Forums46
Topics537,992
Posts9,731,458
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: ATX_Firearms] #8444681 11/10/21 07:27 PM
Streater Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Basically, you give up your 4th amendment right when you get a LTC. When a police officer knows you have a firearm, or thinks you do, they have to secure the weapon, which is probable cause to search. Even if you give them your sidearm, they can search the vehicle with probable cause. "I thought he had another firearm in the vehicle and i was trying to secure it for the safety of the defendant and the public" is all a judge needs to hear.

Last edited by Streater; 11/10/21 07:27 PM.
Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: ATX_Firearms] #8444704 11/10/21 07:42 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
They don’t have to secure the weapon (their call). I have never been asked to hand over any weapons, and I’ve never had my vehicle searched. I have only been told to keep my weapon where it is and keep my hands where he can see them.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: skinnerback] #8444715 11/10/21 08:01 PM
Streater Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by skinnerback
They don’t have to secure the weapon (their call). I have never been asked to hand over any weapons, and I’ve never had my vehicle searched. I have only been told to keep my weapon where it is and keep my hands where he can see them.

Me neither. 99% of police officers are top notch. I have nothing to hide, anyway. I'm just worried about if/when they outlaw certain rifles and handguns, that it will apply. Call me paranoid, but this group we have in office now scares the hell out of me.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: Streater] #8444800 11/10/21 09:48 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Streater
Basically, you give up your 4th amendment right when you get a LTC. When a police officer knows you have a firearm, or thinks you do, they have to secure the weapon, which is probable cause to search. Even if you give them your sidearm, they can search the vehicle with probable cause. "I thought he had another firearm in the vehicle and i was trying to secure it for the safety of the defendant and the public" is all a judge needs to hear.

Bull chit!

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: Streater] #8444966 11/11/21 01:05 AM
L
luv2brode Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L

Don’t know ya but wouldn’t want to be ya. That is an idiotic comment.

i am cancelling my subscription, i am tired of your issues!
Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: Streater] #8444980 11/11/21 01:28 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

None of this is correct.

You do not give up any part of your 4th Amendment rights with an LTC.
We do not have to secure the weapon and most that I know of do not in a traffic stop scenario.
Legally carrying a firearm does not even come close to probable cause to search a vehicle.
If an officer made that statement to a magistrate to justify a search, that officer should probably find another line of work.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: Grizz] #8445117 11/11/21 03:28 AM
duckhunter175 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Grizz

None of this is correct.

We do not have to secure the weapon and most that I know of do not in a traffic stop scenario.
Legally carrying a firearm does not even come close to probable cause to search a vehicle.
If an officer made that statement to a magistrate to justify a search, that officer should probably find another line of work.

x2 on what Grizz said...

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: duckhunter175] #8445134 11/11/21 03:52 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by duckhunter175

None of this is correct.

x2 on what Grizz said...

Wow… this is why you don’t ask for legal information on a forum. Streater you really have no idea wtf you’re talking about.

[Linked Image]

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: Streater] #8445373 11/11/21 02:24 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Do us a favor, don't ever post on this forum again. You're absolutely clueless.

I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: Grizz] #8445433 11/11/21 03:06 PM
Streater Offline
Tracker
Tracker

None of this is correct.

Thank you for the clarification. The info I got was from the guy at the Plano Gun Club when I took my LTC class. I appreciate the correction. Thank you Sir!

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: The Dude Abides] #8445444 11/11/21 03:13 PM
Streater Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308

That ain't going to happen, Peckerwood.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: KRoyal] #8445473 11/11/21 03:32 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by KRoyal
Originally Posted by duckhunter175

None of this is correct.

x2 on what Grizz said...

Wow… this is why you don’t ask for legal information on a forum. Streater you really have no idea wtf you’re talking about.

Or medical advice either for that matter. This is one of the worse cases I have ever seen of misinformation on this forum, and that's saying a lot.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: ATX_Firearms] #8445499 11/11/21 03:46 PM
Streater Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Here's an interesting article about Texas Government Code 411.207, which states that the officer can secure your firearm, and that they can legally go through your vehicle to do so. Not trying to stir up a hornets nest. Just trying to learn so I avoid making anymore jack-arse statements in the future about this. https://www.walkertaylorlaw.com/post/can-an-officer-disarm-me

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: Streater] #8445548 11/11/21 04:29 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Here's an interesting article about Texas Government Code 411.207, which states that the officer can secure your firearm, and that they can legally go through your vehicle to do so. Not trying to stir up a hornets nest. Just trying to learn so I avoid making anymore jack-arse statements in the future about this. https://www.walkertaylorlaw.com/post/can-an-officer-disarm-me

No one cares, N-SACK, JACK-WAGON, your credibility is eFF'n shot!!!

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: The Dude Abides] #8445561 11/11/21 04:40 PM
Streater Offline
Tracker
Tracker

No one cares, N-SACK, JACK-WAGON, your credibility is eFF'n shot!!!

Texas Government Code 411.207 clearly states what I said was factual. When you're done virtue-signaling, I'd suggest you read it.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: Streater] #8445848 11/11/21 10:59 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

None of this is correct.

Thank you for the clarification. The info I got was from the guy at the Plano Gun Club when I took my LTC class. I appreciate the correction. Thank you Sir!

You're welcome. There are a lot of misinterpretations of the law out there.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: Streater] #8445854 11/11/21 11:05 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

The article linked is just the interpretation of a law firm and part of it is 100% incorrect. Officers can disarm a person during the contact if they choose, but this part is way off:
"During a traffic stop, if an officer is told there is a gun in the vehicle, even if no crime is suspected, under the pretext of officer safety, the officer could search an entire vehicle."
In order to search a vehicle without a warrant or consent, the officer must have probable cause. By definition, probable cause to search means the officer has probable cause to believe there is contraband (something illegal to possess under those circumstances) or evidence of a crime in the vehicle. Consequently, their assertion that an officer can search the whole car even if no crime is suspected is completely false. Believe it or not, some of the worst legal interpretations I've ever heard came from lawyers, particularly criminal defense lawyers.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: ATX_Firearms] #8446091 11/12/21 05:12 AM
P
PappawRock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I got pulled over in Plano for a dim bulb on my license plate and I told the gent I was carrying, at which time he said that was good to hear and that if I wouldn't shoot him he wouldn't shoot me back...

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: PappawRock] #8446126 11/12/21 11:07 AM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by PappawRock
I got pulled over in Plano for a dim bulb on my license plate and I told the gent I was carrying, at which time he said that was good to hear and that if I wouldn't shoot him he wouldn't shoot me back...

The Police In Plano are told not to even ask for a Driver Licenses if the person is hispanic, they have their hands tied by the city council. Now they are not allowed to get the beggar off the street near the DART Line where it ends in Plano. They bring alot of homeless up from South Dallas and from the halfway house in the area and they come up to Plano around Parker/Ave K and basically live .

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: Grizz] #8446266 11/12/21 02:03 PM
Streater Offline
Tracker
Tracker

The article linked is just the interpretation of a law firm and part of it is 100% incorrect. Officers can disarm a person during the contact if they choose, but this part is way off:
"During a traffic stop, if an officer is told there is a gun in the vehicle, even if no crime is suspected, under the pretext of officer safety, the officer could search an entire vehicle."
In order to search a vehicle without a warrant or consent, the officer must have probable cause. By definition, probable cause to search means the officer has probable cause to believe there is contraband (something illegal to possess under those circumstances) or evidence of a crime in the vehicle. Consequently, their assertion that an officer can search the whole car even if no crime is suspected is completely false. Believe it or not, some of the worst legal interpretations I've ever heard came from lawyers, particularly criminal defense lawyers.

Thanks, again for the correction and explanation. I really appreciate it, Sir!

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: Streater] #8446531 11/12/21 06:00 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O

Please change your name to CRAWFISH, as you went back and edited your text from "they have to secure the weapon" to "the officer can secure your firearm". Your original statement was 100% wrong.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: Old Rabbit] #8472075 12/11/21 12:04 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Old Rabbit

Please change your name to CRAWFISH, as you went back and edited your text from "they have to secure the weapon" to "the officer can secure your firearm". Your original statement was 100% wrong.

The responsible thing to do (when learning of a mistake) is to make a correction/edit if possible. It is well to preface the correction with "EDIT" so that others know the post has been changed. But nothing wrong with that....if done with the intent (and for sake of) of accuracy.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: ATX_Firearms] #8472224 12/11/21 03:50 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
O hell no, You say peckerwood and the gloves come off and you are gonna get [censored] up.

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide