Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Meniscus tear? [Re: NewGulf] #8416336 10/13/21 12:48 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Problem with stem cells is that it is expensive, and insurance won't cover it. At least that's the way it was in my case.

Re: Meniscus tear? [Re: Cinch] #8416371 10/13/21 01:15 PM
G
Gringo Bling Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Cinch
a lot say there will be big arthritis issues after the surgery.

I have actually read the exact opposite stating that if left untreated, the onset of osteoarthritis is more likely.

Re: Meniscus tear? [Re: Cinch] #8416416 10/13/21 01:51 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Cinch
Dealing with a torn meniscus now. Bought a fairly expensive brace doc recommended. About the time I think it’s better, I do something stupid and piss it off again. Read a lot about surgery and a lot say there will be big arthritis issues after the surgery. I’m putting off surgery as long as possible.

I’ve got one of those braces, it worked for me. I only wear it occasionally now.

Re: Meniscus tear? [Re: NewGulf] #8416442 10/13/21 02:13 PM
S
Stratgolfer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I had the scope clean up a few years ago. Shaved the tear, cleaned out the puffy clouds of arthritis. It's my good knee now.

"I was called by the Yorkers a outlaw, and later by the english a rebel" Ethan Allen
Re: Meniscus tear? [Re: NewGulf] #8417386 10/14/21 01:55 AM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Easiest surgery I've ever had and helped me tremendously. Walked out and was sore for a day.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Meniscus tear? [Re: NewGulf] #8417406 10/14/21 02:20 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
My meniscus scopes were painful, I was on crutches and pain meds for about a week.

Hopefully you have access to GREAT Orthopedic Surgeons. Mine were Quacks. Dont let the Doc give you a sheet of rehab exercises to do, you wont do them, scar tissue will build and you're F'd.

Does Gulf Texas confused2 have the Ortho Doctors you'll need? Get references !!!!!

If you have nextdoor.com go on there and aske people near you who they recommend

Don'y fall for the monkey sperm injections (Plasma, stem cell, etc) snake oil.

trust me save your knees. I was heavy most of my life and this didn't help carrying an extra 100lbs around. If you are a runner, stop, go low impact

Re: Meniscus tear? [Re: Buzzsaw] #8417426 10/14/21 02:46 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
My meniscus scopes were painful, I was on crutches and pain meds for about a week.

Hopefully you have access to GREAT Orthopedic Surgeons. Mine were Quacks. Dont let the Doc give you a sheet of rehab exercises to do, you wont do them, scar tissue will build and you're F'd.

Does Gulf Texas confused2 have the Ortho Doctors you'll need? Get references !!!!!

If you have nextdoor.com go on there and aske people near you who they recommend

Don'y fall for the monkey sperm injections (Plasma, stem cell, etc) snake oil.

trust me save your knees. I was heavy most of my life and this didn't help carrying an extra 100lbs around. If you are a runner, stop, go low impact

So the VA and Insurance pay for snake oil? Who know....

Do you have experience with stem?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Meniscus tear? [Re: NewGulf] #8417430 10/14/21 02:55 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Sorry Doctor Bo , guess not

Re: Meniscus tear? [Re: Buzzsaw] #8417432 10/14/21 02:59 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Sorry Doctor Bo , guess not

Generally curious as to why you think it's snake oil?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Meniscus tear? [Re: NewGulf] #8417459 10/14/21 03:49 AM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Some docs love it and some think it’s “snake oil” because it’s not fda approved. (Or at least it wasn’t when I dealt with it). That means insurance generally won’t pay and it’s up to the patient to cover it. That being said many docs use it every day “off-label” and are firm believers it helps shorten recovery times dramatically.

The blood is about 95% water. All the growth factors and platelets are the “good stuff” and what’s needed to heal/grow things back together faster. They call it the buffy coat and it’s what they are after when you spin the blood down. Blood is taken from the patient right before surgery and then put in a centrifuge and spun at about 3,000 rpm to separate all the parts into layers. Then the good stuff is pulled out and sprayed or injected into the area being worked on. Used all the time on sports injuries, ob-gyn, and bariatric surgeries. I made money every time it was used, so I’m a little biased. That being said, I went through quite a lot of training and think the science behind it is legit…. After all, it’s your own blood so you know your body won’t reject it, and you are able to concentrate a ton growth factors in a specific area. It could take your body weeks to get that much good stuff there on its own up

Last edited by Greg; 10/14/21 04:01 AM.
Re: Meniscus tear? [Re: Greg] #8417683 10/14/21 01:31 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Greg
Some docs love it and some think it’s “snake oil” because it’s not fda approved. (Or at least it wasn’t when I dealt with it). That means insurance generally won’t pay and it’s up to the patient to cover it. That being said many docs use it every day “off-label” and are firm believers it helps shorten recovery times dramatically.

The blood is about 95% water. All the growth factors and platelets are the “good stuff” and what’s needed to heal/grow things back together faster. They call it the buffy coat and it’s what they are after when you spin the blood down. Blood is taken from the patient right before surgery and then put in a centrifuge and spun at about 3,000 rpm to separate all the parts into layers. Then the good stuff is pulled out and sprayed or injected into the area being worked on. Used all the time on sports injuries, ob-gyn, and bariatric surgeries. I made money every time it was used, so I’m a little biased. That being said, I went through quite a lot of training and think the science behind it is legit…. After all, it’s your own blood so you know your body won’t reject it, and you are able to concentrate a ton growth factors in a specific area. It could take your body weeks to get that much good stuff there on its own up

I know why a few doctors think it, but I specifically wanted to know why Buzz thought that, since he had zero experience. I have pretty extensive personal experience with it over the last few years.

A lot of insurances pay for it now. I’ve had multiple marrow draws mixed with amniotic grafts. Knees, ankles, shoulder, elbow and disc. The biggest base line for me was my degenerative disc. Had multiple cortisone shots, to the point I was pretty much living off the max three shots a year. I had two series over 6 months and my back hasn't had an issue in two years. Been also fighting against a partial knee replacement since I was 35, greatest reduction in inflation I've had are marrow/amniotic draw/injections. Which says a lot because I backpack hunt the US pretty hard and have to train accordingly.

If someone is all about Cortisone and calls STEM snake oil, I'm out, they don't have your best interest in mind and/or haven't stayed up-to-date. Especially with the science in regards to cortisone injections and cartilage damage and or death of nearby bone.

Re: Meniscus tear? [Re: NewGulf] #8417711 10/14/21 01:45 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I had a neighbor try everything. He got the treatment which is always advertised in the newspaper. Stem cell. He paid well over $5,000, no insurance help.

I will look for this procedure advertisement.

again, I've been known to be wrong

BUT

if the joint is worn out (bone on Bone) anything except surgery is just a fix till "later". yes, these monkey jiz injections work......for a while.

Hey, I'm no Doctor, I should say these are my opinions

Lets talk backs now. I have spinal stenosis and Like BoBo, I've worn out the Caudal steroid shots. They don't work for me anymore. Hoping this knee replacement I just had will help it.

I go back to my back guy to see what the next step.
BoBo, who is your back Doctor? I might want to speak with him. Send me a PM if you want. I go to the Texas Back Institute in Plano. I would like to bring these treatments up to him. Back stuff is scary, I dont think I could ever trust a back surgery.

Re: Meniscus tear? [Re: 603Country] #8418682 10/15/21 12:45 AM
N
NewGulf Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by 603Country
Knee locking up…loose cartilage floating around in there.

Yep. I ain't kicking to high right now lol

Re: Meniscus tear? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8418693 10/15/21 01:00 AM
B
bronco71 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

I know why a few doctors think it, but I specifically wanted to know why Buzz thought that, since he had zero experience. I have pretty extensive personal experience with it over the last few years.

A lot of insurances pay for it now. I’ve had multiple marrow draws mixed with amniotic grafts. Knees, ankles, shoulder, elbow and disc. The biggest base line for me was my degenerative disc. Had multiple cortisone shots, to the point I was pretty much living off the max three shots a year. I had two series over 6 months and my back hasn't had an issue in two years. Been also fighting against a partial knee replacement since I was 35, greatest reduction in inflation I've had are marrow/amniotic draw/injections. Which says a lot because I backpack hunt the US pretty hard and have to train accordingly.

If someone is all about Cortisone and calls STEM snake oil, I'm out, they don't have your best interest in mind and/or haven't stayed up-to-date. Especially with the science in regards to cortisone injections and cartilage damage and or death of nearby bone.

Some insurance covers stem cell injections now? I know a few that got them and they worked...but had to pay out of pocket. I would try them in each knee before TKR's

Re: Meniscus tear? [Re: NewGulf] #8418711 10/15/21 01:17 AM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
Tore my miniscus, ripped my ACL off my femur and fractured my tibulia...only had ACL repaired.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Meniscus tear? [Re: bronco71] #8418735 10/15/21 01:37 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by bronco71
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Some insurance covers stem cell injections now? I know a few that got them and they worked...but had to pay out of pocket. I would try them in each knee before TKR's

Medicare and I think BCBS. Alot of it depends on what's being done too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide