Print Thread
Parker or Universal Cocking Device #8373746 09/03/21 04:15 PM
H
Huskerron Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
Getting too old for this. Getting ready for archery antelope with crossbow. I have two older Parker Crossbows. After a day at the range getting both sighted in, my back is killing me (I'm 72) from drawing them back with a rope cocker. Parker made a Sidewinder Cocking Device that allows you to crank it back. Problem is Parker went out of business. Looking for either the Parker Sidewinder or does anyone know of a universal solution that would allow me to crank my string back rather than pull it with my back.

Re: Parker or Universal Cocking Device [Re: Huskerron] #8373841 09/03/21 06:18 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
I had to look for it a bit but hopefully this is the place you are looking for. I have an old Parker as well that I could use a part or two on. It does show they still have sidewinders. I knew someone bought Parkers parts inventory when thy closed.

https://www.ridgemontoutdoors.com

https://www.ridgemontoutdoors.com/product-page/red-hot-sidewinder-crank-cocking-device-1

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Parker or Universal Cocking Device [Re: Huskerron] #8373845 09/03/21 06:22 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
The Sidewinder does not work quite like their description says you have to put the sidewinder string between the hooks back on the groove at the back just like it were a cocking rope. But the sidewinder does work. Everyone I sold one to when i was doing that kind of work I made sure they knew the correct way to use it before they left the shop.

Re: Parker or Universal Cocking Device [Re: Huskerron] #8373949 09/03/21 08:23 PM
H
Huskerron Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
Thanks kmon. I figured you might know the answer. 9/15 on the goat hunt. I’m already packed.

Re: Parker or Universal Cocking Device [Re: Huskerron] #8374030 09/03/21 09:40 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Good luck on the hunt, take lots of pictures but mostly have lots of fun.

Re: Parker or Universal Cocking Device [Re: Huskerron] #8374057 09/03/21 10:08 PM
H
Huskerron Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
You must’ve hunted archery antelope before. Kind of feast or famine. But you’re right. The main thing is to have fun. Thanks again.

Re: Parker or Universal Cocking Device [Re: Huskerron] #8374334 09/04/21 03:14 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
I have hunted them with rifle, got to add a tag a few times on rifle elk and deer hunts in Montana. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Re: Parker or Universal Cocking Device [Re: Huskerron] #8378802 09/08/21 05:55 PM
H
Huskerron Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
Thanks for the research, Kmon. i went ahead and ordered it today. I have a Tornado and a Hammer 325. I hope it works on both.

Re: Parker or Universal Cocking Device [Re: Huskerron] #8378837 09/08/21 06:30 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
I had a sidewinder for my Tornado for a while but gave it to my Brother-in-law that needed it a lot more than I did. The sidewinder should work on both of those.

Re: Parker or Universal Cocking Device [Re: Huskerron] #8379721 09/09/21 03:07 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Huskerron just make sure you can use that type of cocking device in the state you're going to, Wyoming requires a self cocking device much like what you have now I believe.

Sure hate to see a good man get in trouble over something so small.

Re: Parker or Universal Cocking Device [Re: Huskerron] #8379727 09/09/21 03:11 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Actually Huskerron I am wrong.
WG&F removed that hand cocked language from their regs, you are good to go up here too.

Good luck where ever you are hunting !

Re: Parker or Universal Cocking Device [Re: Huskerron] #8380019 09/09/21 08:10 PM
H
Huskerron Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
Thanks for the heads up. Hunting in different states has taught me to be sure and read the regs if I’m hunting in another state. Just from Nebraska to Iowa for upland taught me just how different they can be. I can manage the rope cocker on a hunt and probable won’t be bothered with the crank. The back issue for me really only came into play when I cocked each crossbow about 10 times each. If I’m hunting from a treestand, the crank would also come in handy from a safety perspective.

Re: Parker or Universal Cocking Device [Re: Huskerron] #8382120 09/11/21 07:29 PM
H
Huskerron Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
USPS delivered the Sidewinder today. It fits both the Hammer and the Tornado. Just used it on the Hammer. Works like a charm. I should've bought one when Parker closed out but didn't until the back issues. Thanks a million, Kmon. Matt at Ridgemont Outdoors is a pleasure to work with. I think I order it on 9/8 and it arrived today. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them at all going forward. Good folks I didn't buy it when Parker folded because it was kind of pricey. It probably cost me a little more than back then but not much. To the gentleman who's wife is having trouble drawing her Parker, this is a great way to go. Only drawback I would see is there are clicks as you ratchet it back. Depending on the situation, that could be an issue but I've never used a crank. Maybe they all do. This will solve my back issues when shooting at range and also will allow me to not have to get down out of a treestand to draw my crossbow back.

Last edited by Huskerron; 09/11/21 07:32 PM.
Re: Parker or Universal Cocking Device [Re: Huskerron] #8390335 09/19/21 03:42 PM
H
Huskerron Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
Ok. Back from the antelope hunt. Not sure where to post but here is both the final review on an add on cocking device. There are several different brands but I am going to guess that my experience with the Parker is much the same as with others (add on not built in to crossbow). Kind of depends on your situation but my review is based on: you can draw it back but back strain occurs quite easily if you're in a long duration range session (10 to 20 drawbacks let's say). In the case of that long duration range session, the Sidewinder is a Godsend. No pain that night or next day. They work well but they are kind of a pain to set up. Normal hunting situation: spot and stalk or groundblind.. They are a pain if you are in a hurry. If you're looking at an antelope a long ways away that you are planning a stalk on, you are probably going to use your rope cocker if you're only going to [censored] it once and want it in a hurry. If you were hunting out of a treestand, where safety is a concern with a rope cocker, you would probably use the Sidewinder so you wouldn't have to get down. Glad I have it but I won't be carrying it in a holster or vest until I absolutely need it to [censored] the crossbow.

The antelope hunt. Up here in Nebraska, the rut was just starting through Friday of this week. Cruising satellite bucks. Herds of does with dominant bucks. Finally Friday I saw a herd buck chase a little buck west into the sunset. Smaller bucks came in to decoys but were intimidated and ran off. They would check it out but not come in. Huge alfalfa field under a pivot where I hunt. Normally at least one herd of antelope on it every day. Lucky to see one antelope a day. Two issues may have contributed to that. Two coyotes that thought they were top of the food chain mousing along edge of this field in broad daylight. MZ started there this Saturday. I believe one of them now realizes that a 50 caliber MZ leaves a tremendous mark. Harvest activity beginning up here and silage trucks going down bordering road about 20 loads a day. Decided spot and stalk back up in the hills in the pasture might give better luck. Several spot and stalk opportunities but no closure. Prairie/Forest Fire going about 25 miles east. I think it's under control now. I have a friend that's going next weekend. I'm guessing he should hit it about perfect. Man does the wind blow up there. I have learned to use tent stakes up there. 7 stakes in one of my blinds. Found it Friday morning about 100 yards south lanced by a plow. I'm thinking some Gorilla Tape might fix it or it or I may just toss it if I figure the fix won't hold. No goat this year but got one last year. Fun just to be out there though. May go back in a couple of weeks after it doesn't feel like an Indian sweat lodge in those tents.

Last edited by Huskerron; 09/19/21 03:45 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide