Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,695
Posts9,727,870
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Richland Creek WMA - Trinity Unit & Nannie Stringfellow WMA #8353625 08/16/21 10:11 PM
A
AustinBush Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Question for anyone who has hunted these two locations. I am looking to put in for Drawn Hunts and was wondering if anyone has any insight regarding ease of access to the hunting compartments. Richland Creek is recommending the use of ATVs / ORVs and Nannie Stringfellow is highly recommending them.

I've tried researching both locations and I know the north unit of Richland is accessible by truck/car but I can't find any information on the South Unit or Trinity Unit. I also found some information on Nannie saying trucks should have no problems and other information saying it's too muddy even for a 4x4 and the trails are not wide enough for a truck. confused2

All I have is a 4x4 F250 so I don't want to take up a spot for someone who can better utilize the hunt if they have an ATV.

Re: Richland Creek WMA - Trinity Unit & Nannie Stringfellow WMA [Re: AustinBush] #8353643 08/16/21 10:28 PM
2flyfish4 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Google the contact numbers for the wma's and give them a call to confirm.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Richland Creek WMA - Trinity Unit & Nannie Stringfellow WMA [Re: 2flyfish4] #8353656 08/16/21 10:40 PM
A
AustinBush Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
Google the contact numbers for the wma's and give them a call to confirm.

The numbers are list on the brochures and I will call them, I am just looking to see if anyone had any first hand experience.

Re: Richland Creek WMA - Trinity Unit & Nannie Stringfellow WMA [Re: AustinBush] #8353658 08/16/21 10:47 PM
C
cos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Iv hunted Richland Creek. South Side. You choose the area you want to hunt unless someone else chooses it first. There was several areas where you will be fine with just a pickup. i needed a 4 wheeler to get to where i chose. Be best to drive over there and look it over and visit with a staff member.

Re: Richland Creek WMA - Trinity Unit & Nannie Stringfellow WMA [Re: cos] #8353683 08/16/21 11:21 PM
A
AustinBush Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Originally Posted by cos
Iv hunted Richland Creek. South Side. You choose the area you want to hunt unless someone else chooses it first. There was several areas where you will be fine with just a pickup. i needed a 4 wheeler to get to where i chose. Be best to drive over there and look it over and visit with a staff member.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to scope it out during Teal season but looks like this year Richland Creek went draw hunts only for early Teal. I applied so hopefully I get picked but if I don't I will give the number a call and/or make a trip out.

Re: Richland Creek WMA - Trinity Unit & Nannie Stringfellow WMA [Re: AustinBush] #8354251 08/17/21 03:53 PM
nak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
We have a weekend place near there. I have never tried from one of he drawn hunts.

I shot a few ducks there. Usually a line of folks waiting to get in each morning.

Dove season is a good excuse to carry a shotgun while you let the dogs there, but its mostly just getting the dogs in shape for quail season...they torque up a couple of extra notches when you carry an gun.
I have never been there opening weekend for dove, but after opening weekend, have rarely seen anyone trying to dove hunt there. I bought 2 boxes of steel dove load about 4 years go...I doubt I have shot 10 times.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Richland Creek WMA - Trinity Unit & Nannie Stringfellow WMA [Re: AustinBush] #8356088 08/19/21 03:27 AM
P
Pappashack Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I duck hunted the south part last year twice. It has really good roads for the most part you can drive a regular pick up truck right to your spots. They do have several spots you need a 4 wheeler or side by side to get to. But they are good about assigning you a spot you can get to. It was great hunting both trips fingers crossed I get drawn again this year.
And for the record I was drawn once by tpwd and the other time was a alternate draw. And yes there are lots of people there to draw for the alternate.

Last edited by Pappashack; 08/19/21 03:29 AM.
Re: Richland Creek WMA - Trinity Unit & Nannie Stringfellow WMA [Re: Pappashack] #8356396 08/19/21 02:16 PM
A
AustinBush Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Originally Posted by Pappashack
I duck hunted the south part last year twice. It has really good roads for the most part you can drive a regular pick up truck right to your spots. They do have several spots you need a 4 wheeler or side by side to get to. But they are good about assigning you a spot you can get to. It was great hunting both trips fingers crossed I get drawn again this year.
And for the record I was drawn once by tpwd and the other time was a alternate draw. And yes there are lots of people there to draw for the alternate.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate the insight. It's good to know they try and give you a compartment depending on your accessibility.

Re: Richland Creek WMA - Trinity Unit & Nannie Stringfellow WMA [Re: AustinBush] #8357002 08/20/21 01:55 AM
P
Pappashack Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
You bet. Hope you win one of the draws and hope I do to. If I don’t I be there looking for a alternate draw every week they have one lol. May the birds be plentiful

Re: Richland Creek WMA - Trinity Unit & Nannie Stringfellow WMA [Re: Pappashack] #8357284 08/20/21 02:52 PM
A
AustinBush Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
You bet. Hope you win one of the draws and hope I do to. If I don’t I be there looking for a alternate draw every week they have one lol. May the birds be plentiful

How does the alternate draw work, if you don't mind me asking? Is it posted and you need to reapply or is it show up and see if any of the drawn hunts don't show up during orientation?

Re: Richland Creek WMA - Trinity Unit & Nannie Stringfellow WMA [Re: AustinBush] #8357589 08/20/21 08:25 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted by AustinBush

How does the alternate draw work, if you don't mind me asking? Is it posted and you need to reapply or is it show up and see if any of the drawn hunts don't show up during orientation?

He is just talking about an on site standby draw.

From the faq:

Will Standby Hunts still be available?
Yes, Standby Hunts may be available if all hunt positions are not accepted. Call the hunt area starting 5 days before the first day of the hunt to find out if any are available.

Re: Richland Creek WMA - Trinity Unit & Nannie Stringfellow WMA [Re: AustinBush] #8357606 08/20/21 09:04 PM
A
AustinBush Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
rock_on

Re: Richland Creek WMA - Trinity Unit & Nannie Stringfellow WMA [Re: AustinBush] #8358006 08/21/21 03:49 AM
B
Boudreaux Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I've hunted Stringfellow. If you can manage to get the hunt area closest to the check station, then you can walk into it from the parking lot. Other than that, some type of ATV is highly recommended, once you get out of the parking lot, the ground is usually really soft. It's all River bottom. I grew up in that area, got drawn to hunt it 3 years ago. Shot a nice mixed bag.

Stickin' gills and Stackin' bills

In a world of compromise..... some dont....
Re: Richland Creek WMA - Trinity Unit & Nannie Stringfellow WMA [Re: Boudreaux] #8360462 08/23/21 01:51 PM
A
AustinBush Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Originally Posted by Boudreaux
I've hunted Stringfellow. If you can manage to get the hunt area closest to the check station, then you can walk into it from the parking lot. Other than that, some type of ATV is highly recommended, once you get out of the parking lot, the ground is usually really soft. It's all River bottom. I grew up in that area, got drawn to hunt it 3 years ago. Shot a nice mixed bag.

Thank you! Appreciate the information.

Re: Richland Creek WMA - Trinity Unit & Nannie Stringfellow WMA [Re: AustinBush] #8373413 09/03/21 04:00 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Question for anyone who has hunted these two locations. I am looking to put in for Drawn Hunts and was wondering if anyone has any insight regarding ease of access to the hunting compartments. Richland Creek is recommending the use of ATVs / ORVs and Nannie Stringfellow is highly recommending them.

I've tried researching both locations and I know the north unit of Richland is accessible by truck/car but I can't find any information on the South Unit or Trinity Unit. I also found some information on Nannie saying trucks should have no problems and other information saying it's too muddy even for a 4x4 and the trails are not wide enough for a truck. confused2

All I have is a 4x4 F250 so I don't want to take up a spot for someone who can better utilize the hunt if they have an ATV.

Any luck drawing the Teal hunt by chance? I drew the middle hunt dates.

Re: Richland Creek WMA - Trinity Unit & Nannie Stringfellow WMA [Re: Sniper John] #8373846 09/03/21 06:23 PM
2flyfish4 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Sniper John

I was hoping to get drawn but didn't. Let us know how it goes

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Richland Creek WMA - Trinity Unit & Nannie Stringfellow WMA [Re: AustinBush] #8374273 09/04/21 01:48 AM
P
Pappashack Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I missed out on the teal this year. Hoping maybe they will have a few alternate draw spots open on the 10

Good luck Snipe John may the birds be plenty and your aim be straight

Re: Richland Creek WMA - Trinity Unit & Nannie Stringfellow WMA [Re: Sniper John] #8374427 09/04/21 09:30 AM
machine73 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
[/quote]

I drew the same and don't really know a whole lot about waterfowl hunting. I've shot all of 1 blue wing in my life.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide