Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Pedernales Falls Antlerless #8429556 10/25/21 09:05 PM
12shotgun Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Got drawn for antlerless/spike Nov 16-18 at Pedernales Falls, has someone hunted there recently that can report about the abundance or lack of exotics? I’m expecting/hoping there will be no issues seeing does but wouldn’t mind seeing an aoudad, sika or axis grin
Thanks!!

Eduardo
Outdoor enthusiast
Re: Pedernales Falls Antlerless [Re: 12shotgun] #8434481 10/30/21 10:46 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
FWIW....Seems like I remember guys talking in the past about Axis & mebbe Sika enough that I have been putting in for this location every year for the last several years. Dunno nuthin about Aoudad as they are not in my focus of great things to eat. LOT"S of Years ago I was told when I had chances at Aoudad on Mr Bill Carter's ranch in far west Texas back when he had a 85 mile high fence around the property he wanted the State to use during the Rocky Mtn Sheep Restoration Project . Just a magnificent looking critter though. I would throw rocks at Kobe Beef if I had an unlimited source of Axis in the freezer.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Pedernales Falls Antlerless [Re: WileyCoyote] #8434556 10/31/21 12:51 AM
12shotgun Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
That's reassuring WileyCoyote! I don't mind coming back with a couple does but have never shot/tasted Axis or Sika and I keep hearing Axis is fantastic; never shot Aoudad but I'd be willing to try it as well.

And to my great surprise I woke up yesterday to an email from TPWD that I was selected to National Refuge Exotic at La Sal Del Rey on the second drawing!
I'm super pumped and digging up all the info I can on the area and Nilgai, can't wait until February.

Eduardo
Outdoor enthusiast
Re: Pedernales Falls Antlerless [Re: 12shotgun] #8434926 10/31/21 03:00 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Congrats on hitting the jackpot! I'd always rather be LUCKY than just "Good at sumthin."

I have a self made nephew who is more than just a little wealthy. Umm more than a few years ago, back in one of his Buy Distressed Land days he briefly looked at a ranch that had been let get over run with Axis to the point the critters were down to eating tree bark during a family business breakup, and I had hoped and prayed that IF my nephew bought the place .... just mebbe I could go "help" relieve the over crowded population. Oh Well another so called opportunity that was just another musing fantasy.

FWIW, years ago there was a outfit that pen raised Axis somewhere west of Austin as I recall and advertised the meat in Texas Hwy's magazine at shall we say " a tad more than a "just" a few nickle's & dimes a pound" . If you can find an Ad like that these days I'm sure it'd be big time cheaper than trying to find a lease or Day Hunt that offers Axis by the pound. Good Luck on your hunt.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Pedernales Falls Antlerless [Re: 12shotgun] #8435075 10/31/21 04:56 PM
W
Whiptail Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W

I hunted Pederales in 2012 and they said there were some exotics(goats, aoudad, and Sika or Fallow(I can't remember which)) but most were on the other side of the river. We didn't see anything other than whitetails and everyone had an opportunity to get something. The game warden who worked it was total ahole but the Pedernales staff person was a good guy who was trying to make everyone have a good experience.

FYI you have to bring your own firewood if are staying at the campground.

Re: Pedernales Falls Antlerless [Re: Whiptail] #8435080 10/31/21 05:03 PM
12shotgun Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Originally Posted by Whiptail

I hunted Pederales in 2012 and they said there were some exotics(goats, aoudad, and Sika or Fallow(I can't remember which)) but most were on the other side of the river. We didn't see anything other than whitetails and everyone had an opportunity to get something. The game warden who worked it was total ahole but the Pedernales staff person was a good guy who was trying to make everyone have a good experience.

FYI you have to bring your own firewood if are staying at the campground.

Thanks for the info!

Eduardo
Outdoor enthusiast
Re: Pedernales Falls Antlerless [Re: WileyCoyote] #8435081 10/31/21 05:04 PM
12shotgun Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote
Congrats on hitting the jackpot! I'd always rather be LUCKY than just "Good at sumthin."

I have a self made nephew who is more than just a little wealthy. Umm more than a few years ago, back in one of his Buy Distressed Land days he briefly looked at a ranch that had been let get over run with Axis to the point the critters were down to eating tree bark during a family business breakup, and I had hoped and prayed that IF my nephew bought the place .... just mebbe I could go "help" relieve the over crowded population. Oh Well another so called opportunity that was just another musing fantasy.

FWIW, years ago there was a outfit that pen raised Axis somewhere west of Austin as I recall and advertised the meat in Texas Hwy's magazine at shall we say " a tad more than a "just" a few nickle's & dimes a pound" . If you can find an Ad like that these days I'm sure it'd be big time cheaper than trying to find a lease or Day Hunt that offers Axis by the pound. Good Luck on your hunt.
Ron

Thanks! I’ll post a report once I get back.

Eduardo
Outdoor enthusiast
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide