Print Thread
Matagorda Island Hunt - Any Info? #8393092 09/21/21 08:02 PM
D
dkershen Online Content OP
Rev Dave
OP Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Did anyone draw the gun either deer tag this year or years past? If so can I get some info on the hunt? It seems like a very primitive hunt, but also pretty interesting. When I signed up and saw that they provided transportation to and from blinds, I assumed that was from Port O'Conner. Bad assumption on my part. You have to have a boat to get to the island... then they take you to and from blinds. And from what I can tell most hunters camp overnight(?).

Again.. appreciate any info, and any leads on someone that could be hired to ferry from Port O to the island and back.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Matagorda Island Hunt - Any Info? [Re: dkershen] #8393707 09/22/21 01:08 PM
S
stinkbelly Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Years ago it was a school bus to the blind. They would stop and point down a mowed strip and say it is down there, good luck, and this one has an alligator.

Re: Matagorda Island Hunt - Any Info? [Re: dkershen] #8394122 09/22/21 06:52 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Stock up on mosquito spray.

Re: Matagorda Island Hunt - Any Info? [Re: dkershen] #8394276 09/22/21 09:20 PM
E
Erny Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
How do you plan on getting to the island?

Re: Matagorda Island Hunt - Any Info? [Re: Erny] #8394284 09/22/21 09:33 PM
D
Rev Dave
OP Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by Erny
How do you plan on getting to the island?

A long cold swim with my rifle sling in my teeth. That or hiring a Port O'Conner fishing guide to run me out and back.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Re: Matagorda Island Hunt - Any Info? [Re: dkershen] #8394741 09/23/21 12:57 PM
G
goosebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
When is your hunt? You might be able to pool with other hunters and get a guide to shuttle you.

Re: Matagorda Island Hunt - Any Info? [Re: dkershen] #8394881 09/23/21 02:40 PM
C
Curbow Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
We went last year and it’s an awesome hunt! Hired a local fishing guide to take us out and pick us up after hunt was over. Camped 2 nights by the docks. No electricity or water at campsite but there is a bathroom. Haul in everything you will need including ice. They have a room for cleaning deer. Transportation is provided to assigned blinds. Be prepared for possible long shots. Prepare for weather and mosquitoes. My son got a decent buck and a doe. We didn’t take fishing gear for downtime but there were fish hanging around the dock. We have been on drawn hunts all over Texas and this was one of our favorites!

Re: Matagorda Island Hunt - Any Info? [Re: Curbow] #8394889 09/23/21 02:48 PM
D
Rev Dave
OP Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by Curbow
We went last year and it’s an awesome hunt! Hired a local fishing guide to take us out and pick us up after hunt was over. Camped 2 nights by the docks. No electricity or water at campsite but there is a bathroom. Haul in everything you will need including ice. They have a room for cleaning deer. Transportation is provided to assigned blinds. Be prepared for possible long shots. Prepare for weather and mosquitoes. My son got a decent buck and a doe. We didn’t take fishing gear for downtime but there were fish hanging around the dock. We have been on drawn hunts all over Texas and this was one of our favorites!

Can I pick your brain on this hunt? Some questions :

Does cleaning station have water and a gantrel or some way to hang the deer?
Assume most people quartered their deer and put in coolers due to the heat?
Would a beach wagon be a good idea to haul gear from docks to camping site?
Was there enough covered picnic tables to go around or do I need to get there early to snag one?
Firewood available?

Re: Matagorda Island Hunt - Any Info? [Re: dkershen] #8395148 09/23/21 06:27 PM
C
Curbow Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Sure except I see you are from Argyle and y’all beat us in State Championship football game last year 😡😁
My son was a freshman on the team. We actually played in Cowboys stadium Friday night, got a few hours sleep then drove down that Saturday morning to hop on the boat for this hunt!

Cleaning station has everything you need. Staff shop has electric and water. Yes we quartered and put in coolers. Beach wagon would be a good idea. We carried a lot of gear about 100 yds. Get there early if possible, our space had no table or roof. We put up tarps to help block wind. Not sure on firewood? We carried a heater but others did build a fire.

Re: Matagorda Island Hunt - Any Info? [Re: Curbow] #8395175 09/23/21 07:08 PM
D
Rev Dave
OP Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by Curbow
Sure except I see you are from Argyle and y’all beat us in State Championship football game last year 😡😁
My son was a freshman on the team. We actually played in Cowboys stadium Friday night, got a few hours sleep then drove down that Saturday morning to hop on the boat for this hunt!

Cleaning station has everything you need. Staff shop has electric and water. Yes we quartered and put in coolers. Beach wagon would be a good idea. We carried a lot of gear about 100 yds. Get there early if possible, our space had no table or roof. We put up tarps to help block wind. Not sure on firewood? We carried a heater but others did build a fire.

Thanks for the added info! Helps my packing. Won't bother to bring in water for cleaning, just drinking because I assume their's is non-potable.

No offense, but we beat pretty much everybody these days. banana2

Re: Matagorda Island Hunt - Any Info? [Re: dkershen] #8413962 10/11/21 02:23 PM
K
Kfog Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
K
my wife and I drew this hunt this year as well. we're looking forward to the hunt

i'll keep an eye on this thread for some more info on the hunt, there doesn't seem to be much info out there online

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide