Page 1 of 2 1 2
Storing Equipment on Hunting Land #8356023 08/19/21 02:38 AM
D
Duck_Dogs Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
What storage and security setups do you have for storing items on your hunting land or lease? The land in question has no barns or houses on the property. Thinking about getting a shipping container to store and lock it up but worried any lock you put on that could be cut off fairly easy. Would really like to store a 4 wheeler in there but a bit reluctant. Thoughts?

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8356045 08/19/21 02:52 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I wouldn’t do it, rent a storage facility close by and keep it all on a trailer you can easily hook onto and go. The first crack head that knows it’s thr will be back at some point and take it all. Nothing you can do to it short of hooking it up to 220 volts and electrocuting them can keep it safe IMO from a determined meth head. Or possibly find a neighbor that would let you put a container on thr property so it can be watched.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8356095 08/19/21 03:38 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
We always used shipping containers and heavy master locks.

Never had any issues

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8356096 08/19/21 03:40 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I have a shipping container and keep all of my stuff in it. So far no issues, but I also have insurance on the SxS's so if they are stolen it's covered.

Coverage on ATV's is really cheap so even if you keep it out there locked up I'd get them insured. It's cheaper than renting a storage unit and even those can be broken into.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8356102 08/19/21 03:46 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
FYI...this is the lock I have on mine, it's pretty heavy duty, but of course not gonna keep out a determined thief....

https://www.amazon.com/Equipment-Lo...iner+locks&qid=1629344667&sr=8-9

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: DocHorton] #8356110 08/19/21 03:57 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by DocHorton
I have a shipping container and keep all of my stuff in it. So far no issues, but I also have insurance on the SxS's so if they are stolen it's covered.

Coverage on ATV's is really cheap so even if you keep it out there locked up I'd get them insured. It's cheaper than renting a storage unit and even those can be broken into.

Until you use it one time and then your not going to be saying that, to each thr own but leaving items unattended in the boonies inside a metal box anyone with a cordless cut off saw can be inside of in less than 2 minutes is all great until it isn’t. The location and proximity to the closest meth head is really the determining factor in this working long term or not.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8356120 08/19/21 04:19 AM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I sure hope the meth heads only break into my conex during the winter. Ever opened one of those things in the summer and smell all the fumes that come out? Imagine that cut off disk spewing sparks in the summer or fall...I might need to put a game camera on my shipping container. It ain't booby trapped on purpose but I think it will make a kaboom if you try to go in through the side.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8356125 08/19/21 04:24 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Most folks I know in similar circumstances, hide the container in a nearby wooded area where criminals aren't likely to look. If you plop it right off a road or in a camp, the burglars will go for it first thing.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8356285 08/19/21 01:06 PM
G
goosebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Used to be on a lease that had all the containers broke into over a holiday. Everyone lost their 4wheelers and SxS machines. I wouldn't risk it.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8356445 08/19/21 03:20 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

Until you use it one time and then your not going to be saying that, to each thr own but leaving items unattended in the boonies inside a metal box anyone with a cordless cut off saw can be inside of in less than 2 minutes is all great until it isn’t. The location and proximity to the closest meth head is really the determining factor in this working long term or not.

Actually I have used my insurance. Had an accident and repair bill was almost $6k to fix my Ranger....cost me $250 deductible. Insurance is around $120 a year if I remember correctly, which is about what 2-3 months at a storage facility will cost you.

The great thing about insurance is I don't care if it gets stolen...I'll just get a new one.

If you aren't gonna haul it back and forth every time a shipping container and insurance is the best and most cost effective option, IMO.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: DocHorton] #8356457 08/19/21 03:30 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Actually I have used my insurance. Had an accident and repair bill was almost $6k to fix my Ranger....cost me $250 deductible. Insurance is around $120 a year if I remember correctly, which is about what 2-3 months at a storage facility will cost you.

The great thing about insurance is I don't care if it gets stolen...I'll just get a new one. No different than if someone steals my truck or car.

Myself. I don't want to get ripped off, but the cost for the peace of mind is worth the few $'s. I'm way ahead on travel trailers that got hammered by hail. My ATV is covered as well.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8356483 08/19/21 03:57 PM
G
Gringo Bling Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
If the property has locked gates and cellular cameras, I think shipping containers with secure locks are just as safe as a storage facility. Not to mention far more convenient and cheaper over the long term.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8356495 08/19/21 04:22 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I may be wrong, but to me it would depend where the property is.

Use to hunt a place in east-ish Texas when in college meth heads etc. made regular visits to steal stuff, they made several trips broke into a cabin, stole stuff from a barn. They came close but never made it into the container. In south Texas it seems to be a different story. If you have something somewhat fortified that doesn't look like it houses food and water your ok. Had a metal building up for 13 years in south Texas that is a lot less fortified than a shipping container with no attempts at entry.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8356544 08/19/21 04:58 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
We had an issue here a couple years ago, where some guys were stealing the whole loaded container from farms. They would jack up one end with a couple high-lift jacks, and then winch onto a low flat bed trailer and drive off. Empty it at their shop at their leisure, then were selling the container and contents. Finally got caught with a GPS locator.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: DocHorton] #8356547 08/19/21 05:03 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

The great thing about insurance is I don't care if it gets stolen...I'll just get a new one.

If you aren't gonna haul it back and forth every time a shipping container and insurance is the best and most cost effective option, IMO.

I have all my stuff insured as well but just because they replace it doesn’t mean your premiums won’t go up at some point, try going to get a new policy with that claim on thr and see what happens. You will most definitely pay for it at some point and if you don’t the next guy will.

If your determined to leave stuff unattended out in the woods then a container is definitely the way to go but eventually you will become a victim and it only takes a few minutes to get them, it’s the matter of when and not if. If a thief knows something is unattended during the week and he needs cash then your a target,

I understand exactly what your saying but I have about 4 million in equipment insured at any given time and I don’t care where you park it, hide it and lock it up at if they know it’s thr and need some cash your screwed. We’ve tried storage containers locked up on job sites and they can cut them open in less than 5 minutes and even tried a container with a few atv’s in them on property’s and they didn’t work either. Thief’s around here are also now using drones to fly over areas looking for stuff to steal, try going hunting early one morning only to show up at 5am and all your craps gone LOL or a job site and your equipments missing. Been in both situations and it sucks so you guys do what you want but I don’t trust my stuff left unattended in the woods any more period. I park equipment at neighbors houses close by and give them a few bucks for their trouble and I don’t leave hunting equipment or side by sides in the woods period other than our property close by the house here where their within rifle range.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8356701 08/19/21 08:16 PM
M
Mr Squatch Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
If you are able to find a container with a covered lock point between the doors, or add one yourself, that seems to work well. We have some and use the Abus 92/65 lock.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8356703 08/19/21 08:20 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Container costs have skyrocketed.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8356795 08/19/21 10:17 PM
S
Stompy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I used a container that had a welded box concealing the lock so it couldn't be cut with bolt cutters.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Stompy] #8356799 08/19/21 10:20 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Stompy
I used a container that had a welded box concealing the lock so it couldn't be cut with bolt cutters.

Best method here using a lock for a storage container, thr hard to lock and unlock but your best line of defense. A portable acy torch will be in them in about 2 minutes but it’s way better than nothing.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Ol Thumper] #8356810 08/19/21 10:33 PM
G
Gringo Bling Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I have about 4 million in equipment .

Big timing everyone on this thread.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8356827 08/19/21 11:05 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Obviously do not know Ol Thumper.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Gringo Bling] #8356835 08/19/21 11:16 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
I have about 4 million in equipment .

Big timing everyone on this thread.

I wasn’t trying to one up anyone, my point was I have a lot of stuff scattered around in the woods and thieves will get it if it’s accessible and don't take it lightly. Use my stupidity as a guide on what not to do, If that came off as baller talk that’s most certainly not the case because I’m far from it but If you took it that way that’s your choice I guess.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8357209 08/20/21 01:29 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I cut out a square piece of 1/2 inch plate with a 4.5 inch angle grinder and a cut off wheel in less than 10 minutes including drawing it out and changing a disc. Most of your illegals and meth heads I would assume are not running around with that kind of stuff though.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8357252 08/20/21 02:21 PM
C
ChrisG Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I would use a shipping container with a lock that cannot be cut with bolt cutters.

We have a metal barn with one roll up door and have had the lock cut twice.

It is only used for hay storage. They will break into anything.

Luckily I live close enough to my property that I bring and take everything I need with with me.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: txtrophy85] #8357299 08/20/21 03:07 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
We always used shipping containers and heavy master locks.

Never had any issues

Yep, we have two shipping containers with covers over the locks. A cutting torch will defeat it but otherwise I feel good about the containers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide