Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,786
Posts9,729,160
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
New Tent recommendationooking at the cabbalas Alaknak #8400686 09/28/21 09:13 PM
B
BDB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
I need a new tent for base camp hunting. 12x12 or little bigger. I'm looking at the Cabelas Alaknak or Kodiak lodge. We will only use this once per season and maybe none at all if we pack in for remote hunting.

Note: We just got back from Montana elk hunt. Very tough conditions. My older cheap tent was shredded by the extreme high winds we got. Montana is in the worst drought in history. Temps never got cold (at least for the elk). The wind howled for about 6 days, wolves moved in and we actually saw a herd move over the mountain top and into the next drainage the morning the wolves howled. Every animal in that drainage heard them. Then we got 3 days of snow and thats when the bulls went silent, that was about sept. 12 or so and they never cranked back up....we left sept 25th. Full moon didn't help either. wardens, forest service people and locals all echoed the same problems all over SW Montana. We hunted the Madison and Gravely ranges. very few cows....and I thought that would help us on bulls but they just would not respond or even come in quiet. I called in 1 bull that sneaked in without making a sound and he busted me the caller.

My son got drawn twice on nice bulls but cows and wind would do the damndest thing to ruin it. He was 3 seconds away from releasing arrow inside 20 yards when the lead cow....decided to run out front and got to far downwind of us and smelled us before the arrow was gone. Had a great time, saw BIG moose, blackies, goats, mule deer etc. Saw no Grizz but another hunter shot and wounded a sow with 2 cubs after she charged him. We smelled her a few times and saw her diarrhea poop as she was sick.

I'm taking Montana off the "destination" list as the wolves have devastated the herds in that state. We were in a prime area and a game warden (I finally got checked after 8 elk hunts) told me the herd is down 70% due to wolves. Sad!!

Back to Tents....any other options to the ones I listed please share

Re: New Tent recommendationooking at the cabbalas Alaknak [Re: BDB] #8400688 09/28/21 09:15 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: New Tent recommendationooking at the cabbalas Alaknak [Re: BDB] #8401152 09/29/21 11:22 AM
P
pdotson Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
I just sold a kodiak canvas flex bow. It was a really solid tent! I ended up getting a RTT was my only reason for selling.

Re: New Tent recommendationooking at the cabbalas Alaknak [Re: BDB] #8401270 09/29/21 01:42 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Why not a good wall tent from Davis in Denver ?
Wall tents hold up much better in extreme weather than most other canvas types .
Add a rain fly and you'll be warm and dry.
Ours has endured winds up to 60 mph and deep snow.
If you stake it out right they are almost as steady as a cabin.

Downside, they are heavy and you need a good internal frame. Also take up room when travelling but I wouldn't go across Wyoming to camp without it.
We've spent 21 days at a time in ours elk hunting, deep snow and wind were no issues with the Davis tent.

Buy your Wyoming PP and avoid wolves in our general areas.

Re: New Tent recommendationooking at the cabbalas Alaknak [Re: BDB] #8401317 09/29/21 02:17 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I have the 12x12 Alaknak and am really happy with it. Its still a big tent, but MUCH smaller to haul than a proper wall tent. I don't want to haul a trailer, so with coolers and other gear, the back of my truck fills up fast and I didn't want to devote most of that space just to a tent. I haven't had it in any serious weather yet, but it did just fine with a couple inches of snow in Colorado two years back and temps in the low teens in Idaho last year. I have no doubt that it could handle bad weather with no problem. One really nice feature is that it has a ton of different vents and windows so you can dial in your ventilation exactly how you want it. Last year, I had a propane heater in it that caused some condensation issues with the tent fully buttoned up, but we were able to adjust vents so that we had enough ventilation to stay dry, but nobody had a cold breeze over them and the tent stayed plenty warm. That being said, I will probably get a wood stove for it to avoid the condensation that comes with propane heat.

Re: New Tent recommendationooking at the cabbalas Alaknak [Re: BDB] #8402080 09/30/21 03:14 AM
B
BDB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Thanks for all the replies. Yes I'm looking at Davis tents and canvas cabins as far as wall tents. The Alaknak if I decide to go away from canvas. Both Davis and CC have specials right now that include a stove. Neither can get me a tent before we go back in November with rifles but I'll manage somehow.

Wytex those were the first wolves I've heard howling and I must admit I enjoyed listening to that eerie sound....but I could go without them as far as the elk hunting goes. We came down from Billings to Chayenne and Bighorns.....are those general areas? I'd figure anything around Yellowstone would have wolves and grizz

Re: New Tent recommendationooking at the cabbalas Alaknak [Re: BDB] #8402303 09/30/21 01:48 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Far enough south of Yellowstone, wolves are rare, grizz too.
Bighorns are LQ but Snowy Range are general areas save for one. Part of the area between Cheyenne and Laramie up towards Wheatland is general license too, Laramie Peak is LQ.

Davis just might have something in stock you could pick up on the way, they are great folks to deal with.
Montana wall tents are great as well.

You never know in Nov what weather may come, could be 10-16 inches of snow and that Alaknak may not hold up to that.

Some of you may remember this Sept storm last fall. It dumped 16+ inches in the mountains of Wyoming and Colorado.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Tent recommendationooking at the cabbalas Alaknak [Re: BDB] #8402898 10/01/21 12:15 AM
D
Daniel Boone Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I have a Kodiak Canvas tent that I really like. Very comfortable, quick and easy to put up by yourself if needed. It comes in several sizes based on your needs and tends to handle the wind pretty well. Good luck.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide