Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Duck cabin update [Re: wal1809] #8293350 06/13/21 04:21 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by wal1809
I tell you what has destroyed my planned timeline is equipment. The lower unit on my trp imploded. It was in the shop for a while waiting on parts, before I decided to tell them just put a whole new lower and props. In the meantime I rebuilt the pontoon and rebuilt a 140 hp evinrude. Theblower need a new seal kit, prop needed to be overhauled, new fuel pump.... yall know boat trouble stuff. I couldn't very well keep dipping a carbon steel trailer in salt water. So I broke it down and dipped it and put new everything. Took the fishing boat out for its first trip since the new lower and the water pump zipped. Dont know how or why a brand new pump would fail within the first few hours. It's back in the shop. The trailer for the pontoon boat is in the shop. It ain't up the left rear tire within 1500 miles. I got to checking with a tape measure. The left rear tire is toe out at the spindle by 5/8 inch. These were brand new tires and axles. From the pull point to the front 2 spindles the measurements are spot on. From pull point to the rear 2 spindles are off by 5/8s inch. Reaching into the trailer measure axle to axle they are perfectly parallel to each other within 1/32 of an inch. The only thing I can think of being the problem is the spindle was welded incorrectly when they were made. The spindle had to have warped as they welded it. They are welded in a jig. The problem is if you take it out of the jig too fast, warping could be an issue. We have an issue. We will see what the trailer place decides tomorrow.

the two happiest times owning a boat, the day you buy it and the day you sell it

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Duck cabin update [Re: colt45-90] #8295184 06/15/21 02:27 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by colt45
I tell you what has destroyed my planned timeline is equipment. The lower unit on my trp imploded. It was in the shop for a while waiting on parts, before I decided to tell them just put a whole new lower and props. In the meantime I rebuilt the pontoon and rebuilt a 140 hp evinrude. Theblower need a new seal kit, prop needed to be overhauled, new fuel pump.... yall know boat trouble stuff. I couldn't very well keep dipping a carbon steel trailer in salt water. So I broke it down and dipped it and put new everything. Took the fishing boat out for its first trip since the new lower and the water pump zipped. Dont know how or why a brand new pump would fail within the first few hours. It's back in the shop. The trailer for the pontoon boat is in the shop. It ain't up the left rear tire within 1500 miles. I got to checking with a tape measure. The left rear tire is toe out at the spindle by 5/8 inch. These were brand new tires and axles. From the pull point to the front 2 spindles the measurements are spot on. From pull point to the rear 2 spindles are off by 5/8s inch. Reaching into the trailer measure axle to axle they are perfectly parallel to each other within 1/32 of an inch. The only thing I can think of being the problem is the spindle was welded incorrectly when they were made. The spindle had to have warped as they welded it. They are welded in a jig. The problem is if you take it out of the jig too fast, warping could be an issue. We have an issue. We will see what the trailer place decides tomorrow.

the two happiest times owning a boat, the day you buy it and the day you sell it

Re: Duck cabin update [Re: wal1809] #8295189 06/15/21 02:30 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W
Not me. I get frustrated sometimes but that's part of it. I am a boat freak. My wife is also a boat freak, so I don't even ask when I buy boats. The last time I boat the pontoon boat for the pontoon duck blind. She came back from out of town asking "Who's ratty arsed pontoon is that by the barn" I said "Well technically its yours and mine". I tild what the intentions were for the boat. All she said was "Kewl".

Re: Duck cabin update [Re: wal1809] #8295382 06/15/21 05:19 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Not me.

Same here, I have 2 boats and love them. But if you do not like working on them, it would probably be the best day when you sell it. During fishing season, my momarsh goes into cold storage. My gatortrax transforms into crappie rig. After each trip, I get it all ready for the next trip.

During duck season, it is nice having 2 boats, so when one breaks down and needs work, I got back up.

Re: Duck cabin update [Re: wal1809] #8303247 06/24/21 12:26 PM
K
Ktexas14 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
K
Thanks for the update! If everything was easy about it, it wouldn't be such an adventure with good stories. I look forward to reading more in the future.

Re: Duck cabin update [Re: wal1809] #8303305 06/24/21 01:21 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Nice

Re: Duck cabin update [Re: wal1809] #8323927 07/17/21 08:47 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C

the fun of owning a boat, when you buy it and when you sell it banana2

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Duck cabin update [Re: wal1809] #8338275 08/01/21 09:39 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W
I got my crew together. September we will frame and finish out the front and rear porches. That way we won't scaffolding to get to the walls on the front and rear. In the winter we will be going for dried in.

Re: Duck cabin update [Re: wal1809] #8353413 08/16/21 05:50 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W
I reckon I told yall I have had issues with Frankenstein the pontoon barge. I have had 5 aborted missions as a result of this ghost of a problem. Intermittent problems a a beach to diagnose and find. On the day in the video we launched and had problems with the engine missing horribly all the way to the island. We got there, unloaded and spent a few hours there. On the way back across, no problems at all. In fact is ran better than ever, By a guess we were running 25 to 30 mph in the video. The very next weekend I had this load of porch boards. I have to load rear heavy for the boat so as to keep the weight off of the trailer tongue. So the trailer can handle the weight but the rear of the boat gets super low in the water. Thats all fine a good. Once you hit forward on the boat the water has about 6 inches below the deck. I had already gone through and replaced the entire ignition with new. So when we took these porch board, the boat sort of lawn darted into the water during the launch. We had problems immediately and never made it to the island. I went over the facts presented over and over and over. It dawned on me, the only time I have trouble is with a load. I have never had trouble empty. Asking what could be different and water was the answer. Loaded with 3000 lbs of boards put the deck at the water's level. I targeted the only thing under the deck that water could get to, the main harness. Well it was a blazing hot day and I had my shirt off while in the barn. I could see two three wire butt connectors in the 3 wire tilt trim harness. They are not supposed to be there but an open connection on those wires would have zero effect the engine. I cut the butts out and soldered the joint, sealed them with liquid tape and heat shrink tubing. Remember it was hot and I was sweating like a mad man. So as I reached up to push the wires back into place I saw nothing short of Jesus standing in a lake fire. Both my nipples were touching the side of the aluminum and the motor was running at the time. I swear if you look there has to me nipple skin left on the side of the boat. I found a direct short in the main wire harness and it bit me good. I had no idea 12 volts could bite so hard. I clinched my teeth so hard they hurt. I found a direct short. The nick in the harness jacket and cut hot wire were sitting on top of the pontoon. When I have a load, water was able to get to that nicked wire and short out. It makes sense after we made the island and unloaded, we would have no more problems. I got that ghost's rotten arse now. I can't wait to get going again.

https://youtu.be/zMVny5-4Vkw

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck cabin update [Re: wal1809] #8353432 08/16/21 06:13 PM
S
slymer Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
So as I reached up to push the wires back into place I saw nothing short of Jesus standing in a lake fire. Both my nipples were touching the side of the aluminum and the motor was running at the time. I swear if you look there has to me nipple skin left on the side of the boat.

roflmao

At least you found the problem.

Re: Duck cabin update [Re: wal1809] #8353437 08/16/21 06:17 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Glad you found the issue! Now you can move full steam ahead on the project.
Remember, it’s not the voltage but the amperage that’ll get you.

Re: Duck cabin update [Re: wal1809] #8353439 08/16/21 06:20 PM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
So you would not suggest using your nipples as a ground test? grin

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Duck cabin update [Re: HornSlayer] #8353527 08/16/21 08:12 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by HornSlayer
So you would not suggest using your nipples as a ground test? grin

Apparently it works! LOLOL

Re: Duck cabin update [Re: wal1809] #8362949 08/25/21 02:55 PM
K
Ktexas14 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
K
It made for a good update, glad you found the problem!

Re: Duck cabin update [Re: Ktexas14] #8363904 08/26/21 09:33 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by slymer
So as I reached up to push the wires back into place I saw nothing short of Jesus standing in a lake fire. Both my nipples were touching the side of the aluminum and the motor was running at the time. I swear if you look there has to me nipple skin left on the side of the boat.

roflmao

At least you found the problem.

Originally Posted by Ktexas14
It made for a good update, glad you found the problem!

Sorry but while reading that^^^^^ I laughed til I cried....

Glad you finally got it sorted out.

Can't wait to see more pics of the project.

When I was a kid we had an old push mower with a Briggs and Stratton motor with a kill wire coming out from the to cover. Just touch the end of the wire to the block to kill the engine....on more than one occasion i reached down with sweaty hands and got bit.....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide