Forums46
Topics537,816
Posts9,729,467
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: Texas Dan] #8417635 10/14/21 01:01 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
If Texas outlawed feeders today, there wouldn't be a change at all!
There would still be people lined up to lease the properties with no concern if the price increased.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: Jimbo] #8418658 10/15/21 12:01 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Jimbo
There would still be people lined up to lease the properties with no concern if the price increased.

Here's the link to an interesting study on baiting that was done back in 2010 in Pennsylvania. What I found most interesting is that based on a comparison of success rates, it indicates baiting doesn't offer as much as an advantage as some might think. It might be as hard to convince folks like me who believe it does, as it would to convince those who spend a small fortune every year keeping their feeders going.

Link

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/15/21 12:25 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: Texas Dan] #8418672 10/15/21 12:26 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Here's the link to an interesting study on baiting that was done back in 2010 in Pennsylvania. What I found most interesting is that based on a comparison of success rates, it indicates baiting doesn't offer as much as an advantage as some might think. It might be as hard to convince folks like me who believe it does, as it would to convince those who spend a small fortune every year keeping their feeders going.

Link

So if this is true, then that means baiting is ineffective and that eliminating feeders would not soften leases prices because success rates are close to the same.

So you proved your own theory wrong homeboy

I also don’t believe that to be true, baiting is certainly more effective than not baiting, that’s why it’s outlawed in many places

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: txtrophy85] #8418674 10/15/21 12:35 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Link

So if this is true, then that means baiting is ineffective and that eliminating feeders would not soften leases prices because success rates are close to the same.

So you proved your own theory wrong homeboy.

I also don’t believe that to be true, baiting is certainly more effective than not baiting, that’s why it’s outlawed in many places

IMO, it's the perception that hunters have towards baiting that matters most. For example, some may view feeders as necessary to keep deer off neighboring properties, while others feel they're necessary to see more deer. Would they spend as much on a lease if they lost what they believe are necessary advantages? No doubt die-hards like me would continue to pay as much as they can afford to hunt. Not sure about those who believe feeding is such a must.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/15/21 12:40 AM.

Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: 10 Gauge] #8418675 10/15/21 12:35 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
Originally Posted by stxranchman
It is to bad that deer can not live unless they are eating under or from a feeder. Stupid deer will forget how to eat once they are trained to eating from a feeder. dunce

No one said they were trained to eat from the feeders. They will most certainly forage for natural food. But in some regions the biomass has grown so large on the feeders, that there is not enough natural food to sustain it. Many would starve without feeders because there isn’t enough natural forage. Obviously not East Texas but in some other areas, you probably do know what I’m talking about.

It was sarcasm.....

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: Texas Dan] #8418678 10/15/21 12:42 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Link

I guess the deer on my place are not educated yet enough yet to read that research study...stupid deer is what I have....oh well..... I am standing in teh feed pen between the protein feeder and corn feeder...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: Texas Dan] #8418684 10/15/21 12:48 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Keep in mind, my biggest Texas buck was taken on no cost, public land. I've been hunting private leases all my adult life and know how hunters feel about how they can hunt them. For that reason, it would be hard to convince me that just as many Texas hunters would pay what they're paying now for private lease, knowing they would have to follow public land rules.

But then, who knows, maybe there are enough diehards like me to sustain the current demand even with those changes.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/15/21 12:54 AM.

Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: stxranchman] #8418691 10/15/21 12:57 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T

Link

I guess the deer on my place are not educated yet enough yet to read that research study...stupid deer is what I have....oh well..... I am standing in teh feed pen between the protein feeder and corn feeder...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That in itself might be good fodder for another debate. Do feeders really offer a strong advantage with studies have found that's not the case.

Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: Texas Dan] #8418694 10/15/21 01:04 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Keep in mind, my biggest Texas buck was taken on no cost, public land. I've been hunting private leases all my adult life and know how hunters feel about how they can hunt them. For that reason, it would be hard to convince me that just as many Texas hunters would pay what they're paying now for private lease, knowing they would have to follow public land rules.

But then, who knows, maybe there are enough diehards like me to sustain the current demand even with those changes.

Until these Texas deer learn how to read research papers, we are stuck with stupid deer here. None of them ever drink water, eat from a small grain food plot, corn field, milo field, alfalfa field, wild clover patch, under a mast tree, respond to a grunt call or rattling horns, etc. Heaven forbid they outlaw the rut..... Yep, hunters in Texas would be screwed. What a dunce

Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: Texas Dan] #8418758 10/15/21 01:45 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I don’t feel like I’m hunting when I sit in a box blind watching a feeder. But my son does, and that makes it fun.

Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: scalebuster] #8418768 10/15/21 01:49 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by scalebuster
I don’t feel like I’m hunting when I sit in a box blind watching a feeder. But my son does, and that makes it fun.

No one is saying you have to limit yourself.

Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: Texas Dan] #8418789 10/15/21 02:02 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

public land rules is more than just no baiting.

Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: Hudbone] #8418821 10/15/21 02:26 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Originally Posted by scalebuster

No one is saying you have to limit yourself.

I don’t. I’ll sit in a blind with my youngest son because he loves it. I never cared for blind hunting but sitting with my youngest is fun and he makes me understand why so many people find it interesting. He loves to watch deer and sit still and quiet. My oldest is like me and can’t stand a blind more than an hour.

Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: Texas Dan] #8419034 10/15/21 12:07 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Then point made earlier concerning the long season and relatively liberal bag limits is a good one and points to two additional forces that help drive lease prices. But here again, they also help drive hunter expectations.

Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: Texas Dan] #8419037 10/15/21 12:09 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Then point made earlier concerning the long season and relatively liberal bag limits is a good one and points to two additional forces that help drive lease prices. But here again, they also help drive hunter expectations.

dunce ALL hunter expectations are the same because we/they are hunters you dunce

Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: stxranchman] #8419057 10/15/21 12:33 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T

dunce ALL hunter expectations are the same because we/they are hunters you dunce

Differences in hunter expectations always start showing up a few weeks into the season when hunting pressure has pushed deer into survival mode. At least in East Texas, this is when you often hear hunters claim the deer have "disappeared".

Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: Texas Dan] #8419070 10/15/21 12:43 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Differences in hunter expectations always start showing up a few weeks into the season when hunting pressure has pushed deer into survival mode. At least in East Texas, this is when you often hear hunters claim the deer have "disappeared".

In East Texas the Deer disappear in the bed of someones truck...

Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8419167 10/15/21 02:06 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
It is to bad that deer can not live unless they are eating under or from a feeder. Stupid deer will forget how to eat once they are trained to eating from a feeder. dunce

No one said they were trained to eat from the feeders. They will most certainly forage for natural food. But in some regions the biomass has grown so large on the feeders, that there is not enough natural food to sustain it. Many would starve without feeders because there isn’t enough natural forage. Obviously not East Texas but in some other areas, you probably do know what I’m talking about.

This is absolutely false. The caloric intake from solely feeder corn is nothing in grand scheme, you cant feed corn to counter mother nature, and there isn't one county in Texas dependent on corn for deer survival. Deer eat 6-7lbs of food per deer per day. Add those numbers up on how much corn you would have to feed on a ranch with 1 deer per 5 acres...

The hill country is a perfect example. Highest deer densities simply have the lowest weight deer. That's their survival mechanism

It’s not just corn though. It is protein and other feed supplements, measured by the ton in some places. Does it not matter? Similar to a period of no hunting, would a period of ending supplemental feeding not have the same effect, or is this mitigated well enough by MLD?

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: Texas Dan] #8419176 10/15/21 02:11 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
The demand is up because more people want to kill Ch!t.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: 10 Gauge] #8419179 10/15/21 02:15 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

This is absolutely false. The caloric intake from solely feeder corn is nothing in grand scheme, you cant feed corn to counter mother nature, and there isn't one county in Texas dependent on corn for deer survival. Deer eat 6-7lbs of food per deer per day. Add those numbers up on how much corn you would have to feed on a ranch with 1 deer per 5 acres...

The hill country is a perfect example. Highest deer densities simply have the lowest weight deer. That's their survival mechanism

It’s not just corn though. It is protein and other feed supplements, measured by the ton in some places. Does it not matter? Similar to a period of no hunting, would a period of ending supplemental feeding not have the same effect, or is this mitigated well enough by MLD?

No, feed supplemental feed is a more recent management practice. Deer lived and did fine before it. Food plots are part of the supplemental feed. Habitat enhancement is part of a management plan...burns, roller chopping, aeration, thinning timber, etc. Farmed crops are also just planted for income and not deer, but deer use more of those crops than they do supplemental feed in some areas. People who do feed tend to manage for more deer, stop feeding and numbers will adjust on their own or hunters will adjust them. Same as years ago.

Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: txtrophy85] #8419190 10/15/21 02:25 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

In East Texas the Deer disappear in the bed of someones truck...

There is a sub culture in East Texas and many other places, that take “if it’s brown it’s down” to the extreme. Road hunting is regular, etc. In the Ozarks too, same deal but the mountains give better cover. I thought this was common knowledge?

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: 10 Gauge] #8419208 10/15/21 02:47 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Two ranches side by side in hill country. Both native genetics but one is HF and Feeds protein.

Both have same deer density 1 deer per 7.25 acres
One mature bucks average 180pound on hoof other 120 pounds on hoof. Again Same genetics

What's the difference? One ranch’s deer have a greater impact on native browse and it's deer are having to adapt to environmental conditions, other ranch deer have excess and are able to put excess nutrients into body health/growth.

Think of Antler expression size as a product of excess nutrition.

The hill country has one of the highest densities in TX, it's normally takes a pretty nasty drought for a die off.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: Texas Dan] #8419230 10/15/21 03:04 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Two ranches side by side in hill country. Both native genetics but one is HF and Feeds protein.

Both have same deer density 1 deer per 7.25 acres
One mature bucks average 180pound on hoof other 120 pounds on hoof. Again Same genetics

What's the difference? One ranch’s deer have a greater impact on native browse and it's deer are having to adapt to environmental conditions, other ranch deer have excess and are able to put excess nutrients into body health/growth.

Think of Antler expression size as a product of excess nutrition.

Age is a key factor in your equation...as much so as nutrition. Both age and nutrition are driving factors in lease prices. Lower cost leases can manufacture both over their time on the lease. It takes time to implement and then see the results. New leases that have it already are going to cost more due to the management in place at the time of the lease. Some have the time and like the challenge while others like the immediate gratification and pay for it up front.

Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: Texas Dan] #8419244 10/15/21 03:19 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
There are lots of places that are artificially inflating their carrying capacity by the use of supplemental feeding. To say it’s just a size issue alone in every situation is incorrect.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: The reasons behind the high demand for hunting leases in Texas [Re: Texas Dan] #8419248 10/15/21 03:23 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Lot of places were already over CC before they started supplemental feeding. They did not address the major issue before starting to feed. Heck most of the areas in Texas are over CC for their ever changing habitat.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide