Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: Texas Dan] #8410584 10/08/21 12:41 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Same reason Fauchi said don’t wear masks because they are not effective but now says they are....that’s why.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: Texas Dan] #8410594 10/08/21 12:46 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I think I’ve explained the reasoning behind why Weatherby and several custom barrel makers strongly recommend breaking in their new barrels. Several have disagreed the process provides any true value.

Anyone care to explain why?

Already been told to you many times.

They need to sell barrels. And people like you just have to have a break in procedure. So they, and many other makers produce a break in procedure so people like you will stop pestering them. I have asked you before, and you NEVER have answered. But since you want to dead_horse

Dan, have you ever had a brand new barrel and shot it so many rounds you have shot the barrel out, and needed a new barrel installed?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: J.G.] #8410632 10/08/21 01:08 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
They need to sell barrels. And people like you just have to have a break in procedure. So they, and many other makers produce a break in procedure so people like you will stop pestering them.

Wouldn't it be much easier and offer a much greater selling point for Weatherby and others to make the claim their barrels don't require it?

For those interested in knowing Weatherby's official stance on barrel break in...

Link

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/08/21 01:29 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: Texas Dan] #8410635 10/08/21 01:14 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Side stepped the question again. Chicken chit, troll.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: Texas Dan] #8410636 10/08/21 01:14 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
They need to sell barrels. And people like you just have to have a break in procedure. So they, and many other makers produce a break in procedure so people like you will stop pestering them.

Wouldn't it be much easier and offer a much greater selling point for Weatherby to make the claim their barrels don't require it?

For those interested in knowing Weatherby's official stance on barrel break in...

Link

$100 to supposedly break in a barrel. I’ll pass. No point, other to sell more ammo.

You are arguing with guys that have FFL Licenses to develop and sell custom loaded ammo, in which they develop well over 200 plus custom tuned loads a year.

Via your theory you should also break it in “until“ it speeds up….

You never cease to amaze

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8410649 10/08/21 01:31 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

You are arguing with guys that have FFL Licenses to develop and sell custom loaded ammo, in which they develop well over 200 plus custom tuned loads a year.

You never cease to amaze

I choose to view it as the futility in trying to convince a very small group with zero experience in manufacturing rifle barrels.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/08/21 01:33 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: Texas Dan] #8410674 10/08/21 01:49 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Y'all, Dan is the prototypical Mall Ninja Internet Expert with little practical experience (or common sense). Ignore him.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: J.G.] #8410681 10/08/21 01:52 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I think I’ve explained the reasoning behind why Weatherby and several custom barrel makers strongly recommend breaking in their new barrels. Several have disagreed the process provides any true value.

Already been told to you many times.

They need to sell barrels. And people like you just have to have a break in procedure. So they, and many other makers produce a break in procedure so people like you will stop pestering them. I have asked you before, and you NEVER have answered. But since you want to dead_horse

Dan, have you ever had a brand new barrel and shot it so many rounds you have shot the barrel out, and needed a new barrel installed?

100% correct. Outdoor writer Barsness explained it the same way many times over on 24HCF.

Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: Texas Dan] #8410687 10/08/21 01:56 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

You never cease to amaze

I choose to view it as the futility in trying to convince a very small group with zero experience in manufacturing rifle barrels.

Those same guys that have FFL’s #’s are working with custom makers or have their own lathes to turn chambers and and even setback barrels to extend life. Again a point less statement that has no teeth in this context. It’s been addressed by multiple people, you just don’t care to listen. When you chamber a barrel, shoot out a barrel, etc come back and have a sit. The guys you are arguing with, have already done the above.

20 years ago a sub moa production rifle was rare, machining and processes have greatly changed. Unfortunately some are too dense to listen to the guys that make a living or partial living building and customize guns and ammo.

But by all means keep agruing your inexperience it’s really building your street cred…

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: Texas Dan] #8410708 10/08/21 02:13 PM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Wouldn't it be much easier and offer a much greater selling point for Weatherby and others to make the claim their barrels don't require it?

Link

Note to self. Don't buy a Weatherby.

Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: Texas Dan] #8410715 10/08/21 02:19 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
You know it's a full blown troll when both JGraider and JGFireman are agreeing on stuff roflmao

I got $100 he's never burnt a barrel.

Originally Posted by 603Country
So, bottom line is that I always go hunting with lightly fouled barrels, but I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary for all rifles.

A rifle with clean, cold bore accuracy offers the hunter a more distinct benchmark than having to wonder if the fouling is enough or too much when hitting the woods time after time. Simply put, if it's clean it's on.

Also for the peanut gallery...^^^^ that's flat [censored]...clean then foul your gun. What's the point of knowing where the first one goes if everyone after goes somewhere else. Always be wary of the guys posting 3/4" groups at 90y...they are the real heros of the interwebs.

Sorry TCD...I tried to stay out of it but you kept digging. I told a buddy within the last two weeks...when you find yourself in a hole, the absolute best thing you can do is quit digging.

PS - carbon effects accuracy a lot more than copper wink

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: Texas Dan] #8410717 10/08/21 02:19 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
absolute troll

Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: Texas Dan] #8410804 10/08/21 03:29 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior

Weatherby does not make rifles themselves they contract that out to different manufactures and said manufacture has changed over time, they provide a 1.5 MOA guarantee. Sako/Tikka does give a MOA accuracy guarantee without a break in procedure as they say a well made rifle does not need it.

A little from a man that knows a thing or two about barrel making

https://yarchive.net/gun/barrel/break_in.html

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: Judd] #8410853 10/08/21 04:15 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by Judd
You know it's a full blown troll when both JGraider and JGFireman are agreeing on stuff roflmao

So, bottom line is that I always go hunting with lightly fouled barrels, but I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary for all rifles.

A rifle with clean, cold bore accuracy offers the hunter a more distinct benchmark than having to wonder if the fouling is enough or too much when hitting the woods time after time. Simply put, if it's clean it's on.

Also for the peanut gallery...^^^^ that's flat [censored]...clean then foul your gun. What's the point of knowing where the first one goes if everyone after goes somewhere else. Always be wary of the guys posting 3/4" groups at 90y...they are the real heros of the interwebs.

Sorry TCD...I tried to stay out of it but you kept digging. I told a buddy within the last two weeks...when you find yourself in a hole, the absolute best thing you can do is quit digging.

Ha! That was a cheap shot Judd, but funny. Actually, in spite of a few instances, I agree with FJG on almost everything. TCD, however, is a total clownshow.

Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: Jgraider] #8410865 10/08/21 04:31 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Jgraider
Originally Posted by Judd

Ha! That was a cheap shot Judd, but funny. Actually, in spite of a few instances, I agree with FJG on almost everything. TCD, however, is a total clownshow.

Hay!!!! Easy on the clowns!!! Sh^show is a better adjective

Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: Texas Dan] #8410908 10/08/21 05:24 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I watched a guy run through 40 rounds of Hornady precision Hunter 6.5 PRC at the range a couple weeks ago, breaking in his new Christensen Arms rifle. Shooting about 1-1.5 moa the whole time. No slouch, dude is from Idaho and showed me a lot of grip and grin photos. If not for that I would have felt sorry for him.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: Texas Dan] #8410910 10/08/21 05:26 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I did show him the old 30-06 my wife’s grandad gave me, and what it could do. I told him it was “almost broke in”. I could not resist!

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: 10 Gauge] #8410934 10/08/21 05:59 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
I did show him the old 30-06 my wife’s grandad gave me, and what it could do. I told him it was “almost broke in”. I could not resist!

Hunter's with old rifles are about like old golfers with old putters.......you're fixin' to get your asss kicked.

Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: Texas Dan] #8410937 10/08/21 06:05 PM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
“…Simply put, if it's clean FOULED it's on…” — cold bore or otherwise.

As long as it’s fouled, if you’ve got a POI shift, it’s your technique or your SYSTEM — ammo, neck tension, brass thickness, charge wt., case capacity, rifle bedding, incorrect action screw torque, bipod loading, blah blah blah

Here are 5 examples of 5 different loads in 4 rifles with FOULED barrels with no measurable POI shift with 1st cold bore shot.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: Jgraider] #8410946 10/08/21 06:15 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by Jgraider

Couldn't resist wink

RedSnake - nice presentation.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: Texas Dan] #8410949 10/08/21 06:18 PM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Well as a certain wise instructor once told me, you can eliminate every variable other than the wind. System has to be exactly the same, shot to shot. Can’t have a clean shot followed by a fouled shot and expect it to be the same.

Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: RedSnake] #8411032 10/08/21 07:37 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by RedSnake
Well as a certain wise instructor once told me, you can eliminate every variable other than the wind. System has to be exactly the same, shot to shot. Can’t have a clean shot followed by a fouled shot and expect it to be the same.

I think I know the guy that said all that.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: Texas Dan] #8411036 10/08/21 07:42 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Do the best race car drivers in the world know how to build the cars?

Still waiting on an answer. I'll add to it.

Have you ever started with a brand new barrel, bought 16 pounds of powder, 500 brass, 2000 bullets, 2000 primers, developed a load, and ran the same load shot to shot for the entire life of the barrel? Have you documented 5 (yes 5) to 1500 yard data for the life of that barrel? Have you documented number of rounds fired between cleaning, documented how many foulers needed to return to zero and be consistent again?

No, the answer is no to all the above. No need to answer, we all already know the answer.

Tim hit the nail on the head "mall ninja".

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: Texas Dan] #8411126 10/08/21 09:21 PM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Redsnake,

That 338 Sherman looks like a sexy round.

Re: Clean, cold bore accuracy [Re: scottfromdallas] #8411149 10/08/21 09:41 PM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Redsnake,

That 338 Sherman looks like a sexy round.

Oh, it is sexy. And it’s numbers are sexy..

285 ELD-M with ave MV of 2533 and ES of 7 with temp stable RL-16. Over 4000 ft•lbs at muzzle and remains above 1600 fps out to 1000 yds

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide