying big coolers at all the Estate Sales we were gonna attend anyway. I've got 3 big cooler's but they are all crammed with fishing tackle, leftover from when I sold the 22' Bay Boat after the move down here in '16. This reminds me of Lake Texoma back before a White Bass daily limit was enacted ....and I'd much prefer eating Axis than Sand Bass bigtime.
Ron

Re: Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's [Re: WileyCoyote] #8452756 11/18/21 09:58 PM
G
gettinbirdie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Congrats Wily!! My brother and I drew the same dates-looking forward to meeting you at orientation

Re: Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's [Re: WileyCoyote] #8452905 11/19/21 12:29 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Super! look for a always slightly dingy deep burgundy 2010 F150 Super Crew. Used to be a good sit down restaurant in town, hope it's still there. Are ya'll camping on property or staying in town? I'm about to find a inexpensive decent motel, like I had years ago.
Ron

Re: Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's [Re: WileyCoyote] #8456571 11/22/21 11:49 PM
G
gettinbirdie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I’m going to camp on site most likely. I got to call down there- see if a campfire is allowed, amongst other details.
How far is town?

Re: Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's [Re: WileyCoyote] #8457193 11/23/21 06:06 PM
F
Fishstory Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
F
Town is only like 5 minutes from the park. We stayed in a VRBO style cabin that was pretty nice. We killed 10 axis between three of us and didnt even bother hunting Sunday because we ran out of cooler space. Several hunters didn't kill anything though so it isnt a guarantee. Best advice I could give is to be ready at all times. I bet I saw 100 white tails a day, and only 5 axis all weekend. The whitetails just stood around and ate corn all day long, but the axis were extremely wary and if you saw one it was probably running.

Re: Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's [Re: WileyCoyote] #8458018 11/24/21 04:18 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Fish...where were the blinds ya'll were assigned, up the big hill on the "jeep trail" to the left ? or down the narrow road to the right? There were some good ground blinds back then facing west x north west towards the river and some I was told later were north and not far south of the campground, I was told these were mostly used for Turkey hunting and shotgun only. as I recall.

The mature axis doe I shot came from up on the hill, over looking the Historic Ranch House, right at dark in a sizable mixed herd of Wt's & Axis. Super scary stuff driving a 2 wheel drive Suburban down that steep jeep trail in the dark. Next day my blind was changed and I went to the road to the right pretty far back and then hiked couple hundred yards in to a newish wooden ground blind at the end of the 2 wheel track where it went UPHILL. Watched a nice 6pt WT for about 45 minutes who came down the fence line from behind me, took lots of pic's out of boredom, but he was off limits to me. Last day I changed blinds again and saw where a WT buck had beat up a barely green leafed Mesquite tree on a fence row as they looked like the WT's were starting to get ready for the Rut. Moved again the last day and was facing east when I took a shot at a yearling WT doe that was playing hide and seek with me from behind some dirt washout ridges...but that was all the critters I saw over my 3 days on Property. The herd up on top was mixed and had about 2+ dozen critters in it.

From out of the rusty arsed 1/2broke down tripod on top of the steep hill I could see 18 wheelers on I-10 to the north, and never saw anything out of the nice well built ground box blind besides the old tripod that was facing south. The ?road aka 2 wheel 4x4 ruts up there was dead ended into a rocky outcropping the old 2x4 'Chevy Suburban just could not climb over, about 200 yards west of the box blind/tripod area....and was where I field dressed my big Axis doe hanging off a big oak? tree overhanging the trail in the headlights of the truck.
Ron

Re: Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's [Re: WileyCoyote] #8462527 11/30/21 07:19 AM
B
Bownhead Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I won this hunt last year and camped in the park . Its my favorite park in the state and have camped here many times. Used to always go on standby archery hunts at Walter buck WMA years ago and always had a great time. Anyway to last years hunt, I was only one to harvest more than one axis, and I got two does. Could have had several more, but didn't have freezer space for them. I chose blind #7 which is just east of the campgrounds about 1/4 mile. I actually walked to my blind every day. saw lots of does, but no bucks. I hunted all day the second day and actually shot one of the does in the middle of the afternoon . . Good luck on your hunt, and don't waste time staying in town, enjoy the campsite.

Re: Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's [Re: WileyCoyote] #8463278 12/01/21 02:23 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I'm sure the Park has changed Big Time since I last was there 25 years ago...I scored an Axis doe late one afternoon up on top, that was the only Axis taken on that hunt. I took the BH thru the low water crossing & camping area couple years later as we headed back to Dallas from my BinL's lease that year from east of the Blue Hole just south of Telephone...and had accrued 21 LP's since then until scoring a Permit for this upcoming hunt. I just hope it does not take another 21 years to get back on the Park again to hunt....since I'm only 77 years old nowdays.
Ron

Re: Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's [Re: WileyCoyote] #8463538 12/01/21 02:47 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Good luck sir

Re: Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's [Re: WileyCoyote] #8463854 12/01/21 09:04 PM
F
Fishstory Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
F
When I was there I believe everyone hunted in the river bottom area. My blind was in the turkey roost area and I had a buddy actually sitting in a box blind in one of the camp sites who shot several axis.

Re: Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's [Re: WileyCoyote] #8463912 12/01/21 10:31 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
If I were to get a blind in the camp site area I'd have to start a BBQ pit and serve lunch, beats what I usually take.... a dozen Granola bars to sit on a all day blind with. Both of you guys who just responded have given me hope that I don't have to drive up AND back down that steep jeep trail in a full size 2x4 SuperCrew Ford Pickup. Last time was scary stuff coming down the hill in the dark in that old Suburban with street tires on it.
Ron

Re: Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's [Re: WileyCoyote] #8463918 12/01/21 10:35 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
If I were to get a blind in the camp site area I'd have to start a BBQ pit and serve lunch, beats what I usually take.... a dozen Granola bars to sit on a all day blind with. Both of you guys who just responded have given me hope that I don't have to drive up AND back down that steep jeep trail in a full size 2x4 SuperCrew Ford Pickup. Last time was some SUPER scary stuff coming down the hill in the dark in that old 4x2 Suburban with street tires on it.

The goal however is to SCORE some eatable Axis critters in my freezer at home ....and I can handle a little discomfort to reach THAT GOAL.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 12/01/21 10:37 PM. Reason: clarity

Re: Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's [Re: WileyCoyote] #8463933 12/01/21 10:52 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Got a ?? On ya'lls Hunt were Whitetails Off Limits? I spent all of my 2nd day back then watching and photographing a really nice young 6 pt WT buck ...who got bored and left after he'd cleaned up the corn I'd spread down the south fence line. Got more boring that last day, I had to take a different blind further back on the lower ground, almost behind the big hill and took a shot at a young doe WT who was playing peakaboo with me...cause someone else had taken that good blind on the south fence, and parked in my spot, so I cut the hunt short by a couple hours and checked out for the long drive back to Dallas.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 12/01/21 10:57 PM. Reason: clarity

Re: Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's [Re: WileyCoyote] #8464563 12/02/21 04:16 PM
F
Fishstory Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
F
Yea, on the exotic hunt WT's were off limits. One guy shot a pig, and we were told the chances of seeing an exotic other than the axis were almost nonexistent.

Re: Drawn after all these years @ SLRSP - EXO's [Re: WileyCoyote] #8464611 12/02/21 05:20 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I'm not surprised...the write up in the Hunt description that the purpose of the Hunt was to control the Axis #'s as they were eating the WT's out of house & home. Just good to know before somebody got way too excited at seeing a Monster Sized WT.

Couple years ago I hunted Javelina's down 'tween SA & Corpus with a buddy & Crazy Horse and we were warned repeatedly about not shooting any of the WT's ...PTL I listened good 'cause I saw a Monster I otherwise would have just "assumed" was legal...and we all know how to spell THAT word 'cause the heads up also mentioned the consequences.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 12/02/21 05:21 PM. Reason: clarity

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide