Print Thread
Any one else seeing this? #8379708 09/09/21 02:56 PM
V
Vern1 Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
V
Over the last two or three weeks, we have seen lots of newborn and very young/small fawns in the area.
We were traveling Highway 86 Northeast of Luling about 3am Monday morning and saw at least a dozen more of them.
There has been decent rain and lots of grass in the area this year so it's not lack of food.

Did the long and heavy freeze we had this year delay their birth or cause does to lose their first fawn?

EDIT: Game Warden friend just PM'd me and said there was a late rut after bad weather.

Last edited by Vern1; 09/09/21 02:59 PM. Reason: more info

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Any one else seeing this? [Re: Vern1] #8379717 09/09/21 03:05 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by Vern1
Over the last two or three weeks, we have seen lots of newborn and very young/small fawns in the area.
We were traveling Highway 86 Northeast of Luling about 3am Monday morning and saw at least a dozen more of them.
There has been decent rain and lots of grass in the area this year so it's not lack of food.

Did the long and heavy freeze we had this year delay their birth or cause does to lose their first fawn?

EDIT: Game Warden friend just PM'd me and said there was a late rut after bad weather.

Wait...a late rut as in Late Feb?!?

Re: Any one else seeing this? [Re: unclebubba] #8379720 09/09/21 03:06 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by unclebubba

It can happen. Especially coastal and Stx

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Any one else seeing this? [Re: Vern1] #8379722 09/09/21 03:08 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
If the doe isn't bred she will be ready every 28 days.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Any one else seeing this? [Re: Vern1] #8379791 09/09/21 04:14 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
I've gotten several very small fawns on camera in the last month on our Schleicher county lease.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Any one else seeing this? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8379817 09/09/21 04:39 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

But He's in the panhandle?

Re: Any one else seeing this? [Re: unclebubba] #8379822 09/09/21 04:45 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

But He's in the panhandle?

Doe fawns where he is located(he stated Luling) at are born early enough and get big enough body weight wise to breed. It happens all over the state when doe fawn are born under good range conditions. My first year managing a ranch in South Texas when I killed 100 does that fall, we found 2 1.5 yr old does that were lactating and had produced fawns. I have a friend in Tom Green county that has fawns born in early to mid May, he used to TTT off does to move to other ranches and he found that just over 40% of his 1.5 yr old does that were caught in Feb-March were bred. Back in the late 90's I watched 2 buck in early March chasing a doe yearling inside a feed pen. Wet cold front and they were on the doe yearling that was in heat. Seen the same thing in Colorado county when I found two bucks locked up and dead from fighting the first week in March. In Kendall County I found new fawns as early as April 5th one year and every year around April 25 give or take a few days. I always found yearling does we killed in late season that were bred.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide