Print Thread
Retriever trainer question #8353926 08/17/21 04:00 AM
M
Moe #2 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
All the labrador retriever trainers websites seem to be close to the same time guestament on a basic hunter training for dogs. Maybe I'm wrong but that not really my question. No matter how long they guess it to be. Is it common for trainers to train a dog to perform at a certain level then stop. Or keep enhancing the dogs skills
Until a certain time is reached? I ask because if a trainers says it should take 6 to 7 months to train your dog to a certain level and the dog does it at 5 months should the trainer stop enhancing the dog? Call and send the dog home ? Or just start on to more advanced techniques?
Most seem to get paid buy the month and I know if your dog can't learn quick enough you could add on more time. But it would be nice to know that if your dog excelled in a shorter amount of time that for the same monthly fees your dogs skills would be improved to a more advanced status than basic hunter.
Or would the dog be just a better basic hunter if they keep doing the same drills over again?
I only ask because I'm totally clueless about this topic.

Re: Retriever trainer question [Re: Moe #2] #8354101 08/17/21 01:31 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Good question.
I have pointers, not retrievers. I’ve always been given a choice. The dog can stay and do more advanced training, or take them home early and hunt them.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Retriever trainer question [Re: Moe #2] #8354115 08/17/21 01:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Those are estimates. The level you want is dependent on your wants and budget.

A good trainer will keep you a breast on progress and their future thoughts relative to your goal and budget. If they are a head of their class, most likely they will continue to re-enforce current level, if you have finite max time set. Can Reps makes the dog,

I’ve seen a guide dog that gets 2-3k birds a year out work and out mark a master hunter that gets 5 hunts a year after training.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Retriever trainer question [Re: Moe #2] #8354278 08/17/21 04:36 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Biggest mistake I see people make is to drop a dog off and wait for a phone call. Be involved in your dogs training...go meet with the trainer and be a bird boy or work on your dog with the trainers assistance. You control how much and how long...the guidelines are what the trainer sets in order to lay out the expectations but you should be involved enough to know what is going on and how your dog is looking. Before going to the trainer...your dog cannot be too obedient...that is one solid way to reduce time at the trainers, have your dog sharp as a tack with obedience. Many are not and that is where a big amount of time is spent early on...many don't stay as sharp once they are brought home either. Today, my dog isn't near as sharp as if she was being regularly trained and ready to go every day...her first two years with me was a TON of work and the only faults she has were mine...she's an 09 model and just enjoying the retired life at this point.

Also, I say all that and there are times that it might be beneficial to not being involved...ex - force fetch is a great example. I did force fetch on my current dog and while it's very beneficial and a requirement for a retriever in my mind, it's not easy and very frustrating for both you and the dog. I'm confident in saying that I wouldn't have made it through it without some help and assistance from some folks who knew a lot more than me. I don't know that I want to do another one again...but I also don't want someone I don't trust to do it either.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Retriever trainer question [Re: Moe #2] #8354504 08/17/21 09:05 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
You pretty much answered your own question. If a dog is up to speed in 4 months when it was scheduled for 6 months, why would they send him home? That kennel has to be full at all times or they are losing money. Not all trainers do this. Reputable trainers don't. Go to my website and look at the facilities on my site. The trainers I have on the list are top notch people. They built strong business by delivering a good quality product, not filling a hole in the kennel. In fact most of the facilities on there have waiting lists to get dog into their program.

Judd^^^ is spot on with that advice.

Re: Retriever trainer question [Re: Moe #2] #8354912 08/18/21 03:45 AM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Bottom line is that you need to be involvedin the dogs training. This way you can see the improvements in the dog.Some pros move along at the speed of the dog, and some will move along at their own pace.The more involved you are, the more likely yours will move along at a pace you are comfortable with.You should always be involved with your dogs training.

Robby

Re: Retriever trainer question [Re: Birdhunter61] #8355129 08/18/21 01:54 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Birdhunter61
Bottom line is that you need to be involvedin the dogs training. This way you can see the improvements in the dog.Some pros move along at the speed of the dog, and some will move along at their own pace.The more involved you are, the more likely yours will move along at a pace you are comfortable with.You should always be involved with your dogs training.

Robby

This^

If you are involved in the dog's training you'll know when he's ready and you'll know if your dog is being trained appropriately.

If you drop off the dog, come back in 6 months, be prepared to be very disappointed. Even if the trainer does a good job you won't know how to handle your dog appropriately.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Retriever trainer question [Re: Moe #2] #8358427 08/21/21 06:33 PM
M
Moe #2 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
Ok. The trainer I'm looking at does encourage you working with your dog a couple of times a month. I my case I'm not to far away so visiting will be simple enough. If I schedule a certain amount of months of training it wouldn't be right to pull the dog earlier than planned. I know the kennel needs to keep dogs and scheduling is important. I would like to know that training techniques would increase as the dogs ability progressed.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide