N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Originally Posted by Poppa
i am eligible to go and talked to several "advisors" latley. havent quit the JOB yet. 58 yrs old. thought i was gonna go as soon as possible, then got cold feet.

I've been eligible for a year but I kept hemming an hawing until last Tuesday when I "officially" put in my application. Waiting until after I turn 62 on Dec 29 so I can get an additional 1% bump for life.

Congratulations!

Re: Retirement [Re: booger] #8391030 09/20/21 02:04 AM
T
tex70 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
I'm hoping to be be done somewhere between 58 & 60(51 now) but it depends on how my Roth & taxable account is doing. Also have a decent 401k & plan to take social security at 62. I'm gonna need to catch a few breaks to make this happen

Re: Retirement [Re: booger] #8391190 09/20/21 05:08 AM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
went there the beginning of the year. Will never go back

Big Beckett!!
Re: Retirement [Re: booger] #8391198 09/20/21 05:32 AM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Been retired for 5 years now. The wife couldn't do chair side medical assisting for her eye surgeon any longer, because of her back, and the insurance wouldn't cover required surgery so she pulled the plug at 62. I was 66, so decided to spend all of our time together, for better or worse. Still have a little bit of mortgage to finish and some bills, but every car, truck, RV, and toy SxS is paid for and we do whatever we want when we want.

I miss the work, the friends at work, and daily challenges of getting stuff done at work. Sure is nice not to HAVE to go tho!!

Last edited by Blank; 09/20/21 05:33 AM.

Beer and whiskey, 'cause you can't drink bacon!!
Re: Retirement [Re: booger] #8391206 09/20/21 06:58 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted by booger
Anyone else getting close? Technically I could go out in a year and half but would be a huge cut in salary so I’ll likely hang in there for 3 more.

What’s you reason for staying or going? Every year my retirement salary goes up about 2% .

I retired at 55. I'm 58. I had reached a point I was loosing money to go to work. When inflation catches up and it will, I have other investments to cash in. Retiring early still requires a lot of living within your means and not taking on significant debt.

Retiring is scary as hell initially, but in my case the best thing I ever did. You may find you don't spend as much as before to offset the cut. Everyone's situation is different.

That 2% up every year can become a trap and causes many to stay too long then retire because they had to so left without a quality of life or worse never get to retirement.

My reasons for going was a near death experience that changed my personality and my outlook on life. I worked a stressful physical young man's career and saw too many coworkers stay too long either getting injured or dying before retirement or dying shortly after. I think firefighters live about 8 years less than most on average. I was already living like I was retired, so nothing much changed. But I have lots of interests that don't cost much more than time. Some people don't or have expensive lifestyles though and probably should never retire.

Advice. Even close to retirement and even during continue to invest as much as you can. Educate yourself on investing instead of only relying on others to invest for you. For example any money you might have invested in index funds or mutual funds at the start of the pandemic would have doubled by now. It's never too late. I do the pickers/antique mall thing that takes little of my time and is fun. And I'm good at it. But it's money I don't need now. It's for fun so nearly all profit goes into IRAs and solo 401k that will help later with inflation down the line.

And with that I recommend finding a side job or small business in retirement that is stress free and you enjoy rather than how much it pays and don't let it become income you rely on. You can invest it in pre tax accounts if it starts to take you over a tax threshold.

Until you do retire, control debt, invest as much as you can as long as you can, And if your income is eligible max out a Roth for you and your wife every year while your still working.
Good luck to you

Re: Retirement [Re: booger] #8391211 09/20/21 09:10 AM
T
texfork Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
10 months and counting .

Prayer is the "ultimate" wireless connection .
Re: Retirement [Re: booger] #8391553 09/20/21 04:33 PM
B
BearkatHunter2011 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
So I will be retiring through the ERS system. An annuity pension and social security. Currently 43 this year and can retire in 9 years.......

BUT

I have a 3 year old so that kicks that figure down the road another 19 years - I'll be 62 then

And

at 51, I will only bring home 69% of my top five year salary average. I will need more to live on.

PLUS

I have a pretty cush and fun job right now so I think I will hang in there until I'm 62. At 62, I will have a 92% pension annuity, COULD start drawing social security, and COULD start drawing my 401K.

The only thing that would make me retire at 51 is if someone wanted to pay me 200K a year and I'm not sure I want to work that hard.

Re: Retirement [Re: Blank] #8391704 09/20/21 06:26 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Blank
Been retired for 5 years now. The wife couldn't do chair side medical assisting for her eye surgeon any longer, because of her back, and the insurance wouldn't cover required surgery so she pulled the plug at 62. I was 66, so decided to spend all of our time together, for better or worse. Still have a little bit of mortgage to finish and some bills, but every car, truck, RV, and toy SxS is paid for and we do whatever we want when we want.

I miss the work, the friends at work, and daily challenges of getting stuff done at work. Sure is nice not to HAVE to go tho!!

I also miss the work and friends. I don't miss the office politics and definitely not the commute. I would hate the commute even more now with the construction at I30 and 635. I use to get off 30 at Galloway to take 635 south. Not an option now. Also the traffic between Fate and Rockwall has gotten much worse.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Retirement [Re: Judd] #8392800 09/21/21 03:56 PM
G
Gary Olson Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
We bailed October 2020 because the bs was just getting too deep. I would have retired straight to pension if I had stayed 18 months; wasn't worth it. Instead I now have to wait 26 months. One of us started taking SS at 62 recently.
As if a sign from above, after looking for 3 years, we purchased the retirement mini-farm 3 months before we quit. Pack, ship, move, in on Nov 1 2020.

At first medical was COBRA; that was darn expensive. Now we have Obamacare with a high deductible. My medical is paid for with the pension in 26 months.

The mini-farm was used a summer residence for 5 years by the previous owner; so some cleanup maintenance is required. I have more than enough to keep me busy every single day. I just choose how much work I want to accomplish.

Retire as soon as you can. Millions of Americans are retiring early; companies are going to be desperate to keep you. Try it first for 2 years if you can before looking for employment. Or change to a completely different line of work with minimal responsibility.

Re: Retirement [Re: booger] #8393230 09/21/21 10:21 PM
H
hogwart Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I retired at 63, forced out of my job. Started getting a full pension last year.

Wife gets a US pension. She's from Maryland. Between our two pensions we take in more then I earned when I worked for a living. Nearly $1,000 more a month.

So I get to do what I want when I want. I do wildlife photography, small repairs for people and go fishing a lot. Life is good.

Almost forgot, I started my first business too. I'm an at home manufacturer. I build trail camera mounts, my own design. They aren't making me rich but I am having fun and covering costs. What's not to like.

Last edited by hogwart; 09/21/21 10:23 PM.

Do for yourself as much as you can, eat what nature provides as much as you can. This is the key to sleeping well and living long.
Re: Retirement [Re: deerfeeder] #8393536 09/22/21 03:28 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by deerfeeder
Originally Posted by reeltexan

Could check out tomorrow but a lot of my retired friends are bored and have nothing to do.

I can't do that so I'm hangin' in for a while.

I retired at age 50 with 32 years working for the government. 10 years 9 mos in the USN and over 20 as a Fed LEO. I bailed at age 50, instead of the mandatory 57, because DEA did a survey and found out that the folks who stayed until 57, on average died after 2 years. Well I'm fixin' to be 72 this year and still work a 40 hour, plus week. Why, because I get bored. The 40 is hard some weeks because it's 48 on 72 off. It helps to keep me in ammo, when ammo is available and reasonably priced.

So many of my old coworkers that retired at 60-65 lived a very short retirement. 40 years in would put me at 61, I’m jumping out at 51. With an average life expectancy of 57, I’m hoping to beat that a little bit.

Re: Retirement [Re: booger] #8393563 09/22/21 04:33 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I will never retire, my retirement was taken. I'll work until I'm dead and I'm OK with that. I've made some bad choices in life and I own that.

Hopefully my kids will listen to me and do better.

Re: Retirement [Re: skinnerback] #8393567 09/22/21 04:43 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by skinnerback
I will never retire, my retirement was taken. I'll work until I'm dead. I've made some bad choices in life and I own that.

I hate to hear that. I saw that with several folks at work too. There are several Deputy Chiefs I know who will make half of what I make in retirement because of ex-wives.

Re: Retirement [Re: ntxtrapper] #8393568 09/22/21 05:19 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Originally Posted by skinnerback
I will never retire, my retirement was taken. I'll work until I'm dead. I've made some bad choices in life and I own that.

I hate to hear that. I saw that with several folks at work too. There are several Deputy Chiefs I know who will make half of what I make in retirement because of ex-wives.

I have made a lot of money Sir, doing a job that I was/am good at & enjoy. Been taking home less than 50% for a long time.

Ex Wives are something else, have two of them myself. They love that money and will go from friend to enemy pretty damn quick.

I just made a big old pot of Salisbury steak/gravy with a pot of garlic mashed potatoes and fresh green beans for my loved ones.

Kids ate good, brushed their teeth and went to bed.

They will never hear a bad word from me.

Life is good.

Re: Retirement [Re: booger] #8393569 09/22/21 05:20 AM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I have friends like that. The one said "You can only divide your retirement in half 4 times, and continue to live!!!" Ex-wives can be hell on you!!

Beer and whiskey, 'cause you can't drink bacon!!
Re: Retirement [Re: Blank] #8393570 09/22/21 05:26 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Blank
I have friends like that. The one said "You can only divide your retirement in half 4 times, and continue to live!!!" Ex-wives can be hell on you!!

I envy guys like you Blank. Good on you up

Anyway, back to retirement grin

Re: Retirement [Re: booger] #8393646 09/22/21 11:53 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Am I the only one that loves working? The side benefits can be amazing.

Re: Retirement [Re: Hudbone] #8393670 09/22/21 12:14 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Hudbone

To me there is a huge difference between loving working and loving what you’re working now.

I like working. Love working on several different things. Right now I’m “stuck” in a job that’s moved 200 miles from home and I work between 3-4K hrs/yr... Yes, that’s 4,000 hrs/yr with five weeks vacation! I cut that back closer to 3k but still too much.

My problem is that I can’t replace the income around my home. Six years to retirement on my original plan and not sure I can (or want to) make it six more months....

Burnt out and tired of paying people to fix stuff at home that I easily could do myself were I home to do it. I usually end up fixing it correctly anyway.....

Prime example....sprinkler system froze during the February freeze busting the primary feed line. Paid a guy to fix it. He used the wrong glue and it failed. Called guy number two. He cut all that out and replaced it. This guy didn’t move the valve far enough away from a second primary line so the box no longer fit between the two....oh, and while jamming it in apparently stepped or pushed too hard on the 90 and cracked the bottom....which failed a couple weeks later. My wife asked me if she should call him back....I said what the hell for! I’ll fix it when I can....

I finally was able to get to it a couple months ago. I had everything for the repair except a valve and new glue. $15 and a couple hours fixed correctly....yet these two “professionals” couldn’t do it right in two trips each!

This is the stuff that infuriates me.....

I used to really like my job. It’s changed too much over the past 6-8 years and getting worse at an alarming rate.

Hate to walk on seniority and benefits but my health (mental and physical) is worth more than this crap....

Edit: I know, almost rocket science right? But still no leaks. Maybe I can get it covered back up in the next couple years... roflmao
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Retirement [Re: Hudbone] #8393683 09/22/21 12:33 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
'

'Miss the good customers, good employees, and a large shop where anything can be fabbed and welded up. up I even miss the smell of large truck diesel exhaust. grin Do not miss the jerk customers, problem employees, bankers, liability insurance (and cases), traffic, OSHA documentation, being the Safety "azzhole" (as the guys fondly referred to me as), and one (failed) unionization vote.

Thanks to my early training as a musician, I excel, and can handle well, doing absolutely...nothing.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Retirement [Re: Hudbone] #8393694 09/22/21 12:48 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Yes, quite possibly.

I'm hoping to retire at 57. I absolutely hate working/my job. The next 11 years will be focused on investing, so that when the day comes can fish everyday if I want to. Watch out redfish....

Re: Retirement [Re: booger] #8393695 09/22/21 12:51 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I retired in 09, at 62 years old. Like many of you, I miss the people and social interaction, but I don’t miss the job, stress, and commute. As my brother said, retirement is freedom. He was right.

I should mention that though being retired is great, most folks will need something to do. For me, it’s keeping things working around here, a little tennis, a little woodworking, and hunting.

As for money, everything was paid off when we retired, and life cost a good bit less than I had expected, so money is not an issue.

Next thing up is to get past the gall bladder removal today and get back to enjoying retirement.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Retirement [Re: upsslim] #8393696 09/22/21 12:54 PM
W
WarEagle Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Originally Posted by upsslim
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
Well I don't plan on retiring anytime soon (Oil business is like the mafia, once in you can't get out) but I did decide to draw full Social security about a year ago and that has been a rather frustrating endeavor. 4 attempts to sign up on line with no success, multiple phone calls, hours on hold. Was finally told I had an appointment at the local office and they would send me the date in the next 20 days, that was over 60 days ago and still no response from the Social Security admin. A year later and I'm no closer than I was before I made the first call. The Covid thing has damn near shut down the SS administration, no local offices are open or their by appointment only, no walk ins and no local numbers. The only good thing is the longer they hold out the more they're going to pay.

It might be a good thing you haven't started drawing SS if you plan on still working. When you draw it and still work you will end up paying taxes on part or all of your SS. I retired at 62. After I retired I could make less than $1200 a month. If I made more SS would take $1 for every $2 I made. After age 66 I could make all I wanted but the end of the year I had to pay taxes on a % of my SS. SS will not withhold taxes so that money comes out of pocket. Now I'm fully retired and don't have to worry about all that.
SS will hold taxes out , my tax lady insisted I have them hold out of my check . I started receiving 2 years ago . Better check on it !

Re: Retirement [Re: booger] #8394199 09/22/21 07:41 PM
F
FamousAmos Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I'm retiring at the end of this year. I turned 65 this month.

Last edited by FamousAmos; 09/22/21 07:43 PM.

“And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.”
‭‭Micah‬ ‭6:8‬
Re: Retirement [Re: Hudbone] #8394307 09/22/21 09:50 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

You are in the insurance business like me - I have been at it for 42 years and at age 68 I will keep rolling as long as I can. Lost my right hand assistant this year to breast cancer so it has been a challenge but I still love helping my clients, friends, and family. I could care less at this stage of selling anything - I just enjoy helping my clients any way I can.

I still get to my office around 5-6 am every morning - blessed to have enjoyed my "job" for so many years - sounds like you feel the same

Last edited by tlk; 09/22/21 09:51 PM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Retirement [Re: S.A. hunter] #8394313 09/22/21 09:56 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

Yes, quite possibly.

I'm hoping to retire at 57. I absolutely hate working/my job. The next 11 years will be focused on investing, so that when the day comes can fish everyday if I want to. Watch out redfish....

Exact same thing for me . If I didn’t go back tomorrow I wouldn’t miss a thing. I can get by on a lot less money than my wife so we will see how much longer. I’d love to retire at 60

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide