Re: 12 years of AR [Re: Old Rabbit] #8351084 08/14/21 01:18 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
Originally Posted by Tonkagar
For everyone claiming this is hurting their genetics, do you have any pictures of these "old, inferior deer?" Its been a blessing for East Texas, now we just need less 20 acre tracts with 15 people hunting it.

What county in East Texas are you talking about. East Texas covers a pretty long area. As for Harrison County, the part of the county I hunt has a lot of narrow but very tall genetics.
I see a whole lot of the comments about loving AR's are coming from the Western side of I-35 or South Texas.

It really does not matter where you are in the state, the 13" AR rules are the same. They were started for various reasons in the counties that have them. There are pockets in every county that have good deer that did not need AR's...but the rest of the county may have wanted or needed them. Some started local WMA that led to county wide WMA's. I was in a county that was a transitional habitat from Post Oak Savanahs to the northern parts of the county to Coastal Prairies in the south and east part to South Texas habitats in the west. The counties in "South Texas" that are in AR's are closer to San Antonio...those counties are mainly subdivided small acreage tracts now. I lived in Colorado County and the uproar when they went to AR's was huge. The locals were divided on their like or dislike of the AR's years ago before I lived there. I lived there from 2006 to 2012. By 2008 or so you could not find anyone who disliked the AR's in that county. Same in the adjoining counties.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: 12 years of AR [Re: KennyLee] #8351104 08/14/21 01:39 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Always educational STX. up

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: 12 years of AR [Re: KennyLee] #8351125 08/14/21 01:55 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I went to public meetings in both Houston and Nacogdoches counties before ARs were adopted. Contrary to what many might think, the vast majority in attendance were strongly in favor of them. I haven’t personally met anyone in either county that is not grateful they are in place.

I know a few are, but it’s not many.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: 12 years of AR [Re: Tonkagar] #8351127 08/14/21 02:02 AM
K
KennyLee Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
K
For everyone claiming this is hurting their genetics, do you have any pictures of these "old, inferior deer?" Its been a blessing for East Texas, now we just need less 20 acre tracts with 15 people hunting it.

I first started running cameras back when they were film (late 90’s) and have pictures for almost every year since.

Prior to 2009 (first year of AR in Wise County) 130 inch deer were common with an occasional “monster” in the 155-170 range (neighbor killed a 172 around 2004 and another killed one over 170 in 2018). The last buck I had on camera that would score over 140 was 5-7 years ago.

I’m not going to go to the trouble of digging through all those pics to show my proof as the point of this thread was to see if others had similar experiences. I assumed I was in the minority and based on the responses so far it appears that is the case.

Re: 12 years of AR [Re: KennyLee] #8351158 08/14/21 02:45 AM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Double edged sword.

Many deer have survived to achieve much better potential than they otherwise may have before this was implemented.

Many deer have also been allowed to breed inferior genetics as a result of this as well.

We knocked a lot of the latter issue out of the discussion several years ago via MLD. That was lost due to a disruption with wind turbine construction and it is slowly creeping back. I am hopeful we can convince the lease manager to get that back up and running before the tide turns.

Re: 12 years of AR [Re: KennyLee] #8351223 08/14/21 03:59 AM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
We see much better antlers in Franklin County. Like the AR law.

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: 12 years of AR [Re: KennyLee] #8351246 08/14/21 04:31 AM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I had a lease for a number of years in Erath County. The genetics were poor, most bucks seen were culls. After the AR's started, we started to see some quality bucks. I think the AR's made a positive difference. I am now on a lease in Mills County. We are not MLD. The ranch is overrun with doe, and deer in general. I saw numerous 8 point basket racks, last season. In this setting, I don't think the AR's are needed. I think the AR's help more in areas with high hunting pressure.

Re: 12 years of AR [Re: stxranchman] #8351308 08/14/21 11:07 AM
Pootie Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by Old Rabbit

What county in East Texas are you talking about. East Texas covers a pretty long area. As for Harrison County, the part of the county I hunt has a lot of narrow but very tall genetics.
I see a whole lot of the comments about loving AR's are coming from the Western side of I-35 or South Texas.

It really does not matter where you are in the state, the 13" AR rules are the same. They were started for various reasons in the counties that have them. There are pockets in every county that have good deer that did not need AR's...but the rest of the county may have wanted or needed them. Some started local WMA that led to county wide WMA's. I was in a county that was a transitional habitat from Post Oak Savanahs to the northern parts of the county to Coastal Prairies in the south and east part to South Texas habitats in the west. The counties in "South Texas" that are in AR's are closer to San Antonio...those counties are mainly subdivided small acreage tracts now. I lived in Colorado County and the uproar when they went to AR's was huge. The locals were divided on their like or dislike of the AR's years ago before I lived there. I lived there from 2006 to 2012. By 2008 or so you could not find anyone who disliked the AR's in that county. Same in the adjoining counties.

I do see better antlers in Colorado Co. than before, but also the knot-heads that need to be removed are still there as well, and will be with AR, so you can find those who are unhappy or dislike the ARs as they currently stand. Born there, still there.

If you find yourself feeling useless, remember it took 20 years, trillions of dollars, and four presidents to replace the Taliban with the Taliban.

Sometimes the Universe puts you in the same situation again to see if you’re still a dumbass.
Re: 12 years of AR [Re: KennyLee] #8351314 08/14/21 11:23 AM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
So. . . The thing I've never really understood, is why
people worry so much about what other people admire
about a deer and what they use to kill it with

Re: 12 years of AR [Re: KennyLee] #8351517 08/14/21 04:17 PM
R
Retired and hunting Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I have hunted the big thicket national park every year since it started,not so much now due to my slightly advanced age and sore knees,but my buddy and I still make two or three days every year in the big sandy unit in Polk county.now I am not any kind of expert but we’ve taken several good bucks over the years and for sure the the bucks have gotten better over the last 5 or 6 years,we’ve seen more mature deer with bigger heavier antlers than we’ve ever seen, and I’m convinced it’s due to the AR . I’m not a trophy hunter but it’s great to have the opportunity to take a good buck

Don't know where I'm goin but I'm makin good time
Re: 12 years of AR [Re: KennyLee] #8354623 08/17/21 11:02 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by KennyLee
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Sounds like your neighbors are thinning the buck herd, more than anything. When you get 1-2 mature bucks on 300-500 acres, and you split that 5-6 ways and get 1-2 hunters on each small property, you're probably lucky to see any buck deer. Would you say there is more hunting pressure now than when you started?

I know in Mills county they have worked well. We have more mature deer with larger racks than ever before. Now if we could just get the locals to reduce the doe population we'd be in better shape.

This is what I am seeing. We had quite a few bucks that were legal, but we wanted to see them gain another year. However, we also have new neighbors and more hunters now than we had before. Many of those bucks disappeared in Nov/Dec, never to be seen again. Hunting pressure is killing our wide bucks, not AR's.

Are you sure?

It’s always hunting pressure that takes animals. My perspective is that the hunting pressure was there all along, but AR’s forced it to target wider bucks, regardless of age. This resulted in smaller bucks getting to walk because they weren’t legal. However, young wide bucks were taken. Over 12 years, the inferior bucks have become common.

Well, I AM SURE that there is more hunting pressure. Old neighbors to the South East sold property. They were not hunters, but new neighbors are. Neighbor to direct south is not a hunter, but now lets a family member hunt there. Neighbor to the north used to not hunt. Sold property and new owners put up a stand right on our fenceline. Not only are they hunters, but they are fenceline hunters.

Re: 12 years of AR [Re: KennyLee] #8354698 08/18/21 12:21 AM
C
Catperch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
The thing that bothers me on the AR reg is having to sit in the stand and tell a 10 year old he can't shoot a buck that would be a huge trophy for him and his first buck because he's not wide enough. Trying to get a kid hooked on hunting is hard enough nowadays, but when they make 3 or 4 hunts and have to watch nice bucks they can't shoot for their first deer, I don't blame them for not wanting to go back. Just wish there was at least an age exception.

Re: 12 years of AR [Re: KennyLee] #8354766 08/18/21 01:03 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I didnt really focus of reading all of this real close, but my 2cents.
Im pretty sure the reason AR was put in place was solely to keep younger bucks from getting killed. There was never any INTENT to help or harm the future genetics. The assumption(USUALLY correct) was that real narrow bucks were young. I think that GENERALLY counties were picked that were felt to not have hunters and lease groups in place with the proper management mindset to be able to manage the age structure otherwise. This lack of a management mindset may mostly be due to smaller landholdings where even if a hunter wants to manage for age, he simply doesnt cause he thinks his neighbor will kill what he doesnt. The painting on an entire county, or Region, with the same brush is partly helped with MLD for those that choose. Im not going to say that its a good idea or bad but I think that is the WHY of why it was done.
As an aside, when they started the program, I think they expected so much backlash, that they threw in the ability to kill a spike just to appease hunters.
In most of the State that is known to manage more for Trophies there isnt the need for AR because guys(as a rule) make kill decisions on age estimates and dont need other means. At least this is the thinking of the decision makers.
It seems that most(not all) agree that it has been a big help. The only thing I can suggest to those that dont like the rule is to try and hunt elsewhere. I dont mean that to sound bad and I know that may not be practical, but I think its just the only alternative.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: 12 years of AR [Re: KennyLee] #8354831 08/18/21 01:58 AM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L

I first started running cameras back when they were film (late 90’s) and have pictures for almost every year since.

Prior to 2009 (first year of AR in Wise County) 130 inch deer were common with an occasional “monster” in the 155-170 range (neighbor killed a 172 around 2004 and another killed one over 170 in 2018). The last buck I had on camera that would score over 140 was 5-7 years ago.

I’m not going to go to the trouble of digging through all those pics to show my proof as the point of this thread was to see if others had similar experiences. I assumed I was in the minority and based on the responses so far it appears that is the case.

Born and raised near your place, hunted Wise and Jack counties hard my entire life. My perception and experience has been the exact opposite. I see more quality deer now than ever before and see more big deer harvested.

Deer populations continue to rise as you referenced, it could be a carrying capacity problem. There are cattle and goats on nearby property limiting forage and neighborhoods being built.

Re: 12 years of AR [Re: Catperch] #8354863 08/18/21 02:26 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted by Catperch
The thing that bothers me on the AR reg is having to sit in the stand and tell a 10 year old he can't shoot a buck that would be a huge trophy for him and his first buck because he's not wide enough. Trying to get a kid hooked on hunting is hard enough nowadays, but when they make 3 or 4 hunts and have to watch nice bucks they can't shoot for their first deer, I don't blame them for not wanting to go back. Just wish there was at least an age exception.

My son got hooked on hunting hogs and small game before ever shooting a deer. If your trying to get a kid hooked on hunting by sitting in a stand for hours waiting on a deer many will lose interest especially under 10 yrs of age.

Re: 12 years of AR [Re: Catperch] #8354899 08/18/21 03:25 AM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M

There SHOULD be an exception for young kids.
They should be able to shoot the first thing they see

Trophies and "good " deer are subject to individual
interpretation. A trophy and a "good " deer to many
is a big rack to mount and brag about and hang on
the office wall and post on farcebook.
A " good " deer to me is one that was too heavy to
move easily by myself and made me need more
freezer bags than I had on hand. Sometimes it can
mean one I could have nearly killed with my eyes closed

Re: 12 years of AR [Re: ChrisG] #8354916 08/18/21 04:04 AM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by ChrisG
I believe this begins the 12th year of AR’s in my county. From my perspective it has been a total bust. We have a relatively small property but are surrounded by much smaller properties. We’re now more than a deer generation removed from these changes. The results for me have been more mature deer, but they have inferior antlers. Any wide buck is killed the minute it hits 13 inches. It used to be common for me to see bucks 16-18 inches wide (with the widest I’ve taken being 22 inches) but those have now become unicorns. However, I am overrun with narrow bucks, most of which would never hit 13 inches.

I’m curious what others have experienced. It’s bad enough that I haven’t really cared much about hunting our place the last two years. After running cameras for the first time this year, I have zero excitement about the upcoming season.

I’m in Wise County for what it’s worth.

This is my experience as well and we are in Jack County.

I have seen good improvements in the deer here in Jack county since AR’s. Last year, I saw more 18” inside spread deer than I did 13” ans under, I have watched it slowly work. I also have some land in Young County, ans the results have been similar, maybe not quite as good as Jack. I am out and about every day in the County, and see lots of deer. I saw some great prospects this morning.

Re: 12 years of AR [Re: KennyLee] #8354918 08/18/21 04:07 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Seriously wish they would let kids under 14 kill whatever they want to though,

Last edited by Ol Thumper; 08/18/21 04:13 AM.
Re: 12 years of AR [Re: Ol Thumper] #8354932 08/18/21 05:33 AM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Seriously wish they would let kids under 14 kill whatever they want to though,

They should be able to. Anything that walks.
From a white spotter with milk on its chin on
up to a full blown bullwinkle

Re: 12 years of AR [Re: KennyLee] #8355027 08/18/21 12:08 PM
F
fishbait Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
I don't know the real data before and after AR. P&W should release as much info as possible. For me, as I remember before AR all bucks that had even a small rack got killed. Does were also over harvested...leaving a small herd. We have a high density of hunters causing a shortage of does. We had to fight to get P&W to cut down on permits. They did and the results now are we have a deer density of about 8 and a ratio of 1.3. To me this is great numbers, however we also are getting too many bucks with narrow racks, young and old. We are also taking bucks with nice racks and great weights. We need to be able to legally remove some of the narrow racks. Small acreage leases can not manage..unless all get together and agree on a plan. Still almost impossible.

Re: 12 years of AR [Re: KennyLee] #8355133 08/18/21 01:55 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Food for thought... in 2004 and 2018 we had flooding in my area. Good chance these outliers can be explained.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: 12 years of AR [Re: KennyLee] #8355143 08/18/21 02:00 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I think the increase in number of sub 13 inch deer spottings is just because for once they exist and are not shot before the finish nursing on their momma. My brother and I each bought small tracts to live on in an AR county. Many people hunt in the area. Ive gotten pictures of deer in the 150's and my brothers neighbor has shot some well into the 160's. With the land segmentation and hunting pressure I dont think those deer would ever have a chance of getting where they were without AR's. They keep people from killing all the deer. I do not buy into the belief that the AR's are breeding only narrow rack deer.

Hunted in a few counties north and west of college station when I was in college and from everyone I talked to AR's were not welcomed at first but really made a difference.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: 12 years of AR [Re: SapperTitan] #8355151 08/18/21 02:05 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by SapperTitan

My son got hooked on hunting hogs and small game before ever shooting a deer. If your trying to get a kid hooked on hunting by sitting in a stand for hours waiting on a deer many will lose interest especially under 10 yrs of age.

X2 on what sapper said. I dont personally think kids are too concerned with what they shoot. Shoot a spike, shoot a doe, they will not care. Does are available to shoot in youth season in my AR county.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: 12 years of AR [Re: redchevy] #8355282 08/18/21 03:47 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by redchevy
I think the increase in number of sub 13 inch deer spottings is just because for once they exist and are not shot before the finish nursing on their momma. My brother and I each bought small tracts to live on in an AR county. Many people hunt in the area. Ive gotten pictures of deer in the 150's and my brothers neighbor has shot some well into the 160's. With the land segmentation and hunting pressure I dont think those deer would ever have a chance of getting where they were without AR's. They keep people from killing all the deer. I do not buy into the belief that the AR's are breeding only narrow rack deer.

Hunted in a few counties north and west of college station when I was in college and from everyone I talked to AR's were not welcomed at first but really made a difference.

Quite often I find myself agreeing with RedChevy.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: 12 years of AR [Re: KennyLee] #8355289 08/18/21 03:54 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I read your post after I made mine. I could have said the same about yours cheers

It's hell eatin em live
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide