Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
People you know who have left the sport #8426721 10/22/21 06:13 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Had lunch the other day with a good friend who once hunted his own place in East Texas but later sold it after getting remarried. He admits the reason he sold it was because his wife wanted a place on the lake, which he has now. He loved hunting when he had his own place but has since showed no interest in getting back into it, not even making occasional trips to the range just to shoot. Through the years I've known a guy or two who tried hunting but quickly lost interest. There just seems to be something in a person's genetic makeup that makes hunting either an obsession they could never walk away from, or something that can be easily replaced with some other activity.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/22/21 06:14 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8426731 10/22/21 06:27 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
My whole family(extended, about 30 people) used to hunt, all my cousins and uncles, some of my aunts. We all had our own leases. One by one some lost a lease and never bothered to look for a new one. We eventually bought our own place and gave up the leases. The others may or may not go on a package hunt/invite hunt every great once in a while, but mostly not. I do not understand it. I couldn't/wouldn't do it. Use to be a big deal to talk hunting with all my uncles, the successful hunters would bring a rack to show off etc. Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations with the extended family were planned around hunting because everyone did. Now my dad brother and myself are literally the only ones in the family that still hunt.

While money isn't a limiting factor for any of them, I do believe most don't hunt anymore because they think a current lease costs too much and or they are not willing to put in the effort.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8426846 10/22/21 08:55 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
You are running with the wrong crowd it seems like.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8426873 10/22/21 09:35 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
They people I know who got out of the sport were either not that big into it to begin with ( weekend warrior types ) or got too old to go hard at it anymore.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: stxranchman] #8427221 10/23/21 05:12 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by stxranchman

Not surprising roflmao

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8427264 10/23/21 11:51 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Had lunch the other day with a good friend who once hunted his own place in East Texas but later sold it after getting remarried. He admits the reason he sold it was because his wife wanted a place on the lake, which he has now. He loved hunting when he had his own place but has since showed no interest in getting back into it, not even making occasional trips to the range just to shoot. Through the years I've known a guy or two who tried hunting but quickly lost interest. There just seems to be something in a person's genetic makeup that makes hunting either an obsession they could never walk away from, or something that can be easily replaced with some other activity.

All hobbies are that way. I don't hunt (really enjoy shooting, but not hunting so much), but I feel that way about golf - I could never really walk away from it for good. I have times where I can't play as much but I try to keep those few and far between.

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: stxranchman] #8427278 10/23/21 12:10 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Agreed. Wasting time on social media has become a problem for many people, including myself.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8427292 10/23/21 12:44 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Agreed. Wasting time on social media has become a problem for many people, including myself.

You could always delete your account since it was wasted time and meaningless posts.

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8427313 10/23/21 01:03 PM
S
SpoonPlatoon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
My dad never missed an opening day of rifle season for 38 straight years. He got a bad taste in his mouth from a bad deal on a lease and has only hunted a hand full of time since

[Linked Image]
Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8427315 10/23/21 01:06 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
The only ones I know that have stopped all did so because of aging out in their 80s/90s.

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8427680 10/23/21 07:14 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
I can't remember how old I was when the hunting bug bit me, was nothing I didn't like to hunt, now at 80 the passion is still there, the body not so much, I would like very much to shoot a hog ( my custom savage 38-55) would be a great memory, but, all my contacts have passed away, now don't have a place to go.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8427714 10/23/21 07:51 PM
HWY_MAN Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Dan it's not a sport or a game. it's an instinct we all possess, some more than others.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8427751 10/23/21 08:54 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I have rarely seen anyone quit hunting altogether unless old age mandates it. I have seen some slow down and/or change quarries and/or change methods.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #8427759 10/23/21 09:09 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
I have rarely seen anyone quit hunting altogether unless old age mandates it. I have seen some slow down and/or change quarries and/or change methods.

I had several uncles who hunted and then one day they just quit. Several people I know hunted a bit when they were younger they just don’t go anymore.

I’ve never seen anyone who was gung ho hard core into it just up and quit. I’ve seen quite a few people who were dabblers in it stop doing it.

I enjoy the game of golf and used to play 1-3 times a year. I have a good time when I go. I could also never play another game of golf in my life and it would not bother me. This is how these folks view hunting. It’s not a lifestyle for these folks it’s just a casual hobby.

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8428102 10/24/21 04:20 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Age has slowed me down along with mobility problems that have caused me to change my methods, but I can't see myself throwing in the towel after all these many years.
I have to be "out there" even if I don't kill something.
Certain small details I remember of past hunts that seem so clear, but yet are so insignificant as seeing and smelling smoke coming from a wood burning stove, or a norther blowing the trees, and watching the leaves flutter to the ground that brings back a fond memory.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8428145 10/24/21 12:13 PM
Adchunts Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
I am posting this from a tree stand in eastern Oklahoma during deer muzzleloader season. While living in this area for 46 years, I was a pretty hardcore hunter. Deer, duck, quail, squirrel, hog, turkey. I was hunting pretty much every weekend from October 1 through the end of January, and took my vacation for hunting. Since moving to Texas in 2016, pretty much the only time I hunt is Oklahoma muzzleloader. Too hard (and expensive) to find a good lease in Texas. Hunted public land in Arkansas and Oklahoma. I believe access will be the major issue in hunter recruitment in Texas going forward. Eventually, it will be a sport for the rich/elite.

Last edited by Adchunts; 10/24/21 12:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8428233 10/24/21 02:17 PM
Inge0071 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
He admits the reason he sold it was because his wife wanted a place on the lake, which he has now. He loved hunting when he had his own place but has since showed no interest in getting back into it, not even making occasional trips to the range just to shoot.

2 types of hunters: folks who hunt for food/quiet and those that hunt for sport.

Same with shooters: folks there to socialize vs guys practicing an art.

We have a lot of vet buddies that grew up hunting, but now want nothing more at the deer camp than quiet and campfire chatter.

Pro Deo et patria
Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Adchunts] #8428239 10/24/21 02:24 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Adchunts
I am posting this from a tree stand in eastern Oklahoma during deer muzzleloader season. While living in this area for 46 years, I was a pretty hardcore hunter. Deer, duck, quail, squirrel, hog, turkey. I was hunting pretty much every weekend from October 1 through the end of January, and took my vacation for hunting. Since moving to Texas in 2016, pretty much the only time I hunt is Oklahoma muzzleloader. Too hard (and expensive) to find a good lease in Texas. Hunted public land in Arkansas and Oklahoma. I believe access will be the major issue in hunter recruitment in Texas going forward. Eventually, it will be a sport for the rich/elite.

Only way it will become a rich/elite way of life is if the Democratic Party mandates extensive yearly firearm/ammo taxes/registration.

US is 28% public land. If we fail to recruit it’s because we are to lazy to get off the couch and show new people HOW to hunt public. We would rather project or keep our spots secret.. etc.

I grew up hunting Oklahoma, and still hunt private and public there. I still hunt private and public in Texas.

I laugh when people say they don’t hunt texas anymore because of lease cost but drive to CO to hunt OTC.

People can drive 9+ hours to CO but not 2 hours to hunt TX public. It’s humorous.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8428267 10/24/21 03:01 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Only way it will become a rich/elite way of life is if the Democratic Party mandates extensive yearly firearm/ammo taxes/registration.

US is 28% public land. If we fail to recruit it’s because we are to lazy to get off the couch and show new people HOW to hunt public. We would rather project or keep our spots secret.. etc.

I grew up hunting Oklahoma, and still hunt private and public there. I still hunt private and public in Texas.

I laugh when people say they don’t hunt texas anymore because of lease cost but drive to CO to hunt OTC.

People can drive 9+ hours to CO but not 2 hours to hunt TX public. It’s humorous.

Ya bit they don’t have mule deer, black bear and elk in the Davy Crockett nat. Forest either

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: txtrophy85] #8428271 10/24/21 03:05 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Ya bit they don’t have mule deer, black bear and elk in the Davy Crockett nat. Forest either

They don't have those around the Garven Store area either but that does not stop folks from buying land there.

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8428278 10/24/21 03:18 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
But Garvens Store has jerky and a nice selection of biker apparel

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8428284 10/24/21 03:30 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
The people I know leaving the deer lease have aged a bit or found the lease price to be more than they wish to pay. Then there are those that hunt opening weekend only .

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Hudbone] #8428288 10/24/21 03:32 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Hudbone
But Garvens Store has jerky and a nice selection of biker apparel

Not to mention a beautiful flock of peacocks and chickens

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Wilhunt] #8428291 10/24/21 03:34 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Wilhunt
The people I know leaving the deer lease have aged a bit or found the lease price to be more than they wish to pay. Then there are those that hunt opening weekend only .

When I was a kid we hunted south of Utopia one year.

6000 acres 13 guys on the lease. 11 guys would shoot the first halfway decent 8 point they saw opening weekend and call it good.

Re: People you know who have left the sport [Re: Texas Dan] #8428308 10/24/21 04:03 PM
T
Txhillbilly Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
For me personally, the expense of hunting today isn't worth it anymore. I never was a trophy hunter, just hunted for the meat, but for most of my life I always had places that I could go hunting that didn't cost thousands of dollars to do it. Those people have either died or sold off their property, or the family member's that have it now want to charge outrageous prices for hunting leases.
I haven't hunted in 4 years, and just won't justify the prices that people want for a lease. It's cheaper to go to the local sale barn and buy a steer/cow, and have it butchered.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide