Forums46
Topics537,956
Posts9,731,092
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8406044 10/04/21 02:21 AM
G
grizzlyman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
I'm more casual about it as I'm in my 60s. I have killed a lot of deer. I'm looking for more unusual experiences hunting other animals going forward.

NRA Certified Rifle/ML Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Graduate of Benning's School for Wayward Boys
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8406221 10/04/21 12:20 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Through much nicer glass.

Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: garyrapp55] #8406226 10/04/21 12:27 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Through much nicer glass.

up Well said. Makes a difference, doesn't it?

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8406227 10/04/21 12:28 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Especially in low light or even dark.

Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: grizzlyman] #8406232 10/04/21 12:47 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by grizzlyman
I'm more casual about it as I'm in my 60s. I have killed a lot of deer. I'm looking for more unusual experiences hunting other animals going forward.

you need to make a trip to DSC or SCI.

they have hunts for all kinds of animals you can't even imagine.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8406249 10/04/21 01:29 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I am definitly not as blood thirsty if you will as I was in my younger days. I still have no problem shooting deer and will on my own or with folks, but that is just how we do it. We eat deer meat year round and need a certain amount of it.

Have a little new drive, I have never killed a deer on a piece of land that I personally own, have the chance now, but waiting for the one I want it may take a few years. I'd also be stoked if my little boy got him, but he isn't ready yet. I enjoy hunting with my wife and my kids, and I didnt get to sit with them, but being there for the recovery of my nephews first deer each was great to me, hope something we can all enjoy together for years to come.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8406261 10/04/21 01:44 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
With regards to hunting, I guess I am wired different than most it seems. I am still as passionate about it at 65 today as I was at 5, 60 years ago. I still enjoy the hunt as much today, if not more as time slips away. Just yesterday evening I killed a buck on my new place with my bow. With all the rain last week, I was disappointed I could not get to my place to hunt opening morning. This morning, I can't wait till my next hunt when I climb back into a bowblind to start the quest again. Whether it is a doe or buck, I still get excited about the next hunt. I sit in deer blinds year round either hunting or taking photographs. I fill feeders, build pens, clear shooting lanes, look for sheds, look for sign, plan for the next hunt, scout, pattern a deer, setup for specific deer, etc. all year long. I have killed a whole lot of deer during my life. I eat venison almost everyday, so I hunt to fill the freezer also. I have a home full of mounts to remember those hunts by. I have a computer full of photographs from scouting and hunting trips. I try to learn something new about wildlife or the land I hunt every time I go out. Every time. Knowledge comes from experience. Experiences make memories. Memories die with you, they can never be taken from you.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8406272 10/04/21 01:55 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I am still very driven to hunt, but when I started pulling the trigger at 10 years old I would have shot the very first legal critter that stepped out that my dad would allow. Now not the same.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8406277 10/04/21 02:01 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I am still driven to kill something when I hunt. When I don't, I can live with it and it fuels the fire for the anticipation of the next hunt. The kill does not define me or why I hunt, it is just part of the desire to hunt and the experience.

Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8406374 10/04/21 03:45 PM
Adchunts Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
I’m with the folks that just aren’t that mad at them any more. Back in my younger days, I’d hunt 4-6 times a week. My goal was to shoot a limit of whatever I was hunting. Up at 2:00 AM to duck hunt, deer hunt from dawn until dark, follow bird dogs around for hours hunting quail. I’ve killed a truck load of game, and have a room full of mounts (from ducks to pheasant to antelope to bear). I’d rather take a kid hunting these days and experience it through their eyes. I’ll still go to muzzleloader deer camp this year, but would like to see my brother shoot a nice buck instead of me shooting one.

I do have some bucket list hunts that I am still excited about. Nilgai (scheduled for November), elk, free range axis buck, and a few others.

Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: stxranchman] #8406418 10/04/21 04:32 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by stxranchman
I am still driven to kill something when I hunt. When I don't, I can live with it and it fuels the fire for the anticipation of the next hunt. The kill does not define me or why I hunt, it is just part of the desire to hunt and the experience.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted...If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job.

Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting
Spanish philosopher & politician (1883 - 1955)

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8406423 10/04/21 04:40 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
The five stages of hunter development are:

Shooting Stage - The priority is getting off a shot, rather than patiently waiting for a good shot. This eagerness to shoot can lead to bad decisions that endanger others. A combination of target practice and mentoring helps most hunters move quickly out of this stage.

Limiting-Out Stage - Success is determined by bagging the limit. In extreme cases, this need to limit out also can cause hunters to take unsafe shots. Spending time with more mature hunters helps people grow out of this phase.

Trophy Stage - The hunter is selective and judges success by quality rather than quantity. Typically, the focus is on big game. Anything that doesn’t measure up to the desired trophy is ignored.

Method Stage - In this stage, the process of hunting becomes the focus. A hunter may still want to limit out but places a higher priority on how it’s accomplished.

Sportsman Stage - Success is measured by the total experience—the appreciation of the out-of-doors and the animal being hunted, the process of the hunt, and the companionship of other hunters.

I find all these interesting and think 'Managing Stage' should possibly be added, where you work to preserve or enhance the land and stock that you have. I also think you can exist in multiple stages at the same time.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #8406436 10/04/21 04:50 PM
K
Kelulu Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Most of us who grow up with it start out as stone cold animal slaughterhouses. If you don’t slow down some from that then something is probably wrong with you.
I was still pretty amped up to kill something while I was in my 30s though. Gradually came to value the experience as much taking an animal, then moreso. I am not mad at the whitetails anymore but do try like heck to get a good animal on hunts out west/up north, while at the same time slowing down and enjoying the ride.
I have about decided about the time you finally learn how to really enjoy mountain hunting, you are about too old to do it. 😊

Bird hunting with a wonderful pup has been an unexpected Godsend to me and taught me a whole bunch about just enjoying the moments.

Early in life I viewed all my hunting endeavors as a contest. If you do something enough to get even marginally good at it that thing will lose a little bit of the original challenge. Such it was with me and hunting. I went from relaxing about the killing to eventually avoiding the kill.

I must add that I don't begrudge others the love of the kill. In fact I've learned to take a lot of pleasure from watching others get satisfaction afield in whatever form that takes. Taking a kid or first time hunter afield is probably more satisfying than the actual killing used to be.

Bird hunting is my exception. I love it. Mainly I love my dogs and they love it. When I was younger shooting a limit was a primary focus whereas today I generally shoot a bird only when my dogs make the find and handle the birds correctly on the ground. Wild flush birds get to fly away. I know almost as many bird dogs as I do bird hunters and am just as happy to see the dogs every fall as I am their owners. A lifetime of bird dogs has lead me to memories beyond count and a knowledge that all wonderful things end too quickly. If you want to relearn a love of the outdoors get yourself a pup!

And why, today, remember misses?

--Ernest Hemingway--
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: Texas Dan] #8406437 10/04/21 04:51 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted...If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job.

rolleyes

Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: Texas Dan] #8406449 10/04/21 05:03 PM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

I almost posted this

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8406632 10/04/21 07:50 PM
K
Kingsview Safaris Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
For me, my focus is shifting more onto teaching my kids about hunting and trying to do more bow hunting for myself.

Jono and Justine McHugh
Eastern Cape, South Africa
www.kingsviewsafaris.co.za
Listen to our Podcast: Round The Fire With Kingsview Safaris
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8406641 10/04/21 07:56 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Reading this post and all the responses sure did me some good. Over the last couple of years i can relate to most every thought expressed. I still thoroughly enjoy the outdoors and find many different ways to fulfill that joy. But they have and are changing dang near all the time.

Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8406745 10/04/21 09:48 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I hunt more further from home.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: txtrophy85] #8406799 10/04/21 10:38 PM
Texas452 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by BDB
I have shot elk, caribou, deer, hog and various small game with my all wood bows but I got tired of passing elk and deer at 25+ yards. Then my 3 boys got into hunting all about 9-10 years old. Between guiding them and still trying to hunt with my primitive toys I went almost 15 years without shooting a wt deer.

you kill a Elk or Caribou with a self made bow you are a bad mama jamma.

For sure.

Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8406886 10/05/21 12:07 AM
S
StraitShot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
This really struck home when my father died and I realized there would be no more hunting trips with him. Only then did I understand that the real trophies from a hunting trip are not the horns, heads, antlers and hides. The real trophies are the people you share the trips with. I haven't hunted for any antlers since I buried my father in 2013. I have taken a few bucks as target of opportunities but now I hunt for the memories and for a few does for the meat. I take time to watch the sunrise. I find joy in watching the birds fly and hearing the coyotes howl. I relish the feel of the sun and wind on my face and I wish every season that I could have all those long dead hunters with me in camp once more.

Well said sir... very well said indeed.. thank you..

Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8406906 10/05/21 12:24 AM
S
StraitShot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I don't think my view of hunting has really changed much. I've got more experience and hopefully wiser. I really started hunting in my 30's although I'd been around guns since I was eight. Now, I'm 60... that's a bit of distance there.... But the things I love haven't changed much. I love the smell of the open ground and the look of the land as it first wakes up. I love the hikes with pack and rifle, being places that eyes have not seen and where foot has not stepped in decades.... or longer. I love tracking a deer, to see who will out smart whom..(I've lost at that more times than I want to admit). This is what I get up for...

Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8406961 10/05/21 01:14 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
amazing all of the different views and perspectives about hunting - truth is we are all different with different backgrounds and upbringings. None are better or worse than someone else's experiences -

Beauty of all this is this: we were blessed to be born and grow up in the USA where we all get to do whatever we want to do - simply this - there is no right or wrong on hunting how you want - God bless the USA

You can't fix stupid
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8407301 10/05/21 12:23 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Of the loose crowd of a dozen +/- guys that eventually became a core of 5 of us thru more than several Lease's, is now down to just me at 77 years old. All the rest of the guys are gone but one and he is barely living on a CPap machine...he was a tough Hombre and could sleep in a snow bank if need be.

When I went on my first Deer Hunt, with my crippled up grandfather, he used the drive from Dallas to Llano to make me understand that Hunting was a bonding activity with other people. Looking back at who I have shared a campfire with, they are all fond memories of the high jinks we pulled on each other, shared the specialty foods some of us were known for ... yadda yadda.

I took my 2 sons to the range 1st in their teen years, then dove hunting a time or two, then to the deer lease, but they had their own agenda's and lives to live... and they are more bonded to their mother than they are to me since I was the Sheriff at home when they screwed up ... I can only guess that this is Ma Nature's way and why I am determined to make a successful Hunt at least One More Time, even if I have to Hunt alone and toast all those names of people I still miss...from Randall Weems aka Crazy Horse & his knee length Hog tusk necklace to my AH BiL...

One of the things my Grandfather made sure I understood on that 1st trip was that Father Time waits for No One...
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8407312 10/05/21 12:35 PM
M
mfnlonewolf Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Enjoy watching grand kids hunting and shooting. Me, i would maybe shoot deer if it tried to attack me. Pigs are a different story. DRT

"I am off like a herd of turtles" mfnlonewolf
Re: How you view hunting as you've aged? [Re: BradyBuck] #8407317 10/05/21 12:39 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
^^^ I never had quite as tight a group as it sounds like you had, but I know the feeling of losing hunting buddies and I try to toast them too. Hell, I even talk to one or two of them out loud occasionally. grin

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide