Print Thread
You are going to scare the deer away #8439367 11/05/21 12:18 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
People think deer are a lot more timid than they are. I needed to clean up some brush around the feeders. Our season opens Saturday. I fired up the dozer and went and did what needed done.

[Linked Image]

Five hours later the deer are at the feeder like normal.

[Linked Image]

Re: You are going to scare the deer away [Re: Sewer rat] #8439420 11/05/21 12:59 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Good info sewer. However, is there any way to know that ALL the deer came back. Is there any chance that maybe, just maybe, some deer, or one deer, is just a little more "timid" than you think? Personally, I dont hunt "most" deer, or the "average" deer. I hunt a particular deer and until he will talk to me and explain a few things, then I will always assume that all deer are not alike. I do agree, though, that "most" deer are like that.
Good info though and if you have access to that kind of equipment then bring it on over to my place.

Last edited by freerange; 11/05/21 01:01 AM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: You are going to scare the deer away [Re: Sewer rat] #8439428 11/05/21 01:04 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Good point and really no way to know for sure. Honestly I used to be really worried about frightening the deer but I just haven’t seen it, the biggest deer I have ever seen on my property showed up at a feeder about an hour after I was there at the feeder with a skid steer.

The hogs are a different story. If I am not at the ranch the hogs will hit virtually every feeder every single day. If I go make a trip and visit every feeder it will often be 24-48 hours before I see a single hog on the cameras again.

Re: You are going to scare the deer away [Re: Sewer rat] #8439461 11/05/21 01:22 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Sometimes they will run from the vehicle....while other times they run to the vehicle
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: You are going to scare the deer away [Re: Sewer rat] #8439472 11/05/21 01:31 AM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Ive seen similar. Also a few years back we had a new water well drilled opening weekend in the center of our place one mile long by 1/2mile wide and it had a huge effect on deer activity.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: You are going to scare the deer away [Re: Sewer rat] #8439484 11/05/21 01:44 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I have a friend thats a biologist(Masters) that runs a very large and successful Ranch. He told me that they measure protein consumption on a weekly basis and keep close tabs on it. He said that when they have "disturbance" in an area they will definitely notice the consumption go down which he attributes to them leaving the area for awhile. Im pretty sure what he meant by disturbance was probably significant, like a bull dozer running all week or building fence all week. I also assume they came back when the disturbance went away.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: You are going to scare the deer away [Re: stxranchman] #8439490 11/05/21 01:47 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Sometimes they will run from the vehicle....while other times they run to the vehicle
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Couple of years ago I was invited to a big HF ranch near Sonora that my company had just inherited with the purchase of another company. Hunt was for does and any exotics. We all piled up in a Ranger and headed to the blind they were going to put me in on the first hunt. Before dropping me off, we made a pass around the feeder with the tail gate feeder. We were only half way back to the blind to drop me off and the deer came RUNNING in like cattle. Had never seen anything like it. Got to the blind that was 200 yrds away, stepped off of the Ranger and looked with my binos. There were several good does in the group at the feeder. Said "Hold on, don't leave yet I'll be right back." Up the stairs with my 22-250 I went, opened door, opened 1 window, bang flop. Closed window & door, back down I went. Everyone was looking at me like "are you serious". Well yeh, there's no sense in me sitting here all evening when the game is over before it even got started. roflmao We got everyone else dropped off, I cleaned my deer and was there cooking and waiting to help with everyone else's deer as they came in. Which was cool, because most of this group were city boys and pretty new hunters that needed some help.

Re: You are going to scare the deer away [Re: skinnerback] #8439493 11/05/21 01:51 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by stxranchman
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Couple of years ago I was invited to a big HF ranch near Sonora that my company had just inherited with the purchase of another company. Hunt was for does and any exotics. We all piled up in a Ranger and headed to the blind they were going to put me in on the first hunt. Before dropping me off, we made a pass around the feeder with the tail gate feeder. We were only half way back to the blind to drop me off and the deer came RUNNING in like cattle. Had never seen anything like it. Got to the blind that was 200 yrds away, stepped off of the Ranger and looked with my binos. There were several good does in the group at the feeder. Said "Hold on, don't leave yet I'll be right back." Up the stairs with my 22-250 I went, opened door, opened 1 window, bang flop. Closed window & door, back down I went. Everyone was looking at me like "are you serious". Well yeh, there's no sense in me sitting here all evening when the game is over before it even got started. roflmao We got everyone else dropped off, I cleaned my deer and was there cooking and waiting to help with everyone else's deer as they came in. Which was cool, because most of this group were city boys and pretty new hunters that needed some help.

Efficient use of time. Not a thing wrong with that. up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: You are going to scare the deer away [Re: Sewer rat] #8440231 11/05/21 11:41 PM
Adchunts Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Depends on what the deer are used to. Was hunting a buddy’s land a few years ago while he was preparing to build a house on it. Saw deer every time I hunted until they dozed a lane to run electric service. Deer vacated the premises and did not return for weeks.

Re: You are going to scare the deer away [Re: Sewer rat] #8440560 11/06/21 01:09 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Beautiful

Re: You are going to scare the deer away [Re: Sewer rat] #8440628 11/06/21 02:13 PM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y
My redneck neighbors were sighting in several magnum guns yesterday afternoon towards the 10 acre woods were they like to shoot towards with no backstop and houses on the other side. About that time a nice 10 point buck came strolling by my yard at the very same time they were still shooting, so pretty sure he was in those woods 200 yds away. Incoming. rifle

One shot is all it should take.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide