Print Thread
Camera help #8397623 09/26/21 01:25 AM
R
rowdy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
Need to buy a couple cameras that use ATT to transmit pics to my phone. I know this has probably been beaten to death but I’m looking at Spypoint and Spartan. Spartan is more expensive. Are they worth it? Any problems with either?

Moos Firearms & LTC Training
Texas DPS LTC Instructor
Texas DPS School Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
coachmoos at hotmail.com
Re: Camera help [Re: rowdy] #8402419 09/30/21 04:04 PM
G
Gemlin Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Buy the Tactacam Reveal X cameras. They can be difficult to find but work great

Re: Camera help [Re: rowdy] #8402469 09/30/21 04:58 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I bought to SpyPoint CellLink to use with my existing trail cams. Right now Academy has them for $34.99 with free shipping. I bought the ones with Nationwide cell service to use. So if you have current trail cams this may work...they work with most cameras but some they won't. Not a software issue but a location of the SD slot. They work great even with minimal or varying signal strength somedays....it may take them a little longer to send the pics till service is better. The celllinks are ready to use when you get them, you just have to add a micro SD card so it can save the original pics to the card. I would think any of the SpyPoint cams will do the same.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Camera help [Re: rowdy] #8405746 10/03/21 08:48 PM
K
Kodyjoe2016 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
My brother uses Tactacam Reveal. Our buddy from Wisconsin came hog hunting last year and took a couple back with him to set up Pretty neat getting bears and big ol bucks sent to his phone from way up there

Re: Camera help [Re: rowdy] #8406375 10/04/21 03:46 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by rowdy
Need to buy a couple cameras that use ATT to transmit pics to my phone. I know this has probably been beaten to death but I’m looking at Spypoint and Spartan. Spartan is more expensive. Are they worth it? Any problems with either?

No one really answered your question...Spartan is one of the cameras that I haven't tried. Spypoint I started to try but being on a bigger lease allows you to see other folks issues...Spypoint you will need their support, it's not if it's when. So I have stayed away for that reason. I'm 4 hours away from my cameras and that presents an entire different issue when trying to troubleshoot one. Cell cameras I have used and a short review.

Snyper - best pictures from the ones I've used...smaller company, lacks QA processes and tests new releases in production, plan on needing to be there to power cycle. Used them one year and sold them.
RidgeTec - mediocre pictures, decent videos, expensive plans and no unlimited options, best app and ability to control camera remotely that I've seen...massive power hogs, you'll need a 12v feeder battery to run them if you have high activity.
Bushnell Core - not the best pictures but adequate and has an unlimited plan...they pushed an update this past weekend that messed up some cameras but overall thus far last few months these have been very stable (most of the guys at the lease switched to these and there are over 10 out, so good sample size)
Reveal X - pictures aren't good at all (HD pictures are better but are $5.00/50 pictures), app is alright and does have fair amount of controls, unlimited plan that is $25 per month for 2 cameras...thus far have been flawless from a stability perspective and likely the main reason I'll run them this entire season.
Covert Fusion - I bought these with full intension of using them this year but the pictures guys posted here made me realize they sucked and I'd never be happy with the picture...so I sold them and bought the Reveal X...ironic their pictures suck too.

I hope this helps but specifically...I'd try the Spartan before a SpyPoint.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Camera help [Re: rowdy] #8440215 11/05/21 11:20 PM
D
DoubleDrop32 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I run stealth cam and reveal. Stealth cam has a much better app and easier to use. Picture quality is dang good too.

Re: Camera help [Re: rowdy] #8441692 11/07/21 08:20 PM
J
JCO Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I don’t have experience with the Spartan but have 1 working Spypoint out of four. I’ve tried everything support suggests and they work for awhile and then quit. Very card finicky. Went to the Reveal and haven’t had the first issue. Time will tell.

NRA Life Member (Master of Poor Decisions)
Re: Camera help [Re: rowdy] #8479386 12/18/21 02:44 PM
B
BrazosHunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I've got 3 spypoint cell cams and only one gave us trouble. The biggest issue for us has been the battery life. These cell cameras blow through cheap alkaline batteries like nobody's business. We have two working solutions for the battery issue. Use a battery box / solar charger or use $$$ lithium batteries. I use one of the spypoint cameras at the front gate for security and it takes about a dozen photos a day of the oilfield & rancher traffic. At this rate of service alkaline batteries last about 3 to 4 weeks but the lithium batteries last about 3 to 4 months.. and are well worth the investment. I just picked up a Moultrie cell cam (EVO) and found that the unit will burn through a set of alkaline batteries in less than a week... I'm in the process of building a solar/battery box for it to use as a secondary security camera. The Moultrie camera was $62 at Walmart and the service is about $100 a year. Spypoint are a little more $$ but the service is about the same. I haven't needed support yet from either. Both phone apps are OK but I don't require much for my security application of the cameras. I'd probably buy either camera again because of the price point and already having the service. They do work well once the battery/power situation is resolved. I hope this helps..

Re: Camera help [Re: rowdy] #8480154 12/19/21 01:08 PM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I have tried different cameras over the years except for the Spartan and I can tell you the Spypoint Camera
was the worst camera. It would transmit OK but the actual detection circuits used n the camera are very poor.
I had it set up in my backyard where my feeder is and there would be turkey and deer there and half the time
the camera did not even take a picture of the wildlife. The pictures they took would transmit ok but not worth
missing half the wildlife. I recently purchased the Reveal X and am amazed that the place we hunt is so remote that
I cannot get cell signal but the Reveal Camera gets 1 bar of signal strength and it transmits pictures just fine. The
pictures have been ok not as good as others but just glad to get pictures in such a remote area.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide