texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Massbigbore44, Buffalo1, CW MILES, astrom, rholl
69117 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 109,091
bill oxner 89,128
SnakeWrangler 60,964
stxranchman 58,949
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Gravytrain 44,209
BMD 41,232
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics613,898
Posts11,477,676
Members84,117
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Feeder on the fence line #8422687 10/18/21 08:55 PM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,515
6
603Country Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
6
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,515
The neighbor is really ticked off. Folks leasing the property adjoining his have put a feeder on the fence line and a box blind in the field. A shot from the box blind toward the feeder is in line with his bedroom window, 200 yards distant. And, of course, it would be a shot across the fence with no Ok to do so. I suggested he call the game warden, and he did, and had a quick response. The GW came out, had a look, consulted his satellite view and agreed that the feeder and blind placement were a matter of serious concern, but he said that “as yet, there has been no crime”. He did call the land owner, who sent him to the lease guy, and discussions will happen. I sure hope this can get quietly settled.

What I don’t understand is how somebody would be clueless enough to put a blind and feeder in a position like that, knowing a fired bullet would cross that fence. But, I’ve read of situations like that on the forum, so it isn’t uncommon.

The part about there having been no crime, per the GW, seems to ignore the fact that there will most certainly BE a crime the first time the lease guy sends a bullet. What ever happened to crime prevention, though that may be the part where folks talk about the problem.

At least nobody is yelling yet…


Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: 603Country] #8422699 10/18/21 09:05 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,930
B
BayouGuy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,930
Sounds to me as though the game warden did exactly what he should have done. He didn't say there was no crime yet, and then ignore the problem. He followed up as he should have.


If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.
Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: 603Country] #8422708 10/18/21 09:17 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,854
C
ChrisB Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,854
We have a new neighbor that put a feeder on our fence line. We used that opportunity to hang a stand 51 yards from the feeder. With the price of corn we figured we will let him feed the deer. His blind is also on the fence line so he's just shooting down the fence. Rude behavior but he's not breaking any laws.

Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: BayouGuy] #8422709 10/18/21 09:21 PM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,055
F
flintknapper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,055
Originally Posted by BayouGuy
Sounds to me as though the game warden did exactly what he should have done. He didn't say there was no crime yet, and then ignore the problem. He followed up as he should have.


Agreed.

Poor placement of the stand and feeder is a 'potential' hazard but NOT a 'crime'.

A bullet entering another's property IS a crime, but not until it actually happens.

So the prudent thing to do is to talk with the people who set up the stand/feeder and point out the potential for a mishap.

Surely, they will change the arrangement. Game Warden acted correctly and swiftly. up

Last edited by flintknapper; 10/18/21 09:22 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: 603Country] #8422710 10/18/21 09:21 PM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 13,674
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
Q
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 13,674
Sounds like the warden did his job. We'll see if it gets moved or not.


[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: 603Country] #8422711 10/18/21 09:21 PM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 19,385
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 19,385
Could be just a novice that hasn't even thought about what happens. 'Hope it gets changed and resolved.

Now me, this is why I always have an extra feeder and blind sitting around. I'd put the feeder directly on the other side of the fence from the 1st feeder and an old blind in line with all the other stuff. Hang a gimme cap on a 3 liter soda bottle from the ceiling. You have to mess with neighbors like that.


...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: 603Country] #8422715 10/18/21 09:25 PM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,505
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,505
I never understood putting stands and feeders on fence lines. I've always wanted to be out of sight, out of mind. The less the neighbors know the better. I only have one feeder close to a fence line and it's 250 yards away and can't be seen by neighbor. Many years ago I did have a problem with 2 neighboring ranch's that hunted fence lines, cost me 3.8 miles of 8' game fence.


www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: Stompy] #8422736 10/18/21 09:48 PM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 19,385
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 19,385
Originally Posted by Stompy
I never understood putting stands and feeders on fence lines. I've always wanted to be out of sight, out of mind. The less the neighbors know the better. I only have one feeder close to a fence line and it's 250 yards away and can't be seen by neighbor. Many years ago I did have a problem with 2 neighboring ranch's that hunted fence lines, cost me 3.8 miles of 8' game fence.


up 'Nothing like a fence going up that the neighbors can't do a dam thing about. It applies to suburbia too. I had an incident at my home with neighbors trespassing, soon after I joined this forum. Some of the self-imagined "landed gentry", and their minions on here thought I was being mean. Fence went up. She even likes me now. 'Dummer'n a box a rocks, but...it's nice to be liked by a young lady neighbor, no matter the IQ. bolt


...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: Stompy] #8422794 10/18/21 10:50 PM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 13,192
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 13,192
Originally Posted by Stompy
I never understood putting stands and feeders on fence lines. I've always wanted to be out of sight, out of mind. The less the neighbors know the better. I only have one feeder close to a fence line and it's 250 yards away and can't be seen by neighbor. Many years ago I did have a problem with 2 neighboring ranch's that hunted fence lines, cost me 3.8 miles of 8' game fence.


Exact same thing for me

Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: 603Country] #8422821 10/18/21 11:07 PM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,515
6
603Country Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
6
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,515
What I failed to mention earlier is that the lease that’s across the neighbor’s fence has no shrubs, no trees, no nothing. Just bare ground. The neighbor has trees and undergrowth, which is where the pigs and deer are. So, the lease folks, in effect, are hunting the neighbor’s land and undergrowth, and as close as they can get.

That idea about putting a feeder and blind on THIS side of the fence was great. If discussions with the lease folks don’t result in something acceptable, I’ll mention that blind and feeder approach.


Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: 603Country] #8422824 10/18/21 11:10 PM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 19,385
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 19,385
Fight fire with fire.


...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: 603Country] #8422870 10/18/21 11:59 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 7,922
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 7,922
Every pig I shoot would be dragged to a certain place. I would shoot as many pigs as I could.

On mornings when I am not hunting, I would make certain to drive by, look at the pig carcasses and if anyone happened to be nearby, I would be an extrovert, friendly, stop and always say HOWDY!

I could go on and on. People make this to be too big of an issue. The key is to make the proximity and access a problem for whomever the idgit was that put the blind up on the fence line. There are easy ways to take care of this.

Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: 603Country] #8422924 10/19/21 12:41 AM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,118
F
freerange Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
F
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,118
What Would Max Do?


Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: 603Country] #8423149 10/19/21 03:02 AM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,897
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,897
Innocent until proven guilty. How do we know the person isnt a wildlife photographer and wont be shooting a gun.

GW handled the situation well. Hopefully this situation gets resolved before anything guilty takes place.

Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: 603Country] #8423187 10/19/21 05:20 AM
Joined: Aug 2021
Posts: 11
8
8skate Offline
Light Foot
Offline
Light Foot
8
Joined: Aug 2021
Posts: 11
So far every thing has been handled the way it should be.
Please let us know if they move the set up.

Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: Hudbone] #8423191 10/19/21 08:16 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,875
N
notamtchance Online Happy
Veteran Tracker
Online Happy
Veteran Tracker
N
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,875
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Every pig I shoot would be dragged to a certain place. I would shoot as many pigs as I could.

On mornings when I am not hunting, I would make certain to drive by, look at the pig carcasses and if anyone happened to be nearby, I would be an extrovert, friendly, stop and always say HOWDY!

I could go on and on. People make this to be too big of an issue. The key is to make the proximity and access a problem for whomever the idgit was that put the blind up on the fence line. There are easy ways to take care of this.


The problem that you could create for yourself by doing these things. Is doing something illegal yourself (like hunter harassment) and getting yourself into trouble. Just let the GW take care of it and save the possibility of creating a big headache for yourself.


If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: 603Country] #8423195 10/19/21 09:53 AM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 7,922
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 7,922
Perceptions about who might be doing the harassment are interesting. Any person who puts up a blind on a neighbor's fence line without first seeking agreement and permission from said neighbor is engaging in harassment and looking for trouble - that's plain & simple.

Pig carcasses and guts do not have to be placed near the offending blind set up while the other party is hunting. Fence lines do need to be checked. Someone else hunting so close to a fence line SHOULD NOT mean you need to change the manner in which you utilize the property you own.

Had this happen on the north fence line of a property I leased. They put the blind and a feeder parallel to the property boundary at slightly under 60 yards. I drove the two miles to their camp and we had us a little discussion. I got to hear about all the problems they had in setting up stands so no one on their lease was inconvenienced, short changed and/or whatever. Tempers flared, I was shown a 45 and we all came to agreement the feeder would be moved. All I requested was for the feeder to be moved where it was perpendicular away from the fence line. The other hunter decided to remove that stand, making at all a moot point.

Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: 603Country] #8423360 10/19/21 01:23 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,541
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,541
Originally Posted by 603Country
What I failed to mention earlier is that the lease that’s across the neighbor’s fence has no shrubs, no trees, no nothing. Just bare ground. The neighbor has trees and undergrowth, which is where the pigs and deer are. So, the lease folks, in effect, are hunting the neighbor’s land and undergrowth, and as close as they can get.

That idea about putting a feeder and blind on THIS side of the fence was great. If discussions with the lease folks don’t result in something acceptable, I’ll mention that blind and feeder approach.


Yes, if there is deer holding habitat on BOTH sides of the fence, then I see no foul. However, hunting near a fence puts the hunter at risk of having a deer run onto their neighbor's property where it immediately becomes their neighbor's deer once it expires. That's very likely to happen when they have no cover on their side of the fence. And when it does, their neighbor has no legal obligation to give the deer to them, or to allow them onto their property to retrieve it.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/19/21 01:25 PM.

Dan

Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: 603Country] #8423374 10/19/21 01:38 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 7,922
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 7,922
Crossing a property boundary with a weapon can add to the seriousness of a trespassing charge. If this stand is allowed to stay in place, I would post cameras on each side of the blind. Somewhat of a trust, but verify issue.

Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: Texas Dan] #8423375 10/19/21 01:39 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,875
N
notamtchance Online Happy
Veteran Tracker
Online Happy
Veteran Tracker
N
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,875
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by 603Country
What I failed to mention earlier is that the lease that’s across the neighbor’s fence has no shrubs, no trees, no nothing. Just bare ground. The neighbor has trees and undergrowth, which is where the pigs and deer are. So, the lease folks, in effect, are hunting the neighbor’s land and undergrowth, and as close as they can get.

That idea about putting a feeder and blind on THIS side of the fence was great. If discussions with the lease folks don’t result in something acceptable, I’ll mention that blind and feeder approach.


Yes, if there is deer holding habitat on BOTH sides of the fence, then I see no foul. However, hunting near a fence puts the hunter at risk of having a deer run onto their neighbor's property where it immediately becomes their neighbor's deer once it expires. That's very likely to happen when they have no cover on their side of the fence. And when it does, their neighbor has no legal obligation to give the deer to them, or to allow them onto their property to retrieve it.



This is true, but with that being said. Who tags the deer, and would you want to us all your tags on someone else's deers? Just wondering on that one.


If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: notamtchance] #8423395 10/19/21 01:55 PM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 2,163
W
Wytex Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
W
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 2,163
Originally Posted by notamtchance
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by 603Country
What I failed to mention earlier is that the lease that’s across the neighbor’s fence has no shrubs, no trees, no nothing. Just bare ground. The neighbor has trees and undergrowth, which is where the pigs and deer are. So, the lease folks, in effect, are hunting the neighbor’s land and undergrowth, and as close as they can get.

That idea about putting a feeder and blind on THIS side of the fence was great. If discussions with the lease folks don’t result in something acceptable, I’ll mention that blind and feeder approach.


Yes, if there is deer holding habitat on BOTH sides of the fence, then I see no foul. However, hunting near a fence puts the hunter at risk of having a deer run onto their neighbor's property where it immediately becomes their neighbor's deer once it expires. That's very likely to happen when they have no cover on their side of the fence. And when it does, their neighbor has no legal obligation to give the deer to them, or to allow them onto their property to retrieve it.



This is true, but with that being said. Who tags the deer, and would you want to us all your tags on someone else's deers? Just wondering on that one.


They would likely let it lay and no one would tag unless it's a big buck.

Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: Hudbone] #8423400 10/19/21 01:57 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,875
N
notamtchance Online Happy
Veteran Tracker
Online Happy
Veteran Tracker
N
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,875
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Perceptions about who might be doing the harassment are interesting. Any person who puts up a blind on a neighbor's fence line without first seeking agreement and permission from said neighbor is engaging in harassment and looking for trouble - that's plain & simple.

Pig carcasses and guts do not have to be placed near the offending blind set up while the other party is hunting. Fence lines do need to be checked. Someone else hunting so close to a fence line SHOULD NOT mean you need to change the manner in which you utilize the property you own.

Had this happen on the north fence line of a property I leased. They put the blind and a feeder parallel to the property boundary at slightly under 60 yards. I drove the two miles to their camp and we had us a little discussion. I got to hear about all the problems they had in setting up stands so no one on their lease was inconvenienced, short changed and/or whatever. Tempers flared, I was shown a 45 and we all came to agreement the feeder would be moved. All I requested was for the feeder to be moved where it was perpendicular away from the fence line. The other hunter decided to remove that stand, making at all a moot point.


Listen am not saying that it's not wrong to put a feeder and blind up against a fence line or worse yet in a line that the shot will cross property lines. Cause it is wrong and not very smart. I'm just pointing out that you don't want to do something that could possibly land you in hot water. I do however think putting a spare blind on your fence line, in a line with their blind and feeder facing away from the feeder. Would get them to thinking about if it is a good idea to pull the trigger or not. Also if he does shot his gun and it crosses your fence line. It most likely will hit your blind giving you proof that he shot across property line.


If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: 603Country] #8423437 10/19/21 02:25 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 8,141
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 8,141
Have him make a sign and hang it on the fence need the feeder. My ex-neighbor tried setting a feeder close to my fence once so I put signs on the fence where he could see them while looking at his feeder that read. "Read the complete Texas Parks and Wildlife Code - PARKS & WILD § 62.0121. Discharge of Firearm Across Property Line My kids play in this field and I don't believe in accidents." When I found the first hole in the sign GW took care of the problem.

Last edited by hook_n_line; 10/19/21 02:29 PM.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: hook_n_line] #8423826 10/19/21 10:05 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,875
N
notamtchance Online Happy
Veteran Tracker
Online Happy
Veteran Tracker
N
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,875
Originally Posted by hook_n_line
Have him make a sign and hang it on the fence need the feeder. My ex-neighbor tried setting a feeder close to my fence once so I put signs on the fence where he could see them while looking at his feeder that read. "Read the complete Texas Parks and Wildlife Code - PARKS & WILD § 62.0121. Discharge of Firearm Across Property Line My kids play in this field and I don't believe in accidents." When I found the first hole in the sign GW took care of the problem.


Now that siynd like a great idea. Any nucklehead willing to shot across fence lines . Most likely would shot that sign too and that would be all the proof you need. The GW would handle the rest.


If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: Feeder on the fence line [Re: 603Country] #8423830 10/19/21 10:08 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,864
4
4Weight Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
4
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,864
I would kill every pig I see and drag it to the fence line and let him smell the rot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2021 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3