DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Sniper John
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by redchevy
Wouldn't there also be tax implications for those already invested pulling out?

It either short term gains or long term gains.....or lose

Overwhelmingly retirements are in non taxable accounts. I was referencing moving from stocks to cash within a retirement account like a 401K, IRA, etc. You can pull out of the market into a cash or money market account without withdrawing from the account. I do know someone who in 2008 pulled out of the market within his retirement account. Since 2008 his retirement has been invested 80% to 90% in money market and cash accounts since 2008. I'm not sure he has kept up with inflation that way, but I guess one way to look at it, he has never lost money from a market crash.

I thought where talking market not tax deferred accounts with that said, you can move your 401k to a cash holding with no penalty, you just can't take it out.

I personally wouldnt try to time market with tax deferred accounts but im up 297% on my play account over last three year with simple set buy and sells, via market dips. Grant it it's just two companies but it's pretty large to the point I'm transferring some into funds

This is a great option with some play money, or "gambling" account. I do some of the same thing....trying to buy dips and tops, but I'm not very good at it, Lol.

Majority is just in ETF's because I know they are guaranteed gains long term.

Re: Stock Market Returns? [Re: redchevy] #8395023 09/23/21 04:24 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
More then likely the wife and him have 401ks at their jobs. So he's already in. He is asking about money he has laying around. Lets be honest no one knows whats going to happen, but I would be willing to bet there's gonna be a down turn soon, and thats what I would be gambling on.

He started the thread off by saying he has no stocks and alluded that he doesn't have a 401k (only his parents do). Again, "willing to bet" and "gambling" are not prudent strategies. And if you have a long term horizon, market downturns are part of investing and a sound strategy will rebound over time. If you do think there's a correction coming, you can allocate assets to safer options, or defensive funds/ETFs, or bonds.

I dont know if I left it open for interpretation or not. I thought I had said I dont have any stock/investments outside of my work retirement and 401k. Wife has a significantly better retirement than I do through work, but I do have one, it is an Vanguard but I have no idea what its invested in.

This is just on the side money we have saved over the years that is and probably has been for some time especially as it has grown really financially stupid to let sit in a money market. I would usualy ask my parent about this as I trust them whole heartedly, but they do not have independent investment accounts.

I do not think it was stupid to let it sit in a money market if you are uncertain about how to invest. Measure twice, cut once. You are young. Start researching now on how to invest(which you are.) The way I see it is that you are NOT WAITING for the market to drop, but you are slowly learning what to do. If the market does in fact take a big drop while you are researching, then it would likely be the time to strike.
I did actually stay in a Holiday Inn Express in Graham Sunday night, but besides that im pretty stupid, so factor that in.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Stock Market Returns? [Re: redchevy] #8395034 09/23/21 04:40 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
More then likely the wife and him have 401ks at their jobs. So he's already in. He is asking about money he has laying around. Lets be honest no one knows whats going to happen, but I would be willing to bet there's gonna be a down turn soon, and thats what I would be gambling on.

He started the thread off by saying he has no stocks and alluded that he doesn't have a 401k (only his parents do). Again, "willing to bet" and "gambling" are not prudent strategies. And if you have a long term horizon, market downturns are part of investing and a sound strategy will rebound over time. If you do think there's a correction coming, you can allocate assets to safer options, or defensive funds/ETFs, or bonds.

I dont know if I left it open for interpretation or not. I thought I had said I dont have any stock/investments outside of my work retirement and 401k. Wife has a significantly better retirement than I do through work, but I do have one, it is an Vanguard but I have no idea what its invested in.

This is just on the side money we have saved over the years that is and probably has been for some time especially as it has grown really financially stupid to let sit in a money market. I would usualy ask my parent about this as I trust them whole heartedly, but they do not have independent investment accounts.

Thats how I understood it. Anyway we are kinda in the same position, good thing for you is your still a young buck. The wife and I will be set for retirement if our 401k do what they are supposed to do. We are ready to make investments with our extra money. I don't want all my eggs in one basket so we are gonna go the real estate route. Good on you for not buying a bass boat with that money......lol.

Re: Stock Market Returns? [Re: redchevy] #8395045 09/23/21 04:53 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Do consider a Roth, Edward Jones (or whoever you decide to go with) can get it set up for you. Secondly, you need to invest based on your age. The older you are, the less risk you are probably going to take. When I started my 401k back in the 80's, everything was in small caps, a higher risk category. Now I'm 64 and most of my investments are in safer harbors. I'm missing out on some returns, but in better shape to handle any major downturns in the market.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Stock Market Returns? [Re: redchevy] #8395075 09/23/21 05:20 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I would talk to a financial advisor. I was not impressed with any of the people we talked to at Edward Jones.

I can give you the guy we went with who was a referral from a buddy if you want. He is local in SA

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Stock Market Returns? [Re: Sniper John] #8395089 09/23/21 05:28 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted by Sniper John
Anyone who tells you to wait for a correction to start investing. Ask them if they have pulled all their money out of the market right now to wait on a correction to time the market. If they have done this, then ask them using the S&P 500 index what the unrealized gains they missed out on from the day they pulled their retirement out of the market compared to the S&P500 today.

That is a good point. That type of advice about waiting for corrections sounds too simplistic to me.

I like to use indexed funds that track the market for a good portion of the portfolio.

Last edited by ndhunter; 09/23/21 05:29 PM.
Re: Stock Market Returns? [Re: redchevy] #8395255 09/23/21 08:15 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Edward Jones has done me well over the past few years. Some years we have seen up to 23% gains. I’m in their High Risk accounts due to age. I’ve had some losses this year that we cut ties with and will likely keep me around 16% gains for the year. Oh well, that’s the market, this is nothing but long term gambling with Monopoly money.

Re: Stock Market Returns? [Re: BigPig] #8395286 09/23/21 08:46 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by BigPig
Edward Jones has done me well over the past few years. Some years we have seen up to 23% gains. I’m in their High Risk accounts due to age. I’ve had some losses this year that we cut ties with and will likely keep me around 16% gains for the year. Oh well, that’s the market, this is nothing but long term gambling with Monopoly money.

Exactly how I look at it. I'm not in high risk though due to age. I'm done in 4 years...

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide