Print Thread
Moldy Corn #8421526 10/17/21 09:16 PM
R
Ringer1 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
R
Any of y’all in North Texas encountering moldy corn in your feeders?

We’ll typically have one feeder or less per year. This year we’ve had six. When I’ve taken the kids in these feeders, there’s condensation on the feeder lids. The only thing we can think it could be is above average humidity and not throwing enough corn at each feeding.

Re: Moldy Corn [Re: Ringer1] #8421552 10/17/21 10:03 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
There are two schools of thought as to why this happens. One is the lids don't seal and let humidity and moisture in and thus need to be sealed up tight to prevent it. The other is they seal the barrel too well and don't let it breath, so causes condensation on the inside of the barrel during temperature changes. Some swear by the former, but my experience is the latter was my problem. I would have that problem from time to time when I was using the original metal lids with gaskets and clamped rings on my 55 gallon drum feeders. They sealed up air tight. And also on some 100lb plastic hanging feeders that had air tight plastic lids that clamped down on them. I would sometimes find condensation inside the lids and sides and that sometimes created a moldy mess if I was using a slow feed time. I replaced the lids on the 55gal with those pressed metal lids that are a little oversized and hang down well over the top so I assume it lets the corn breath. I don't fasten them down in any way other than dropping them down over the top. They are deep enough that they never get blown off. I even did this with the 100lb plastic hanging feeders by adapting deep dish pizza pans to replace the original plastic lids. Those feeders rarely if ever have condensation or mold problems now.

I am sure the problem can also be caused by buying corn that has been stored outside in the rain. If you see pallets of corn stored outside a Walmart, Tractor Supply, Gas Station, etc. It has likely been rained on and I doubt the shrink wrap they use on them is going to help. Might even make it worse. So though it looks dry in the store, it is probably still full of moisture from being stored outside previously. One might want to avoid buying corn from any place they see storing it that way. I am sure it is doomed to become moldy no matter what you do.

Re: Moldy Corn [Re: Ringer1] #8421561 10/17/21 10:14 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I had it happen last year. I bought some corn at the hardware store in Rotan. Feeder wasn’t throwing two weeks later. Cleaned it out and bought some more from the same place. This time I checked the corn and it was damp inside of the plastic bags.took it back and got my money back. Bought corn from the feed store and no more problems. I always check it now.

Re: Moldy Corn [Re: Ringer1] #8421569 10/17/21 10:29 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
I have had it happen more than once, like John I switched to the cap lids instead of standard barrel lids and bye-bye mold issue in those feeders. I have also bought corn that was damp which is a problem.

I got some corn this year that I do not think the moisture content was low enough when harvested, Sweeney feeder that bairly held 100lbs or not quite does still had 6 inches room in it with 2 50lb bags. Had one more bag from the same pallet for hand corning behind the house and weighted it and it is 50lbs but molded in the metal trash can I keep that stored in with the lid on it.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Moldy Corn [Re: Ringer1] #8423446 10/19/21 02:33 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I’ve had the issue in the past, but it was always metal drum lids with pinhole leaks. I’d clean the feeder drum insides and then wash it out with diesel. Then get a new metal drum lid. I don’t think it ever happened twice in the same drum.

Recently I bought bags of really moldy corn - moldy in the bags. Took it back, and the store guy said they’d had a lot of problems with that this year. I went back to my regular feed store and their corn is always clean and dry.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Moldy Corn [Re: Ringer1] #8423930 10/20/21 12:29 AM
O
Old Rabbit Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
We had a problem with molded corn when we used the clamp on lids, due to our constant high humidity. We went with the yellow drum protector lids like in the picture below. We have not had any problems since.
[Linked Image]

Re: Moldy Corn [Re: Ringer1] #8481534 12/20/21 04:12 PM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
No but each of our 11 feeders throw about 50lbs per week so we go through it pretty quickly. Also the majority of our feeders are stand and fill so the lids aren't clamped on.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Moldy Corn [Re: Ringer1] #8481593 12/20/21 05:03 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Moldy corn is a product of tightly sealed feeders that are not vented. All corn is harvested and stored with a % of moisture content. If the feeder clogs or you are not feeding much corn the corn will start to sweat and condensation forms under the lid. It then rains down on the corn and repeats daily. Mold forms from this. High humidity, low humidity, drastic swings in temperatures effect it also when feeders are only feeding a couple of seconds per day. What also effects it greatly is dark colored feeders that get hotter. Plastic drum feeders are the worst IME about moldy corn.
Take a 1 quart sandwich bag and fill it with corn. Seal it and put it out in the sun then check it later in the day and next day. See what happens to the corn. That is what is happening in a tightly sealed feeder.
Corn stored outside at stores will usually be in various types of bags. Mumme's has used a special bag(they tested many to find the correct one) that will allow moisture to vent thru the bag but not allow moisture from rain to get inside the bag when stored outside. Nothing is perfect but the bag they use is close. They have been using this bag now for the 25 or so yrs.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide