Page 1 of 2 1 2
Do you over scope? #8384882 09/14/21 02:22 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Do you really need a Swarovski Z8i 2.3-18x56 - 4A-I 68401 to hunt deer on 200 acres in East Texas? rofl I sighted in a buddy's rifle yesterday. The scope cost 8x what the rifle cost. I have to say it is nice. I might get me one. I need to by a .50 BMG first.

Last edited by hook_n_line; 09/14/21 02:29 PM.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Do you over scope? [Re: hook_n_line] #8384940 09/14/21 03:05 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Nope
I just cannot see spending that kinda jack on a rifle scope...EVER!

You can get a really nice and reliable piece of glass for $1k or less

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Do you over scope? [Re: hook_n_line] #8384944 09/14/21 03:08 PM
S
supersixfour Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
For my patch of East Texas a Leupold 2-7 with a plain old duplex reticle works just fine.
In answer to your question, yes many do over scope based on the range and conditions they will be shooting in.

NRA Life Member

Re: Do you over scope? [Re: hook_n_line] #8384956 09/14/21 03:18 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Lot's of opinions here. I tend to look at it from a dollars and cents perspective.

My thoughts are that scopes depreciate. A three or four year old scope will get you 50% of it's original cost. A ten year old scope is close to worthless. The reason they depreciate is that the technology is always getting better and eventually is "dated" compared to new versions.

Conversely rifles typically retain most of their value and will appreciate over time.

So.. my rule of thumb is never spend more than the cost of the rifle on a scope. I sometimes only spend 50% of the cost of the rifle on glass if I find a good deal. In ten years the gun will still shoot great but you'll be wanting to upgrade the glass. Just my 2cents

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Do you over scope? [Re: hook_n_line] #8384965 09/14/21 03:30 PM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
As I've gotten older, I find that more expensive scopes help me stay in the game." Three eye surgeries in the last 3 years have cost me a lot in terms of visual acuity, so my early morning, late evening vision if quite poor and my night vision is really bad. The difference in clarity on the couple of high dollar scopes I use is remarkable. But I agree: if you're still young enough to have the eyes of an eagle, don't use your money for expensive glass; pour it into high quality firearms instead.

Re: Do you over scope? [Re: mikei] #8384973 09/14/21 03:42 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by mikei
As I've gotten older, I find that more expensive scopes help me stay in the game." Three eye surgeries in the last 3 years have cost me a lot in terms of visual acuity, so my early morning, late evening vision if quite poor and my night vision is really bad. The difference in clarity on the couple of high dollar scopes I use is remarkable. But I agree: if you're still young enough to have the eyes of an eagle, don't use your money for expensive glass; pour it into high quality firearms instead.

I didn't even think about the guy having eye sight problems, but in that case it does make sense.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Do you over scope? [Re: hook_n_line] #8384979 09/14/21 03:50 PM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
As is with most hunting purchases, it is not a matter of need, but want. Plenty of deer got killed before any of these fancy optics were on the market. I killed a pile of deer with a cheap Simmons Whitetail Classic scope on my old .270. My grandpa had a Tasco fixed 4X scope on his .30-30, and I’m guessing he killed a couple semi loads of deer with that rifle.

Re: Do you over scope? [Re: hook_n_line] #8384982 09/14/21 03:51 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Different scopes for different folks.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Do you over scope? [Re: hook_n_line] #8384986 09/14/21 03:53 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Yes for me. I hunt from smaller thicker place to more wide open terrain. I went with more scope than I needed due to the fact it allowed my to not need to carry a spotting scope when walking or stalking. I use my binos vast majority of the time to spot deer and then use my spotter. I have used the spotter only to look for deer at times. Now with the larger scope I can just carry my rifle and binos and not need the spotter. I have 6.5x20 and 5x30 scopes on my 2 primary rifles. 65 yr old eyes and Lasik surgery 21 yrs ago make you appreciate good and higher X glass in low light or last light conditions. The higher magnification scope has saved me a lot of wasted time and steps after finding a deer with 10x.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Do you over scope? [Re: dkershen] #8385001 09/14/21 04:05 PM
pertnear Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Originally Posted by dkershen
Lot's of opinions here. I tend to look at it from a dollars and cents perspective.

My thoughts are that scopes depreciate. A three or four year old scope will get you 50% of it's original cost. A ten year old scope is close to worthless. The reason they depreciate is that the technology is always getting better and eventually is "dated" compared to new versions.

Conversely rifles typically retain most of their value and will appreciate over time.

So.. my rule of thumb is never spend more than the cost of the rifle on a scope. I sometimes only spend 50% of the cost of the rifle on glass if I find a good deal. In ten years the gun will still shoot great but you'll be wanting to upgrade the glass. Just my 2cents

Excellent - makes perfect sense!

I don't hunt in the deep woods where high magnification is worthless. These days most of my deer hunting is as a guest usually looking for culls or identifying "good bucks" for the land owner. My deer rifles wear varmint scopes so I can study heads & bodies very carefully. Last good buck I shot in South TX was at 180 yds & my scope end up at 14x. The previous year on a similar shot my scope was left on 6x. To each his own.

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” - George Orwell
Re: Do you over scope? [Re: hook_n_line] #8385005 09/14/21 04:08 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Yes, I am sure that people do overscope for hunting often. By overscope, I mean too much zoom, too much emphasis put on paralax adjustment, exposed turrets, and amount of elevation adjustment. I have been getting into long range competitions, and the scopes that I put on those rifles would be WAY overscoped in that aspect for hunting east Texas. It would NOT be overscoped as far as glass is concerned.
Conversely, I am sure that they UNDER scope more often. I used to buy and use only cheaper scopes. Since I have been shooting the competitions, and have been introduced to really good glass, I have realized how much the glass on those cheap scopes absolutely suck. I never realized it before, but now I do. For a hunting rifle out to about 250-300 yards, spend money on glass.

Re: Do you over scope? [Re: pertnear] #8385013 09/14/21 04:23 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by pertnear

I don't hunt in the deep woods where high magnification is worthless. These days most of my deer hunting is as a guest usually looking for culls or identifying "good bucks" for the land owner. My deer rifles wear varmint scopes so I can study heads & bodies very carefully. Last good buck I shot in South TX was at 180 yds & my scope end up at 14x. The previous year on a similar shot my scope was left on 6x. To each his own.

If you step into high end rifle scopes, they do not lose that much value. Some will bring 70-80% of their new coat ten years later. Optics are in investment. They are so important to me, and so good, I do not have one on every rifle. My 7 Rem Mag sits in the vault most of the year with no scope on it. To me it is very appropriate to have a rifle scope that costs more than the rifle. Even double is fine. Reason being, there are a whole lot of $500 rifles out there that shoot very well. Once you get to use very good glass, and controls that do exactly as their told, every time, and tolerate years of use without breaking, you are spoiled forever.

In heavy woods, you do need a low bottom end. In open country having a high top end is very helpful, if you're going to shoot some distance. But in any case, you will love having very clear glass. All day, and especially the last 5 minutes of legal light it is a huge help.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Do you over scope? [Re: J.G.] #8385060 09/14/21 05:18 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Originally Posted by pertnear

If you step into high end rifle scopes, they do not lose that much value. Some will bring 70-80% of their new coat ten years later. Optics are in investment. They are so important to me, and so good, I do not have one on every rifle. My 7 Rem Mag sits in the vault most of the year with no scope on it. To me it is very appropriate to have a rifle scope that costs more than the rifle. Even double is fine. Reason being, there are a whole lot of $500 rifles out there that shoot very well. Once you get to use very good glass, and controls that do exactly as their told, every time, and tolerate years of use without breaking, you are spoiled forever.

In heavy woods, you do need a low bottom end. In open country having a high top end is very helpful, if you're going to shoot some distance. But in any case, you will love having very clear glass. All day, and especially the last 5 minutes of legal light it is a huge help.

For you, it is quick and easy to change a scope from one rifle to a different rifle. You just go out to your front yard, and re-zero. Most people don't have that luxury. I have to mount it, then go to a range and zero. (the closest range over 100 yards is over an hour away from me) If I find an issue at the range, I have to go home, fix the issue, then go back to the range. For most people, it does not make sense to move scopes often. Otherwise, I can't disagree.

Re: Do you over scope? [Re: unclebubba] #8385085 09/14/21 05:45 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Very true.

In the case of my 7 Rem Mag example. 9 months out of 12, it isn't wearing a scope. The one that I move over to it, I have moved before, and taken notes. Both rifles shoot very well. With a turreted scope it is very easy. Up or down X number of Mils (or MOA) right or left X number of Mils (or MOA) based on the last time it was moved. I will never suggest just making the adjustments and NOT shooting, absolutely shoot to verify. However, if there is an error it is very small.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Do you over scope? [Re: hook_n_line] #8385094 09/14/21 05:53 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Ive used a 2.5 x 8 vx3 Leupold for a very long time and I like it. I dont shoot over 250ish. However, yall got me wondering. I havent shot a deer with a rifle since 2012(just REAL picky) and I have noticed when sighting in each year that my eyes are having much harder time seeing the target. I may need to point my rifle at a deer at 250 and see what I see. I may need to go to like a 3x12 or 15. Kinda hard to get an old guy to change, unless I just cant see good enough any longer. If I do buy a new scope, it wont have one of those fancy turret thingys on it.
To answer your question, Im pretty sure Im not over scoped.

Last edited by freerange; 09/14/21 05:54 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Do you over scope? [Re: hook_n_line] #8385095 09/14/21 05:55 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I bought a Leupold 3x9 VXII with a 40 mm objective 20+ yars ago for $199. I dont know what it would be worth today, but I doubt it lost 50% of its value?

Most of the scopes I have bought recently are way overkill for the hunting I do. I like to shoot them when Im not hunting sometimes too though.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Do you over scope? [Re: hook_n_line] #8385217 09/14/21 08:28 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I have four main deer hunting rifles. I am a trophy hunter and my deer rifles are set up to suit my priorities.
One wears a 2-7 Leupold
Two wear 2-10 Swarovski’s
The fourth wears a 4-12 Swarovski
All have fairly bold simple duplex reticles

None have exposed turrets. All are good in very low light. The Swarovski’s resolution of detail and low light performance is outstanding. They are simple, hold zero, and take me out to 400 yards which is all I need to hunt deer.

I use binocs or a spotting scope if I’m looking for game. The rifle does not get pointed at anything I don’t plan to shoot. If I do point the rifle at an animal I often shoot it PDQ. I don’t think I am under or over scoped.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 09/14/21 08:38 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Do you over scope? [Re: hook_n_line] #8385238 09/14/21 08:54 PM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

I don't but a lot of people do. There is no harm in it as long as your bottom magnification is low enough and you pay attention to the power setting. People tend to miss when a fast shot presents itself and they have the magnification dialed up too high.

Re: Do you over scope? [Re: hook_n_line] #8385562 09/15/21 02:35 AM
D
Davis300 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I’m definitely in the “older I get, the worse my eyes get” group. Vortex makes a solid scope for a reasonable price in my book.

Re: Do you over scope? [Re: hook_n_line] #8386286 09/15/21 09:57 PM
F
fishbait Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
F
Since 1966 I have hunted with a 30-06 and a 4x Weaver...now how's that for over scope...lol..I had a buck at 10 feet away...one of the hardest shots for me..lol Now that I'm aging ...I may have to get a better scope as I am having trouble focusing.

Re: Do you over scope? [Re: hook_n_line] #8386327 09/15/21 10:38 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I run a 2.5-10 I can hunt most of the state, have a different rifle with a 6-18 if I need 300+ yards.

Re: Do you over scope? [Re: hook_n_line] #8386339 09/15/21 11:07 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
I have never been in a hunting situation where a 3x9 wasn't sufficient. If 9x isn't enough then I need to get closer. It is called hunting, not sniping.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Do you over scope? [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8386465 09/16/21 12:56 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
It is called hunting, not sniping.

I like that…
roflmao

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Do you over scope? [Re: hook_n_line] #8386499 09/16/21 01:23 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I’d rather have to much and not need it than need it and not have it. My rule of thumb has always been spend at least or more on the glass than the gun because if you can’t see it you sures hell can’t shoot it. I’ve killed plenty with an old 3X9 but the new glass is so clear compared to that old timey crap why would I still want to. Low light ability with the higher end glass is a game changer as far as I’m concerned and worth the price of admission.

Re: Do you over scope? [Re: hook_n_line] #8386592 09/16/21 02:25 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Given the average hunter's shooting skills, using an expensive, high-end scope can be akin to a women using a designer purse to carry $5 and some change. And like the purse that somehow makes a woman feel rich, it's the feeling of being an immediate sniper that often goes with a high-end scope.

As a Midwest hunting guide once wrote,"When a hunter shows up with a fancy rifle and expensive scope, I know the trip is to likely to include a lot of four-letter words and missed opportunities. However, it's when a guy shows up with a well worn rifle and fixed-power scope that I can rest assured there will be meat to pack."

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/16/21 02:37 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide