Print Thread
Spy point Cell cams #8403064 10/01/21 03:17 AM
H
haslethunter Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
I have been running Spartan cell cams. I am buying another one and considering buying a Spy Point Micro-LTE. I was wondering if anyone could give me feedback on these.

Re: Spy point Cell cams [Re: haslethunter] #8406887 10/05/21 12:09 AM
R
rowdy Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
R
I have a related post on the same subject. Can you tell me about Spartan? Pros? Cons? Why are you considering changing? Price? Availability? Thanks for your input.

Moos Firearms & LTC Training
Texas DPS LTC Instructor
Texas DPS School Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
coachmoos at hotmail.com
Re: Spy point Cell cams [Re: haslethunter] #8407076 10/05/21 03:00 AM
H
haslethunter Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Pros:
HD pictures available
10 second video available
Great pictures

Cons:
Tech support needs improvement
A challenge to set up
Difficult reception at my place this causes alkaline to get very expensive (use solar on all but one)
Price

I have ran Spartan for about 3 yrs now. We have 4 on our place. Unfortunately, 2 of them are 3G. We just called to renew the plan and they no longer support them. They said I can still use them as SD cams but not cell cams. I could have bought 4 SD cams for what I paid for my one of my Spartans. I have a buddy who switched to Spypoint and loves it. He pays less than $120 for them. Otherwise, I would not have considered switching.

Re: Spy point Cell cams [Re: haslethunter] #8407118 10/05/21 05:07 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Can you use a SpyPoint Cell-link with your existing Spartan cams? It would be a cheap alternative with existing cams you own. Academy had them on sale for $35 with free shipping IIRC. All you needed was batteries and micro-SD card. I have two that I use with an older Bushnell and then one on a really old SpyPoint cam. I have used them on Tasco, Primos and Stealth Cam. I got the Cell-Link with Nationwide. Mine work pretty well in an area that does not have great cell coverage for ATT but Verizon works pretty well. If I have one bar on the Cell-Link it will send pics, but if there are a lot of pics it may take a while to get them all. I have pics sent 4 times per day and that saves on batteries, but I still get 5000-6000 pics with one set of Rayovac Alkaline batteries. A lot depends on signal strength and then number of night pics as far as battery life. The only cam that I have that Cell-Link would not work with was a Reconyx..it was not software but the location of the SD card slot and how close the cover was to it when shut. Plans are $15/month for month to month for unlimited texts with no contract. If you buy year round plan I think it is like $12 for unlimited.
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/spypoint-cell-link-universal-cellular-adapter?sku=vzn

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Spy point Cell cams [Re: haslethunter] #8407459 10/05/21 03:43 PM
S
Savage243 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I would steer clear of any of the Micro series of cameras. We have had them for the past three years and I have sent five back and soon to be a sixth. Every time we get a decent rain shower, one of our cameras craps out on us. Water just pours out of the battery compartment and the camera will not work. We have moved them and tried to cover them a little better, which I find ridiculous to have to do and nothing has worked.

We are currently thinking about changing brands because we cannot keep any Micro camera working to save our lives. The Link Evo series however have been fantastic, especially when paired with a 12 V. battery system.

Re: Spy point Cell cams [Re: haslethunter] #8407484 10/05/21 04:27 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I have three of the Spy point micros and my FIL has three as well. We have had them for about 3 years, and if you would have asked my opinion last month, I would have told you that they were great! Only one of the 6 had any issues at all, and that was minor. Well, the batteries died in two of them, and now that the batteries have been replaced, We can't get them to work, and another one just quit on us too. Ugh.

Re: Spy point Cell cams [Re: haslethunter] #8407529 10/05/21 05:26 PM
L
lzybear75 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Wwe ran several spypoint cameras evos, evo darks, micros, even the cell link, all were pretty soild, we hooked them up to the 12 volt HME solar battery boxes, but even being solar we would have to pull them every month or so to plug in to get a full charge back on them.
First and foremost their customer service is terrible, they will have you sending them files, trying this that or the other for weeks instead of just replacing the messed up unit.
Second most of their software updates they try to do over air, so you have to be getting a great and reliable signal, if not update will be incomplete and it will shut the camera down and in some cases it even corrupted the sims card and it had to be replaced.

Re: Spy point Cell cams [Re: haslethunter] #8410703 10/08/21 02:11 PM
S
Stevarino Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S

Re: Spy point Cell cams [Re: haslethunter] #8411871 10/09/21 07:57 PM
J
JABHunting Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I had a one year old Spypoint crap out. Like a previous poster said, they promised a fix and had me jump through hoops 5 or 6 times with CHAT (customer service). Finally on that one they offered to replace it. Meanwhile, my brand new one hasn't worked since I opened the package, put a formatted SD and batteries in it and turned it on. Customer service had me do the same drill 3 or 4 times already and it still doesn't work. I am hoping the replace this one, but I will switch brands after this. One thing I have been told is that the Spypoint Long Range Antenna is worth the $59, it gets a much better signal. To get through this season I will probably try one. I am seriously thinking about the $500 for a Reconyx. Made in USA and can't find a complaint about them. For the gas I spent to and from my ranch to deal with the non-working Spypoint I would have save $300 already.

Re: Spy point Cell cams [Re: unclebubba] #8412225 10/10/21 01:43 AM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by unclebubba
I have three of the Spy point micros and my FIL has three as well. We have had them for about 3 years, and if you would have asked my opinion last month, I would have told you that they were great! Only one of the 6 had any issues at all, and that was minor. Well, the batteries died in two of them, and now that the batteries have been replaced, We can't get them to work, and another one just quit on us too. Ugh.

I've been running spypoints for a few years now. Just had my first one crap out on me after 3 years. They warranty them for 2. For a cameras that can be had for sub $100 dollars I'm not complaining really. I mean yeah it would be nice for them to run 4 or 5 years but then of course they'd probably be 3 or 4 hundred dollars. Just picked up a "twin" pack for like $149 making them $75 dollar cameras. I'll keep running them.

Re: Spy point Cell cams [Re: stxranchman] #8414697 10/11/21 11:28 PM
B
bronco71 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Can you use a SpyPoint Cell-link with your existing Spartan cams? It would be a cheap alternative with existing cams you own. Academy had them on sale for $35 with free shipping IIRC. All you needed was batteries and micro-SD card. I have two that I use with an older Bushnell and then one on a really old SpyPoint cam. I have used them on Tasco, Primos and Stealth Cam. I got the Cell-Link with Nationwide. Mine work pretty well in an area that does not have great cell coverage for ATT but Verizon works pretty well. If I have one bar on the Cell-Link it will send pics, but if there are a lot of pics it may take a while to get them all. I have pics sent 4 times per day and that saves on batteries, but I still get 5000-6000 pics with one set of Rayovac Alkaline batteries. A lot depends on signal strength and then number of night pics as far as battery life. The only cam that I have that Cell-Link would not work with was a Reconyx..it was not software but the location of the SD card slot and how close the cover was to it when shut. Plans are $15/month for month to month for unlimited texts with no contract. If you buy year round plan I think it is like $12 for unlimited.
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/spypoint-cell-link-universal-cellular-adapter?sku=vzn

I have a cell-link that will soon be used for target practice bang Tried it on 2 cams that save pics fine on their sd cards. Cell link shows 90%, all lights cycle and then go out as instructions say. No pics at all. New formatted quality 16g sd card. Everything shows good and then I get cable disconnected message a day or 2 later. Check next time I am there...not disconnected, take loose and replace, changed out cable once. Still get the message every few days with no pics. Then I start getting no sd card message...but it is there. Also GPS still shows at my house, never showed at the property, usually says maps not supported....but it will show it at my house confused2

Re: Spy point Cell cams [Re: haslethunter] #8415362 10/12/21 04:43 PM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I used to run covert cameras but when they switched from 3g to 4G I tried to save money and went to spypoint. First camera died after many times on phone they sent me another one. When the new one died and they couldn’t fix it I ended up going back to covert. They cost a little more but I got great customer service and a great camera.

Re: Spy point Cell cams [Re: bronco71] #8415541 10/12/21 07:05 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by bronco71
Originally Posted by stxranchman

I have a cell-link that will soon be used for target practice bang Tried it on 2 cams that save pics fine on their sd cards. Cell link shows 90%, all lights cycle and then go out as instructions say. No pics at all. New formatted quality 16g sd card. Everything shows good and then I get cable disconnected message a day or 2 later. Check next time I am there...not disconnected, take loose and replace, changed out cable once. Still get the message every few days with no pics. Then I start getting no sd card message...but it is there. Also GPS still shows at my house, never showed at the property, usually says maps not supported....but it will show it at my house confused2

My first SpyPoint I did a softwear update after it stopped sending pics and getting messages similar to you. Update solved that issue. I tried formating the SD card on the cable once after it filled up with pics for some reason...might have been from cable damage. I also format the micro-SD card after a lot of pics. I have not had any issues since I replaced the damaged cable(my fault) on my first cam early this summer. I get the disconnect if I am not careful closing the camera cover. It will pull the camera SD card out of the slot...so I loop the cable inside the camera and that helped stop my error. What type and brand of Micro-SD card are you using? I know it takes a special type as per their instructions. I check my cameras every time I put new batteries in the camera or Cell-Link on the spot with the phone app. I have had really good luck I guess.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Spy point Cell cams [Re: haslethunter] #8415743 10/12/21 08:48 PM
B
bronco71 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Thanks! I did the update and use the 10s micro SD card formatted as per instructions. I'll check the cable and loop it inside, that could very well be the problem!

Re: Spy point Cell cams [Re: haslethunter] #8419012 10/15/21 11:41 AM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
There have been a lot of posts about Spypoint cameras on here so I recommend doing a search.
I bought one and it was more than enough with the problem I had with it. I had it set up in my backyard
looking over my feeder. The biggest problem was the detection circuits used in them. I had deer and turkeys
at the feeder and it would not take a picture half of the time. It would send a picture to its web site when it did take a picture so that was not
a problem but when I would see wildlife and never get the picture that has little value. I worked with their customer no service
and all they kept telling me was to do the software update but that did not help. I wanted to talk to their engineers and really try and
help them with what was going on but they are not interested in that. If you have one working, then fantastic. I will look at other cameras.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide