Print Thread
Brow tines #8390351 09/19/21 04:06 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I am not sure if this has been discussed before, I am sure it has but I can't remember specifically in the few years I have been around. In regards to brow tines, if a young deer never has them do they ever grow them as they grow into a mature deer? I am sure I could google this and fall asleep reading about it, but I always enjoy reading real life experiences about it. No I wouldn't go popping off 2.5 year olds that don't have any brow tines, just something I have been thinking about the past couple of days.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Brow tines [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8390369 09/19/21 04:18 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
It’s not a yes or no answer it’s a statically probability of no or short(compared to local genetics w/) g1’s.

To anwser the question if you have to many mouths and need to take out (specifically) the bottom of a 2.5 year old age class, then statistically you have an argument , but not an absolute.

If you just don’t want to see him get mature, then you don’t need either a probability or absolute you just need a tag

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Brow tines [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8390537 09/19/21 06:24 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
TPWD did a study up in the Albany area many years ago where they recorded age of killed bucks and then certain lengths of tines IIRC...mainly browtines though. They wanted to see if browtine length was an indicator of age of bucks. I do not remember all of what happened but do know they were able to get close on age by judging browtine length on bucks the aged and measured. From that research on bucks from that area they were able say that as bucks aged from 1-4 yrs of age(IIRC) their browtines got a little longer each year. Browtine length is one thing you can cull for also IME. IME also I do know that on a ranch I managed we had a lot of deer and a lot of bucks with no or only one browtine. We did nothing to cull them for the first 4 yrs, what we did do was start a year round supplemental feeding program. Not every buck that was missing browtines grew them, but the vast majority of them had to since they no or missing one browtine deer disappeared over age. By year 6 it was rare to see a 2 yr old or older buck missing browtines. What we did cull were bucks with very short browtines though.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Brow tines [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8391268 09/20/21 12:22 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
My field observations after hunting one place for fourteen years ad now being on another place the past fifteen years indicate tine length in relation to the overall rack progresses differently depending on where they are. If a young deer comes out and the G-1's are prominent in relation to his rack, then that's the way it is going to be moving forward over the years. Pretty much the same can be said for the 2's (especially) and 3's. Over any give year past 4, the eye guards will pretty much have a similar presence in relation to what should be an ever larger rack.

Beam length, mass, lengthening G-3's and especially 4's (if they come out at all) will stand to improve over a year more than what the 1's and 2's do from year to year. I had the sheds two years running from one of the bigger ones I was fortunate enough to harvest. Right beam G-1 was a little over 5 the first year and then 8 two years later. G-2's from 6 1/4 to 9 1/2, 3's from 8 to 11, G-4's from 2 to 7 1/2 when on the ground. Can't do the mass differences, but the the little over 36 inches of mass when taken was also a significant improvement from two years prior.

Re: Brow tines [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8391391 09/20/21 02:17 PM
H
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Thanks for the responses.

Re: Brow tines [Re: Hudbone] #8391674 09/20/21 06:07 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Hudbone
My field observations after hunting one place for fourteen years ad now being on another place the past fifteen years indicate tine length in relation to the overall rack progresses differently depending on where they are. If a young deer comes out and the G-1's are prominent in relation to his rack, then that's the way it is going to be moving forward over the years. Pretty much the same can be said for the 2's (especially) and 3's. Over any give year past 4, the eye guards will pretty much have a similar presence in relation to what should be an ever larger rack.

Beam length, mass, lengthening G-3's and especially 4's (if they come out at all) will stand to improve over a year more than what the 1's and 2's do from year to year. I had the sheds two years running from one of the bigger ones I was fortunate enough to harvest. Right beam G-1 was a little over 5 the first year and then 8 two years later. G-2's from 6 1/4 to 9 1/2, 3's from 8 to 11, G-4's from 2 to 7 1/2 when on the ground. Can't do the mass differences, but the the little over 36 inches of mass when taken was also a significant improvement from two years prior.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^ up

I couldn't agree more

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Brow tines [Re: Hudbone] #8391701 09/20/21 06:23 PM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

36” of mass? Wow!
eek2

Re: Brow tines [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8395829 09/24/21 11:19 AM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
This is a new deer which just showed up in several photos. We just have not seen much of this at our ranch, like almost none. First time he is seen, he will not be seen again.

[Linked Image]

Re: Brow tines [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8395847 09/24/21 12:01 PM
H
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Yep, take him out.

Re: Brow tines [Re: Hudbone] #8395898 09/24/21 12:59 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
This is a new deer which just showed up in several photos. We just have not seen much of this at our ranch, like almost none. First time he is seen, he will not be seen again.

[Linked Image]

He probably was not getting proper nutrition...see that WCS basket is empty....or maybe he is a cross with those bovines that got into your pen..they did not have any browtines either. grin

Re: Brow tines [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8396130 09/24/21 04:46 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
looks like a solid meat deer.

Outdoorsman
Re: Brow tines [Re: stxranchman] #8396138 09/24/21 04:55 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by stxranchman

[Linked Image]

He probably was not getting proper nutrition...see that WCS basket is empty....or maybe he is a cross with those bovines that got into your pen..they did not have any browtines either. grin

Oh and some clown will be along to tell you he is "thin-horned"...someone would say "shoot him as a spike:...some clown would say "no, he is just thin horned"....someone would say "he was a thin-horned spike"...then some clown would say "that is why I did not shoot him"...he would then proceed to orate or wafffle about how age, spikes...then someone would say..."if I agreed with you then we would both be wrong"

Re: Brow tines [Re: stxranchman] #8396299 09/24/21 07:58 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

[Linked Image]

Oh and some clown will be along to tell you he is "thin-horned"...someone would say "shoot him as a spike:...some clown would say "no, he is just thin horned"....someone would say "he was a thin-horned spike"...then some clown would say "that is why I did not shoot him"...he would then proceed to orate or wafffle about how age, spikes...then someone would say..."if I agreed with you then we would both be wrong"

And so it begins…..
popcorn

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Brow tines [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8396542 09/24/21 11:42 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Somes know why the damn cottonseed basket is empty and it ain't humorous. If that deer is malnourished, he has bigger problems and somes who have been around the block should know that. Just glad there aren't five cows in that photo.

Re: Brow tines [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8396677 09/25/21 01:52 AM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Glad 5 cows arent in the pen.....somes would think you set your bar mighty low, but others of us are noticers and know.
All that rain so no excuses for a poor year.....

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Brow tines [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8396946 09/25/21 10:50 AM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Gotsa nuther photo showing some ribs on that guy. He ain't gonna make it.

Re: Brow tines [Re: freerange] #8396977 09/25/21 11:57 AM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by freerange
Glad 5 cows arent in the pen.....somes would think you set your bar mighty low, but others of us are noticers and know.
All that rain so no excuses for a poor year.....

You have no idea -

[Linked Image]

Re: Brow tines [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8403126 10/01/21 09:52 AM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
This is an example of a no brow tine buck which will get a pass. Lots of youth here and I do not like his set up, but we will have more imperative cull opportunities.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Hudbone; 10/01/21 09:54 AM.
Re: Brow tines [Re: stxranchman] #8403208 10/01/21 12:46 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I

[Linked Image]

I think it is because Hud and his compadres have the deer to well trained to come in to feed stations and now that we finally got a wet year the poor little buck didn't know how to eat the normal forage he should be eating when it popped from all the rain.

So, in a nutshell I say it is Hud's fault and the poor little buck should get a pass til next year.
Never know, he might pop out 4" G1s with a dry year and he comes back to the feed store.

grin

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Brow tines [Re: Hudbone] #8403209 10/01/21 12:47 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
This is an example of a no brow tine buck which will get a pass. Lots of youth here and I do not like his set up, but we will have more imperative cull opportunities.

[Linked Image]

Can I come hunt the management buck behind him????

rifle

Re: Brow tines [Re: Hudbone] #8403210 10/01/21 12:47 PM
H
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H

[Linked Image]

Well yeah he get's a pass, he a baby.

Re: Brow tines [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8454464 11/20/21 02:19 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
One cull gone gone
[Linked Image]

Re: Brow tines [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8455866 11/22/21 04:35 AM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I’m not real big on culling but I have no issue with saying goodbye to that one.
Hud, are y’all MLD?

Re: Brow tines [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8455922 11/22/21 10:42 AM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Yes, really helps with the tags and btw, culling works. That one pictured will NOT spread his genes this year. Kinda an addition by subtraction thing.

Another btw and from September 24th, a promise is a promise, "First time he is seen, he will not be seen again". I almost feel prophetic.

Last edited by Hudbone; 11/22/21 10:44 AM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide