Print Thread
Devils River SNA - Del Norte Unit - Exotics #8437411 11/03/21 01:05 AM
A
Appels Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
A
Did anyone get drawn for Exotics in Devils River SNA - Del Norte Unit or know of anyone who did?

Re: Devils River SNA - Del Norte Unit - Exotics [Re: Appels] #8437418 11/03/21 01:11 AM
S
StraitShot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I sure didn't... I've got 19 points and an empty bucket... it goes that way sometimes....

Re: Devils River SNA - Del Norte Unit - Exotics [Re: StraitShot] #8437463 11/03/21 01:54 AM
A
Appels Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
A
Dang .. sorry to hear that. I know the feeling all to well. Was lucky to get drawn with 10 LP’s but am looking to connect with anyone who did as well.

Re: Devils River SNA - Del Norte Unit - Exotics [Re: Appels] #8437482 11/03/21 02:11 AM
S
StraitShot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Congratulations ! I am glad that you got drawn. It's an amazingly beautiful place... that's why I keep selecting it. What are you hoping to connect with game wise and what are you planning on taking ?

Re: Devils River SNA - Del Norte Unit - Exotics [Re: StraitShot] #8437534 11/03/21 03:01 AM
A
Appels Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
A
Thanks! First time in 10 years with any draw selection luck, so this is going to be a first for me, same for the visit to the area down there. I’ve come across a few good historical posts on here and other pages with suggestions on places to stay and how to prepare, those have been treasure troves and a good starting point for me.

Primary focus is going to be Aoudad, they sound plentiful in that country. I typically hunt whitetail out in West Texas, so looking forward to the experience overall. I will be taking advantage of this opportunity to properly gear up - starting with a good day pack and new pair of boots. The list is growing quickly though. At the moment, I’m more focused on logistics and hoping to find some folks on here planning the same trip to maybe link up for a convoy, or at least exchange contact info and to meet some follow THF members.

It sounds like you’ve made the trip before, is that right?

It seems like a guiding principal is to make sure you have everything you need due to the remoteness, if you can think of anything else I should get a head start on (aside from lodging, planning a cabin at McKenna) I’d appreciate any guidance!

Re: Devils River SNA - Del Norte Unit - Exotics [Re: Appels] #8437592 11/03/21 04:31 AM
S
StraitShot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
That is my dream hunt... Del Norte Unit for Aoudad... nailed it... I have hunted Black Gap, Big Bend State Ranch (spent one day on horseback) and the top of Elephant Mountain. I got two 10 point bucks and 2 does from Elephant Mountain and got to see the Big Horn Sheep to top it off ! I love hunting West Texas. No finer place anywhere... love Alpine.

My go-to list of stuff: A good day pack - mine is Bad Lands - old but still going. Good boots, mine are Danner (essentially desert combat boots). Good binoculars, mine are 8X30 Stiner that I carry in a side pouch so my hands are free. Water... I am a little old school.. I have 3 - one quart canteens.. 2 go in the pack and one on the hip on a web belt - I did say I'm a little old school. I have a 3 - seven gallon water jugs that go in the back of the truck bed so I can cook freeze dried or canned food, replenish water and wipe off sweat at the end of the day. For medical I carry large and small tweezers (for the things that stick you) and scissors. I have Benadryl for the things that bite you (hopefully not too bad), aspirin and ibuprofen and alcohol wipes All the medical fits in a small plastic soap box (the kind you'd keep a bar of soap in). It is very light so why not take it. Duct tape - it fixes almost anything and can double as band-aides (truly)... Other stuff: butane lighter and tinder, good up-to-date GPS extra batteries and S.P.O.T (for emergencies). I also carry a really good compass and Geo Map if I have time to research and get one. I actually like the Geo Map more than GPS because it's easier for me to "see" what I'm getting into (but that is just me). The GPS is unbeatable for laying down a trail and then tracing it back to base. Snacks / food to eat on the trail. High protein and carb stuff usually... I probably left stuff out... like game bags (light nylon breathable) .... anyway... that is some basic stuff...

Other things to think about.. .clothing (socks, shirts and pants) something to cook on, something to sleep in and sleep on... and take lots and lots of pics... it is beautiful out there...

Re: Devils River SNA - Del Norte Unit - Exotics [Re: StraitShot] #8437890 11/03/21 03:11 PM
A
Appels Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
A
Great suggestions here, I appreciate that.

I wasn't aware of S.P.O.T, but just looked in to it, it seems like a great safety net, I'm planning to get one of those. It seems like the newer units have some GPS tracking capabilities, I'm wondering if that would could be dual purpose instead of getting a standalone GPS unit also. Plans so far are to utilize OnX and have offline maps ready.

For the boots, I live in snake boots out in West Tx - Danner Sharptails. I imagine those may make things tough given this terrain and should probably get some hikers.

Thanks again for sharing the load out list - it's always good to cross check and get new ideas (like the S.P.O.T).

Re: Devils River SNA - Del Norte Unit - Exotics [Re: Appels] #8438195 11/03/21 08:23 PM
S
StraitShot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
You can try snake gaiters.. they work well over hunting boots and aren't they hassle it might seem.... Good luck on your hunt and post pics when you get back... !!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide