Print Thread
Thermal Scope reviews #8412839 10/10/21 03:56 PM
J
jbarnett Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
I have been looking at reviews on thermal scopes for about a month. It seems there are a lot of websites that have contradicting info compared to what I have read on forums from the guys that actually use them in the field. I started off looking at ATN because almost every top 10 thermal scopes list has them listed and one went as far to say it was by far the best under $5000. Luckily I kept looking and found this site from another forum I am on. I have read a lot here and found a list of the best in each price range but it was a few years old. I have watched a lot of videos with the Super Yoter and am very interested but wanted to know if it is the best option in the $3500-5000 price range? Does it get a lot better if you go over the $5000 mark? It will be going on an AR 6.5 Grendel.

Re: Thermal Scope reviews [Re: jbarnett] #8413102 10/10/21 07:39 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
P
If this is your first thermal scope then you’ll most likely be amazed by any of the following :

Bering Super Hogster
Iray bolt tl35
Iray bravo
Bering Super Yoter

No need to spend the full 5k to be amazed , as ALL have very good images and function well.

All have a fair used market price too so in theory you could buy a 384 system to learn the use in your environment and the resale the scope and “upgrade” later ….

Again, if it’s your first thermal you’ll be impressed with a 384 and save $ 1 - 1.5k

Check the classified section on this board there are some good deals from time to time

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Thermal Scope reviews [Re: jbarnett] #8413374 10/11/21 12:18 AM
J
jbarnett Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
After watching the videos of the Super Yoter I am headed that direction. Was just wondering if there was anything better in that price range. Buy once cry once. lol

Re: Thermal Scope reviews [Re: jbarnett] #8413379 10/11/21 12:21 AM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted by jbarnett
After watching the videos of the Super Yoter I am headed that direction. Was just wondering if there was anything better in that price range. Buy once cry once. lol

No there is nothing better than the Super Yoter - R for $ 4700

Enjoy your new scope

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Thermal Scope reviews [Re: jbarnett] #8413967 10/11/21 02:25 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
You need to really have a good idea on what type of hunting you plan on doing..

In short, the farther away you want to be able to shoot (and thus the requirement for absolute positive ID) the more you need to spend.

For close range pig hunting under a hundred yards you don't "NEED" amazing imagery..
And you don't really want a lot of magnification either

And you don't need to spend as much

Re: Thermal Scope reviews [Re: jbarnett] #8414057 10/11/21 03:42 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Public Service Announcement from someone who's been in the e-commerce business for close to 10 years and who's seen the shadier side of online sales.

Here is a dirty little secret about "Top 10" type lists on the web. They are all fake and I'm not talking about just thermal scopes. It doesn't matter if it's lawn mowers or underwear. They are made by people who don't know a single thing about the items but create some fake blog or website and go get a list of items on Amazon, Walmart or other websites that they have affiliate links to. Affiliate links mean if you click that link and buy the product they get a commission. These people have never seen the lawn mowers, thermal scopes or laptop computers they are putting in the lists. It's just a way to get top search results using a bunch of keywords and then get a few sales when people click through and buy one of the items.

Now, back to your question at hand, Pig Popper's list is really good. I agree with his assessment. The one thing I'd really like to emphasize is, you need to buy a scope with the correct magnification for what you're doing and the Super Yoter is 3x base mag, as are all the other scopes in PP's list. 3x is just a very common magnification right now. However, depending on your shooting distances, you might be better off with less magnification like the new AGM Rattler 2x TS35-640, Ratter 2.5x TS50-640, Pulsar Thermion 2 XP50 2x etc. All those are in your price range as well.

There is a lot of get into, more than I can type but all these scopes are really good and I've used all of them that are on the table right now and I believe if you get the one with the right magnification, you won't go wrong. A quick note, you asked if there was anything better for $5,000, setting magnification aside, the answer is yes, the Thermion 2 XP50 has a slightly better image quality than the Super Yoter, It also has a better image quality than several scopes that are $6,000+. But again, if 3x works better than 2x for your hunting conditions, then the Super Yoter could still be a lot better deal for you.

Feel free to give me a call if you'd like to talk more about all these scopes, I'm glad to offer my 2 cents. My hands are tired of typing.haha Just ask for Jason if you call.

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Thermal Scope reviews [Re: Outdoor Legacy] #8414887 10/12/21 02:35 AM
J
jbarnett Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Jason, I knew there had to be something to the reviews that had ATN in the top 5 and listening to the end users saying the opposite. Thank you for the insight.
I will definitely give you a call before I buy anything. You were recommended from another forum i am on.

Re: Thermal Scope reviews [Re: jbarnett] #8414939 10/12/21 03:28 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by jbarnett
Jason, I knew there had to be something to the reviews that had ATN in the top 5 and listening to the end users saying the opposite. Thank you for the insight.
I will definitely give you a call before I buy anything. You were recommended from another forum i am on.

Thank you sir. I saw one of those "Top 10 Thermal Scopes for 2021" lists the other day and it literally had 5 scopes on it that were discontinued, 2 of which have been off the market for at least 3 years. I just shook my head.lol

Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2021 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide