Print Thread
Hog Hunting Tripod Choices? #8340618 08/04/21 01:12 AM
D
Douglas Tipton Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
I hunt hogs and have a light bipod I use but does not hold up on a rapid fire with my AR10 .308. I've looked at m-lock adapters and lightweight camera tripods, bog pods, etc. Looking at weight/durability/functionality/cost balance. Any advice or counsel is appreciated.

Re: Hog Hunting Tripod Choices? [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8340687 08/04/21 02:01 AM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I think it all comes down to what you're willing to spend, and how serious you are about long distance shooting. I use the heavy Bog Pod with a wide body rest, and think it and the Trigger Stix unit are about the best thing going in that price range. The "best" seems to be a carbon fiber tripod, a high end ball head and some form of ARCA Swiss attachment, for which it looks like you can lay down anywhere between $400 and $1200. There is an exhaustive discussion of the options on the Predator Masters forum.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Hog Hunting Tripod Choices? [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8340723 08/04/21 02:40 AM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
For me, I like the Death Grip Bog Pod. Hard to beat the price and it's solid. The only issue with it is the weight, but I'll forgo that due to it's quality.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Hog Hunting Tripod Choices? [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8340808 08/04/21 06:15 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Inorrel on Amazon is what I use and love it. It’s very heavy duty and sturdy. I topped it with a Reaper Grip so I can use it with any rifle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Hog Hunting Tripod Choices? [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8395109 09/23/21 05:54 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I'm a cheapskate, so take that into account.
I acquired a couple of pretty nice camera tripods at a large garage sale organized by a local charity a couple of years ago. You might do okay on Craigslist if you're not in a huge hurry.
Originally I just fabricated a rifle rest to attach to the tripod, but this year I upgraded to a BOG Deathgrip Ultralite mount. It's working out all right for me.

This photo is kind of cluttered, but hopefully it gives some idea of my setup:

[Linked Image]

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Hog Hunting Tripod Choices? [Re: BigPig] #8396039 09/24/21 03:06 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BigPig
Inorrel on Amazon is what I use and love it. It’s very heavy duty and sturdy. I topped it with a Reaper Grip so I can use it with any rifle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Not that I don't love my reaper rest, but you can add an arca plate clamp to tripod and acra plate on rifle.

I have same tripod. run binos and swaro on it already so adding a acra plate to rifle is easy.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hog Hunting Tripod Choices? [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8396057 09/24/21 03:33 PM
C
Crews Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Cheap, light, stable… pick two. It’s a complete waste of time and money to take shortcuts if you’re trying to lock your rifle into a tripod with head. If you want something cheap and light, you are MUCH better off using a tac table with a bag on top, and not locking the rifle in at all. Google image tripod tac table for some examples.

Re: Hog Hunting Tripod Choices? [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8401236 09/29/21 01:07 PM
P
pdotson Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
I got a bog, accidentally dented one of the legs and now it hard to extend. Its adequate for the price but I am sure the more expensive ones are better. The head has some play in it.

Re: Hog Hunting Tripod Choices? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8401914 09/30/21 12:50 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Not that I don't love my reaper rest, but you can add an arca plate clamp to tripod and acra plate on rifle.

I have same tripod. run binos and swaro on it already so adding a acra plate to rifle is easy.

Yes you can, but I find the ARCA rial to be pretty tedious at night and have caused some serious blood blisters on my hands and fingers from getting them between the tripod mount and gun. Too many issues for me to stay with them.

Re: Hog Hunting Tripod Choices? [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8432600 10/28/21 08:13 PM
C
COFF (TFF) Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I am a big fan of the Primos shooting sticks. All three legs deploy and retract with the squeeze of a trigger. Much quicker and quieter than fumbling with all the locks on individual legs. The yoke can be changed out for a rifle rest, or a permanent mount for optics or any of the rifle clamps.

Re: Hog Hunting Tripod Choices? [Re: COFF (TFF)] #8442355 11/08/21 02:17 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by COFF (TFF)
I am a big fan of the Primos shooting sticks. All three legs deploy and retract with the squeeze of a trigger. Much quicker and quieter than fumbling with all the locks on individual legs. The yoke can be changed out for a rifle rest, or a permanent mount for optics or any of the rifle clamps.

I’d be real careful putting any kind of rifle rest other than the Y that comes with it. There isn’t a lot of plastic where the head goes.

Re: Hog Hunting Tripod Choices? [Re: BigPig] #8443929 11/09/21 10:11 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by COFF (TFF)

I’d be real careful putting any kind of rifle rest other than the Y that comes with it. There isn’t a lot of plastic where the head goes.

Big Pig is correct, I tried one with a pig saddle and it wasn't very stable.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Hog Hunting Tripod Choices? [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8446517 11/12/21 05:49 PM
D
Dzhitshard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
"The cheap, light and stable. . . pick 2" comment above is too accurate.

The worst trait of the bog deathgrip tripod imo isn't so much that it is heavy but that it is that loud being aluminum & having those lever locks. Doesn't matter so much if you set height & leave it for the night like and only move through open ground. I normally set my tripod height when gearing up for the night so adjustments being loud in the field isn't too much of an issue but walking through river bottoms and thickets it's really bad. When it's dead quiet out it seems every time a twig slaps it you're at a little league T-ball game. [pingggg]

I've wore out a primos gen3 bipod trigger stick and nearly wore out the tripod version.

They are fantastic tools if you're a guy who lays the rifle up and sends one or 2 shots off on a sounder but if you put a good shooting bind on them to manage recoil and get several shots off they aren't the most durable things around. The bipod yoke pops off now about ever shot & the base is really wobbly.

Several of the cheap chinese twist lock carbon tripods on amazon are pretty decent for what we're doing if you add an arca adapter or one of the saddle rests. I'd be more likely to go that route and pick one that is similarly dimensioned and designed like the more expensive popular models. I bought one of those value models from a big name after I got fed up with the BOG noise. After getting a few different tripod models in my hands I'd almost bet they're all made in the same chinese factory.

FWIW, I too am pretty wore out on arca clamps for night hunting. It usually was pretty easy to mount a gun quick and quiet after getting to a shooting position but every once in a while I would get into a spot where I was ready to bar fight it. I broke down and went to a kopfjaeger on one of my tripods and it turned into the tool I grab most even though it isn't on my best tripod.

Re: Hog Hunting Tripod Choices? [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8464058 12/02/21 01:18 AM
B
Brad Groux Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
For those looking to cut down weight, such as for week-plus long hunts, the Sirui T-024SK VA-5 Fluid Head Carbon Tripod Kit is pricey, but worth it (if you care about weight).

Re: Hog Hunting Tripod Choices? [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8466420 12/04/21 06:28 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I love my primos tripod. I walk and stalk a lot so weight is my biggest issue. If I m walking 5 to 6 miles I do not want something heavy to carry around. My primos does just fine with no issues so far. I dont see it lasting forever but it is so light that I will gladly buy one every few years if I have to. But I havent had to yet.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Hog Hunting Tripod Choices? [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8466795 12/05/21 01:53 AM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Douglas Tipton
I hunt hogs and have a light bipod I use but does not hold up on a rapid fire with my AR10 .308. I've looked at m-lock adapters and lightweight camera tripods, bog pods, etc. Looking at weight/durability/functionality/cost balance. Any advice or counsel is appreciated.

For years and years, I used whatever skinny-legged camera tripod I had on hand. They worked; they were light, they were flimsy, and the legs would tend to collapse at the most inopportune times. Then I got a Death Grip Bog. It works; it's heavy; built like a Russian tank; the legs stay where I set them up until I break them down to move. My only complaint is the weight, but since I don't do a whole lot of walking/stalking style hunting, the weight is not an issue. If anything happened to mine, (like me running over it with the truck or tractor) I would immediately buy another one. Here's a good review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJoQQG-cgLo

Re: Hog Hunting Tripod Choices? [Re: Douglas Tipton] #8470939 12/09/21 09:15 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Look at monopod shooting sticks. They are simple and effective, If you cheap you can make your own. I picked up 2 walking canes at the Goodwill store, a little woodwork and hacksaw work and I had an adjustable height monopod for $5.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide