Print Thread
South Dakota Hunt #8429561 10/25/21 09:07 PM
B
buckmaster07 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
Headed up to SD for ducks and geese later this week but getting concerned that there might not be much action with all this mild weather. Anyone have reports from up there? Have the birds started heading down yet? We’re debating on whether we need to stay in SD or go up to ND. We’ll be based out of Aberdeen. Any tips would be appreciated!

Re: South Dakota Hunt [Re: buckmaster07] #8429833 10/26/21 01:03 AM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I’d be more concerned about the lack of water than the lack of birds. If you can find water you will at least have plenty of resident ducks to shoot at. I was up there in august for work and most of the water was just about dried up. They were slipping into a pretty bad drought. Most water I saw though had a good number of ducks.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: South Dakota Hunt [Re: buckmaster07] #8430032 10/26/21 03:58 AM
A
Aggieduck Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Field hunt them, if there's water next to a cut ag field hunt the edge birds WILL be there

Re: South Dakota Hunt [Re: buckmaster07] #8430683 10/26/21 09:30 PM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Per DU today

While bird numbers are not yet at peak levels, hunters in South Dakota are finding new opportunities, courtesy of a calendar push of divers and puddle ducks into the state.

There has been a noticeable increase in bird numbers over the past week, according to South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks senior waterfowl biologist Rocco Murano.

“The biggest sign, maybe the most visible sign, that there has been a bit of a migration event is that we’re seeing swans on some of the larger semi-permanent wetlands. Regarding ducks, I think we’re kind of in the middle of that calendar migration. We are starting to see a bump in gadwall, wigeon and green-winged teal, along with some divers,” says Murano. “There hasn’t been much of a mallard migration at this point, and that will take some help from the weather to push those birds down into South Dakota.”

Murano says that hunters can monitor the mallard migration in part by visiting the GFP website, where weekly updates will be posted throughout the season.

“I’ve got a crew of about a dozen folks who will be helping provide updates on mallards from around the state,” Murano says.

Along with the report of waterfowl migrating into the area, a series of October rain storms is providing another bit of good news for South Dakota hunters.

“Similar to North Dakota, wetland conditions in parts of South Dakota have benefited from recent rains. While there are large areas that are abnormally dry, this moisture has been good news for producers, and it is a step in the right direction for breeding and nesting habitat next spring and summer,” says Bruce Toay, manager of conservation programs for Ducks Unlimited in South Dakota.

Toay reports that the northern tier of counties east of the Missouri River have started to see the first migrating flocks of waterfowl, including speckle-bellied geese, lesser Canada geese and some divers and puddle ducks.

“It is a waiting game at this point to see what the weather will do,” says Toay. “Temperatures have been rather mild, so as the migration continues to ramp up, the big question will be how long the birds will be able to have access to open water and food resources.”

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide