Page 1 of 2 1 2
Propane burner / Turkey fryer #8436104 11/01/21 08:49 PM
J
jdk1985 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
J
I'm wanting to buy a propane burner for camping purposes. Thought I might as well buy a turkey fryer and cook the turkey that way this year for Thanksgiving.

It seems like everything is about the same... I can't find a "oh, this is clearly the best one to buy" option. Am I missing something?

What burner / fryer should I be looking at?

Thanks

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: jdk1985] #8436112 11/01/21 08:55 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by jdk1985
I'm wanting to buy a propane burner for camping purposes. Thought I might as well buy a turkey fryer and cook the turkey that way this year for Thanksgiving.

It seems like everything is about the same... I can't find a "oh, this is clearly the best one to buy" option. Am I missing something?

Thanks

What are you wanting to cook in addition to turkeys? Those burners tend to be oriented for big pots and put out a lot of heat I believe.

To be determined
Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: jdk1985] #8436120 11/01/21 09:03 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Pretty much any propane burner will do, though I would recommend something that is close to the ground vs something taller. The question is really what size pot do you need? Turkey pots are much skinnier than say a smaller crawfish pot which helps on grease quantity. Turkey pots will also typically have something to pull the bird out with, crawfish pots have a basket to pull out and tend to be wider, meaning more grease is needed.

Your first time, you REALLY want to monitor your grease temp, particularly on startup. You can burn the crap out of the grease before you fry a thing, same goes for after dropping the bird in. My first turkey fry, I ran my burner like I was boiling crawfish, NOT the way to do it. smile

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: jdk1985] #8436153 11/01/21 09:39 PM
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Low to the ground a must. You can get away with a 10 PSI regulator for turkey. If you ever think you'll do crawfish in a bigger pot, go 20 PSI.

Be prepared to choke when you go to buy the peanut oil. It's gotten expensive.

[Linked Image]
Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: jdk1985] #8436172 11/01/21 09:57 PM
P
pdr55 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Academy has a burner / pot combo on sale for $49.95 in a Houston Chronicle ad in the Sunday paper.

If you`re running down my country, man,
You`re walking on the fighting side of me. (Merle)
Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: jdk1985] #8436188 11/01/21 10:24 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Thanks

I'll yet again recommend The Big Easy by Charbroil. Oiless "fryer" that gives great results. Big enough for a good sized bird but there are also different accessories available for doing roasts and other stuff. No expensive oil to buy, store, or risk spilling. Only two settings. Off and On. Super easy. I usually inject the bird with Tony's garlic butter, quick wipe-down with peanut oil (it comes in small bottles) and a dusting with Tony's "More Spice." Super tasty, juicy, bird. Not as quick as the deep fry method, you'll need to keep an eye on the internal temp, but also doesn't need constant monitoring as there's no huge pot of scalding oil to tip over. I deep fried turkeys for about 30 years before I went to this about 8 years ago or so and won't ever go back.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: Slow Drifter] #8436200 11/01/21 10:39 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Slow Drifter

Thanks

I'll yet again recommend The Big Easy by Charbroil. Oiless "fryer" that gives great results. Big enough for a good sized bird but there are also different accessories available for doing roasts and other stuff. No expensive oil to buy, store, or risk spilling. Only two settings. Off and On. Super easy. I usually inject the bird with Tony's garlic butter, quick wipe-down with peanut oil (it comes in small bottles) and a dusting with Tony's "More Spice." Super tasty, juicy, bird. Not as quick as the deep fry method, you'll need to keep an eye on the internal temp, but also doesn't need constant monitoring as there's no huge pot of scalding oil to tip over. I deep fried turkeys for about 30 years before I went to this about 8 years ago or so and won't ever go back.

That was the reason for my question to the OP. Those are awesome machines. Plus you can do other things in addition to turkeys.

To be determined
Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: Slow Drifter] #8436236 11/01/21 11:21 PM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"

Thanks

I have the oil less fry by charbroil as well. Used it once. It is NOT the same as a peanut oil fryer.
Been deep frying turkeys for over 30 years and do not waste your money, it is just a high temp gas oven.

If anyone in the DFW area wants mine you can have it, seriously used once.

Last edited by Superduty; 11/01/21 11:21 PM.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: Superduty] #8436248 11/01/21 11:33 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Not propane but the electric Butterball turkey fryer is the easiest and safest oil fryer you can find. Only drawback is it only takes smaller birds. 3 min per lb and you don't have to worry about catching fire!

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: jdk1985] #8436498 11/02/21 04:02 AM
J
jdk1985 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
J
Thanks all. The real reason I want to buy something is to be able to quickly boil medium quantities of water while camping. But, having a fish (etc.) fryer would be nice.

Are BTU's that important?

I like the oilless fryer option, but I do not think it would work for my primary intended purpose (boiling / cooking while camping).

Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: Superduty] #8436510 11/02/21 05:25 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Superduty

Thanks

I have the oil less fry by charbroil as well. Used it once. It is NOT the same as a peanut oil fryer.
Been deep frying turkeys for over 30 years and do not waste your money, it is just a high temp gas oven.

That’s an amazing offer. Someone should jump on that.

To be determined
Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8436521 11/02/21 09:48 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Originally Posted by Superduty

Thanks

That’s an amazing offer. Someone should jump on that.

Yes, Best outdoor cooking thing I own. Really. Perfect turkey, so easy. We do ribs, chicken etc...Uses very little propane.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: jdk1985] #8436616 11/02/21 11:50 AM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
Already gone, my brother is going to pick it up tonight.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: jdk1985] #8436639 11/02/21 12:13 PM
nak Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
My high pressure burner is way too much heat for anything other than stuff like crawfish or turkey.

I have tried several times to cook big pots of stew, chili, and beans (not together) on it. There is no way to get it low enough to simmer a big pot. The stew and beans both burned on the bottom. The chili pretty much cooked at a rolling boil the entire time.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: nak] #8436719 11/02/21 01:32 PM
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by nak
My high pressure burner is way too much heat for anything other than stuff like crawfish or turkey.

I have tried several times to cook big pots of stew, chili, and beans (not together) on it. There is no way to get it low enough to simmer a big pot. The stew and beans both burned on the bottom. The chili pretty much cooked at a rolling boil the entire time.

Try putting a needle valve on it. It should help.

[Linked Image]
Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: jdk1985] #8436764 11/02/21 02:18 PM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
We don’t save used oil and since it’s so expensive I usually fry 3 turkeys. Tell people you are gonna deep fry a turkey and someone will ask you to fry theirs.

Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: jdk1985] #8436801 11/02/21 02:52 PM
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Fry a pork loin when you do it. Those are good.

I haven't fried a turkey in years. Been doing them on the BGE now.

[Linked Image]
Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: jdk1985] #8436856 11/02/21 03:29 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

go buy a fried turkey, much less work and mess.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: nak] #8436967 11/02/21 05:42 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
Originally Posted by nak

Get the below adjustable regulator:
https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-2120-Propane-Regulator-Pressure/dp/B07GRFTR4S?dchild=1
Amazon.com: adjustable propane regulator
https://www.amazon.com/adjustable-propane...
Oct 12, 2021 · Amazon.com: adjustable propane regulator

GasOne 2120 4 ft Propane Regulator and Hose 0-30PSI with PSI Gauge
Amazon.com : GasOne 2120 4 ft Propane Regulator and Hose 0-30PSI with PSI Gauge : Pati…
Manufacturer : GasOne · Product Dimensions : 9 x 7 x 3 inches · Brand : GasOne

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: Espy] #8436978 11/02/21 05:55 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Espy
We don’t save used oil and since it’s so expensive I usually fry 3 turkeys. Tell people you are gonna deep fry a turkey and someone will ask you to fry theirs.

That is truth right there.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: Slow Drifter] #8437099 11/02/21 08:07 PM
S
Shotgun Willie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I'll yet again recommend The Big Easy by Charbroil. Oiless "fryer" that gives great results.

I've been meaning to pick one of these up and just hadn't yet. Happened into Academy today for some shotgun shells, and they've got the Big Easy on sale for 89 bucks. Cheapest I've seen it, so I went ahead and got one. I think I spent a healthy portion of that on oil last year.

Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: Shotgun Willie] #8437125 11/02/21 08:38 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie
I'll yet again recommend The Big Easy by Charbroil. Oiless "fryer" that gives great results.

I've been meaning to pick one of these up and just hadn't yet. Happened into Academy today for some shotgun shells, and they've got the Big Easy on sale for 89 bucks. Cheapest I've seen it, so I went ahead and got one. I think I spent a healthy portion of that on oil last year.

Check out videos on other things to cook. Makes great chicken wings with the wing holders. Can also do amazing ribs and other things.

To be determined
Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8437129 11/02/21 08:41 PM
S
Shotgun Willie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie

Check out videos on other things to cook. Makes great chicken wings with the wing holders. Can also do amazing ribs and other things.

Planning on it. I've heard a prime rib is amazing out of one. Would definitely use it for wings if they're good.

Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: jdk1985] #8437606 11/03/21 05:00 AM
J
jdk1985 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
J
Thanks all

Re: Propane burner / Turkey fryer [Re: jdk1985] #8437612 11/03/21 05:48 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef

Thanks

I would advise a "King Cooker", can buy from Academy or other retail stores. Inexpensive. Short legs, good burner & regulator for what it is. You can also turn it way down (with proper wind breaks) to make a roux or simmer a chili or carne guisada for hours in a big pot. You wanna fry a turkey, no problem. It'll bring the heat. Just grab your turkey pot.

Don't buy a jet burner for turkeys, gumbos etc.....jet burners are for boils. It's too easy to get your temp up and then you can't bring it down soon enough.

IMO there is no comparison between meat properly fried in peanut oil, and any air fryer. Just not the same at all.

I've fried a lot of turkeys and used the same burners to make gumbo & chili outside. Mentioned my store bought recommendation, the big "King Cooker" burners work well.

Just keep your burner out of the weather and you will get MANY more years of use. Or, do like my BIL does every time I loan him one of my burners and he forgets and leaves it outside to rust.....then at the next get together I am wire brushing/torch clip cleaning every hole instead of cooking and playing corn hole or horse shoes. roflmao

Also, always make sure your propane tank/hose/regulator is UPWIND when you fire it up and pay attention to wind shifts. I have two burners in my garage right now that need new hoses & connections because they melted off roflmao

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide