Page 1 of 2 1 2
Need some hog hunter opinions #8376938 09/07/21 12:19 AM
N
notamtchance Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
N
On a new lease this year with lots of hogs. Needing to thin them out. So in yalls opinion "What is the best solar powered hog feeder light?". Would like high end and low end, also any reviews you would like to share.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: notamtchance] #8376962 09/07/21 12:35 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Your not gonna thin anything out with feeder lights. If your having hog issues pen your feeders and problem is solved.

Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: notamtchance] #8377004 09/07/21 01:09 AM
N
notamtchance Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
N
The land owner wants then shot as much as possible and I have no problems with doing so. They haven't messed up any of my feeders because they are staked down. When I can afford one I will be getting a hog trap.

Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: notamtchance] #8377081 09/07/21 02:05 AM
D
diablodog Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
D
Go to Walmart's garden section . They have several different types and lumen rated solar lamps . Some are colored light , some white light . They are cheap . Two of the big ones will run about all night and are good enough for 200 yard shots with good optics . Pigs get used to them quick . I have some that are still going strong after 4 years .

Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: notamtchance] #8377188 09/07/21 03:27 AM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by notamtchance
The land owner wants then shot as much as possible and I have no problems with doing so. They haven't messed up any of my feeders because they are staked down. When I can afford one I will be getting a hog trap.

Penning your feeders isn't to protect the feeders from the hogs, LOL. Penning your feeders is to keep the hogs from getting to the corn under the feeders. You do that by putting a large-ish pen around them via hogwire or cattle panels...so that deer can hop over, but hogs cannot get in and eat the corn.

The feeders ARE part of the problem with hogs on the property. You are attracting hogs to the property by running feeders that hogs can access.

So you have feeders and you want to shoot hogs out from under the feeders at night be putting a light on the feeder. Great. You shoot one, maybe two hogs (if you are lucky). As noted, you won't be thinning out the herd, at least not in any sort of notable sense like that. Basically, by feeding hogs with a feeder and shooting them singly under the light, all you have done is make it more likely you can shoot a pig once in a while, but at the cost of actually growing the hog population by providing them with food. You are engaging in managed hunting, not population control.

You would be better of either not running feeders or penning your feeders as suggested, then buying something like a Sightmark Wraith and hunting hogs as they show up.

Otherwise, diabblodog has the right idea for your query. You can also try running multiples of lights and lighting up larger areas around the feeder, primary entry/egress trails, etc. and maybe get a chance at additional hogs

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: notamtchance] #8377287 09/07/21 11:19 AM
O
Old Stony Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I have used security lights from Harbor Freight for years. They normally run 20-25 bucks and will light up things just fine to shoot hogs. I normally put one on a 2x6 so they will set up about 5 ft. or so from the ground and they are solar powered and just come on when they detect movement. I have some out that have worked just fine for years, and it only takes 4 screws to hold the light and charger on the board.

Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: notamtchance] #8377511 09/07/21 02:52 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

The landowner isn’t very bright. Pen the feeders the hogs leave his property minus the ones passing through and the ones foraging. By having un-penned feeders your just inviting more to make permanent residence on the property. He is literally saying he hates hogs shoot as many as you can but at the same time attracting the hogs onto to property at the same time.

Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: SapperTitan] #8378017 09/07/21 10:43 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by SapperTitan

The landowner isn’t very bright. Pen the feeders the hogs leave his property minus the ones passing through and the ones foraging. By having un-penned feeders your just inviting more to make permanent residence on the property. He is literally saying he hates hogs shoot as many as you can but at the same time attracting the hogs onto to property at the same time.

Not every situation is a simple as you and Brian propose.There are instances owing to topography and other features of the land that 'naturally' make it attractive to hogs or tend to funnel them through an area. It is NOT intrinsic that feeders are 'attracting' the hogs, though it IS true it tends to hold them. That might not be a bad thing depending on what the land owner wants to accomplish.

I will use my own property as an example. It is about 3/4 wooded area (pines, hardwoods) the rest is pastureland. I purposely keep several bait sites running year 'round back in the woods to keep the hogs from coming out and foraging in the pastures.The damage they do is horrendous. I shoot hogs from those baits sites but also trap in the same area. Whether I fed the hogs or not....I will ALWAYS have them because of the location of my property, the water sources, the food sources and bedding areas. I've been doing this for 30 years and for most part been successful in keeping the hogs back in the woods where I can deal with them. There is such a thing as 'concentrating' the hogs you already have.

You'd no doubt be inclined to suggest that I am perpetuating the hog problem? Well you'd be wrong. Just stopping the feeding (corn) will NOT result in the hogs 'just up and leaving' in every circumstance and to suggest otherwise tells me a person hasn't given much thought to different situations or doesn't know their A$$ from page 8 about hogs and their habits.

But you would be right about one thing....you can NOT shoot yourself out of a hog problem. Trapping is the most effective method on most properties. Shooting is just another way to supplement the battle on them.

Last edited by flintknapper; 09/07/21 10:45 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: notamtchance] #8378181 09/08/21 01:25 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

^^^^^
Yes.

You'll never shoot your way out of a hog problem. Trapping (when done carefully) can remove a good number of hogs and I'd recommend you work you way towards that goal.

Also, study NOW on what and what not to do (with respect to the type of trap used and the area it will be used in). It's fine to shoot hogs, in fact its good to use all the tools at your disposal.

Just depends on what your goals are (be realistic) and how much time/money you can devote to it. Some efforts are nothing more than 'feel good' exercises that really do little to reduce the numbers long term. Others (when combined) can indeed put a dent in them. But a lot depends on the size of the property, if neighboring properties are doing their part, etc....

Most folks are just 'harassing' the hogs and 'swapping them with the neighbors'. In some situations maybe that's all that is needed (short term). But actually taking enough hogs to make a noticeable difference...will require no small amount of effort and stealth on your part.

Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: notamtchance] #8378210 09/08/21 01:50 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Of course, nobody has ever trapped their way out of a hog problem, either on a low fence property, either.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 09/08/21 02:03 AM.

Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: notamtchance] #8378372 09/08/21 04:40 AM
N
notamtchance Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
N
Listen guys I am not stupid when it comes to how prolific the problem with hogs is. The property I lease is only 79 acres and low fenced. No matter how I feed with or without a feeder pin they all come and go off the property. They go from one side to the other side unto the niebers property. One of the properties from what I understand feed year around without pens and no one hunts it except during deer season. On the other side they also feed year around without pins, but like to hunt the hogs. So the owner is stuck in the middle. The property is a little over a 2 hour drive from my house, so I can't make it out there all the time and he doesn't live there full time yet. So we are just trying to do what we can. That is why I ask for feeder light suggestions and not a lecture on how to get rid of the hogs off the prooerty. Thanks in advance.

Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: notamtchance] #8378598 09/08/21 02:33 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Listen guys I am not stupid when it comes to how prolific the problem with hogs is. The property I lease is only 79 acres and low fenced. No matter how I feed with or without a feeder pin they all come and go off the property. They go from one side to the other side unto the niebers property. One of the properties from what I understand feed year around without pens and no one hunts it except during deer season. On the other side they also feed year around without pins, but like to hunt the hogs. So the owner is stuck in the middle. The property is a little over a 2 hour drive from my house, so I can't make it out there all the time and he doesn't live there full time yet. So we are just trying to do what we can. That is why I ask for feeder light suggestions and not a lecture on how to get rid of the hogs off the prooerty. Thanks in advance.

^^^^

And this is exactly why we must consider the conditions of each situation....rather than make blanket statements or apply 'one size fits all' approaches to each person's needs or goals. up

You are right to do what you can.

Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8378627 09/08/21 02:55 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Of course, nobody has ever trapped their way out of a hog problem, either on a low fence property, either.

Correct.

But trapping in conjunction with all the other methods available to the landowner/agent can produce significant results on many properties. Eradication is nigh on to impossible...but putting a good 'dent' in them can be achieved on some places. However, it requires a huge investment of someone's time and efforts.

The biggest drawback in the OP's case is the small amount of acreage involved and the activities of neighboring properties. Pretty much guarantees a 'losing battle' outcome. But that is not say...they shouldn't do whatever they can to kill every hog encountered. They are a 'shoot on sight' pest on my property. I don't care what other activity we are engaged in. It all stops and the hog(s) get shot at.

But yes, on low fenced property, hogs are here to stay. You know that all too well or else you wouldn't have pigs to shoot at (over and over) on the properties you service.

Trapping on larger properties with mostly open fields would be too difficult and time consuming. So your method of spot and stalk, ambush shooting (preferably with more than one person) is just the ticket. In some of your videos you might have 6-10 kills on a good night. That is the equal to what I might expect to trap on an average set. So same result...different methods.

We can't apply both to different situations. You would never shoot as many as I can trap/snare on my property and I would never trap as many as you can shoot on the properties you hunt. They are different. But one thing remains the same, hogs will always find and fill a void.

Last edited by flintknapper; 09/08/21 02:57 PM.

Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: notamtchance] #8378667 09/08/21 03:15 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Put a pen around the feeder you plan on deer hunting from and save some corn, Have second feeder that throws less corn and you will be able to shoot hogs making the owner happy and likely giving you some pleasure also. Pork makes goof sausage and the backstrap is very good as well. Just a thought.

Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: notamtchance] #8378706 09/08/21 03:51 PM
J
Jroutdoors Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Pens r best or put a pit bait away from deer hunting area

Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: notamtchance] #8378807 09/08/21 06:07 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Started setting up a Pen Trap yesterday afternoon. Also cut a small path in the brush to encourage the hogs to 'pop out' near the trap.

Didn't have time to get much done on the trap and purposed to finish up today. But the hogs hit me last night. Tore up a small area of pasture. Same spot I just repaired about a month ago. mad

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: notamtchance] #8378835 09/08/21 06:28 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I purposely keep several bait sites running year 'round back in the woods to keep the hogs from coming out and foraging in the pastures.

Or not.

Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: notamtchance] #8378853 09/08/21 06:46 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I've used outdoor led lights from Harbor Freight in the past, and they've worked okay.
I'd probably go with something like these if I were buying today — https://smile.amazon.com/4-Pack-Outdoor-Solar-Lights-Waterproof/dp/B08VMTQ84G/ref=sr_1_16

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8379122 09/08/21 11:11 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
I purposely keep several bait sites running year 'round back in the woods to keep the hogs from coming out and foraging in the pastures.

Or not.

grin

Oh believe me....its LOTS worse if I don't feed them back in the woods. I've tried both ways. It isn't 100% but well worth my time and effort. MUCH less work than repairing the damage they do.

Also, I don't know if the hogs that did this are the group I am after. Got my pen trap about 80% done today.

Hogs are still around naturally.

Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: notamtchance] #8379653 09/09/21 01:52 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Fun but still didn't make a dint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: notamtchance] #8380226 09/09/21 11:36 PM
B
Boar Sight Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I use "Slow Glow" lights at 2 feeders. One with solar panel and red or green light and the other without solar and either green or ir light (use my Wraith NV) Both run about $300. So far, no issues.
Hope this helps!

Some people have such a toxic and rancid personality that even death doesn't want them!
Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: hook_n_line] #8380228 09/09/21 11:38 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by hook_n_line
Fun but still didn't make a dent.

You are looking at it 'short term'. You might not have taken that many out of the 'existing' population but when you consider the number of pigs (offspring extrapolated) that those would have had....it definitely put a dent in future populations. You prevented hundreds and hundreds of pigs from being born.

Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: Boar Sight] #8380247 09/10/21 12:00 AM
N
notamtchance Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Boar Sight
I use "Slow Glow" lights at 2 feeders. One with solar panel and red or green light and the other without solar and either green or ir light (use my Wraith NV) Both run about $300. So far, no issues.
Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: notamtchance] #8381410 09/11/21 12:14 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Trap is up. Doors pinned back, have stopped feeding at other bait sites, only at the trap.

So we will see how long it takes them to get used to it and start going in (if at all).

[Linked Image]

Re: Need some hog hunter opinions [Re: notamtchance] #8383685 09/13/21 12:22 PM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
The place I hunt, the hogs seem to avoid the pastures. We feed year around and I think it keeps them out of the fields? If I hunt them hard for a couple days they disappear for a week or Two. I assume they relocate on a neighboring ranch? But they always come back like the Energizer bunny.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide