Print Thread
No Video, but a few still photos #8362186 08/24/21 09:23 PM
D
der Teufel Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
D
I had hoped to post some video, but apparently the SD card came loose in my DVR. I thought the DVR gave an alert when it didn't have a card, but in this case the card was there, just not fully inserted and I didn't get any warning. So, no video. DANG!

I hunted a 'sort of' new spot over the recent weekend. It's 'sort of' new because I hunted the property next to it a few times in June & July. This field belongs to my wife's family and was planted in sorghum, which was harvested the weekend before this hunt. The guy who harvested it said there was considerable hog damage, and I figured there would be grain scattered around that might still attract hogs. I set up at sundown in hopes of seeing a few.

Here's the view of the field. The tree line on the left is on a line going SSW:

[Linked Image]

The wind was forecast to be SSE, so I set up in the NE corner of the field. It gave me a pretty good view of the area. I thought the hogs would probably come in just slightly south of me, from the east through the tree line. There are some houses farther up to the left of the photo above (on the east side of the field), so I didn't want to set up in the SW corner because that might have me shooting in their direction.

Here's my set up. I sat in a chair in the bed of my truck to get a slightly elevated viewing position:

[Linked Image]

I steal every good idea that I can. Note the reflective strip around the bottom of the tripod center shaft. I think Pig_Popper gets credit for that.

I saw a lot of deer. There were deer in the field constantly from sundown until I finally saw hogs a little after 2AM Sunday morning. The hogs actually came in from the NW corner, which made me happy I hadn't set up there. I had noticed something at the far south end of the field around 1AM. There were some deer, but something else somewhat away from them that I couldn't identify. I figured I had nothing better to do than to go check it out, so I started walking. It took close to a half hour to get to the south end, and by then whatever I'd seen had disappeared. I stayed a little while in case it or something else interesting showed, but started my return journey a little after 1:30AM. A little after 2AM I was almost back to my truck when I stopped to take a look around. I saw some "new players" on the field which I recognized as hogs. It was a sounder consisting of two large sows and roughly a dozen piglets. They were across the field from me and a little out of my comfortable shooting range, so I started moving toward them. The moon was full, and behind me, so I was concerned that I'd be spotted if I got too close. I stopped twice to make sure they hadn't seen me, and eventually got to within what I estimated to be perhaps just over 100 yards. I would have liked to have gone closer but with the bright moon high overhead I figured I'd better shoot before they got wise.

I doubt that these hogs had ever been hunted before, or not much. The area is a combination of small farms and occasional residences, and I doubt that the hogs get much pressure. I guessed that once I started shooting they'd run back the way they came. Instead they ran forward and toward the middle of the field, which gave me the opportunity to keep shooting. My initial shot dropped one of the large sows.

[Linked Image]

She weighed 190 Lbs and went down with one shot through the shoulders.

I recovered the bullet. It was a 110 grain Hornady SP which was lodged in the fat just under the skin on the far side. It penetrated both shoulders. I'm shooting a 300 Blackout with a home made (Form 1) suppressor.

[Linked Image]

Weight retention was just over 86 grains, or about 78%.

Once the first sow went down, I took aim at the second large hog. It turned out to be an even larger sow weighing about 220 Lbs (estimated). She actually made it across the fence onto the neighbor's property, but only barely. I wasn't inclined to crawl through the wet grass to go under the fence, so I just took a photo from where I stood. I've hunted this neighbor's land before, and he said it's all right to just leave dead hogs where they lay. I texted him after dawn alerting him that he might be seeing buzzard activity near his fence. He had no problems & was happy to have a few more hogs gone from the area.

[Linked Image]

After taking the above photo I re-scanned the field and saw that the piglets hadn't completely left the area. They wandered around, and eventually came close enough for me to get a shot. They weren't as small as I had expected. I killed a 90 Lb male shoat with a shot through both shoulders to bring the nightly total to three hogs down. I failed to get a photo of the shoat, however. Y'all are just gonna have to take my word for it!

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: No Video, but a few still photos [Re: der Teufel] #8362209 08/24/21 09:40 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Good hunt and good story!

So many ways external recording can go wrong. Been there, done that. Don't have the video to prove it, LOL.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: No Video, but a few still photos [Re: der Teufel] #8362343 08/24/21 11:14 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Really neat, thanks for sharing

Re: No Video, but a few still photos [Re: der Teufel] #8362496 08/25/21 01:44 AM
B
Boar Sight Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Excellent hunt and story........

Some people have such a toxic and rancid personality that even death doesn't want them!
Re: No Video, but a few still photos [Re: der Teufel] #8362851 08/25/21 01:43 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Thanks for sharing.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: No Video, but a few still photos [Re: der Teufel] #8363706 08/26/21 12:55 AM
J
J Hills Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
J
I haven't see this? Note the reflective strip around the bottom of the tripod center shaft. I think Pig_Popper gets credit for that."
Whats the reflective strip for?
Always looking for tips and tricks. Thanks

Re: No Video, but a few still photos [Re: J Hills] #8363728 08/26/21 01:18 AM
C
Chopperdrvr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
After the fog of war clears, you can find your tri-pod again. Thats a good idea.

Re: No Video, but a few still photos [Re: J Hills] #8364140 08/26/21 02:24 PM
D
der Teufel Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by J Hills
I haven't see this? Note the reflective strip around the bottom of the tripod center shaft. I think Pig_Popper gets credit for that."
Whats the reflective strip for?
Always looking for tips and tricks. Thanks

As Chopperdrvr notes, it makes it easy to find the tripod in the dark.

In this case, After I shot the first hog, the group started running. I scored a couple of hits on the second (larger) sow, but she didn't go down. She turned and started moving away from me, but not very fast. I ended up going after her and probably traveled several hundred yards trying to catch up with her. I'd close some distance, take a shot, and she'd start moving again. In the photo you can see lots of blood on her hindquarter — That's from my shooting at her while she was going away. When she finally dropped, I left my tripod and rifle there to mark the spot. I then walked back to my truck (probably close to a quarter-mile). It was an easier trip for not having to lug the rifle and tripod with me, plus I found the tripod again almost instantly in the truck's headlights.

There have been a few times where I've dropped a hog in tall grass, but had difficulty finding it. I set the tripod up as a marker and then walk a back-and-forth pattern searching for the hog. If I don't find it, I'll move the tripod and repeat. That helps me to avoid just wandering around blindly in the grass.

Another helpful tip I've learned is to carry a bicycle rear light along. It's small and runs on a single AAA battery. In this instance I put it on the first hog that went down so I could find it easily again. In other areas where I've had to go through a fence I'll put it on the gate or the spot where I found it easiest to cross the fence. On a moonless, overcast night it's particularly helpful to guide me back the way I came.
--

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: No Video, but a few still photos [Re: der Teufel] #8365056 08/27/21 02:22 AM
J
J Hills Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
J
Thanks. I have a small blinking light I found walking, just threw it in the junk box. Now I have a use for it. Need to get some reflective tape.

Re: No Video, but a few still photos [Re: J Hills] #8368485 08/30/21 04:55 AM
W
Wellbornpapa Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Good shootin' makes good hogs.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide