BigPig Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by cbump
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Bildo
Lots of old school thinking here and although I do appreciate it some purchases are better using other people’s money. Especially with today’s rates. The world is changing. Let your money work for you.

Do you also refinance when or if rates on your vehicle drop? Is new school going all in on debit leverage to the hilt to maximize market investment amounts?

I refinanced my vehicle when rates dropped.

What did you do with the saved money?

Re: Car fund [Re: BigPig] #8396256 09/24/21 07:14 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Bildo
Lots of old school thinking here and although I do appreciate it some purchases are better using other people’s money. Especially with today’s rates. The world is changing. Let your money work for you.

Do you also refinance when or if rates on your vehicle drop? Is new school going all in on debit leverage to the hilt to maximize market investment amounts?

I refinanced my vehicle when rates dropped.

What did you do with the saved money?

Put it away for my next vehicle.

Re: Car fund [Re: BigPig] #8396258 09/24/21 07:16 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Just kidding. I was already throwing a lot of extra money at the car. The refinance took my 5 years left on the loan down to 4 years with about $50 saved on the payment. I just continued to make almost double payments. It’ll be paid off before too long.

Re: Car fund [Re: Judd] #8396259 09/24/21 07:18 PM
B
BigPig Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Judd

I disagree with most of that. Everybody’s situation is different. I know my wife would be trading this payment for another payment if we didn’t pay it off, and she would never stop doing that, she’s done that for the past 15 years. While the interest rates were always low, I can’t add up how much money she has wasted.

Instead of trading a payment for a payment on a vehicle your going to make the same payments to yourself for a vehicle. Got It. Sounds like the same thing to me, if your plan, which you’ve said multiple times, isn’t to build wealth with this money.

Correct. Instead of her trading payments for payments for the next 15 years, that money will go into a separate account until we need to replace one of our vehicles, which hopefully won’t be needed for at least 5 years. If it was up to her, she would go out and buy another $70,000 vehicle and keep it for 2-3 years and repeat the process.
bang

I bet it doesn’t matter and you’ll both have a new car in two years. Put it where ever it’s easiest to get to and let your investments be your investments and this be a fund you’re going to need soon rofl

For the record, your wife and I might be related…it doesn’t matter how nice or how paid off, we get tired of getting into the same box for much more than a year or two. I’m sitting at 18 months and started looking this week grin

I mean, I’ve got my eyes out looking for a truck on air ride, they will be bought from the slush fund though.

Re: Car fund [Re: blanked] #8396376 09/24/21 09:17 PM
J
jrgocards Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by blanked
I never really understood this logic. I can make 15% a year in the stock market compared to a car note is what 4%. Unless your retired i would rather borrow someone elses money for 4% than rob money that makes 15%

With inflation as bad as it is now a money market, cd isnt even going to come close to keeping up

The difference is - Based upon the circumstances they described, they need it in a safe guaranteed account. You can also lose 40% in one year in the stock market. That won't help them when they need another car.

JR

Re: Car fund [Re: Uncle Zeek] #8396403 09/24/21 09:52 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
Wrote the check to pay off the wife’s car 3 years early. Hers is a 2018 with under 60,000 miles, mines a 2014 with 168,xxx miles. The plan is to keep sending her $850 worth of payment into a separate account for a car fund for the next vehicle, whenever that need arises.

I prefer to have this easily accessible, but higher earning than a basic savings account. I don’t want to stick it into our other stocks due to higher taxes (I could be wrong here, I’ve never withdrawn anything from our stocks). Where’s a good place to start putting this money? Money market?

Taxes shouldn't be a concern for stocks in your situation. You'll only pay taxes when you realize gains (or get paid dividends), and as long as you've held the underlying assets for at least a year, you'll pay long-term capital gains rates, which is 0% for most "average" investors (highest rates are 15% and 20% on gains of over $80,800 for a married couple). The concern with stocks is volatility. You might invest your money in stocks only to have them plummet 25-50% in value just when you need to withdraw the cash for that car purchase.

You might wish to look up Scott Burns articles on what he calls the "Couch Potato Portfolio". His financial advice over the years has always been sound.

Capital gains rate is based on income not the amount of the gain itself.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Car fund [Re: Stump_jumper] #8396563 09/25/21 12:06 AM
Uncle Zeek Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by Stump_jumper
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
Wrote the check to pay off the wife’s car 3 years early. Hers is a 2018 with under 60,000 miles, mines a 2014 with 168,xxx miles. The plan is to keep sending her $850 worth of payment into a separate account for a car fund for the next vehicle, whenever that need arises.

I prefer to have this easily accessible, but higher earning than a basic savings account. I don’t want to stick it into our other stocks due to higher taxes (I could be wrong here, I’ve never withdrawn anything from our stocks). Where’s a good place to start putting this money? Money market?

Taxes shouldn't be a concern for stocks in your situation. You'll only pay taxes when you realize gains (or get paid dividends), and as long as you've held the underlying assets for at least a year, you'll pay long-term capital gains rates, which is 0% for most "average" investors (highest rates are 15% and 20% on gains of over $80,800 for a married couple). The concern with stocks is volatility. You might invest your money in stocks only to have them plummet 25-50% in value just when you need to withdraw the cash for that car purchase.

You might wish to look up Scott Burns articles on what he calls the "Couch Potato Portfolio". His financial advice over the years has always been sound.

Capital gains rate is based on income not the amount of the gain itself.

Sorry, should've said "taxable income". Still fuzzy brained from the Kung Flu.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries - but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate, probate & taxes
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 work
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Car fund [Re: BigPig] #8396625 09/25/21 01:08 AM
B
BigPig Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Decided on a parking place for this. A guided account with EJ. Apparently we already have one, I told y’all I’m terrible with investments, and it’s earning 16%. No penalty for withdrawing money, I can have my money within 2 days, gets taxed like a 1099 at the end of the year. Sounds like a win

Re: Car fund [Re: BigPig] #8397134 09/25/21 04:14 PM
B
Bildo Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
There you go

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide