Page 1 of 2 1 2
Shackleford County #8426259 10/22/21 11:37 AM
D
DirtyHarry Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
What’s going on in this county lately? Texas Buck Registry on Instagram posts absolute monsters every day just about? Why is this such a random hot bed?

Re: Shackleford County [Re: DirtyHarry] #8426269 10/22/21 11:47 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
That county has always had really good genetics and with the larger ranches, has had great deer. Most never reported or entered those deer in any contest or on social media. I suspect they had really good and timely rainfall this spring into summer. With todays management practices it is understandable why they are killing some great deer.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Shackleford County [Re: DirtyHarry] #8426280 10/22/21 11:59 AM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Highly managed large ranches.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Shackleford County [Re: DirtyHarry] #8426295 10/22/21 12:13 PM
D
Dodge_Rock Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Far from random, large++ ranches, light hunting pressure, intensive range management, supplemental feed, bucks allowed to age, and infused So. Tx genetics. Some high fence places, but not needed in most of the county, especially west of Albany. Most ranches maintain a low profile & cater to a few friends and high profile clients. It would be interesting to discover where those nice bucks reported on TBR were killed.

Re: Shackleford County [Re: Dodge_Rock] #8426304 10/22/21 12:21 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Dodge_Rock
Far from random, large++ ranches, light hunting pressure, intensive range management, supplemental feed, bucks allowed to age, and infused So. Tx genetics. Some high fence places, but not needed in most of the county, especially west of Albany. Most ranches maintain a low profile & cater to a few friends and high profile clients. It would be interesting to discover where those nice bucks reported on TBR were killed.

Those ranches that are LF are all native genetics, not introduced and many do not feed either.

Re: Shackleford County [Re: stxranchman] #8426320 10/22/21 12:39 PM
D
Dodge_Rock Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by stxranchman

Those ranches that are LF are all native genetics, not introduced and many do not feed either.

Hey stxranchman, I think you'll enjoy this read. I've been fortunate to hunt on some of the large ranches and have definitely "fallen in love" with that country. Mostly rolling, mesquite covered hills, but there is some wildly rugged terrain, with deep draws as well. There is an incredible amount of wildlife on those enormous places.

https://www.texas-wildlife.org/files/publications/2008_west_texas_deer_study_group.pdf

Re: Shackleford County [Re: Dodge_Rock] #8426326 10/22/21 12:42 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Hey stxranchman, I think you'll enjoy this read. I've been fortunate to hunt on some of the large ranches and have definitely "fallen in love" with that country. Mostly rolling, mesquite covered hills, but there is some wildly rugged terrain, with deep draws as well. There is an incredible amount of wildlife on those enormous places.

https://www.texas-wildlife.org/files/publications/2008_west_texas_deer_study_group.pdf

I've hunted there also. Thanks for the read.

Re: Shackleford County [Re: DirtyHarry] #8426330 10/22/21 12:46 PM
H
huntingbig8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Nothing new for Shack, Several of the deer came from 1 ranch with a great history of producing trophy deer, this is a result of some feeding but letting deer reach maximum potential and age.

Re: Shackleford County [Re: DirtyHarry] #8426336 10/22/21 12:48 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I love that area

Re: Shackleford County [Re: Dodge_Rock] #8426423 10/22/21 01:43 PM
P
PigMoney Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P

My dad is Ricky Linex, and my Mentor my first two years with the NRCS was Steve Nelle. Both top notch experts in their fields and I was fortunate to accompany them on some youth hunts on the Nail. Awesome country!

“We don’t rent pigs!”- Hat Creek Cattle Company
Re: Shackleford County [Re: PigMoney] #8426433 10/22/21 01:53 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by PigMoney

My dad is Ricky Linex, and my Mentor my first two years with the NRCS was Steve Nelle. Both top notch experts in their fields and I was fortunate to accompany them on some youth hunts on the Nail. Awesome country!

Steve Nelle is an expert and a great guy. I really enjoyed field days or seminars he spoke at, the best ones were field days. Steve even took off a day from work to come down to visit me on a ranch back in the mid 90's. I was managing that ranch and he gave me advice on habitat work I was wanting to implement. I heard all of those gentlemen who are in that publication give talks before at field days or seminars.

Re: Shackleford County [Re: DirtyHarry] #8426456 10/22/21 02:14 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I dont think I disagree with anything said so far. Definitely been happening for a long time and its getting better it seems. Ive hunted that country and been on it for other reasons as well as leasing country the next county up. Some of the most fun country to hunt that I know of.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Shackleford County [Re: PigMoney] #8426457 10/22/21 02:15 PM
D
Dodge_Rock Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D

Your dad did a great job editing that publication. Awesome country, words & photos don't do it justice. You have to see it.

Re: Shackleford County [Re: stxranchman] #8426475 10/22/21 02:34 PM
P
PigMoney Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Steve is by far the greatest biologist NRCS has had. He is a walking encyclopedia of deer and plant knowledge. Very respectable man and I'm honored to know him. Him and dad are both doing private consulting in their retirements. NRCS is losing a wealth of knowledge with the old school employees retiring and leaving behind massive shoes to fill. I'm trying my best to keep it old school with a focus on management and plant ID but all the NRCS administration cares about now a days is spend that $$$.

“We don’t rent pigs!”- Hat Creek Cattle Company
Re: Shackleford County [Re: DirtyHarry] #8426562 10/22/21 03:49 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
The Big country had big rain this year. Shackleford has been cranking them out for 30-40 years.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Shackleford County [Re: PigMoney] #8426568 10/22/21 03:55 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Steve is by far the greatest biologist NRCS has had. He is a walking encyclopedia of deer and plant knowledge. Very respectable man and I'm honored to know him. Him and dad are both doing private consulting in their retirements. NRCS is losing a wealth of knowledge with the old school employees retiring and leaving behind massive shoes to fill. I'm trying my best to keep it old school with a focus on management and plant ID but all the NRCS administration cares about now a days is spend that $$$.

Jerry Turrentine was pretty good also, but I agree that Nelle was in a league of his own. He worked very closely with a friend who had a ranch in Tom Green County with his forage samples.

Re: Shackleford County [Re: PigMoney] #8426578 10/22/21 04:00 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

So, are you with NRCS?

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Shackleford County [Re: DirtyHarry] #8426586 10/22/21 04:05 PM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
They are having a great season out there already for sure.

Re: Shackleford County [Re: DirtyHarry] #8426642 10/22/21 04:56 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Hunted a couple places in the past that i could see where one that scored in the 190s was killed and where I was hunting shred property lines with the 1200 acres that one came off of. One of the guys got a typical 10 that scored in the upper 150s. That place is right on the southern county line not far from Moran. Some dang good deer out that way and lots of hogs.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Shackleford County [Re: DirtyHarry] #8426717 10/22/21 06:08 PM
M
mr. buck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Been hunting Shackelford for 20 years and protein feeding since 2007. We've killed lots of 150"+ deer but have yet to break 165". Our lease is only two sections, but Hubbard Creek runs right down the middle so its pretty thick. Hopefully we get one of these 190's to show up on our place someday. Btw, kmon1, if youre referring to the Moran Monster, we are really close.

Re: Shackleford County [Re: DirtyHarry] #8426726 10/22/21 06:19 PM
G
gettinbirdie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Shackleford has always had good genetics . This year is also an iconic year in Texas for deer!! We had a ton of rain over the summer, great browse conditions, In alot of areas-Its still green for crying outloud! Lol
I think youre going to see alot better deer this year than what a given area typically may produce. The downside to this(depending on conditions where you hunt)is that an area may have too much browse and the deer arent reponsive to the feeders! If this is the case- eventually with some cold weather, things will change later in the season.

Re: Shackleford County [Re: DirtyHarry] #8427126 10/23/21 02:06 AM
J
Jroutdoors Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Great area

Re: Shackleford County [Re: DirtyHarry] #8427792 10/23/21 09:57 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I looked at leases years ago in Shackleford and Throckmorton - at the time I thought it was the up and coming area in Texas - is Throckmorton as good as Shackleford?

You can't fix stupid
Re: Shackleford County [Re: tlk] #8427932 10/24/21 12:53 AM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by tlk
I looked at leases years ago in Shackleford and Throckmorton - at the time I thought it was the up and coming area in Texas - is Throckmorton as good as Shackleford?

Throckmorton has some good deer but smaller tracts of land. Shackleford has a lot of really big ranches that have been managed intensively for decades — much more like south Texas in that regard

In the 90s I hunted the Lambshead. We had 10k leased along the Brazos. It had some incredible deer.

Re: Shackleford County [Re: DirtyHarry] #8427965 10/24/21 01:22 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Quail hunting buddy of mine that leases 20K acres in Shack county sent my these pics tonight.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide