Print Thread
Best option to hunt hogs near subdivision #8422885 10/19/21 12:13 AM
G
Gloszz Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
Hey y'all, what is the best option to hunt hogs near a subdivision? It is outside of Katy and the hogs are tearing up my lawn, the neighbourhood and the new development. I was thinking of talking to the HOA or maybe the developer to see if I could shoot the four boars that have been running rampant since last year. The area trapper has been unable to catch them for about two years...

People have said to use a suppressed .22 with subsonic ammo but that sounds way too risky and a bit unethical due to a chance of wounding it and losing it...

I may just put a feeder on my porch, and shoot them in self defense with a 9mm for coming to mess with my scaredy-cat dachshund haha

Last edited by Gloszz; 10/19/21 12:40 AM.
Re: Best option to hunt hogs near subdivision [Re: Gloszz] #8423194 10/19/21 09:35 AM
N
notamtchance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
If traps don't work. The only thing that would be legal in the city limits is either a bow or a crossbow. A crossbow would most likely be more accurate consistently.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: Best option to hunt hogs near subdivision [Re: notamtchance] #8423307 10/19/21 12:37 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by notamtchance
If traps don't work. The only thing that would be legal in the city limits is either a bow or a crossbow. A crossbow would most likely be more accurate consistently.

Re: Best option to hunt hogs near subdivision [Re: Gloszz] #8423340 10/19/21 01:09 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Fulshear ordnance...

Sec. 24-80. - Prohibited.
It shall be unlawful to discharge any firearm or other deadly weapon, air rifle, pellet gun, BB gun, carbon dioxide (CO2) gun, bow, crossbow, or so called hunting slingshot so that the projectile therefrom originating from public property or that crosses any public property, or crosses any thoroughfare or property line within the city; except that any rifle, pellet gun, BB gun, carbon dioxide gun, bow, crossbow, or so called hunting slingshot may be discharged by any party upon his own property and upon the property of another only when acting in such other person's presence and with his permission.

Sec. 24-81. - Penalty.
Any person violating this article shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be subject to a fine as provided in section 1-17.

(Ord. No. 590, §§ 1,2, 12-20-1982; Ord. No. 90-781, §§ I, II, 5-21-1990)

https://library.municode.com/tx/ful...odeId=PTIICOOR_CH24MIOF_ARTIVWE_S24-80PR

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Best option to hunt hogs near subdivision [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8423366 10/19/21 01:28 PM
N
notamtchance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Fulshear ordnance...

It shall be unlawful to discharge any firearm or other deadly weapon, air rifle, pellet gun, BB gun, carbon dioxide (CO2) gun, bow, crossbow, or so called hunting slingshot so that the projectile therefrom originating from public property or that crosses any public property, or crosses any thoroughfare or property line within the city; except that any rifle, pellet gun, BB gun, carbon dioxide gun, bow, crossbow, or so called hunting slingshot may be discharged by any party upon his own property and upon the property of another only when acting in such other person's presence and with his permission.

Sec. 24-81. - Penalty.
Any person violating this article shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be subject to a fine as provided in section 1-17.

I don't know if this applies to your town or not, but if so you can still shot them with a bow or crossbow provided that you are shooting them in your yard and at a downward angle so that the arrow/bolt does not cross properly lines without neighbors consent.

Re: Best option to hunt hogs near subdivision [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8423385 10/19/21 01:46 PM
G
Gloszz Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
Fulshear ordnance...

Sec. 24-81. - Penalty.

Which is fine and all but I live within Fulshear city limits; which makes no sense but right behind my house it's no longer Fulshear which looks more like a city property.

The property in question doesn't belong within the City of Fulshear limits so there's that. I also have a Fort Bend officer that lives right across the street from me. I'll ask him what he thinks in this situation, because he would technically be enforcing it, no?

Re: Best option to hunt hogs near subdivision [Re: notamtchance] #8423388 10/19/21 01:48 PM
G
Gloszz Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
Originally Posted by notamtchance

That's what I was thinking but people are constantly trespassing on this property to do their cardio and walks and jogs. I will just leave it honestly. They post about the hogs on a daily basis but claim they were here first and we are simply moving into their territory. Same with the coyotes that attacked small dogs and cats. " Part of living in the country".

I wasn't aware that places like Polo Ranch, VanBrooke and Cross Creek Ranch are out in the country 😂

Re: Best option to hunt hogs near subdivision [Re: Gloszz] #8423424 10/19/21 02:17 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Gloszz
Fulshear ordnance...

Sec. 24-81. - Penalty.

Which is fine and all but I live within Fulshear city limits; which makes no sense but right behind my house it's no longer Fulshear which looks more like a city property.

The property in question doesn't belong within the City of Fulshear limits so there's that. I also have a Fort Bend officer that lives right across the street from me. I'll ask him what he thinks in this situation, because he would technically be enforcing it, no?

So you want to hunt property that isn't your own? You definitely need to determine who owns it and whether or not it is legal to hunt there. Chances are, it is NOT public, so you would need landowner permission to hunt it. About 95% of the land in Texas is privately owned. Even if it is public land, it may not be huntable. The other 5% that is public land and that includes municipality owned land, county owned land, state owned land, and federally owned land. Unless the land is identified as a WMA, state park, federal park, national forest, etc., you are best off to assume that it is privately owned land. It is illegal to hunt on somebody else's private property without their (or their agent's) permission in Texas.

No, technically the Fort Bend officer may not be enforcing it. Hunting laws are generally enforced by a game warden. Going after hogs would fall under game laws. That isn't to say you may not be cited for breaking other laws by the Fort Bend officer. The Fort Bend officer can enforce game laws, but generally would just pass you over to the game warden. I think you will find that while all Texas law enforcement officers are certified under the same authority, they tend to know those laws most relevant to what they do and lots of city and county cops don't deal with game laws.

Otherwise, if in the county on land you have permission to hunt, hunting near a subdivision means following all the appropriate hunting laws and rules for weapon safety.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 10/19/21 02:38 PM.

Re: Best option to hunt hogs near subdivision [Re: Gloszz] #8423426 10/19/21 02:17 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
They post about the hogs on a daily basis but claim they were here first and we are simply moving into their territory. Same with the coyotes that attacked small dogs and cats. " Part of living in the country".

Are you sure you don't live in Flower Mound? Dumbazzes post on the neighborhood/FB page how they want to "rehome" Coyote's, Copperheads and so on, since they were here first. Soon followed by a post of my cat or little dog has disappeared...

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Best option to hunt hogs near subdivision [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8423433 10/19/21 02:22 PM
G
Gloszz Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
Fulshear ordnance...

Sec. 24-81. - Penalty.

So you want to hunt property that isn't your own? You definitely need to determine who owns it and whether or not it is legal to hunt there. Chances are, it is NOT public, so you would need landowner permission to hunt it. About 95% of the land in Texas is privately owned. Even if it is public land, it may not be huntable. The other 5% that is public land and that includes municipality owned land, county owned land, state owned land, and federally owned land. Unless the land is identified as a WMA, state park, federal park, national forest, etc., you are best off to assume that it is privately owned land. It is illegal to hunt on somebody else's property without their permission in Texas.

No, technically the Fort Bend officer may not be enforcing it. Hunting laws are generally enforced by a game warden. Going after hogs would fall under game laws. That isn't to say you may not be cited for breaking other laws by the Fort Bend officer. The Fort Bend officer can enforce game laws, but generally would just pass you over to the game warden. I think you will find that while all Texas law enforcement officers are certified under the same authority, they tend to know those laws most relevant to what they do and lots of city and county cops don't deal with game laws.

With all due respect I had said it was developers land. Fulshear Land Company. They used to run cows on it to get an AG exemption. They moved them and started putting in roads and utilities.

I'm new here so I don't know if you're really helpful, or trying to make me look like an idiot and throwing all this info at me haha.

Either way, I appreciate it.

Re: Best option to hunt hogs near subdivision [Re: CharlieCTx] #8423438 10/19/21 02:26 PM
G
Gloszz Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
They post about the hogs on a daily basis but claim they were here first and we are simply moving into their territory. Same with the coyotes that attacked small dogs and cats. " Part of living in the country".

Are you sure you don't live in Flower Mound? Dumbazzes post on the neighborhood/FB page how they want to "rehome" Coyote's, Copperheads and so on, since they were here first. Soon followed by a post of my cat or little dog has disappeared...

Charlie

When I lived in Weston Lakes life was simpler. People somehow understood that coyotes, snakes, hogs and deer were a part of nature but had to be controlled in one way or another.

I moved out of there and now I see posts if people trying to re-home someone's dog because it's on their driveway looking into the vast unknown. The dogs not lost haha. It's just trained well and knows it can't cross the property line without it's owner.

Re: Best option to hunt hogs near subdivision [Re: Gloszz] #8423455 10/19/21 02:47 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

With all due respect I had said it was developers land. Fulshear Land Company. They used to run cows on it to get an AG exemption. They moved them and started putting in roads and utilities.

I'm new here so I don't know if you're really helpful, or trying to make me look like an idiot and throwing all this info at me haha.

Actually, with all due respect, you didn't say it was the developer's land. You said, "I was thinking of talking to the HOA or maybe the developer to see if I could shoot the four boars that have been running rampant since last year."

Even then, the land may not all belong to the developer if lots have been sold already to future homeowners.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 10/19/21 03:30 PM.

Re: Best option to hunt hogs near subdivision [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8423551 10/19/21 04:26 PM
G
Gloszz Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G

Actually, with all due respect, you didn't say it was the developer's land. You said, "I was thinking of talking to the HOA or maybe the developer to see if I could shoot the four boars that have been running rampant since last year."

Even then, the land may not all belong to the developer if lots have been sold already to future homeowners.

Honestly you're right. I didn't even think of that.

Now how does the self defense aspect look like? When I asked this question on Facebook, two prosecutors, a lawyer, two game wardens and a judge all said that if I was walking with my little cousin and hogs charged me, put us in danger then even if it was within city limits like Houston or Dallas, they wouldn't even pursue the charges. This actually happened as well but I'm assuming the hogs did a fake charge kind of how bears do? Not sure, I don't know enough about hogs.

Re: Best option to hunt hogs near subdivision [Re: Gloszz] #8423717 10/19/21 07:44 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Hogs virtually never attack people unprovoked. It can happen, but generally speaking hogs run away. If a hog is going to actually attack you, you aren't going to outrun it and it will to you.

Most people injured by hogs are injured while in the process of trying to do something to the hogs, usually going hands-on in some manner (hog dogging, knifing, tying, removing from traps, etc.) or otherwise hunting them. Outside of that, deer attacks are more common on humans than hog attacks.

Like this guy, claimed to be 'attacked' by a wild boar in Florida. No doubt the boar did injuries to him, but the boar was defending himself from the trapper. Apparently, the boar was starting to escape the trap, so the trapper KICKED the boar in the head and when he did that, the boar grabbed by the leg and damaged him. Go figure.
https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/trapper-attacked-by-wild-boar-suffers-deep-cuts-to-legs-arm

Yes, there was an older lady in Anahuac who did from hog trauma. However, no determination was made as to how it came about that the hogs fed her, whether she went down first and suffered head trauma and was later live scavenged or if she suffered head trauma after being brought down by hogs. There were no witnesses to the event and nobody heard screams. They simply found on on the ground between her vehicle and the front door where she was reporting for work. Hogs certainly could have brought her down. She wasn't a big woman at all. Maybe she got between a sow and piglets. Tracks evidence indicated small and large hogs present.

There was the other lady outside of Georgetown(?) 'attacked' by a boar. Come to find out, her dog had gone after the boar and when the tables were turned on the dog, the dog ran back to mama and mama got cut by the boar a couple of times before it ran off.

From the good folks at TAMU...
Ample documentation exists of wild pig-human encounters. However, the likelihood of a human being impacted by a hog/vehicle collision or disease risk—while still low is greater than an actual physical attack by a wild pig. Where the rare wild pig attack occurs, it is usually during a hunting scenario where dogs are used to bay or corner a pig in a spot and the pig “runs through” the associated hunters standing nearby. Occasionally, humans inadvertently walk between a sow and her litter and the sow reacts to protect her young. Totally unprovoked attacks outside of these two scenarios are rare. Given a choice, wild pigs usually flee rather than fight. However, U.S. newspapers report from 5 to 7 human fatalities each year.

https://feralhogs.tamu.edu/frequently-asked-questions/frequently-asked-questions-wild-pigs/

I am not sure what they are getting at with 5-7 fatalities per year from hogs unless they are including vehicular strikes on hogs causing accidents. Otherwise, there are only 4 or 5 documented cases of hogs killing people in the US and at least 3 of those are from hunting situations...
https://wildlife-damage-management.extension.org/feral-hog-attacks-on-humans/

Of course if you include vehicular accidents, deer kill a bunch of people each year and are considered the most dangerous wildife in North America (which is rather silly, when you think about it). https://reason.com/2001/11/21/north-americas-most-dangerous/#:~:text=The%20most%20dangerous%20mammal%20in%20North%20America%20is%E2%80%A6Bambi.,year,%20causing%20211%20human%20deaths%20in%20car%20wrecks.

Re: Best option to hunt hogs near subdivision [Re: Gloszz] #8423821 10/19/21 09:57 PM
N
notamtchance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
To be totally honest with you. Since you live in a subdivision with roads and lots of other people's property around you with families coming and going. Your best course of action is to just let the hired trapper do his thing. It is way to easy to inadvertently break game laws or city laws in your situation. Much less, even worse wound a hog and while it is running off have some person or kid being in the wrong place at the wrong time and be injured by a wound animal. In which you must likely would be liable for. When in the act of doing anything that can be dangerous always air on the side of an over abundance of caution. Just MHO.

Re: Best option to hunt hogs near subdivision [Re: Gloszz] #8424127 10/20/21 02:57 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Well if you get past the legalities you might want to check out a .457 cal Airforce Texan SS. It's quite enough and it's range is just a few hundred yards. Best of all it will kill them just as dead as any 300 Win Mag out there!

Last edited by HornSlayer; 10/20/21 03:08 AM.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Best option to hunt hogs near subdivision [Re: Gloszz] #8424134 10/20/21 03:00 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
First off there is no such thing as unethical when it comes to killing hogs

Secondly shooting them is prob not an option

Third get a better trapper

Re: Best option to hunt hogs near subdivision [Re: Gloszz] #8427766 10/23/21 09:19 PM
D
Douglas Tipton Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
It can be frustrating OP. A while back I posted a video where I was coming back from a hog hunt and there was a sounder at the edge of a ritzy neighborhood (where I know some people) that was getting a lot of damage. I had everything to do the job but I clearly I would have been committing a number of transgressions, including possibly firing wildly (like a Yemeni wedding celebration) into the woods at strange sounds. Living at the boundary of city and country will bring these encounters. Best advice is to learn the laws and meet the neighbors - far more worthwhile without tempting the law. Who knows, something may come of it. Or you can do like I did and practice your stalking skills and test your nerves to see how close you can get to slapping one on the a$$. Remember - pictures or it didn't happen. up

Re: Best option to hunt hogs near subdivision [Re: Gloszz] #8438388 11/03/21 11:39 PM
glocker17 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
22 Subsonic, can, and keep quiet.

Re: Best option to hunt hogs near subdivision [Re: Gloszz] #8440509 11/06/21 10:52 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
An electric fence about 6" off the ground will keep them off your property.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide