Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
S x S dust control #8432292 10/28/21 02:14 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
We have dust that is like talcum powder. I'm brand new to the S x S game, started with a solid front windshield, no rear panel on my Polaris Ranger XP 1000 3 seat. Big mistake. Added rear panel, and it helped, but still dusty to the point that you're wishing for goggles and a bandana. Seizmik makes a vent that installs pretty easy. It comes in a kit of two, or I could just install just one in the center of the front poly windshield. Currently I have figured out a way to vent the solid Poly windshield that I installed. It's very flexible. I made three, 1-1/2" thick cushioned pads out of pipe insulation. They are between the bottom seal and the part of the dash where it rests. It does move move air with the gap, so this may do the trick. I haven't tried it at the lease yet. I'm about to the point to taking the front windshield off and just wearing a face mask and good gloves. It's either that or the dust.

What do ya'll think about the Seizmik vent? Would it move enough air to counter the vortex in the cab?

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: S x S dust control [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8432299 10/28/21 02:23 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Z
No clue on a 3 seater or the rangers, but on the canam defenfer max (2 row seating), if you have a windshield, you better have a rear window and a set of at least half doors. I have the max with a front flip out front windshield and it's open unless it's raining. With that thing down or even in the "vented" position, the dust is rediculous. I'd love to put a set of half doors on but those cost an arm and a leg and haven't quite forced myself to buy a set of them.

Re: S x S dust control [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8432304 10/28/21 02:30 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
You ride with windshield folded down when it's cold? I'm hearing that the 1/2 windshield helps to keep a good bit of the cold off the driver, and solves the dust issue in the cab.

Edit, you have flip out, not folding.

Last edited by onlysmith&wesson; 10/28/21 02:34 PM.

Re: S x S dust control [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8432306 10/28/21 02:34 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I had a half windshield on my old ranger that I made sure I left a gap between the dash/hood and bottom of windshield for air flow. I had not back windshield. A lot of air flow on the older Rangers came up from the bottom and behind the seat. I took a large diameter piece of pipe foam insulation and wedged it behind the seat to stop that air flow. It made a huge difference on dust with the air space under the windshield. My new Ranger I put in a front windshield out polycarbonate that I got from Super ATV for $559. It is a two piece flip open with hydraulic arms that I can leave open to create enough airflow. Super ATV also carries a rear windshield out of polycarbonate that has 2 vents behind each passengers head..you can open or shut them. Half doors like Mules have help a lot. I can buy them made out of aluminum for my Ranger...but they are over $850 for a set. May wait on those to see how the dust in West Texas is this year.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: S x S dust control [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8432307 10/28/21 02:35 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
You ride with windshield folded down when it's cold? I'm hearing that the 1/2 windshield helps to keep a good bit of the cold off the driver, and solves the dust issue in the cab.

I bought one of these for my drivers side but not sure how it will mount with my windshield. I will make it work for the heat on my hands and face when driving.
https://www.everythingpolarisranger.com/polaris-ranger-12v-utv-cab-heater-by-green-mountain.html

Re: S x S dust control [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8432313 10/28/21 02:42 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I only want a windshield when it's cold. I'm thinking of removing it, cutting it in 1/2, something for some relief from the dust. We'll see. My hunting partner has the original Polaris glass that flips out, and will open up just enough to get some air moving. Like 3-4". I want to test the theory of venting it the way I did to see how much difference that makes.

Re: S x S dust control [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8432322 10/28/21 02:47 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Amazing the deficiencies these expensive units come with and which people expose themselves to.

Re: S x S dust control [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8432332 10/28/21 02:56 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
You can get one that flips down that is two piece out of polycarbonate also. Polaris makes the half windshield also and they make a windshield that flips out that can be left partially open. The one I have now and the half windshield I had before were the right height for an added shooting rest. I can take off the top part of my windshield I want to but can run around all day long with it up and open. I prefer to have it open 90% of the time though. Little cold and air is nice. The view is unobstructed also out of a UTV. I am not a candy-azz like some South Texas hunters who need heat and a/c all the time..... peep
I only want a windshield when it's cold. I'm thinking of removing it, cutting it in 1/2, something for some relief from the dust. We'll see. My hunting partner has the original Polaris glass that flips out, and will open up just enough to get some air moving. Like 3-4". I want to test the theory of venting it the way I did to see how much difference that makes.

Re: S x S dust control [Re: Hudbone] #8432345 10/28/21 03:03 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Amazing the deficiencies these expensive units come with and which people expose themselves to.

I've had everything. Tacoma, Bronco, Full Size 4WD trucks, Honda Foreman 4 Wheeler, etc......I currently have a new Z71 that I can drive to and from stand on cold mornings if I take my windshield off. They all have pros and cons, a hunter just has to look at his own situation and weigh it all out and make a decision. I've had the Ranger to the lease twice and have zero buyers remorse. It does it all and it's one of those things you wonder how you did without it.

The dust issue is the only issue, and I'll figure it out. My hunting partners all drive Rangers and use a variety of options and don't have problems with dust. I like to explore all the options and hear form those that have responded, ya'll keep the suggestions coming.

Re: S x S dust control [Re: stxranchman] #8432350 10/28/21 03:06 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by stxranchman
You can get one that flips down that is two piece out of polycarbonate also. Polaris makes the half windshield also and they make a windshield that flips out that can be left partially open. The one I have now and the half windshield I had before were the right height for an added shooting rest. I can take off the top part of my windshield I want to but can run around all day long with it up and open. I prefer to have it open 90% of the time though. Little cold and air is nice. The view is unobstructed also out of a UTV. I am not a candy-azz like some South Texas hunters who need heat and a/c all the time..... peep

Yup.

Re: S x S dust control [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8433586 10/29/21 08:21 PM
B
Black Duck Dog Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Keep a very close eye on your air filter it will clog before you know it and smoke the rings in your motor. Look into a snorkel puts the air filter up by the top.

Re: S x S dust control [Re: Black Duck Dog] #8433592 10/29/21 08:33 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Black Duck Dog
Keep a very close eye on your air filter it will clog before you know it and smoke the rings in your motor. Look into a snorkel puts the air filter up by the top.

Thanks, I will.

Re: S x S dust control [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8435539 11/01/21 03:14 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I have half doors
Windshield with low middle and upper right and left vents. Nothing on the back I bet less dust with at least o e vent open, the two on the sides can get cold , BUT less dust

Re: S x S dust control [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8437006 11/02/21 06:22 PM
B
BOLT GUY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Putting a lift on all three rangers helped tremendously, nothing major i think they are 2-3". Getting more airflow underneath seemed to do the trick and more clearance between the road the bottom of the ranger.
I have half front windshields and sliding rear.

Re: S x S dust control [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8437436 11/03/21 01:22 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Drive faster

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: S x S dust control [Re: BigPig] #8437476 11/03/21 02:08 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by BigPig
Drive faster

The problem is when I have to stop.

Re: S x S dust control [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8438069 11/03/21 06:34 PM
C
COFF (TFF) Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Replace the windshield with a mesh screen. Night and day difference in the dust, and I couldn't believe how much it helped.

You'll miss the windshield when it rains though.

Re: S x S dust control [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8438607 11/04/21 04:58 AM
E
easton1025 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I have a 2012 trans mule and it is a dust machine if you dont have some sort of front vent.. on cold months when i have the windshield on i keep the lower flip up open.. Otherwise its terrible...

Re: S x S dust control [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8438915 11/04/21 03:11 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I bought a half windshield, $200.00 gamble. I think it will work. On a few test runs up and down the street, it blocks more a surprising amount of wind and deflects it upward to the top inside the cab. I'm hoping this is what is needed.

With a full front windshield, and a rear window panel, no doors, the dust is kicked up from the front tires and has no place to go but inside each opening with equal pressure from both sides. We'll see if the air blowing in from the front will keep the air moving out the door openings.

Re: S x S dust control [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8439144 11/04/21 07:15 PM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I bought a half windshield, $200.00 gamble. I think it will work. On a few test runs up and down the street, it blocks more a surprising amount of wind and deflects it upward to the top inside the cab. I'm hoping this is what is needed.

With a full front windshield, and a rear window panel, no doors, the dust is kicked up from the front tires and has no place to go but inside each opening with equal pressure from both sides. We'll see if the air blowing in from the front will keep the air moving out the door openings.

You’ll probably have to remove the rear window now, it will create a strange effect and may swirl in more dust. A half windshield was great for us with no back window. Now, different SxS, has a full front and full back with solid doors and we don’t get dust in the cab.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: S x S dust control [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8440202 11/05/21 11:12 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It makes me have coughing fits.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: S x S dust control [Re: BigPig] #8442495 11/08/21 03:43 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by BigPig

You’ll probably have to remove the rear window now, it will create a strange effect and may swirl in more dust. A half windshield was great for us with no back window. Now, different SxS, has a full front and full back with solid doors and we don’t get dust in the cab.

Solid, half doors?

Re: S x S dust control [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8442499 11/08/21 03:47 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
It’s amazing how much dust half doors knock out

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: S x S dust control [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8442500 11/08/21 03:48 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
1/2 front windshield, full rear, no doors. Problem solved. I'd say a 99% improvement. Dust inside the cab is not noticeable while driving, but you do see a little dust build up on the dash. Nothing like the unbearable cloud inside and a heavy, solid coating of dust with the full front and rear windshield with no doors. It was mid 30's and with me going about 15-20 mph the only extra article of clothing I needed was a face mask.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide