Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: Flashprism] #8356111 08/19/21 03:59 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Flashprism
As we teach our hunter education students to make sure we make clean and ethical kills making sure we cause no excessive pain and suffering to any animal. Why would you use such a marginal round testing your skill set at the expense of any animal. Even a hog deserves to be dispatched in a quick and painless manner!!!!

How do think wild animals die? In hospice hooked up to an IV full of morphine, with their animal friends and family all sitting bedside telling wonderful stories about them? Most animals are eaten alive by other animals after they are weakened from age or injury. A 22 to the dome is absolutely humane compared to how 99.999% of wild animals die. Maybe you should try it before condemning it and learn how effective it is. Soundness of heart doesn't make up for softness of head.

Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: ntxtrapper] #8356133 08/19/21 04:43 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
As we teach our hunter education students to make sure we make clean and ethical kills making sure we cause no excessive pain and suffering to any animal. Why would you use such a marginal round testing your skill set at the expense of any animal. Even a hog deserves to be dispatched in a quick and painless manner!!!!

How do think wild animals die? In hospice hooked up to an IV full of morphine, with their animal friends and family all sitting bedside telling wonderful stories about them? Most animals are eaten alive by other animals after they are weakened from age or injury. A 22 to the dome is absolutely humane compared to how 99.999% of wild animals die. Maybe you should try it before condemning it and learn how effective it is. Soundness of heart doesn't make up for softness of head.

I think it more accurate to state that SOME (not most) animals are eaten alive in the wild. Yes, it happens. But just because animals (depending on what they are) die an inhospitable death in the wild, doesn't mean we should be another source for that.

A well placed CNS shot is indeed as good a death (quick and painless) as could be hoped for. But I believe the argument being made is one of probability.

A skilled marksman with an accurate firearm at reasonable distances, could expect to make quick, killing shots most of the time. But it should be incumbent upon each person to honestly evaluate their abilities (for sake of the animal) rather than 'test' the limits IMO. Field conditions are often very different than on the shooting bench....I'm sure you would agree. So...it is well to account for that too.

Surely each animal deserves to die as quickly as circumstance allows. And 'circumstance' should be dictated with respect to us being good stewards of the resources and proper respect for the lives of the animals we take.

I would not argue that a .22 LR or .22WMR placed in the brain pan of hog at distances to 100 yds would not readily dispatch that animal, I am certain it will do so the majority of the time. I am equally certain that if you MISS the brain pan, you will lose that animal and it might suffer a slow, miserable death. I would take no solace in knowing that the death of that animal was no worse than you propose nature has in store for it. I am not responsible for what 'nature' does or how that plays out. I AM responsible for my own actions and the consequences of such.

We can argue to death (pun intended) the ethics of all kinds of hunting and never reach complete agreement, I am aware of that. I simply ask each person to give some thought to the taking of life (beyond what is just legal). Know your limits, stay within them.....try to be a good example of the hunting community.

Last edited by flintknapper; 08/19/21 04:45 AM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: flintknapper] #8356140 08/19/21 04:59 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by flintknapper

I think it more accurate to state that SOME (not most) animals are eaten alive in the wild. Yes, it happens. But just because animals (depending on what they are) die an inhospitable death in the wild, doesn't mean we should be another source for that.

A well placed CNS shot is indeed as good a death (quick and painless) as could be hoped for. But I believe the argument being made is one of probability.

A skilled marksman with an accurate firearm at reasonable distances, could expect to make quick, killing shots most of the time. But it should be incumbent upon each person to honestly evaluate their abilities (for sake of the animal) rather than 'test' the limits IMO. Field conditions are often very different than on the shooting bench....I'm sure you would agree. So...it is well to account for that too.

Surely each animal deserves to die as quickly as circumstance allows. And 'circumstance' should be dictated with respect to us being good stewards of the resources and proper respect for the lives of the animals we take.

I would not argue that a .22 LR or .22WMR placed in the brain pan of hog at distances to 100 yds would not readily dispatch that animal, I am certain it will do so the majority of the time. I am equally certain that if you MISS the brain pan, you will lose that animal and it might suffer a slow, miserable death. I would take no solace in knowing that the death of that animal was no worse than you propose nature has in store for it. I am not responsible for what 'nature' does or how that plays out. I AM responsible for my own actions and the consequences of such.

We can argue to death (pun intended) the ethics of all kinds of hunting and never reach complete agreement, I am aware of that. I simply ask each person to give some thought to the taking of life (beyond what is just legal). Know your limits, stay within them.....try to be a good example of the hunting community.

Sounds like if you don't know the skill set of the person who is doing the wet work, then maybe you shouldn't be throwing shade on them.

Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: ntxtrapper] #8356171 08/19/21 09:40 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by flintknapper

Sounds like if you don't know the skill set of the person who is doing the wet work, then maybe you shouldn't be throwing shade on them.

Actually it sounds more like you have piss poor reading skills. I DID account for that a couple of sentences prior"

"A skilled marksman with an accurate firearm at reasonable distances, could expect to make quick, killing shots most of the time. But it should be incumbent upon each person to honestly evaluate their abilities (for sake of the animal) rather than 'test' the limits IMO. Field conditions are often very different than on the shooting bench...."

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: supersixfour] #8356205 08/19/21 11:40 AM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted by supersixfour
A 22 in the earhole is not ethical or responsible in my book. If you screw up you leave an animal to die an long, agonizing death.
Nothing deserves that, not even a hog.

Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Not that I care at all for hogs but is it ethical?

Not even a hog, true, but "nothing deserves that" I disagree with. I worked for a manager about 10 years back that an old co-worker told me was convicted of child molestation. He messed with a 3 year old girl and only got 8 years. Those guys deserve a lot worse than a 22 in the earhole. Way off topic though, sorry, I shut up now.

Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: Flashprism] #8356250 08/19/21 12:34 PM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

Your preconceived bias should exclude you from teaching “a class”. You don’t know what you don’t know and you should not pretend to. Go and do the research, present the findings and leave your bias at the door. A bigger caliber and more powder does not guarantee a quick death.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: garyrapp55] #8356256 08/19/21 12:39 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Not that I care at all for hogs but is it ethical?

Dead is dead however they reach Valhalla,, may the pearly gates of Asgard give them all all free snacks. I would have said chasing them down and running them over is more fun but I thought some of you may be offended by that one 🎉

Last edited by Ol Thumper; 08/19/21 12:40 PM.
Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: Mr. T.] #8356258 08/19/21 12:41 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
No one worries how a poisoned rat dies. confused2

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: Flashprism] #8356268 08/19/21 12:49 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

I completely disagree with your holier than though attitude but if your interested in reimbursing me for all my crop damage caused by them then by all means do and at that point you can kill them however you see fit. Until then STFU and watch them die by whatever means I have available at that moment. You might actually cry if you knew of all the ways pigs have died at the hands of this evidently evil guy.

I could write a book, “ 1001 Ways A Pig Can Die At The Hands Of A Pissed Off Man”. You want the first signed copy?

Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: Mr. T.] #8356334 08/19/21 01:35 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
My stand is 63 yards from my feeder. With my 22, I can put 10/10 shots the size of a quarter. If I take my time
and shoot for the ear hole, does my 22 have enough power to knock down a hog?

I've killed more hogs with a .22lr than any other caliber. Probably killed over 200 of them with a 22 over the many years.

If you put one in their earhole at 63 yards they will drop like a sack of rocks.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: supersixfour] #8356336 08/19/21 01:36 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by supersixfour
Why?
Why not just shoot them with something you know will kill them?

Go shoot a 55 gallon drum with a .22 and then shoot it will a 9mm and tell me what the results are for both

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: 218 Bee] #8356357 08/19/21 01:47 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by 218 Bee
Originally Posted by stxranchman
I shoot hogs and predators with my .22 mag since I carry it 100% of the time in UTV...larger than a .22 but still not like a centerfire rifle. I shoot all larger hogs in the liver area with my .22 mag. and it kills 100% of them. Most will run a little distance but not that far....some drop dead in their tracks or within a few feet. If I had a .22 I would still carry it to use to shoot all hogs and predators.

This right here. When you live with 'em year 'round, you shoot 'em with whatever you have in your hands at the time. My last hog was shot with a Sig P365...

Mark

Damn skippy

ALL hogs get a one way ticket to hell from me.
I will not put up with them no more than I will a coyote

Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: Mr. T.] #8356365 08/19/21 01:52 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by ChrisB
My 17hmr is 5 for 5 on hogs. I'd bet it will work.

Are you taking the head shot that was talked about above between the ear and the eye?

Yes. Every hog thought they were hit with a 300 win mag.

Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: ntxtrapper] #8356390 08/19/21 02:12 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

I am sure nxtrapper knows this, but worded it cavalierly. The bold faced part of the quote is problematic because many people literally do think the "dome" or "head" is all lethally equal to shoot when it is not It is the brain or stem inside the dome or head that must experience significant damage to attain the desired result. A hog's head and even the dome have large areas where impact would be non lethal given a .22 caliber bullet with a nearly 2 moa level of accuracy.

As to Flashprism's quote and query, I do think hogs should be dispatched as quickly and painlessly as is realistically possible. I do a goodly amount of ammo testing in my preferred caliber, 6,5 Grendel (can't test all ammo in all calibers because I am not rich with unlimited time). I test ammo marketed for hunting as well as for other applications. Some of the non-hunting bullets are pretty sketchy. Sometimes the hunting bullets turn out sketchy. Sometimes the work well.

So why would I do this? Isn't it unethical to shoot an animal with a bullet that may not cause death as quickly as desired? Yes and no. I document the results. People are always going to hunt with marginal bullets (and/or calibers) For example, some folks try to brute force their way through hogs to compensate for a lack of skill by using larger calibers. Some folks are too cheap to buy decent hunting ammo. So my goal for Grendel bullet testing is to find out what works and what does not work and hopefully help folks make better buying decisions to be able to kill hogs more successfully within the price they are willing to pay and that performs in the manner they want. Hopefully, the few bad kills resulting from bad bullets that I make will keep others from having to go through the process themselves with the same bad bullets. There can be good that comes from bad.

FYI, There have been 2 times I stopped mt testing because the bullets were such abject hunting failures that I cut the tests short, once for a non-hunting bullet and once for a hunting bullet. I have had expensive hunting bullets that did well, but also those that performed worse than target ammo. I have had cheap and moderate priced hunting ammo outperform expensive ammo. My favorite Grendel bullet for hogs is marketed as a varmint bullet (Speer TNT) but it performs comparably to a Hornady SST which is marketed for hog-sized game. I haven't found any non-hunting ammo that would be my first choice for hunting hogs, but some does work fairly well.

Is this unethical? How do you know what will work until it has been tried?

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: Mr. T.] #8356395 08/19/21 02:15 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I have killed hundreds of pigs in traps with one shot from a 22 pistol - all I use, but I've actually never shot one with a 22 rifle. .17 HMR/WSM yes and works great under 100 yrds, but I've never killed a pig with a 22 RIFLE. I need new life goals....

Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: Mr. T.] #8356416 08/19/21 02:39 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I don't have any problems with killing hogs even if you use a rock. Just make sure they are dead so they don't breed.

Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: Mr. T.] #8356481 08/19/21 03:56 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
BIG FAVOR: after you shoot some hogs with a 22 rimfire, come back to this thread and tell us how it worked.

Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: Mr. T.] #8356549 08/19/21 05:07 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Dunno how but the homeowner at the end of the street from me down the steep hill has stopped the hog population's repetitive damage to his professionally manicured yard. His 2 acre lot backs up to some heavily forested unimproved acreage on both sides of the live creek bottom that comes out of Davey Dogwood Park's 20K of dogwoods and 240 acres. It is pretty common to see dead critters of several specie on the nearby 4 lane divided Loop especially at or near the corner of Hwy 79 North and the Loop that runs around Palestine and some of those porkers gotta run better than 200++ lbs.

Hwy 19 North from the Loop runs thru the woods & several creek bottoms up to Montalba, Bradford and 32 miles into Athens and in the spring time it's common to see up to a dozen or more critters going to waste on the shoulder....and an occasional disabled vehicle too. Ought to be a bounty on 'em in Anderson County and mebbe our car insurance rates would go down when the locals got paid Bounty $'s by the # of Pig tails they turned in each week or month.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: Mr. T.] #8356557 08/19/21 05:19 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
A single shot bolt action shooting .22 longs was used to kill a world record grizzly in 1953. There is a pic in this article shows the skull the bullet holes. The spot where to shoot a hog is no different.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/be...d-record-grizzly-and-more/#axzz740a8Iu5Y

Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: Creekrunner] #8356563 08/19/21 05:29 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
No one worries how a poisoned rat dies. confused2

That’s a great analogy really

This ethical feel sorry for pigs doesn’t jive w me

Where I hunt I am their only predator within several thousand acres

I can count 10,15,20 sometimes 30 different pigs on a hunt

I’d run out of bullets before I run out of pigs

Kill them anyway possible

If I cared enough to prove my point I could show pics 5-7 acres of coastal grass rooted up or that much more wheat seed gone because of them last year. It’s fair to say 10 acres where rooted up where I’m at

They aren’t protected for a reason

Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: Mr. T.] #8356578 08/19/21 05:49 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I don't much like to not recover the things i shoot so I wouldn't. I've done the same and similar with a 22 and I don't anymore. I think if many would do more than rattle off a shot with a 22 at them driving through the pasture and expect similar performance and recoverability to deer hunting it wouldn't even be a question.

That said I don't care how you want to hunt them.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: Mr. T.] #8356594 08/19/21 06:02 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I've carried a suppressed .22 to my bow stand many times. I wanted to kill the pigs without running my hunt. I ended up with ruined hunts anyhow as the pigs dropped right where they were standing under the feeder. Yes, a properly placed .22 will flip the off switch as well as anything if put in the brain pan. I haven’t counted, but I'd guess I've killed over 50 with a .22.

Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: redchevy] #8356600 08/19/21 06:09 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by redchevy
I don't much like to not recover the things i shoot so I wouldn't. I've done the same and similar with a 22 and I don't anymore. I think if many would do more than rattle off a shot with a 22 at them driving through the pasture and expect similar performance and recoverability to deer hunting it wouldn't even be a question.

I get your point from a hunters perspective and you have that luxury, as a land owner with crops I’m guessing you would change your opinion pretty quickly after you spend tens of thousands fixing crap they tore up and loosing tens of thousands on crop damage year in and year out. I wish thr was a way to rip them in half and watch them run themselves into the creek bottom or river without lifting a finger but they won’t and I can’t so I kill them with everything from a 22 to my front bumper and everything in between. If someone told me they had a special rock that fell from the heavens and killed every one within a 50 mile radius I’d be investing heavily in specialized rocks.

We've tried helicopters, paid thermal hunters and the likes but Tannerite seems to be the most effective in making them leave for a while, from what I’ve been told anyway eek2

Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: Ol Thumper] #8356635 08/19/21 06:51 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Originally Posted by redchevy

I get your point from a hunters perspective and you have that luxury, as a land owner with crops I’m guessing you would change your opinion pretty quickly after you spend tens of thousands fixing crap they tore up and loosing tens of thousands on crop damage year in and year out. I wish thr was a way to rip them in half and watch them run themselves into the creek bottom or river without lifting a finger but they won’t and I can’t so I kill them with everything from a 22 to my front bumper and everything in between. If someone told me they had a special rock that fell from the heavens and killed every one within a 50 mile radius I’d be investing heavily in specialized rocks.

We've tried helicopters, paid thermal hunters and the likes but Tannerite seems to be the most effective in making them leave for a while, from what I’ve been told anyway eek2

I thought this was being discussed about in a hunters perspective no?

I'm with you, I'm tired of them. I do enjoy shooting and eating some of them, but If I could push the big read easy button and banish them I would.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: 22lr and hogs [Re: Mr. T.] #8356646 08/19/21 07:05 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Hah you can sure get an argument here on the THF. Yes head shots work just like DNS says. In between the eye and the ear hole works for me. I have had a bullet or two hit at a poor angle and sort of bounce off.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide