Print Thread
Shooting decoys #8420299 10/16/21 08:38 PM
S
spacejunkie Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
One of the other posts mentioned this happening. Any interesting stories? I’ll start with one.

Years ago a group of us had a lease east of Stuttgart where we could hunt scatters or blinds on rice fields. Our policy was if you shot a decoy you had to buy dinner for all in your group that night. Well we had one member that loved Chinese food and his wife hated it so he would on purpose shoot at least one decoy a season and then take his bunch to a Chinese buffet. He truthfully told her of our policy but never told her that he did it on purpose and why.

Re: Shooting decoys [Re: spacejunkie] #8420391 10/16/21 10:36 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
I'll contribute.
A long time hunting partner coworker and I had another coworker that wanted to try duck hunting. He was as green as they come to hunting. Not sure what he was thinking as my hunting partner and I had a long history of practical jokes at work. I had a hot spot on a DFW lake with no hunting pressure that I was taking a limit of Teal on every hunt so saw it as a good opportunity to invite our friend. In advance my old hunting partner and I made up our own hunting language to use in front of our guest. We made up nicknames for ducks to use. For example we called Wood Ducks Corgies. If one of us said out loud, "HIT ME ICE MAN", the other one of us would start wildly shooting into the air at an imaginary Duck. Shooting a volley of shells and missing a duck we called "Plantin Spenders". And so on. So there was much more, but to cut to the chase of the topic. After many confusing moments we presented our guest, we had a Teal fly in real low and land in the decoys. Our guest immediately water swat it. My hunting partner and I commenced to wearing our guest out about how unsportsmanlike it was to shoot a swimming duck and what a terrible person he was for doing it. As well I pretended to be upset that he shot my decoys. In a smart aleck tone he said he did not shoot my decoys and made sure he was shooting between them. I told him I could see pellets raking all through them. I then looked out and sure enough to my surprise one of them was sinking tipped over going down like the Titanic. I pointed and yelled "SEE!". As he was apologizing, another duck came in low and crashed into the same spot as the first one. I of course immediately water swat that sucker, decoys and all. I thought our guest was going to shoot me at that moment.

Re: Shooting decoys [Re: spacejunkie] #8425436 10/21/21 03:23 PM
WingShooter2772 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
During college I took my now father in-law on a duck hunt in Lubbock while he was in town. Well we had a few land in the decoys while the others were circling and when I called the shot to take the ones locked up I looked over just in time to see him smoke three of my pintail decoys. They immediately took on water and sank. So when Christmas came around that year I boxed one of them up and gave it to him and to my surprise he had got me a brand new set of pintail decoys for Christmas. If felt like an @ss for a second....but just a second.

Re: Shooting decoys [Re: WingShooter2772] #8425855 10/21/21 10:31 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
No good stories, other than I got a pig pile of nice G&H decoys that I need to patch up, pile gets bigger every year, I keep buying new ones. I need to patch up the ones I got.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide