Forums46
Topics614,263
Posts11,482,416
Members84,148
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting #8442122 11/08/21 03:42 AM
R
Ringtail Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
R
Saturday, opening morning, I had just pulled in front of my shop which is right along the county road in Houston County surrounded by the National Forest and decided to walk across the road to give my neighbor's horse some sweet feed by hand. The fence is like four feet from the road and just as I give the horse a handful, up the lane comes an obvious game warden's truck with two warden's in it.
I was in camo with my .45 on my hip and obviously just in from hunting so I didn't know what to expect as they stopped right next to me. Well it turned out, they were the nicest two guys! After asking me if I had any luck that morning and me replying that no I hadn't seen anything but a small buck, the one driving told me just to hang in there, the hunting would get better. They introduced themselves and shook hands.
They knew about the place I bought about 3 years ago, how big and that I had apparently fixed the place up some. One even told me where he lived down another county road on the way to my place. I explained that I bought the place as a weekend retreat and hunting place and they asked where I was from. Just regular chatting. I kept thinking they would ask to see my license but they never did. He even kidded me about feeding that guy's horse because the guy has a bad rep in that regard.
I've read the threads on here about various encounters with the wardens and these two seemed to certainly fit in with opinions that most of them are good guys doing their job. That neighbor may not have the same opinion as they pulled into his drive and had a long emphatic conversation with him and there was some filling out of papers. My son was just getting down from his tripod in the front area of the property and he saw me talking to them and decided even though he knew I hadn't done anything illegal, he would go the back way to the house and not come meet them. Imagine that!

Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: Ringtail] #8442125 11/08/21 03:48 AM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Sounds like most game warden encounters I’ve had. If you aren’t breaking the law no reason to fret.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: Ringtail] #8442232 11/08/21 12:03 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
There are some mighty good deer out your way, just stay at it.

In my 35 years in East Texas (Moved here from Central Texas)....I've never had an encounter with a Game Warden. Rarely even see a truck patrolling.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: Ringtail] #8442252 11/08/21 12:30 PM
D
Dodge_Rock Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I've met several game wardens out in the field & all have been good guys. One even helped me track down & carry back an animal to the truck. He was an exceptionally great guy. All have been respectful, and have a difficult, sometimes dangerous job. The last warden I met was out on a call from neighbors that had seen an unknown truck parked by a locked gate. Turns out the person had permission to enter, but these guys have to walk into unknown situations daily.
My hats off to them.

Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: Ringtail] #8442377 11/08/21 02:26 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
One even helped me track down & carry back an animal to the truck.

LOL, you know he was assessing the legality of your kill when he helped you track it down, right? You may have benefited by finding the deer a little faster, but that wasn't done out of being nice, but out of doing his/her job.

Helping you get it back was nice.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: Ringtail] #8442409 11/08/21 02:41 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Nice

Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: Ringtail] #8442544 11/08/21 04:15 PM
65x55 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
The only time I've ever encountered them is at county fairs when they have some baby alligators for people to pet and whatnot.

Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: Ringtail] #8442546 11/08/21 04:17 PM
T
TPACK Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I had the same encounter last year @ out lease gate after dark. That`s the way it should be.

Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: Ringtail] #8442549 11/08/21 04:22 PM
Adchunts Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
I’ve had numerous interactions with wardens over the years. Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming. All but a couple were very pleasant. The unpleasant ones were with wardens that had a reputation of being a jerk. Never issued a ticket, as I always had my stuff in order. For the most part, wardens are just regular folks doing a difficult job.

Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: Ringtail] #8442573 11/08/21 04:46 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I will echo the OP's experience, but with another dynamic duo.

I met the Runnels and Coleman Co GWs on our place on Saturday AM. It threw me for a bit as I didn't recognize the truck coming towards me, then the light bar and decals made it clear who was paying us a visit. They had already made it through camp to check the rest of our guys (who got blanked) and were headed out our gate.

Absolute gentlemen, professionals, and seemed like a couple of guys I would probably just enjoy hanging out with. I had my 9 year old with me and a cull buck in the bed of the truck and we were perfectly legal, so no violations here. They gave my son some game warden SWAG and I asked them to please 'dummy lock' our gate on their way out with an invitation to stop by any time.

Great guys, great interaction, and happy to know they are helping protect the resource we love to pursue. That interaction was like most every other interaction I have had with the TPWD Squirrel Sheriffs (said with the utmost respect) I sure do NOT mind my paying my license fees or even begrudge if they go up a couple of dollars every year to keep up with inflation when I know there are folks of this caliber out there in the field. The vast majority of the men and women doing this job are great folks who just want good stewardship of the wildlife that call Texas home.

Last edited by HuntnFly67; 11/08/21 04:48 PM.
Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: Ringtail] #8442600 11/08/21 05:06 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Very few times have I been checked while hunting. Only thing that upset me about it was them having a key to the local power company lock, they accessed our property via the electric company easement and drove in like they owned the place.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: Ringtail] #8442658 11/08/21 06:10 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I've always found Zack and Eddie to be very professional.

After seeing him on Lone Star Law a couple of times, I kidded Zack by asking him if people now ask for his autograph? He quickly replied back, "No, I ask people for their autograph."

On the flip side, I never had a positive experience with a MDWFP game warden during my younger days when hunting in Mississippi. I'll never forget one such instance where I thought the officer had just stepped out of the movie "Deliverance."

Last edited by Texas Dan; 11/08/21 06:13 PM.

Dan

Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: redchevy] #8442690 11/08/21 06:47 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by redchevy
Very few times have I been checked while hunting. Only thing that upset me about it was them having a key to the local power company lock, they accessed our property via the electric company easement and drove in like they owned the place.

I want them on our place so they have the gate combination and a key to the cabins.

Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: Ringtail] #8442698 11/08/21 06:53 PM
K
Kingsview Safaris Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
K
Let me tell you chaps, from someone living in a place with plenty wild animals and almost zero law enforcement, appreciate the good wardens. I wish we had even the bad ones here. Thanks for sharing a good positive story.

Jono and Justine McHugh
Eastern Cape, South Africa
www.kingsviewsafaris.co.za
Listen to our Podcast: Round The Fire With Kingsview Safaris
Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: Ringtail] #8442702 11/08/21 06:55 PM
S
Setafavn Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
I have never come across the game warden in person, but when I go to the Caddo National Grasslands park to hunt (the Ladonia Unit) I always call the local warden to ask his advice on where I should go and what he has seen lately. Always great people to talk to...

Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: Ringtail] #8442709 11/08/21 06:58 PM
M
My Time to Hunt Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted by Ringtail
Saturday, opening morning, I had just pulled in front of my shop which is right along the county road in Houston County surrounded by the National Forest and decided to walk across the road to give my neighbor's horse some sweet feed by hand. The fence is like four feet from the road and just as I give the horse a handful, up the lane comes an obvious game warden's truck with two warden's in it.
I was in camo with my .45 on my hip and obviously just in from hunting so I didn't know what to expect as they stopped right next to me. Well it turned out, they were the nicest two guys! After asking me if I had any luck that morning and me replying that no I hadn't seen anything but a small buck, the one driving told me just to hang in there, the hunting would get better. They introduced themselves and shook hands.
They knew about the place I bought about 3 years ago, how big and that I had apparently fixed the place up some. One even told me where he lived down another county road on the way to my place. I explained that I bought the place as a weekend retreat and hunting place and they asked where I was from. Just regular chatting. I kept thinking they would ask to see my license but they never did. He even kidded me about feeding that guy's horse because the guy has a bad rep in that regard.
I've read the threads on here about various encounters with the wardens and these two seemed to certainly fit in with opinions that most of them are good guys doing their job. That neighbor may not have the same opinion as they pulled into his drive and had a long emphatic conversation with him and there was some filling out of papers. My son was just getting down from his tripod in the front area of the property and he saw me talking to them and decided even though he knew I hadn't done anything illegal, he would go the back way to the house and not come meet them. Imagine that!

Why would your son not go over there and meet the Wardens?

Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: Choctaw] #8442882 11/08/21 09:29 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Choctaw

I want them on our place so they have the gate combination and a key to the cabins.

Im a law abiding citizen, but I dont want the highway patrol to follow me everywhere I go and I dont want the game warden or anyone else on my private property.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: My Time to Hunt] #8442886 11/08/21 09:33 PM
R
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
R
Originally Posted by My Time to Hunt
Originally Posted by Ringtail

Why would your son not go over there and meet the Wardens?

He wasn't doing anything illegal and knew I was perfectly legal too. He just figured I would find out any info he needed to know.

Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: redchevy] #8442901 11/08/21 09:44 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U

Im a law abiding citizen, but I dont want the highway patrol to follow me everywhere I go and I dont want the game warden or anyone else on my private property.

This^^^ I love police officers. I have many in my family, and revere the job that they do and respect them quite a bit. However, if an officer ever shows up at my front door and wants to take a look around, he won't get invited in. I'll ask him for a warrant.

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
And make Kamila president

She’d just end up blowing it......
Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: redchevy] #8442905 11/08/21 09:47 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Me neither.

Originally Posted By: Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: Ringtail] #8442915 11/08/21 10:05 PM
F
Frio Town Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
F
When you are close to the border, and with all sorts of illegals coming through these days you might have to think twice about having law on your place. I am 75 years old, in good health etc but I do leave the ranch to go to town and run errands. Being miles from the nearest neighbor, I have given the game wardens and sheriffs dept. the gate codes to get whenever they want to. It works to my advantage.

"Let's Go Brandon"
Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: Choctaw] #8442926 11/08/21 10:17 PM
S
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
S

Amen.... they are welcome any time, with or with me. And they know that!!!

Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: Texas Dan] #8442971 11/08/21 11:19 PM
R
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I've always found Zack and Eddie to be very professional.

After seeing him on Lone Star Law a couple of times, I kidded Zack by asking him if people now ask for his autograph? He quickly replied back, "No, I ask people for their autograph."

On the flip side, I never had a positive experience with a MDWFP game warden during my younger days when hunting in Mississippi. I'll never forget one such instance where I thought the officer had just stepped out of the movie "Deliverance."

Yep, those were the two wardens I talked to!

Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: Frio Town] #8443440 11/09/21 02:11 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Frio Town
When you are close to the border, and with all sorts of illegals coming through these days you might have to think twice about having law on your place. I am 75 years old, in good health etc but I do leave the ranch to go to town and run errands. Being miles from the nearest neighbor, I have given the game wardens and sheriffs dept. the gate codes to get whenever they want to. It works to my advantage.

If we had those kind of issues I would likely feel different, but we dont.

Thank the Lord my parents were smarter than this dumb kid and they didnt buy the place that was 3x as big for 1/2 the money on the river.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: First Game Warden encounter in all my years of hunting [Re: Ringtail] #8443675 11/09/21 05:51 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Met the local warden Saturday morning about 10:30 while I was driving back to camp. We chatted a bit but neither one of us even bothered to get out of our vehicle. Nice guy.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2021 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide