Forums46
Topics537,785
Posts9,729,128
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: BarneyWho] #8389427 09/18/21 07:08 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Thanks for taking us along through the retelling and pics. Memories that will last the rest of your life. Reading it got me thinking about some of my elk hunts, they are truly magnificent creatures and that bugle up close there is nothing like it though the analogy of an 800lb turkey gobbling in your face does come to mind.

That country West of Trinidad is rugged and beautiful like a lot of our Mountain states. Congrats on getting your bull.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: BarneyWho] #8389472 09/18/21 07:33 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
This could be the best hunt summary I’ve read on the THF

Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: BarneyWho] #8389479 09/18/21 07:38 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
For record, if it talks like a duck, and walks like a duck and sounds like a duck then by definition.... that there is the three stooges. grin I guess I'm going to have to go to your side of the hood to see them there antlers.

Actually congrats to all three of you clowns, I'm impressed no one got tossed off the mountain

But most of all congrats to you. I know how hard you trained every day, (rucking, swimming, biking and eating right!) The amount of dedication you put into preparing for that hunt for past 6 months shows. You earned every hair of that elk!! Congrats again, that one was earned over the years the hard way, and will forever be a great story etched into your memory. It will be always fresh, just like it was yesterday

Congrats again!

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: BarneyWho] #8389562 09/18/21 08:56 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
What a great trip and write up, thank you sir for sharing and congrats on a very nice bull cheers
I seldom stay very interested in long write ups such as this one, yours was a great read from start to finish with wonderful pictures!

Side note:
I am also surprised that what appears to be a first class operation that y'all were with, most of the previous successful hunters would not share their meat for all to enjoy a meal?
I would not hesitate and think or thought it would be second nature for most hunters would gladly share a small portion of their bounty making a great experience even better.

Last edited by Stub; 09/18/21 08:57 PM.

texas flag

Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: Biscuit] #8389721 09/18/21 11:40 PM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by Biscuit
This could be the best hunt summary I’ve read on the THF

I agree!!! Congrats Sir on a mighty fine bull cheers

[Linked Image]
Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: BarneyWho] #8389924 09/19/21 02:54 AM
T
thedoveshooter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Congrats! Great trip for sure!

Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: BarneyWho] #8389999 09/19/21 04:05 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Great recap of a great hunt. It is amazing to see what the results can be when you are using a rangefinder. grin

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: BarneyWho] #8391280 09/20/21 12:47 PM
G
goosebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Great hunt, and awesome story. Felt like I was there.

Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: BarneyWho] #8391343 09/20/21 01:40 PM
K
Ktexas14 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Thank you for sharing, made me forget that I can hardly walk for a little recovering from a knee surgery. Good to live vicariously through the pictures.

Awesome hunt and great writing.

Congratulations!

Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: BarneyWho] #8391663 09/20/21 05:56 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Holy cow what a great hunt, story, and bull!

Congrats big time! up cheers

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: BarneyWho] #8391809 09/20/21 07:49 PM
Wburke2010 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Congrats Russ looks like a hell of a trip.

MW Ranch Services
903-303-4523
Metal buildings, welding, equipment repair, dirt work
Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: BarneyWho] #8391850 09/20/21 08:24 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Wonderful story. Sounds like you more than just punched one of your bucket list on this trip. Congratulations. up

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: BarneyWho] #8391894 09/20/21 09:02 PM
D
Dalee7892 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Just an amazing story. You had my attention and then some, I felt like I was with you on the hunt. What a wonderful experience and a beautiful animal that you harvested.
Thank you again for a wonderful writ up.

Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: BarneyWho] #8391942 09/20/21 09:39 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Z
Awesome write up and a heck of a bull! Congrats!

Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: BarneyWho] #8391954 09/20/21 09:45 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
One of the best write ups I have seen - you need to submit that to a hunting magazine.

Spent many years hunting elk - for me it ranks right up there with whitetail hunting - congrats

You can't fix stupid
Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: BarneyWho] #8392172 09/21/21 12:26 AM
W
Whack n stack Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Great bull and fantastic write up! Thanks for sharing the experience with us!

Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: BarneyWho] #8392740 09/21/21 03:23 PM
P
Panhandler Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Do you mind giving a run down of the type of workouts/diet you used to prepare for this hunt? PM is fine too

Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: BarneyWho] #8392754 09/21/21 03:33 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That's an awesome bull and absolutely beautiful country! You should really consider a second career as a writer - that was a fantastic writeup.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: BarneyWho] #8392759 09/21/21 03:36 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by BarneyWho
Everyone has a bucket list right? I've been very fortunate in life to see and so some cool stuff. I've checked several off my bucket list, but one has stood out and seemed to be my albatross................ELK! I guess that's really not fair. I've passed on several smaller bulls when I started this journey not knowing what I didn't know. Any elk with a bow is a trophy, but in my younger days I was caught up chasing a score. I've since learned as long as the animal is mature and the experience is memorable it's worth of the shot. So, September 7th I set out on a road trip North and West with two great friends to chase my elusive albatross with a bow during the rut for the 6th time. Little did I know just what was in store for me. This trip was going to special regardless if an elk was harvested or not. This particular ranch is pretty close to invite only and has the highest privately owned peak in the US @ over 14,000 feet. I started in January getting ready for the hunt. By the time September rolled around I was down 85 pounds and doing between 40-60 miles a week on the bike and my feet with a pack on. Countless shots thru my bow, but I was confident up to 75 yards. I was like a kid on Christmas when the 7th rolled around.

The 7th we drove to Trinidad, CO to grab dinner, our license, and settle in for the night. We drove into the ranch mid-day on the 8th and were to start our hunt that afternoon after we meet the guides, settled in, etc. On the way to the ranch the main guide called my buddy who hunted the ranch last year stating one of the guides had been sent home testing positive for COVID and the ranch was having everyone tested. You could hear his displeasure over this as well as when he informed us we would have to be tested as well once we entered the ranch. My buddy is a practical joker and said all the guides had a pretty good sense of humor as well. So, we decided to stop off at a hardware store for some tyvek suits and masks to show them just how serious we were about staying safe from the RONA!

[Linked Image]

The guides got a pretty good kick out of it. The best was one of the guides thought the main guide made us put on the suits before we entered the ranch. roflmao roflmao

After getting settled in, we headed off for the afternoon hunt. It wasn't long before myself and my guide had a bull answer a lone bugle. Off the side of the road into the canyon we went. I realized two things right off the bat. 1) my guide was half goat as I about had to sit on my butt to slide down the side of the canyon we were going off in to keep up with him, and 2) I don't care how much you prepare or what kind of shape you are in the thin air at altitude will kick your butt. Anyway, we get into the bull's bubble with the guide 80-100 yards behind me calling. Instantly the bull bugles and here he comes. I can see him about 150 yards out coming to us. Around 80 yards, I can tell he's an immature 6X6. He gets to 22 yards and bugles right in my face. He keeps coming and gets 7 yards from me before he spooks a little I guess from my scent, but stops at 30 yards and bugles several more times. Not 5 minutes in the Aspens and a very cool experience already, but I had been down this road before. I had almost the same thing happen on my first archery hunt when I drew a tag in the Gila. I was wondering if I was going to regret passing this bull, but I wanted a mature bull. We watched the bull ease off while listening to another bull that sounded older head down the canyon to some meadows. We were pinned down by cows, so we couldn't move just yet. Finally we were able to try and climb back out of the canyon to the forest service road the UTV was on to try and get in front of this other bull. Again, I was reminded how my guide was part goat and just how thin the air was. Finally we get to the road, and I watch my guide run 1/4 to 1/2 mile up the forest road to get the UTV. Basically telling me he was tired of waiting on me to get my butt out of the canyon. However, I'm passed the prideful age and was happy to watch him drive up vs trying to keep up with him running up the road. roflmao We race down the road to the meadow, jump out of the UTV, and try to cut the bull off that was bugling headed to the meadow. We end up getting close, but end up in the middle of a herd of elk with another small 6X6 within 80 yards as shooting light is fading. The guide doesn't want to push it blowing the elk out of this canyon as it's our first hunt. Couldn't fault him at all.

[Linked Image]

We were done for the night, but what an experience for the first hunt. I could tell right away having the road system on this ranch was going to be a game changer for the way I was use to hunting elk before. However, don't be fooled. It was still some rough country. Pictures just don't due the beauty nor steepness of these mountains justice. We sleep at around 9000 feet. We would begin hunting around 10,000 feet up to 12,500/13,000 feet at treeline most days.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

good for you

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: BarneyWho] #8392913 09/21/21 05:29 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Great story...very cool experience!

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: BarneyWho] #8392947 09/21/21 06:03 PM
R
RobertY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Super jealous! Elk is next on my bucket list as well. Thanks for the write up. Maybe I missed it, but did you mention the outfitter name? I'd love their info.

Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: Theringworm] #8393998 09/22/21 04:46 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
B
Appreciate all the nice comments. Never really thought of myself as that good of a writer. Glad y'all enjoy it.

Originally Posted by Theringworm
Excellent story. Congrats on the hunt.

Everyone should really thank you. I normally don't post stories, but after readying your Land of Giants thread it inspired me to write this.
up

Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: stxranchman] #8394002 09/22/21 04:46 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Great recap of a great hunt. It is amazing to see what the results can be when you are using a rangefinder. grin

??? what am I missing here? Shot at Dave? roflmao

Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: Panhandler] #8394017 09/22/21 04:59 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Panhandler
Do you mind giving a run down of the type of workouts/diet you used to prepare for this hunt? PM is fine too

Don't mind at all. Pre-Covid I went in for a physical and gasped at how big I had gotten. Long story short I knew I needed to make a drastic change, so I did some research and found a weight loss program. Name of it is Optavia, but it's based around getting your body into ketosis...........ie cutting sugars, carbs, calories to get your body into fat burn. Optavia just makes it easy by buying the fuelings thru them, but in the book the Dr that developed it gives recipes to make your own fuelings without buying theirs. I was on the 5&1 plan. The first time I lost 110-120 pounds.

Then the entire pandemic hit. I went back to drinking alcohol, old eating habits, and stress. I started to put the weight back on. At the end of January this year when I knew I was going on the hunt I started back on the plan, but I didn't follow it religiously like last time. I would enjoy myself on vacation with my family. Meaning I'd eat a few more carbs, have a drink with dinner, eat some ice cream with the kids. However, I didn't do this every night on vacation. Just a few rewards then back on the program when we were back in town.

Once I dropped some weight I started working out this summer. I simply started off by walking. Walk a mile at lunch. Walk a mile at night. I got to were I could walk 4-5 miles/day without hardly breaking a sweat. Once I got my legs and lungs in walking shape, I started biking. Then I started mixing in biking trips with walking after I was done with my pack on my back. I would start with 10 pounds and worked my way up to 60 pounds in my pack. After I was done with biking and walking in the afternoons, I would get in the pool to cool off and stretch. After I stretched, I would swim laps. I got to where I was doing 50-60 miles a week on the bike and my feet.

Physically I felt great on the trip, but I don't care what you do here in Texas. You can't prepare for the lack of oxygen at altitude. It took me 3 days before I ever felt like I could get a good breath of air.

Re: Finally punched a Bucket List Item [Re: RobertY] #8394020 09/22/21 05:00 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted by RobertY
Super jealous! Elk is next on my bucket list as well. Thanks for the write up. Maybe I missed it, but did you mention the outfitter name? I'd love their info.

I didn't mention it, but here you go.

Timberline Guides and Outfitters

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide