Print Thread
Generic question #8393530 09/22/21 03:14 AM
D
deerfeeder Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
D
From what I have studied and believe through observation, deer pretty much operate on a roughly 4 hour schedule. The browse for a while, then go lay down to ruminate, and then start browsing again. The question is: Do elk have a similar pattern.

Asking because we just got back from an elk vs pickup wreck. Pickup is totaled and the elk had to be put down by DPS.

Re: Generic question [Re: deerfeeder] #8393650 09/22/21 12:00 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Don't know, but glad you're okay. I had a bull almost step in front of the pickup south of Sheffield, TX, around 8pm (dark). It coulda killed me. He changed his mind with about 1 foot left between him and my right front fender. I would imagine elk have to roam a good bit for enough browse in west Texas, as opposed to the Rockies.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Generic question [Re: deerfeeder] #8393662 09/22/21 12:07 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Yes, glad you are safe

Re: Generic question [Re: deerfeeder] #8393701 09/22/21 01:01 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by deerfeeder
From what I have studied and believe through observation, deer pretty much operate on a roughly 4 hour schedule. The browse for a while, then go lay down to ruminate, and then start browsing again. The question is: Do elk have a similar pattern.

Asking because we just got back from an elk vs pickup wreck. Pickup is totaled and the elk had to be put down by DPS.

Yes, Difference is elk tend to travel more do difference preference in food sources though.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Generic question [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8393711 09/22/21 01:10 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Yes, Difference is elk tend to travel more do difference preference in food sources though.

confused2 I am really disappointed in your response...devastated is more like it..... grin You of all people, the man who whiffed on an elk...elk size target mind you. roflmao Elk are moving right now for what reason? Food or sex? nidea If you said both, I won't argue....well maybe...it is the rut. grin

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Generic question [Re: stxranchman] #8393720 09/22/21 01:20 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by stxranchman

confused2 I am really disappointed in your response...devastated is more like it..... grin You of all people, the man who whiffed on an elk...elk size target mind you. roflmao Elk are moving right now for what reason? Food or sex? nidea If you said both, I won't argue....well maybe...it is the rut. grin

Lol, they do trend to travel greater ranges for food then deer, I also know elk will cycle off ag more then deer will, they will founder more like a cow. Bulls right now are rutting but most are already on cows with satellites mirroring. Even then most bulls are bedded by 9 and then get restless mid afternoon

For the record I didn't miss this year, Dave is one that shot over the back of a bull at 20 yards. I wasn't there so I can't say for sure......

I called in three Bulls in three days and was full drawn once. I needed 6” for a clear vitals shot. Since I'm familiar with elk shoulders I took the side of caution. Not bad for three Days of hunting on essentially OTC Tag

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 09/22/21 01:24 PM.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Generic question [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8393727 09/22/21 01:29 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Lol, they do trend to travel greater ranges for food then deer, I also know elk will cycle off ag more then deer will, they will founder more like a cow. Bulls right now are rutting but most are already on cows with satellites mirroring. Even then most bulls are bedded by 9 and then get restless mid afternoon

For the record I didn't miss this year, Dave is one that shot over the back of a bull at 20 yards. I wasn't there so I can't say for sure......

I called in three Bulls in three days and was full drawn once. I needed 6” for a clear vitals shot. Since I'm familiar with elk shoulders I took the side of caution.

Deflect to Dave on the miss...classic....was he using your rangefinder.....oops my bad...you lost yours rofl Funny you said elk tend to travel more than deer for food. I can remember back in the 60's and 70's that deer in our area of mainly farmland in northern Live Oak county, that it was not uncommon to see deer travel 1.5 miles to 4 miles from their bedding cover to get to winter small grain fields. They made this trip daily, cold or nasty weather they may hold closer to the fields or even in them. They would get to fields at about dark or just after and then would be gone before daylight. Colder temps they may move in before dark or leave after daylight. That is something you don't see anymore.

Re: Generic question [Re: stxranchman] #8393838 09/22/21 02:40 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Deflect to Dave on the miss...classic....was he using your rangefinder.....oops my bad...you lost yours rofl Funny you said elk tend to travel more than deer for food. I can remember back in the 60's and 70's that deer in our area of mainly farmland in northern Live Oak county, that it was not uncommon to see deer travel 1.5 miles to 4 miles from their bedding cover to get to winter small grain fields. They made this trip daily, cold or nasty weather they may hold closer to the fields or even in them. They would get to fields at about dark or just after and then would be gone before daylight. Colder temps they may move in before dark or leave after daylight. That is something you don't see anymore.

I haven't missed this year roflmao
4 miles for an elk is nothing, I've watched that several times as they migrate through alfalfa fields then back up to hill to get roughage. Where the deer just camped out in the middle of the field

Re: Generic question [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8393841 09/22/21 02:43 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

I haven't missed this year..YET but I have not shot yet either roflmao
4 miles for an elk is nothing, I've watched that several times as they migrate through alfalfa fields then back up to hill to get roughage. Where the deer just camped out in the middle of the field

FIFY
grin

Re: Generic question [Re: deerfeeder] #8393843 09/22/21 02:44 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Karma.....

Re: Generic question [Re: deerfeeder] #8393846 09/22/21 02:46 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
As if I have never missed already.....

Re: Generic question [Re: stxranchman] #8393852 09/22/21 02:52 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

You going to tell any one when you miss this year or I'm I just going to get a nasty text message with two cuss words, since I'm now living rent free in your head.

Re: Generic question [Re: deerfeeder] #8393912 09/22/21 03:28 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Sorry to interrupt Bobo and Stx cause i do enjoy their bantering. But, OP, good question but Im curious about the motive behind your question. If you find out that elk have this same 4 hour schedule would that mean you would just drive for 4 hours and then stop? Asking for a friend.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Generic question [Re: deerfeeder] #8393931 09/22/21 03:46 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
What he said^^^

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Generic question [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8393990 09/22/21 04:37 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

You going to tell any one when you miss this year or I'm I just going to get a nasty text message with two cuss words, since I'm now living rent free in your head.

I own my mistakes and misses. Part of life and moving forward. Just like some clown I know that forgot his rangefinder then lost one one day in West Texas.... put that thought in your head on your next hunt...grin

Re: Generic question [Re: Creekrunner] #8394094 09/22/21 06:26 PM
D
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Don't know, but glad you're okay. I had a bull almost step in front of the pickup south of Sheffield, TX, around 8pm (dark). It coulda killed me. He changed his mind with about 1 foot left between him and my right front fender. I would imagine elk have to roam a good bit for enough browse in west Texas, as opposed to the Rockies.

No folks, I was on the ambulance that took the driver to the hospital.

Re: Generic question [Re: Creekrunner] #8394097 09/22/21 06:28 PM
D
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Know where that garden spot Sheffield is. Yep, the road from there down to Dryden is loaded with wildlife and domestic livestock. 285 From Ft. Stockton to Sanderson is also loaded with both at night.

Re: Generic question [Re: stxranchman] #8394508 09/23/21 01:35 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

When I first started reading this response I would have bet my only son that it was a response by colt.45 roflmao

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide