Print Thread
Kitchen Aid mixer/meat grinder #8410419 10/08/21 11:25 AM
C
Catperch Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
Just bought my wife a kitchen aid mixer for her birthday. You can buy a meat grinder attachment for it. Has anyone ever tried one of these? I'm due a new grinder but not sure if this will get the job done.

Re: Kitchen Aid mixer/meat grinder [Re: Catperch] #8410442 10/08/21 11:38 AM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I have one and it works just fine for small batches. I've ground chicken, pork, venison and beef, and it eats right through all of them. Biggest load I've used it on is about 6-8 pounds at a time.

Re: Kitchen Aid mixer/meat grinder [Re: Catperch] #8410467 10/08/21 11:51 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
What Mikei said, their great for small runs like grinding ribeyes into hamburger meat which I do all the time with ours but on a project like an entire deer you will be thr a long long time lol.

Last edited by Ol Thumper; 10/08/21 12:18 PM.
Re: Kitchen Aid mixer/meat grinder [Re: Catperch] #8410469 10/08/21 11:51 AM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I wouldn't do any more than 10lbs at a time, even then you're kind of stressing it a bit.

Last edited by Herbie Hancock; 10/08/21 11:52 AM.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Kitchen Aid mixer/meat grinder [Re: Catperch] #8410483 10/08/21 11:57 AM
C
Catperch Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
Okay, that's kind-of what I figured. I was buying it to process whole deer. Looks like I better get me a real one. Thanks to everyone for the response.

Re: Kitchen Aid mixer/meat grinder [Re: Catperch] #8410491 10/08/21 11:59 AM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Catperch
Okay, that's kind-of what I figured. I was buying it to process whole deer. Looks like I better get me a real one. Thanks to everyone for the response.

Yeah, you'd either take a few days to grind it up or you'd be buying a new Kitchen Aid.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Kitchen Aid mixer/meat grinder [Re: Catperch] #8410713 10/08/21 02:16 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I still use mine a lot even after I bought a meat grinder. Basically it takes to long to do more than 10 pounds at a time. Which is more than what I wind up with in trimmings so it works perfect for me. I normally don’t need to grind more than that anyway. Why commit to having a freezer full of grind? Unless that’s mostly what you eat anyway. I vacuum seal every cut of an animal. If I want pulled venison for tamales, stew meat, or something like that I’ll pull out 1/3 of the shoulder and do it. If I want ground venison I’ll pull out 1/3 of the shoulder and grind it.

Basically it so easy to clean and fast at a couple of pounds that it doesn’t bother me to take it out for one ml and grind what I need. It also keeps me from getting more ground meat than I want. I can always grind a piece of meat but I can’t turn it back into a solid steak at this point I’ve probably ground 100+ pounds through the kitchen aid in the last 2 years. Even use it for my brisket trimmings to make a couple pounds of sausage at a time.

Re: Kitchen Aid mixer/meat grinder [Re: Catperch] #8410741 10/08/21 02:34 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Oh there is a plastic one and a stainless one. Obviously go with the stainless.

Re: Kitchen Aid mixer/meat grinder [Re: Catperch] #8410764 10/08/21 03:05 PM
K
Ktexas14 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
You can easily process a whole deer with one. Sounds like some of these guys dont have one.

Kitchen aid motors are pretty dang good.

I have 0 problem grinding all of the grind for a deer, I have done probably 6 whole deer and all of the grinding that entails with mine in the last few years. It does just fine and will get it done pretty quick. It is way cheaper and takes up way less space than having ANOTHER big kitchen gadget.

Re: Kitchen Aid mixer/meat grinder [Re: Ktexas14] #8410797 10/08/21 03:27 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Ktexas14
You can easily process a whole deer with one. Sounds like some of these guys dont have one.

I have 0 problem grinding all of the grind for a deer, I have done probably 6 whole deer and all of the grinding that entails with mine in the last few years. It does just fine and will get it done pretty quick. It is way cheaper and takes up way less space than having ANOTHER big kitchen gadget.

LMAO,,, you obviously have more time to mess with grinding a deer then we do. We have 2 of them and I wouldn’t consider grinding a deer with one if you paid me to. I can kill an elephant with a baseball bat given enough time and stupidity to but a 500 nitro express works much better.

If your good grinding a whole deer that weighed more than 30 pounds with a mixer made for baking cakes have fun with that and the next time you do it give us some insight on how you do it in a couple hours. rofl

Re: Kitchen Aid mixer/meat grinder [Re: Catperch] #8410970 10/08/21 06:37 PM
C
Catperch Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
I like the idea of getting the attachment for it for small things in the kitchen, but I think think I'll finally break down buy me a meat grinder too. Although, my buddy is going to be disappointed to lose all the venison and fish I trade him for using his grinder.

Re: Kitchen Aid mixer/meat grinder [Re: Catperch] #8410985 10/08/21 06:47 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Yes I've used one, they do fine for small batches. Nowhere near as fast as a real grinder though.

Re: Kitchen Aid mixer/meat grinder [Re: Ktexas14] #8411099 10/08/21 08:52 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

Lol Your not going to break the kitchenaid. But why the hell would you grind a whole deer unless your forced to? You can’t easily do it. My “easy” level goes down when I have to sit there for longer than what should take 10 minutes. My big grinder can grind faster than I can toss meat at it. My kitchenaid can’t.

Like I said I’ve ground 100s of pounds with mine but I do it on an as needed basis. If I want to make 30 pounds of sausage or ground anything I’m doing it with my other kitchen gadget that will do it in a fraction of the time.

Last edited by Thisisbeer; 10/08/21 08:59 PM.
Re: Kitchen Aid mixer/meat grinder [Re: Thisisbeer] #8411101 10/08/21 09:00 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Thisisbeer

Lol Your not going to break the kitchenaid. But why the hell would you grind a whole deer unless your forced to? You can’t easily do it. My “easy” level goes down when I have to sit there for longer than what should take 10 minutes. My big grinder can grind faster than I can toss meat at it. My kitchenaid can’t.

I have a 3/4hp LEM Big Bite #12 and consider it pretty much the minimum for doing an entire deer at a time. Even at 3/4hp I've locked it down once or twice. The Kitchenaid is fine for a pound or two but unless you have tons of free time I'd consider a better option.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Kitchen Aid mixer/meat grinder [Re: Catperch] #8415379 10/12/21 04:58 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I have an old K5A Kitchen Aid. I had the Kitchen Aid grinder (plastic body) for several years but it finally started cracking and gave up. I replaced it with a non-Kitchen Aid model I found on Amazon. It's an all-metal construction that costs about what the KA plastic grinders go for. It works fine.

I had used the KA grinder for grinding hogs, usually ~25 Lbs at a time, and sometimes for stuffing sausage. But for jobs that size it was a bit of a pain. I agree with Skinnerback that they're okay for smaller tasks.

When you start thinking about larger grinders, there are obviously going to be various opinions. Here's my experience:
Some places, like Cabela's, offer grinders starting at ½HP and go up from there, with three digit prices beginning with 3 or greater.
My buddy bought a LEM #8 grinder (Not the Big Bite model) a few years ago on sale at Academy, and I've been really impressed with it. I just got through grinding up 50 Lbs of hog meat earlier this week. A couple of months ago we did >60 Lbs. With two of us working (one person cutting up the semi-frozen meat and the other feeding the grinder and putting the ground meat into quart freezer bags) the grinder was not the limiting factor. It says it grinds 2-3 Lbs/minute and I think that's not far off. Larger grinders undoubtedly work faster, but my wife & I wouldn't be able to take advantage of a faster grinder. http://www.itsallmeat.net/lem-575-watt-8-meat-grinder-review/

I have two unwritten rules:
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide