Page 1 of 2 1 2
Beware of this lease #8437136 11/02/21 08:49 PM
S
Sandra W Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Hello, I am sandra. I am new to forums, but I had to put this information out to the hunting public. It is more than a quick sentence but I beg you to read it all if you are looking at Luchenbach ranch for a package hunt.

I have been looking for a small lease in the Texas hill country for just my son and I. They are very few and go quickly! We are new to the hunting and leasing and I knew we were going to need some help. My so wants to learn how to hunt, and I wanted to do that for him. So this season I decided to do a weekend package just so we could get out for the last weekend of dove season and learn a few things. I reached out to a couple place and I only heard back from a place called “Luchenbach ranch extreme hunting” in Menard. This is the first time I have been able to get away from the hospital since Covid started and I wanted to have a good relaxing weekend spending time with my son.

Mr. Brent Crawford told me it is a long held family ranch, that he did guided hunts with trained dogs. That he had dogs for hog hunts and dove hunts. He told me he had deer, axis, hogs, and dove, and he had access to the San saba river on the front of his property. He also claimed he would help dress and quarter anything we were able to get. He also told me he had a 20 ga my son could use if he also wanted to hunt dove. He sent me a menu that included axis and dove stew and blackened catfish poorboys. The over view of him property looked like the river ran just along the top boarder of his property. I agreed to a weekend hunt for dove and hog for my son and I signed all the wavers and pay 500.00 up front. We were supposed to have 2 night hunts and 2 morning hunts.

As you can guess, this is where it all went down hill! We arrive Saturday night after a 4 hour drive. The old family home was a rotting crumbling home. I figure. We are here to hunt so go with it. He had what was supposed to be stew waiting for us in a filthy kitchen. We got settled and we out and sighted our guns. My son was excited, anticipating his first hunt. We started out onto the property in his keep chrokee. I thought we would be going to a blind. NOPE! We spend 3 hours driving around his rocky property. I asked him how we are supposed to shoot a hog from the car and he said, just shoot out the widow. He had no hunting lights, no night vision and held a small infrared spotter out the window. When he did stop, he stuck his cell phone out the window with an app the had fix calls on it. He wanted my son to shoot his coyotes and foxes…no hog. So we drove around till almost midnight with him drinking and smoking. We finally came out the bad side of his property onto hwy 29 to drive back to the house, when he promptly got pulled over for speeding! We got back to the house and I was done, so we just went to sleep hoping the next day would be better.

We woke Sunday morning to a pre made piece of 7 up cake with strawberries and blueberries..that was breakfast. He also had small deer sausage biscuit with a little piece of Monterey Jack made with those instant biscuit from a can. My son and I got ready, anticipating dove hunting. Nope!! Mr. Crawford was already drinking. He also had NO DOGS! He was hoping I was bringing mine. So no dove hunting. He loaded us up in his beat up ranch truck that had benched tied to the back and wreaked of diesel! We again drove around the ranch and walked up a dry creek bed. I noticed he had multiple blinds near feeders, but not 1 feeder was going, no corn in them. He never offered a blind even when asked if we would be using them. He took us up to his “camp site” where there were a couple rvs and a jeep, but we were not offered to use the area. So again we just drove around the property and my son was expected to shoot off the back of his truck.

when we came back around noon, Mr. Crawford continued with his drinking. Instead of going out to shoot targets with my son, he decided to take us over to his drunk cousins house to look at a property she leases on Airbnb. At least it was cleaner than his house, though we were not staying there. By diner time, no more shooting was done and my son was sick from the previous days food. We did go out that night again in his diesel stinking truck with his drinking and smoking. My so. Finally had a chance to shoot a buck, and just as he was shooting, Mr. Crawford moved the truck..no shot! The night was a total disaster!

We decided to just leave the next morning. We were done with the entire horrible experience. We were tired of turning the other check and tired of his drinking and smoking. Tired of trying to make the best of it. As we packed up and said good bye, Mr. Crawford demanded the other 500.00 that he forgot to collect from me when we got there. I paid him. Then he became offended we did not tip him for his guide services. Well if we had been put in a blind, or if he actually had feeder going, with actual dogs to hunt with, I would have. If he actually had dove hunting, I would have tipped. He had no dogs. Mr. Crawford is a con man, nothing he claims is true or even close to accurate. I would have posted a review on his web site, but there is not a place for reviews. The only place you can post a comment is on his Facebook page..which he controls what people see. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE A PACKAGE FROM THIS PERSON!!!

Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Sandra W] #8437168 11/02/21 09:17 PM
P
papa45 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Bad news. Sorry for your terrible experience. I hope your story gets spread far and wide.

Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Sandra W] #8437183 11/02/21 09:28 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Very sorry you and your son had a bad experience. There are lots of great outfitters and there are some really bad ones, too bad you found a bad one. I've had some bad ones in the past myself.

I'm an outfitter and here's some advise, don't tip the owner, he's already getting paid. You tip the help, the paid guides and cooks. If the owner wants a tip he should raise his price.

Better luck next time and don't give up trying to finding a good outfitter, because most of them are good.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Sandra W] #8437191 11/02/21 09:32 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Sorry that you and your son had to endure such bs

There are good outfitters out there and several advertise on this forum.
I would suggest doing your homework bye reading reviews on all interested outfitters in the future.

I wish you and your son the best of luck on your hunting adventure up

And welcome to the forum

[Linked Image]
Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Sandra W] #8437202 11/02/21 09:43 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Sorry to hear this happened Sandra. On the plus side you found this forum, and advice from the folks here can keep you from running into a bad deal in the future. Guides that do a bad job here get ratted out and run off pretty quickly. Any guide that can't provide references should always be avoided.

Don't give up trying to get your son into hunting. Hopefully someone here can step up and assist with an economical hunt that get's your boy started off right. We need more young men taking up the hunting mantel.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Sandra W] #8437222 11/02/21 10:02 PM
L
Longhorn74 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
L
Sorry Sandra for your terrible experience! I know a deal like that can really turn you off from hunting all together, but like some of the other members have said there are a lot of good guides on this forum. Just check under the guide services on the THF and you can find some very reputable ranches and guides on here.

Last edited by Longhorn74; 11/02/21 10:04 PM.
Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Sandra W] #8437233 11/02/21 10:19 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Prominent member on here from Menard probably knows of this character. I hope he comments.

'Whole lotta shysters in the area that promise the moon and are incapable of producing anything but excuses.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Sandra W] #8437245 11/02/21 10:24 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
That’s tough. Sorry for the bad experience. I like to drink beer and smoke cigars as much as anyone, but wouldn’t think of doing it while guiding a woman and her son. From your write up it sounds like he completely took advantage of you. I applaud you efforts to get your boy hunting and think it took a lot of guts for a woman to jump out there and buy a guide trip on your own. Hopefully an outfitter on THF can steer you to a good hunt. Thanks for alerting others to the Brent Crawford experience.

Good luck and good hunting!

Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Sandra W] #8437254 11/02/21 10:31 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Apply to the TWA (Texas Wildlife Association) Youth Hunting Program. They have help from TPWD. It's a well run program and the ranches are vetted. I just hosted one at my place and I think it's probably exactly what you're looking for. For $150.00, weekend hunt, whitetail does usually, but sometimes other game animals are available and offered. I was impressed with the organization of the hunt. up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Sandra W] #8437331 11/02/21 11:48 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Creekrunner, good for you for hosting that event. It is a great organization and they put a tremendous number on kids out into the field. They dont just throw them out either, but they really offer a learning experience. Its almost completely volunteers, so they have to love and care about what they are doing.
And Sandra, as others have said, sorry about your experience but dont let it deter you. Welcome to our forum.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Sandra W] #8437345 11/03/21 12:06 AM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Do not let this one spoil you and your son from learning and hunting. I wish you the best of luck. Good hunting.

Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Sandra W] #8437861 11/03/21 02:34 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Sandra, welcome to the forum. so sorry to here that you were taken advantage of and lied to about the hunt.
The best place to get a good guide is here on this form. The bad ones don't last a day here without someone calling
them out.
welcome
Oh, and thank you so much for keeping the rest of us informed about this con artist.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Sandra W] #8437912 11/03/21 03:32 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
welcome

So sorry to hear about your bad experience and thanks for posting. Bad outfitters are bad for our hunting industry. I too commend you for wanting to get your son involved. There are lots of good reputable outfitters on this forum for hog and doe and forum members willing to share experiences. I wish you the best of luck and do not get discouraged

Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Sandra W] #8438073 11/03/21 06:40 PM
O
Old Smuggler Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
O
As they say there are always 2 sides to a story. I have actually communicated to Mr. Crawford and I have asked him to come tell his story.

That said I would like to clear up 2 things in the original post that might change the circumstances a little. I do not have a dog in this fight but I do know the ranch and the outfitter.

1st the son she is interested in getting into hunting, which several of you want to get a youth hunt for, is 24.
2nd this hunt happened recently the past few weeks so where she states that her son had a shot at a deer that Mr. Crawford messed up was 1) totally out of season 2) not included on the hog/dove hunt she purchased.

Not trying to start any discussions with anybody defending any actions on the ranch's part ( I have received more info from Mr. Crawford that again I have asked him to come online and post) but wanted to clear up these 2 issues which shed a little light on the overall situation.

Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Sandra W] #8438112 11/03/21 07:15 PM
H
hpb_rst Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
H
popcorn popcorn popcorn

Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Sandra W] #8438160 11/03/21 08:00 PM
B
booskay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
When I taught high school I always preached --------- Don't take a fact and draw conclusions ---- always find out the back story.

Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Sandra W] #8438165 11/03/21 08:06 PM
B
booskay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
One of Sandra's quotes was

""and I got ready, anticipating dove hunting. Nope!! Mr. Crawford was already drinking. He also had NO DOGS! He was hoping I was bringing mine. So no dove hunting. """

HUH ???

Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Old Smuggler] #8438166 11/03/21 08:07 PM
S
Sandra W Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Old smuggler, I would seen you are trying to have. Dog in this fight. So let me clear some things up for you.

1) the hunt was not 2 weeks ago, it was this last weekend.. the 30fh to the 1st

2) Mr Crawford has since texted me and told me that I bought the lowest package for 1000.00 that I paid and that the dogs were extra

3) my son is not 24, he is 20 and still in college. Frankly I don’t care if he is 8 or 30. If he comes to me and says mom I was to do this…then I will give whatever it takes to make it happen.

4) we were never put in a blind and there was never any feeding while we were there and the feeder were all empty. No corn on the ground.

5) my son did not shoot a deer or it would be in my freezer. There was nothing to shoot out a truck window without lights and no night vision.

You should know the actual facts before you comment sir

Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Sandra W] #8438180 11/03/21 08:14 PM
O
Old Smuggler Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
O
Sandra,

my replies -

1) my assumption was a few weeks ago because I did not know the actual dates - still the deer was out of season
2) I didn't comment on this at all
3) Mr. Crawford said 24, not 20. My reason for stating this was everyone is very sympathic to youth hunters and several commented on getting him involved in youth hunts. Just wanted folks to know he is a grown man.
4) I never commented on this
5) see #1. Did your son shoot at anything?

Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Old Smuggler] #8438188 11/03/21 08:18 PM
S
Sandra W Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Old smuggler,
The only thing Mr. Crawford had my son shoot at were a coyote, a skunk and a couple foxes. No deer. No doves, no hogs.

Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Old Smuggler] #8438243 11/03/21 09:03 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Old Smuggler
Sandra,

my replies -

1) my assumption was a few weeks ago because I did not know the actual dates - still the deer was out of season
2) I didn't comment on this at all
3) Mr. Crawford said 24, not 20. My reason for stating this was everyone is very sympathic to youth hunters and several commented on getting him involved in youth hunts. Just wanted folks to know he is a grown man.
4) I never commented on this
5) see #1. Did your son shoot at anything?

Age has nothing to do with a son or daughter wanting to become a hunter, he ask she took him hunting. Not many outfitters I know will not to try to accommodate a first time hunter. Look back at your previous comment...sorry post above. Once you post you've commented. Go to the mans website and look at the photos to see exactly what the lady is talking about with her experience with the owner. I bet I can pick the owner of out the pics and tell you what brand of beer he likes by the pics he is in on that website.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Sandra W] #8438247 11/03/21 09:06 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Sandra W
Old smuggler,
The only thing Mr. Crawford had my son shoot at were a coyote, a skunk and a couple foxes. No deer. No doves, no hogs.

Whitetail deer were not legal for rifle hunting last weekend for your son. The outfitter should have explained that to you when you first talked to him. General season(all weapons) is not till this weekend. Archery hunting season has been open now for the past month. Axis deer could have been hunted or any other exotic.

Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Creekrunner] #8438282 11/03/21 10:06 PM
S
Sandra W Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
I want to thank everyone for the welcome and support. It is very appreciated. I am not giving up on finding a place that can teach us what we need to learn. Thank you all!

Re: Beware of this lease [Re: Sandra W] #8438286 11/03/21 10:13 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Sandra W
I want to thank everyone for the welcome and support. It is very appreciated. I am not giving up on finding a place that can teach us what we need to learn. Thank you all!

You need to ask a lot of questions when trying to find a place to hunt. Ask for references and call all of them. If they won't give you any or don't have any references then look for another outfitter or ranch to hunt on. Google search the name of the outfitter or his business name to see if there is any feedback on the internet. Go TPWD and read check the season dates and bag limits for the county you are going to hunt in. It is up to you to know the regulations and the outfitter to explain what you can or can not hunt. There are no dumb questions to ask. Most reputable outfitters will ask you as many questions as you ask them. Most will welcome first time or new hunters.

Re: Beware of this lease [Re: scalebuster] #8438541 11/04/21 02:12 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by scalebuster
That’s tough. Sorry for the bad experience. I like to drink beer and smoke cigars as much as anyone, but wouldn’t think of doing it while guiding a woman and her son. From your write up it sounds like he completely took advantage of you. I applaud you efforts to get your boy hunting and think it took a lot of guts for a woman to jump out there and buy a guide trip on your own. Hopefully an outfitter on THF can steer you to a good hunt. Thanks for alerting others to the Brent Crawford experience.

Good luck and good hunting!

SANDRA
You made it sound like you were a single mother with a young boy hunting with a drunk old man trying to take your money and not helping your little son. What I don’t understand now is why you paid him if it was that bad. What kind of man is your son to let someone take advantage of you. 20 year old men might be different these days but if someone was trying to do anything wrong to my mother when I was that age I damn sure would have stopped it, hell back then I was waiting for someone to do anything so I could whip their arse. I don’t know where you raised this kid but that chit wouldn’t fly in Odessa Tx. You misrepresented what happened and raised a coward

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide