Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
"Book" Animals - enter them or not? #8365680 08/27/21 05:07 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
If you were to kill/harvest/take/[insert preferred verb here] an animal that qualified for Boone&Crockett, Pope&Young or the SCI Record book, would you go through the paperwork and red tape to have it officially scored and entered?

Would it matter to you if you owned the land, leased the land, took it off of a public land hunt, or were guided on the hunt?

I am very much on the fence on this. We have taken several whitetails that would qualify for entry into Pope and Young, but no one has actually entered the animal. I am staring at pictures of a pronghorn that would be a new Texas record and likely be a top 10 B&C animal. Conversely, 125" on a whitetail with a bow is not that huge of a deal, so just barely getting into P&Y could be seen as a rather low bar. Barely getting an animal into B&C is a bigger accolade, to me.

I do not know if I would want to attract the attention of a "recordbook spotlight" on property I leased. If I owned property, I would think it might be a nice feather in the cap to have animals entered into 'official recordbooks'. I also enjoy hunting to the point that I would like to give as much honor as possible to the animals that provide me with not only sustenance, but so much passion and enjoyment as they end their journey through life at my hand.

Before it is said, I am not solely about 'trophy hunting' per se. With regard to deer specifically, I enjoy improving the land and deer herd through management of habitat and population. I hope this doesn't devolve into a meat hunt vs. 'trophy shoot' topic.

I anticipate reading your perspectives.

Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8365689 08/27/21 05:14 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
No, I’ve got a bunch of PY animals and no way I’d ever submit them.

I also tell friends that hunt with me I don’t want animals entered from my ranch.

Several reasons don’t like what the books have turned into, don’t want publicity or attention. With today’s mapping apps property owner info takes three minutes to find.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8365691 08/27/21 05:16 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Personally, no I would not enter any in any book and I have several that would qualify. To me if an animal is entered into a "book", then the hunters name should be anonymous...a book judging animals should be about the animals not the hunter. The animal is the emphasis not the hunter or collector. This is my personal preference. I do not impose my point of view on the matter when it comes to what someone else wants to do with animals they shoot.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8365704 08/27/21 05:27 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
No interest in it for me.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8365708 08/27/21 05:32 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I took the deer of my life some years back off of our LF lease - I hunted my butt off for him.

I had him scored by an official scorer and he qualified for Boone and Crockett. It is pretty rare to be fortunate enough to have one that qualifies and I am still proud of it to this day. (B&C does not require the name of the ranch be published - just the state and county)

You can't fix stupid
Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8365885 08/27/21 08:48 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
No, I’ve got a bunch of PY animals and no way I’d ever submit them.

I also tell friends that hunt with me I don’t want animals entered from my ranch.

Several reasons don’t like what the books have turned into, don’t want publicity or attention. With today’s mapping apps property owner info takes three minutes to find.

^^^^^This

Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8365930 08/27/21 09:22 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I have several different B&C Coues or Blacktail deer, and have never entered them and won't. It doesn't matter to anyone but me, and the partners on the hunts what they score. My goal is to take a B&C WT and MD to finish out that total goal.

That said, I have entered quite a few African animals in SCI, as I don't give a crap what they think or care, and it is good advertising for my friends over there, for future hunts!!

Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8365938 08/27/21 09:28 PM
T
Theringworm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I am not a land owner so I can’t comment on it from that perspective. If I were, I could see it potentially causing some problems. I generally have an idea when hunting a certain animal what qualifies as big or trophy size/book animal, but not down to nitty gritty legalities of official scoring. If I shot an animal of such caliber I would have no desire for anyone else to know but I would personally like to know where my trophy fell amongst others taken previously. Not for boasting purposes/bragging rights. It wasn’t me that enabled this animal to grow to trophy status or survive for the length of time he did. I simply would want to give credit back to the animal and know how he would compare to other trophy animals of his same species. I have thought about having a couple of animals scored as I think they would be a book caliber animal. But honestly, I think it would be more headache than it’s worth.

Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8365961 08/27/21 09:51 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Boone and Crockett does not list the ranch or location of where an entry is killed - just the county and state -

You can't fix stupid
Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8365985 08/27/21 10:11 PM
syncerus Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I could go either way on this. If it makes you happy, then do it.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8365999 08/27/21 10:15 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Normally I would not, unless it was a truly remarkable animaI. I have a friend who shot a top 50 elk in college and he entered it. He sold it to cabelas some years back and it being in the book helped verify the price tag, in that case.

I have entered 1 animal, my Sika, into the SCI books. Currently he is no. 28 all time North America. I only did it because he was an extremely large specimen. And I did it for the animal not for me.

I have several other heads that would make the SCI book but I have no interest in entering them

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8366013 08/27/21 10:24 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
We had a number of bucks qualify for Texas Big Game Awards, and helped hunters turn in paperwork. Towards the end we asked them not to name the ranch anymore because of poaching problems.

I personally turned my Kudu score into SCI after my Africa hunt. Wanted the cool plaque that said "Gold Award" to display with the pedestal mount. Just bragging rights I guess.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8366017 08/27/21 10:30 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer. I entered my P&Y moose because he was top 100 and I was proud of him. But I was younger then. I have another couple that would likely make it but I haven’t scored them. I haven’t even measured the curl on my biggest ram. I knew they were animals I was happy with when I took them so I have no need to put a number on them.

There’s nothing wrong with scoring but IMO attaching numbers to animals has gotten to the point where they are often just reduced to those numbers. That mostly applies to whitetails I think….

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8366025 08/27/21 10:34 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
I never have. Shot a Cape Elsnd in RSA that the PH measured at #13 in the world. It has never been officially scored or enteted and I dhot a mulie that I self scored st 206. It also has never been officially scored

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8366276 08/28/21 02:34 AM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Huntnfly67, I am right with you on all you said. I’m not sure on answering your question though. I would lean towards not entering but a Book WT or MD is special for sure.
I agree on it being about the animal and the habitat that produced it. If you ever see any of my dead deer pics you will always see me looking at the deer and not the camera.
Also, I love to field score deer even though that’s not the only criteria for what to kill. It adds another element to the hunting experience to think and talk about score. It’s also a good yardstick to evaluate how your management program is working.
Also, nothing really wrong with “mines bigger than yours”, that’s been a part of our society for eons. People without any ego or goals are a little different for sure.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8366281 08/28/21 02:37 AM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Huntfly67, I would love to hear more about the big pronghorn. Is he alive? My good friend controls big country in Tx that produces most of the big pronghorns in Tx so I’m curious. Of course if he is alive I wouldn’t be telling.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8366321 08/28/21 03:10 AM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
I was very fortunate to hunt some outstanding LF big sotex country many years ago with a small group of guys for quite a few years...I took some outstanding deer as they did. I took one that would qualify for the book. It was scored by a friend who was an official B&C scorer at the time. He was also taped by my taxi guy and agreed on being a book deer. Never notified anyone about anything as far as registering the deer. That wasn’t my thing. I always caught hell about it from a couple of our group because the score never really mattered then to me. We were a close knit group and didn’t do much show and tell outsider our circle....
But this was also pretty much pre computer times and definitely no social media except MAYBE a pic in the local fish wrap paper that came out once a week.
Great memories

Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8366335 08/28/21 03:27 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
If it's a big enough of an animal to break into the top 20 or so, or a state or county record, I'd probably get it scored and entered. I definitely would not give the name of the ranch I was on.

Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: tlk] #8366372 08/28/21 04:13 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by tlk
Boone and Crockett does not list the ranch or location of where an entry is killed - just the county and state -

If you own your ranch, your name is all that some folks need to know where it was taken. I've had half a dozen letters over the last few months, just because of the onX Hunt app and my ranch location. I hate that thing.

Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8366431 08/28/21 06:44 AM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Not sure I have a solid opinion on this. To each their own, I guess.

I shot a B&C buck a little over 15 years ago and I entered it because it was a top 10 buck in that state at the time and taken on public land. But I did it to recognize the majesty of that animal, not for my own recognition.

Each situation and animal is different and I guess I'll have to say that the decision is up to the hunter.

[Linked Image]
Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8366462 08/28/21 10:22 AM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
If it’s about gaining obscure notoriety from people you don’t know, book it. If you want special notoriety from those who know you, don’t book it.

Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8366482 08/28/21 11:42 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
There’s a whole lot more people seeking to gain notoriety by claiming animals are “book” animals without having them officially scored than people who actually have animals officially scored and entered. There probably aren’t 5 actual 200” scoring free range whitetails taken in any given year but you’ll read about or see 50 claimed to be that big.

Lots of folks will say they don’t enter animals because they don’t care, all the while talking score/numbers with every other breath.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #8366493 08/28/21 12:17 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
There’s a whole lot more people seeking to gain notoriety by claiming animals are “book” animals without having them officially scored than people who actually have animals officially scored and entered. There probably aren’t 5 actual 200” scoring free range whitetails taken in any given year but you’ll read about or see 50 claimed to be that big.

Lots of folks will say they don’t enter animals because they don’t care, all the while talking score/numbers with every other breath.

Truth

You can't fix stupid
Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8366497 08/28/21 12:21 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I have killed at least one animal that is B&C eligible and a bunch that are SCI Gold. No interest in entering them.

Re: "Book" Animals - enter them or not? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8366509 08/28/21 12:37 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
There are some huge deer that have never been entered in the books. I would bet some that would top the #1s too, but the hunter never cared to enter them.
So if you shoot a deer (antelope, whatever) and it makes #10 in the books, is it really number the #10 best deer ever hunted? Probably not.
I take the books as only a guideline of big animals, not necessary an accurate log of all actual large animals that have been hunted.
We have never bothered entering a "book" animal.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide